daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 15th, 2015, 01:11 AM   #4481
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 718

I have actually envisioned some better designs than this "world-renowned" architect, and I haven't become an architect so far. I think that says enough.

onewtclover liked this post
Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 15th, 2015, 01:47 AM   #4482
luci203

Likes (Received): 1202

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
The twin towers are really a different story. I think they became iconic for the fact that there were two of them and that they were massive in size and height.
Also have to consider the time they where built. If they never existed, and they where proposed today... most reactions would be "bland, boring, uninspired, generic, ugly, etc"

But even when they where built, they didn't thrilled many people, and except the size, where really nothing special. and the design brought criticism of its aesthetics from the American Institute of Architects and other groups.
Quote:
"the boxes that the Empire State Building and the Chrysler Building came in"
Quote:
"example of the purposeless giantism and technological exhibitionism that are now eviscerating the living tissue of every great city"
Old June 15th, 2015, 01:53 AM   #4483
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

I don't know how anyone can say it was uninspired or generic. Maybe if they were architecturally illiterate, but even then.

I know people who don't care about architecture say what they're building now won't truly replace the twins.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by ThatOneGuy; June 15th, 2015 at 01:58 AM.
ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2015, 01:55 AM   #4484
luci203

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
People who think the old WTC was uninspired or generic have never researched it.
Yes... they where architectural gems...

Almost a shame they did not demolished ESB and Chrysler to build 2 more of them.
Old June 15th, 2015, 02:03 AM   #4485
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Yes. They were. Not everything needs frou-frou decoration on it to look good.

And in what way does liking an icon of modernism imply you would want other icons destroyed? What a ridiculous thing to say.

JMGA196, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2015, 02:04 AM   #4486
generalscarr

Likes (Received): 425

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrown89 View Post
Where the heck did this come from? Who created this? That's bizarre. A 6WTC??
Don't worry, this is never gonna happen. Looks like the work of some random skyscraper fan

ebrown89 liked this post
generalscarr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2015, 04:08 AM   #4487
AnOldBlackMarble
read lightship chronicles

Likes (Received): 5755

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Dodd View Post
I'm sorry but the reasoning behind his "inspiration" for this design is rather dull and uninspiring. It's lazy. Cliche. Boring. And most notoriously unimaginative. I am not impressed. I'm done venting. Just build this "Leaning Tower of Blocks". Let it be.
Well architects are famous for taking a straight line, and then writing a 200 page thesis on why an architectural straight line is in fact incomprehensibly more complex than a straight line, and of course only the architecturally sophisticated could understand the true complexity.

AnOldBlackMarble no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2015, 04:39 AM   #4488
AlexDemens
BANNED

Likes (Received): 357

In my opinion, new desing is alternative, but primitive No boxes, nooo Maybe Manhattan needs something alternative and elegant, so Ingels option should be replace in some unordinary city. I saw other projects of Ingels, they are nice, but this... They never design supertall, perhaps that is a reason. So let them make redesing once more, question is not about good or not good this new option or Foster's, but why so big changes?
AlexDemens no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2015, 04:42 AM   #4489
Sb28

Likes (Received): 57

The new design reminds me of this building in Colombia. Imo, although it's not an ugly building, it's not good for such a place as the WTC site. It destroys the harmony of the complex. Rogers' design complemented perfectly the sharp angles of 1WTC being some sort of transition between the angled 1WTC and the cubical forms of 3 and 4WTC. Hope the design improves for the final building.
Sb28 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2015, 04:43 AM   #4490
enrigue8
BANNED

Likes (Received): 709

The building in Colombia is by far more beautiful.
There is an harmony with city,contrary to 2wtc.
Old June 15th, 2015, 04:55 AM   #4491
DUBAI10000

Likes (Received): 436

^ Yes the Colombian building is much nicer the 2 WTC. 2 wtc has no harmony with the skyline and the building is plain out ugly. Like some one above said, I am not an architect an I have designed and envisioned towers far better than this one.
DUBAI10000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2015, 05:15 AM   #4492
enrigue8
BANNED

Likes (Received): 709

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUBAI10000 View Post
^ Yes the Colombian building is much nicer the 2 WTC. 2 wtc has no harmony with the skyline and the building is plain out ugly. Like some one above said, I am not an architect an I have designed and envisioned towers far better than this one.
Me too i m not an architect,But i can make 10000 time better.
I want one day to become a real estate developer and i will never make a horror like that.I will construct very beautiful thing like those in Dubai or asia.

I have a question. I wonder where do these architech got their diploma,because they don t know how to design a building.Even a 5 years old children would do a better job.

enrigue8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2015, 05:26 AM   #4493
Skyscrapers144
RISING HIGH

Likes (Received): 1023

The new design is modern and somewhat unique. It's different. But it just doesn't convince me. I don't think it fits the skyline of the site itself. I was very disappointed when I found out about this new design. The old one with the four diamonds on the top was perfect and it was such a beautiful yet modern skyscraper.

You should follow me on...
Twitter
Instagram
Tumblr
Skyscrapers144 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2015, 05:33 AM   #4494
StrongIsland

Likes (Received): 282

This whole thing is a mess. If it gets built as is then the site is ruined from all angles except maybe the memorial. I would honestly rather a 1,340' ft glass box over this, at least it would basically be a twin 1WTC. This is the successor to the SOUTH TOWER! Like what are they doing?! As much as 1WTC was modified and not for the better it's still beautiful and it has a striking resemblance to the North Tower from all the important angles. This is just a monstrosity.

enrigue8 liked this post
StrongIsland no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2015, 06:36 AM   #4495
WillBuild

Likes (Received): 660

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
I don't know how anyone can say it was uninspired or generic. Maybe if they were architecturally illiterate, but even then.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, of course. The Times's architecture critic was not impressed at the time.

Big but Not So Bold; Trade Center Towers Are Tallest, But Architecture Is Smaller Scale

bodegavendetta liked this post

Last edited by WillBuild; June 15th, 2015 at 04:09 PM.
WillBuild no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2015, 06:51 AM   #4496
StrongIsland

Likes (Received): 282

Nothing will justify what's planned on being built here. You go from having the twin towers, the Kings of New York and 2 of the most iconic towers in history to this? It's another f*ck you to us New Yorkers. I'm 100% being that person right now chanting the twins should have came back because this is pathetic. So much time and money absorbed into this master plan that never and will never come to its full realization. 2 WTC needs a better design ASAP.

enrigue8, ThatOneGuy liked this post

Last edited by StrongIsland; June 15th, 2015 at 06:56 AM.
StrongIsland no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2015, 08:43 AM   #4497
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Likes (Received): 2651

I don't blame BIG so much because they are just inexperienced at skyscrapers. Their forte is smaller buildings where their livable design principles make more sense. Bjarke was simply the wrong person for the job. I'm rather more inclined to blame whoever hired him, and toward whom these petitions should be directed.

Zaz965 liked this post
bodegavendetta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2015, 02:18 PM   #4498
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 718

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodegavendetta View Post
I don't blame BIG so much because they are just inexperienced at skyscrapers. Their forte is smaller buildings where their livable design principles make more sense. Bjarke was simply the wrong person for the job. I'm rather more inclined to blame whoever hired him, and toward whom these petitions should be directed.
But his blame is that he accepted the job. I've never designed a skyscraper so I'm just not suitable for designing 2WTC. He hasn't designed a skyscraper so he's not suitable for designing 2WTC. It's that simple. An old phrase says: "If you don't have anything smart to say, then stay quiet." It should be applied in architecture, so we wouldn't have buildings like this located in places like WTC.
Old June 15th, 2015, 02:20 PM   #4499
Pohtija
Dragonlike

Likes (Received): 846

Yeah, because this design is all about interior practicality and usability with the total expense of exterior design and appearance. Sadly so...
Pohtija no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2015, 02:34 PM   #4500
luci203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan Man View Post
An old phrase says: "If you don't have anything smart to say, then stay quiet." It should be applied in architecture.
Ye, but when you get millions to "say" something, it does not mater.

Another old phrase says: "you don't get many chances in life"

Tags
200 greenwich st., 2wtc, foster and partners, lower manhattan, new york, nyc, silverstein, supertall, world trade center