daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 14th, 2015, 03:56 AM   #4441
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1548

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-in-Toronto View Post
I just saw the video for the redesign... some thoughts:

1) The rationale for the redesign seems really strained - a kind of homage to the old low-rise buildings in the TriBeca area, by putting them on top of one another in a skewed way (???)

2) The interior at the base looks overpowering, totalitarian and almost dehumanizing, with all that angled concrete.

3) The outdoor gardens seems like a very gimmicky idea, unlike the lovely interior gardens in the Shanghai Tower at the base of each of the zones. Would trees survive in the high winds aloft?

4) The Blue Danube waltz played in the background, and at one point, the birds chirped along with it. Who came up with that idea? Juvenile...
I would take a safe bet that trees would easily be able to grow at such heights and withstand the wind. They have been doing so for billions of years along mountainsides, even growing from the cracks of cliffs thousands of feet in height.
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 14th, 2015, 03:58 AM   #4442
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1548

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.F.2. View Post
It looks like the Beaver House.

Ugh...What an eye sore. Thank god it is hidden by the dense Downtown skyline.

mrsmartman liked this post
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2015, 05:06 AM   #4443
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

The worst part is that lifelike Beaver monument they erected on top of it.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by L.A.F.2.; June 14th, 2015 at 05:53 AM.
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2015, 05:19 AM   #4444
Simfan34
Complainer-in-Chief

Likes (Received): 2461

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
There is the potential of another "thing" at the site.

Old June 14th, 2015, 06:31 AM   #4445
NatFan9

Likes (Received): 536

I think the news tickers are easily the worst part. Please tell me that can be changed. This is Lower Manhattan, not Times Square, buildings shouldn't have screens on them.
NatFan9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2015, 06:52 AM   #4446
sylar82

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidncol View Post
Oh just stop wining. You people sound like babies.
I agree, the level of immaturity seen on this forum in the last few day is embarrassing. I think the petition is hilarious. I signed one with 350,000 people to bring treason charges against the republicans who signed that letter and gave it to Iran. That was ignored. But hey they got close to 100 on this one I expect Murdoch to get on his knees and beg for forgiveness soon. I mean a redesigned building IS more important than undermining and trying to sabotage a nuclear treaty to avoid another war. Maybe even Obama will chime in with almost ONE HUNDRED worried people. LOL.

Last edited by sylar82; June 14th, 2015 at 07:02 AM.
sylar82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2015, 07:11 AM   #4447
generalscarr

Likes (Received): 425

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylar82 View Post
I agree, the level of immaturity seen on this forum in the last few day is embarrassing. I think the petition is hilarious. I signed one with 350,000 people to bring treason charges against the republicans who signed that letter and gave it to Iran. That was ignored. But hey they got close to 100 on this one I expect Murdoch to get on his knees and beg for forgiveness soon. I mean a redesigned building IS more important than undermining and trying to sabotage a nuclear treaty to avoid another war. Maybe even Obama will chime in with almost ONE HUNDRED worried people. LOL.
They should do a mini march!
I'd go and watch, but I have to prepare - with 12 of my buddies we're signing a complaint to Chipotle because we're upset that they introduced tofu on their menu.
They can't do that! The old menu was far superior.
With our sheer numbers we'll force them to change it!

sylar82 liked this post
generalscarr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2015, 08:39 AM   #4448
MattTheTubaGuy
Skyscrapers to the stars

Likes (Received): 647

My opinion:
the original design is clearly superior to this new one, however the new design isn't really horrible.
I mean, if they put something like that Macau pineapple there, then THAT would be a huge mistake, but this is just a minor disappointment.

Complete and T/O Supertalls Map
U/C Supertalls Map
Prep and O/H Supertalls Map
All Supertalls map!

Google Earth map (WIP)

ZZ-II's World Supertalls List

view my buildings made on Maya

citybooster, Crowns n' Spires liked this post
MattTheTubaGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2015, 11:06 AM   #4449
Informative

Likes (Received): 69

The reason I love the original design, is because 1WTC and 2WTC seemed like a pair. Especially when looking from the angle of the Empire State building during construction. To me this new design does not go well with 1WTC because 2WTC had a very similar box shape going all the way up until the slanted diamonds. Both the two towers had similarities therefore and were reminiscent of the original twins.

This new tower seems disjointed and does not seem like it fits in. It seems designed for Fox and Newscorp rather than for the WTC site... I think it is incredible tragic because the original design was something people were looking forward to for so long. All we can do is hope that this new tower can still be as grand for the site, because ultimately it is about paying tribute to the memorial.

If all else fails, we have the WTC transportation hub hto direct our eyes towards and the rest of the site hehe...

Pohtija, lsg97, ebrown89, J Simpson Br liked this post
Informative no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2015, 01:44 PM   #4450
iRobz

Likes (Received): 3

I'm a long, long, long time lurker. Quite happy to browse building progress and check out the fantastic architecture around the world but this proposed redesign of 2WTC has given me the impetus to register with the site to voice my concern.

This is so disappointing. I really thought Foster's design was the epitome of classy design and would really stand out amongst the surrounding buildings on the site. Not wanting to sound detrimental to the architects of this new design but it looks like a tower of irregular lego bricks. An interesting concept and perhaps an interesting building in practice but surely not something worthy enough for the World Trade site.

As I type this, my first post on this forum, I feel like your atypical keyboard warrior spouting negativity, which is something I'm not prone to do in general, but this redesign has really put a dampener on this site and I truly believe a huge mistake is being made in dropping the original 2WTC.

My voice is but one of many in a sea of vitriol but perhaps stranger things will prevail and the powers that be reconsider this unfitting and garish building to be 2WTC.

Crowns n' Spires, Assemblage23 liked this post
iRobz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2015, 03:20 PM   #4451
karimbo

Likes (Received): 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Informative View Post
The reason I love the original design, is because 1WTC and 2WTC seemed like a pair. Especially when looking from the angle of the Empire State building during construction. To me this new design does not go well with 1WTC because 2WTC had a very similar box shape going all the way up until the slanted diamonds. Both the two towers had similarities therefore and were reminiscent of the original twins.

This new tower seems disjointed and does not seem like it fits in. It seems designed for Fox and Newscorp rather than for the WTC site... I think it is incredible tragic because the original design was something people were looking forward to for so long. All we can do is hope that this new tower can still be as grand for the site, because ultimately it is about paying tribute to the memorial.

If all else fails, we have the WTC transportation hub hto direct our eyes towards and the rest of the site hehe...

Exactly : all the buildings on the site were designed as an "ensemble" by Daniel Libeskind. If you take a look at the two clips I post here, there was a "theme". Rupert Murdoch comes in like a bulldozer and smashes it all down. How arrogant and disrespectful.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-14766880

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos...4-6d07ec9b26ce

Is it a done deal? Are we 100% sure that the "new" 2WTC will happen? Did someone ask Libeskind what he thinks of the idea?
karimbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2015, 03:25 PM   #4452
NatFan9

Likes (Received): 536

Is Silverstien ok with this design? I seem to remember him saying that the original was his favorite in the complex and he really wanted it built as is.
NatFan9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2015, 03:35 PM   #4453
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22541

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatFan9 View Post
Is Silverstien ok with this design? I seem to remember him saying that the original was his favorite in the complex and he really wanted it built as is.
he also wants to see the complex finished before he kicks the bucket. 84's an old age to still be in business. Heck, he's older than this bag o bones:

(two different businesses, of course )

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2015, 06:06 PM   #4454
autonauta
(ct)

Likes (Received): 134

The new design is not bad, but come on, the previous was an icon.
BCNx122 ALCx90 MADx17 GROx11 AMSx8 VLCx8 TFSx6 x5:BIO-BKK-CIA x4:ATH-BOG-CRL-DUB-FCO-HKG-IST-KUL-LTN-SIN-SXF x3:BLQ-BTS-BVA-CDG-DXB-GVA-JFK-LGW-ORD-TXL x2:ACE-AMM-AUH-BRU-CGK-CLT-CNX-CPH-DMK-DPS-EWR-FKB-FLL-HHN-IBZ-JOG-LET-LGA-LGK-LIS-LPA-MAN-MDE-MJV-NRT-NYO-OSL-OVD-PMI-PRG-RAK-RYG-SJO-STN-STR-VIE-ZRH x1:BAQ-BLB-BUD-CAI-CTG-DWC-GUA-HRG-IAH-KBV-KRK-LAX-LHR-MDL-MEX-MGA-MSY-ORY-PDX-PNH-REU-RGN-SCQ-SSH-TLV-TSF-URT 22/07/2017
autonauta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2015, 06:13 PM   #4455
Swiddle

Likes (Received): 295

So the odd shape of the core in this render is probably a result of it being adapted (transitioning) from the existing portion of the (sort of) coffin-shaped core from Foster's design to a shape that better suits the new design of the tower?

BIG

.Kanto, iamxeddiex, McSky, JuanPaulo, streetscapeer and 96540 others disliked this post

DubaiM, The Shard Baby liked this post
Swiddle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2015, 06:35 PM   #4456
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 791

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiddle View Post
So the odd shape of the core in this render is probably a result of it being adapted (transitioning) from the existing portion of the (sort of) coffin-shaped core from Foster's design to a shape that better suits the new design of the tower? BIG
Pretty much. Yup.
Old June 14th, 2015, 06:43 PM   #4457
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 719

Well, if they make an outdoor observation deck in 2 WTC, it will have the best view in the city because the tower, an ugly montrosity full of disrespect for the whole city, won't be seen. Just like Montparnasse in Paris.

I've waited for years to see Foster's design taking its place in the best skyline in the world, and now it's scrapped and replaced by BOXES. This truly shows an architectural "decline" of NYC.

And about Ingels, he defines the word starchitect. He is purposely ruining the city just because he wants to be known, which is very sad. He doesn't deserve to be called an architect.

Last edited by Titan Man; June 14th, 2015 at 08:00 PM.
Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2015, 06:52 PM   #4458
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanes11 View Post
And people are pretty ridiculous in this thread because they assume that their opinion represents the public's opinion.

90% of people don't give a crap what design is being built for a tower, and this new design is actually very popular among the people who count (like the design community, the Port Authority, the other WTC architects, and the developer).

Not to be blunt but SSC general opinion is pretty much irrelevant. People don't care about skyscrapers (speaking generally) and the ones that do care (and count for such a project) want the Ingels design, not the Foster one.
Not challenging your assertion, but keep in mind where you're posting: A message board to discuss architecture. If people need to vent then they should vent. Most of the time these evolve into formal discussion about architectural merits and design characteristics, which can contribute to our understanding of the art and how we can ever improve.

The opposite notion, silent consent or ambivalence, is a far worse option I say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanes11 View Post
The funny thing is that if this were the original design, and they now changed it to the Foster design, everyone on this thread would be complaining.
That's a big presumption, based on the idea that universally "change=bad." Does this mean that if this design is changed once more we'll hate the new design more deeply? Yet I'm sure throughout these boards you'll find examples of where redesigns have sometimes been welcomed.

Seems to me there have been earnest explanations about what they don't like about the new design. Even if you disagree with some of those architecture remains an art, thus there'll always be differing opinions as to what is and is not attractive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by weidncol View Post
Oh just stop wining. You people sound like babies.
Hi! Welcome to the internet. You must be new here.

- - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Dodd View Post
I'm sorry but the reasoning behind his "inspiration" for this design is rather dull and uninspiring. It's lazy. Cliche. Boring. And most notoriously unimaginative. I am not impressed. I'm done venting. Just build this "Leaning Tower of Blocks". Let it be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-in-Toronto View Post
1) The rationale for the redesign seems really strained - a kind of homage to the old low-rise buildings in the TriBeca area, by putting them on top of one another in a skewed way (???)
I generally agree with this to the extent that the execution is tepid. We've seen other towers/proposals here in NYC exhibit more dynamic or playful forms based on comparable themes, yet the best they can do here is tiny little jots to one side. If they had elements that accentuated these shifts, perhaps some external steel elements or changes in glass tones, then I'd likely embrace it further. As it is the images suggests the weight of the mullions expresses a heavier horizontal line, which don't support the buildings overall height.

It's not awful, but it is, IMO, lazy.

WillBuild liked this post
GunnerJacket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2015, 06:59 PM   #4459
DubaiM

Likes (Received): 4512

Quote:
Originally Posted by (: View Post
[...]and that's from its best angle.
A good tower should look good/awesome from every angle! I really like most of Bjarke Ingels design, but this is really fcked up! It looks like child has build a block tower.
It is way too massive and looks clumpy and it seems like this tower would collapse every moment! Fosters design was waaaay better and looked unique...

New 2 WTC design be like:

mrsmartman, Brucey7, HRP4Life liked this post
DubaiM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2015, 07:31 PM   #4460
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 719

I just don't understand people who are saying that after some time and after they understood the "meaning" of this new design, they started to like it. A truly unique and beautiful building doesn't need to be understood, it has to win you the first time you look at it. If it failes at that, it's not a good building. First design wins you immediately. New one doesn't and won't.

Tags
200 greenwich st., 2wtc, foster and partners, lower manhattan, new york, nyc, silverstein, supertall, world trade center