daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 13th, 2015, 11:14 PM   #4421
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Likes (Received): 2651

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanes11 View Post
Highly unlikely. They've been working on this design for over a year, and have a tight construction schedule.

I think the new design is better. The old one looks too 1990's postmodern, and the new one is simply better for the skyline, restores the Twins from some angles, and is better at street level.
According to Bjark the design process began in December. A long time but not quite a year. He also said they're still tweaking it so changes are possible.

ChuckScraperMiami#1, Zaz965 liked this post
bodegavendetta no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 13th, 2015, 11:15 PM   #4422
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 5898

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUBAI10000 View Post
BIG is a load of pathetic disfuctional architects that have no real knowledge on true architecture, my favorite tower on site is getting replaced by a hunk of shit just because a company the actual user of the building decided they want more room and different floor plans. This is unfair to not only the citizens of New York and America but to the entire world who would rather have Fosters design as a a New York landmark than this BIG monstrosity.

^ I say we all call BIG and let them know what a monstrosity they have created. I have already left links to the two different petitions of the design on BIG's instagram. I hope Bjark sees that we loads of people despise his tower.
You can have your way and now you're sad.
You're overreacting.
You behave like a giant child.

sylar82 liked this post
MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2015, 11:26 PM   #4423
DUBAI10000

Likes (Received): 436

35 pages of post's in just a few days. A petition signed by nearly 100 people in a few days all because of a horrible design.
DUBAI10000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2015, 11:28 PM   #4424
Juanes11

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by megalithe View Post
thats not how it works for these projects.
they get BIG tax breaks. and the public CAN make demands.
No, actually they don't. There are no tax breaks here, and the public plays no role in this development.

And people are pretty ridiculous in this thread because they assume that their opinion represents the public's opinion.

90% of people don't give a crap what design is being built for a tower, and this new design is actually very popular among the people who count (like the design community, the Port Authority, the other WTC architects, and the developer).

Not to be blunt but SSC general opinion is pretty much irrelevant. People don't care about skyscrapers (speaking generally) and the ones that do care (and count for such a project) want the Ingels design, not the Foster one.
Juanes11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2015, 11:31 PM   #4425
Juanes11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafaelkafka View Post

People are complaining because of this silly hatred against Fox. The project is stunning and the Seven Hanging Gardens are glorious.
Pretty much, yeah.

The funny thing is that if this were the original design, and they now changed it to the Foster design, everyone on this thread would be complaining. Because the Foster design is basically shorter and cheaper to build, and has less skyline and street level presence, you would see tons of "damn Silverstein cheaped out again" and "but this design doesn't reference the Twins like the Ingels" and "but what about the lost skyline presence".
Old June 13th, 2015, 11:37 PM   #4426
yankee fan for life

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanes11 View Post
Highly unlikely. They've been working on this design for over a year, and have a tight construction schedule.

I think the new design is better. The old one looks too 1990's postmodern, and the new one is simply better for the skyline, restores the Twins from some angles, and is better at street level.
Foster design was a masterpiece ! This design is a monstrosity in my opinion,the only decent angle is from Jersey City ! while the rest of us New Yorkers have to look at this crap!
yankee fan for life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2015, 11:38 PM   #4427
Juanes11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodegavendetta View Post
According to Bjark the design process began in December. A long time but not quite a year. He also said they're still tweaking it so changes are possible.
No, they started planning for this about a year ago. The current design was released to stakeholders back in December, but this has been in planning for a long time.

And yeah, obviously there could be tweaks, like with any building being built, but this is pretty much what we're getting.
Juanes11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2015, 11:39 PM   #4428
ebrown89

Likes (Received): 28

I read the Wired article where they talked about some of the symbolism they were going for. It's supposed to look like it's bowing toward 1WTC, which is stupid, if anything it should bow towards the memorial. They talked about how the "hanging gardens" would look out over St. Paul's Church, which is nice I guess. They'd have some sweet views at the very least, even though you could only sit out there for maybe 3-4 months out of the year.

Most interestingly, they said they were trying to preserve the "Wedge of Light" concept, saying the building will be angled in such a way that it will not block the view of the memorial from St. Paul's (though I thought the Wedge of Light referred to the reflection of sunlight on the memorial and the orientation of shadows, not the view from St. Paul's).

He incorporated a lot of "new wave" ideas that are kind of the 'in' thing right now: the elevated green spaces, terracing, organic workspaces, simplistic geometry. His assertion is that Foster is the past and he is the future. He also seems to have focused more on interior functionality than exterior aesthetics. The idea is that each "box" is its own unique space with different floor plans and functions. I think that notion has its merits. You don't just want something that looks good, you want a place that suits its tenants; where people will be excited to come to work every day. I get all that, but there needs to be a balance. My problem is that there's simply too much of all of this. It's too big and has next to no aesthetic appeal. There's nothing aesthetically pleasing about a box, let alone a bunch of them stacked on top of each other.
ebrown89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2015, 11:39 PM   #4429
weidncol
WTC Enthusiast/Researcher

Likes (Received): 4623

Oh just stop wining. You people sound like babies.
Old June 13th, 2015, 11:42 PM   #4430
yankee fan for life

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidncol View Post
Oh just stop wining. You people sound like babies.
Well feed me my bottle and put me to bed ! it still doesn't change the fact that this design is a letdown.

onewtclover liked this post
yankee fan for life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2015, 12:28 AM   #4431
evioive

Likes (Received): 18

Such a shame - it went from a unique show piece deserving of the site to an unremarkable filler in 2 seconds flat. If this does end up getting built I won't follow it at all, instead I'll wait for the new supertall worthy of adoration to be built in the same area (and who knows how long that would be).
evioive no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2015, 01:14 AM   #4432
Pohtija
Dragonlike

Likes (Received): 850

If I saw this for the first time I would be like "Oh look it's the massing model of the 2 WTC... Don't worry, it's just showing the proportions of the becoming actual tower design that is going to have a unique form and an original classy design."

That unique and classy design was the Foster design.

That's how bad it is. It's massing model bad !
Pohtija no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2015, 01:21 AM   #4433
WSB

Likes (Received): 43

If they're going to build this, hopefully, we'll be getting an outdoor observation deck.

Fabio1976 liked this post
WSB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2015, 02:23 AM   #4434
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1548

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_uk View Post

I don't know if this was posted here before it looks amazing design.
I'm sorry but the reasoning behind his "inspiration" for this design is rather dull and uninspiring. It's lazy. Cliche. Boring. And most notoriously unimaginative. I am not impressed. I'm done venting. Just build this "Leaning Tower of Blocks". Let it be.
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2015, 02:25 AM   #4435
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1548

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
There is the potential of another "thing" at the site.

What is this "potential other thing" all about?
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2015, 02:45 AM   #4436
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22541

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Dodd View Post
What is this "potential other thing" all about?
it also looks very Ingels like. There isn't enough space there for a tower that big, however.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2015, 02:49 AM   #4437
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 843

A few more thoughts about the new 2WTC design:

* Some people think Bjarke Ingels just isn't the right architect for the 2WTC job.

* "Tight construction schedule"? So the Bjarke Ingels design will be cheaper and quicker to construct than the Norman Foster design, even though we still have five years before this building opens?

* If anyone actually likes the new design of 2WTC, then I guess they are in the minority.

* At least Conde Nast didn't call for a change in the 1WTC design when they moved there. Too bad the New World Trade Center isn't New Times Square.

* To anyone who wants to have the precious skyline of Lower Manhattan preserved: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Your skyline is gonna get ruined!!!!

#RuinedForever

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2015, 02:50 AM   #4438
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
it also looks very Ingels like. There isn't enough space there for a tower that big, however.
It looks like the Beaver House.

Old June 14th, 2015, 03:07 AM   #4439
Dave-in-Toronto

Likes (Received): 682

I just saw the video for the redesign... some thoughts:

1) The rationale for the redesign seems really strained - a kind of homage to the old low-rise buildings in the TriBeca area, by putting them on top of one another in a skewed way (???)

2) The interior at the base looks overpowering, totalitarian and almost dehumanizing, with all that angled concrete.

3) The outdoor gardens seems like a very gimmicky idea, unlike the lovely interior gardens in the Shanghai Tower at the base of each of the zones. Would trees survive in the high winds aloft?

4) The Blue Danube waltz played in the background, and at one point, the birds chirped along with it. Who came up with that idea? Juvenile...
Old June 14th, 2015, 03:53 AM   #4440
The Lion

Likes (Received): 89

This is the Age of Ramses!

Beautiful tower!

I can't wait to see the supertall in Long Island City!

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
The Lion no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
200 greenwich st., 2wtc, foster and partners, lower manhattan, new york, nyc, silverstein, supertall, world trade center