daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 11th, 2015, 07:49 PM   #4281
baseball1992

Likes (Received): 262

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycaddict View Post
designing a tower to appear as if its about to fall over is honestly really inappropriate and distasteful for a site such as this. Why would you ever build a tower to look like its tipping over on a site like the World Trade Center? Everything about this building is just awful.
It is also distasteful to build a tower that King Kong can use as steps to get the to the top of 1WTC easier.

Sponsored Links
Old June 11th, 2015, 07:51 PM   #4282
JezNY

Likes (Received): 5

The building does look dangerously flimsy. Not my cup of tea, but the optimist in me hopes they will make major changes before it actually is built. It really does not work at all design-wise & does not compliment 1wtc at all.

onewtclover liked this post
JezNY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2015, 07:58 PM   #4283
Fluxit
Fluxit Builders

Likes (Received): 822

Here is more about the big design.
http://jyllands-posten.dk/internatio...-Trade-Center/

Imho. this is really lame. Fosters design was way better. There is no innovation in the design. No wow effect. Just boxes on top of boxes - at one of the premier, most prestigeous places in the world. I simply don't get it - Go to Shanghai if you want to see amazing skyscrapers - go to New york if you want to see boring boxes - with no creativity ?

For danish architecture this is equally bad - as we are the country of Joern Utzon - not routine stuff?
Money might secure that this building becomes a reality, not architectural value.

They should be forced to make a free competition, where architects from all of the world could show how this spot should look given constraints from the money behind the project.

Fluxit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2015, 08:13 PM   #4284
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

Why does YIMBY like it then? Paul Goldberger? Maybe everyone else is acting childish and lame about this, not even giving it a fair shake. Well, it's most likely what's going up there, haters, and it sure isn't my first choice... but move on already.
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2015, 08:19 PM   #4285
Lt. H Caine

Likes (Received): 4663

I think this building is very interesting and unique... but it doesn't fit as well with the other WTC towers as i would like. I'm trying to think of this as the glass is half full though, not the glass is half empty.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by Lt. H Caine; June 11th, 2015 at 08:30 PM.
Lt. H Caine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2015, 08:30 PM   #4286
weidncol
WTC Enthusiast/Researcher

Likes (Received): 4623

I think from some angles it actually fits better, but that's me.
Old June 11th, 2015, 08:41 PM   #4287
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22528

The one and only angle which it might fit better is from the east, in Brooklyn. From there it might allow us to see more of 1 WTC.

imo, this

is infinitely better than this.

no contest here either.

Last edited by Hudson11; June 11th, 2015 at 08:51 PM.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2015, 08:45 PM   #4288
weidncol
WTC Enthusiast/Researcher

Likes (Received): 4623

Not just that but also when looking northeast. From there, it flows better with the other buildings.

weidncol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2015, 08:49 PM   #4289
lsg97

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybooster View Post
Why does YIMBY like it then? Paul Goldberger? Maybe everyone else is acting childish and lame about this, not even giving it a fair shake. Well, it's most likely what's going up there, haters, and it sure isn't my first choice... but move on already.
Because it's "Y"imby not "N"imby. They're generally pro-development, which basically is a good thing being so rare in present days, however sometimes they reflect a bit too less imo.

lsg97 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2015, 08:57 PM   #4290
Lt. H Caine

Likes (Received): 4663

Yeah Foster's design fits better from those angles... but in all honesty the new design doesn't look all that bad from those renderings. Its starting to grow on me a little more... but Foster's design will always be superior!!

ryaboisse liked this post
Lt. H Caine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2015, 09:05 PM   #4291
AnOldBlackMarble
read lightship chronicles

Likes (Received): 5757

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
Wow, what a disaster. And this was my favorite tower in the complex.

In fact, this would have been a dream rebuild for me. But now they ruined it completely.

Last edited by AnOldBlackMarble; June 11th, 2015 at 09:14 PM.
AnOldBlackMarble no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2015, 09:14 PM   #4292
AnOldBlackMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtFan88 View Post
You know I was in the camp that really disliked this but after letting it sink in, I'm starting to like it.
It's called (Architectural) Stockholm Syndrome. You feel "trapped" because you don't' have a choice so you resign to accept it to save yourself the frustration.
Quote:
I have to wonder, if THIS were the design we got 14 years ago and got replaced by Foster's design now would people still react this way?
Nope. It would have been; "Oh nice, much better."

Manitopiaaa liked this post
Old June 11th, 2015, 09:22 PM   #4293
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 588

NEW YORK | 2WTC - 200 Greenwich St. | 411m | 1350ft | 88 fl | On Hold

Honestly I think this is very much the case of a spoiled brat wanting the Ferrari for his graduation gift. Yes there are many modifications that can make this tower better but this is going to be the tower and we are going to have to accept it

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2015, 09:23 PM   #4294
AnOldBlackMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeKindOfBug View Post
The problem Fox had with the original design was that it was never going to be built.

We're not playing minecraft here. The sky is the limit, and in this case that limit is money. The new design is simpler to build...
How do you figure? The Foster design was a simple straight up tower, with four creases and a slanted roof. The new one on the other hand, has a bunch of setbacks, which means re-setting the platform with each set back. Worse, yet you've got that crazy cantilever on the other side which also makes the engineering and construction much more complex. This one is definitely going to be more expensive to build.

NatFan9, onewtclover liked this post
Old June 11th, 2015, 09:27 PM   #4295
AnOldBlackMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybooster View Post
What do you mean childish? Beauty is instant. When we see something awesome or beautiful we are INSTANTLY awed by "it". On the other hand if you have to discuss and analyze something to "discover" its inner/hidden beauty, then it is not there.

Old June 11th, 2015, 09:34 PM   #4296
N.Y.C.H

Likes (Received): 407

Im really starting to like it now, i just hope they light the crown at night.
N.Y.C.H no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2015, 09:36 PM   #4297
hateman

Likes (Received): 1798

Good news everyone. They just released a new rendering of the building, and it's much more appropriate for the site, and Fox News.

New Rendering of The Freedom Fry:

We are seeking to follow the type of architecture which is good in the sense that it does not of necessity follow the whims of the moment but seeks an artistry that ought to be good, as far as we can tell, for all time to come. -FDR

We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us. -Winston Churchill
hateman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2015, 09:39 PM   #4298
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1035

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycaddict View Post
designing a tower to appear as if its about to fall over is honestly really inappropriate and distasteful for a site such as this. Why would you ever build a tower to look like its tipping over on a site like the World Trade Center? Everything about this building is just awful.
The twin towers didn't topple over when they were destroyed. They collapsed down upon themselves.

Not to mention, the original Foster design looked like the top third had been sheared off, which is actually a lot closer to the events of 9/11 than this silly pile of lego blocks.

Also, the two stepped sides of the buildings converge on the one vertical straight edge in the design, on the inner corner. It's a point of strength and clearly designed to look like it's holding the building up, firm and resolute. So one could argue the building exudes solidarity, rather than fragility.

9/11 has made people go crazy. They don't even know what it's about anymore. They just use it to fill the gaps in their vague sense of unease. This building doesn't look any more like it's falling over than Trump Tower or 111 Murray or 50 Hudson.
Or what about Beekman, that looks like it's crumbling apart. Or 80 South St, that looks like it's cut in half.

If you go looking for parallels, you'll find them in everything. It's not inappropriate or distasteful. The only thing that's inappropriate or distasteful about the WTC site is that it's still not finished more than a decade later.
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2015, 09:42 PM   #4299
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

World Trade Center starchitect Bjarke Ingels would have built the twin towers back the way they werehttp://www.nydailynews.com/life-styl...icle-1.2254683

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2015, 09:42 PM   #4300
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldBlackMarble View Post
Quote:
You know I was in the camp that really disliked this but after letting it sink in, I'm starting to like it.
It's called (Architectural) Stockholm Syndrome. You feel "trapped" because you don't' have a choice so you resign to accept it to save yourself the frustration.

Quote:
I have to wonder, if THIS were the design we got 14 years ago and got replaced by Foster's design now would people still react this way?
Nope. It would have been; "Oh nice, much better."
I agree. While it's true Foster's design is just an extruded building with nice detailing on the top, the simplicity of the tower is complemented with the great quality of materials and the special attention to detail. Those metallic fins running through every vertical mullion, or the stainless steel crowns at the top, or the dark cladding at the recessed walls played very well with the asymmetric geometry of the diamonds at the top. This coordination was intended to uplift Foster's design to a level of quality, gracefulness and elegance Ingel's design currently lacks. My judgement may be too early, and I hope we can soon receive new information regarding the facade details so that we can assess a better opinion. My only objection is, why did they showed us Foster's design? They could've save us the torment.

AnOldBlackMarble, Swiddle, NatFan9 liked this post

Last edited by Otie; June 11th, 2015 at 09:50 PM.
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
200 greenwich st., 2wtc, foster and partners, lower manhattan, new york, nyc, silverstein, supertall, world trade center