daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 15th, 2015, 03:28 PM   #4501
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 719

I wouldn't want a chance like that in which my project is criticised and hated. Architect must design buildings that have both good interior and exterior. He didn't manage to do that, his building is already hated and it was just announced few days ago. If he has any dignity and pride, he will step out of the project.

Doubleu1117 liked this post
Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 15th, 2015, 04:10 PM   #4502
luci203

Likes (Received): 1202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan Man View Post

I wouldn't want a chance like that in which my project is criticised and hated. Architect must design buildings that have both good interior and exterior. He didn't manage to do that, his building is already hated and it was just announced few days ago.
Criticized and hated by who? nobodies like us... the decision will be up to Fox News board.

Quote:
If he has any dignity and pride, he will step out of the project.
You really live in your own little world do u.
Old June 15th, 2015, 04:18 PM   #4503
DUBAI10000

Likes (Received): 436

^ My vision is close to yours, enrique I want to be a high scale property developer and architect for skyscrapers around the world.
DUBAI10000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2015, 05:02 PM   #4504
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Quote:
Originally Posted by luci203 View Post
Criticized and hated by who? nobodies like us... the decision will be up to Fox News board.

I live in a world where architects should design buildings that people like and enjoy living and working in them. It seems to me that you live in a world where people should live in buildings they don't really like, but they can't say anything because architect's word must be the last. Sad, isn't it? That's why we have commieblocks here in Europe.
Old June 15th, 2015, 05:04 PM   #4505
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4202

What a downgrade from the original towers.

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2015, 07:05 PM   #4506
megalithe
BANNED

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUBAI10000 View Post
^ My vision is close to yours, enrique I want to be a high scale property developer and architect for skyscrapers around the world.
well, first off, you need a rich family with connections. do you have that?
megalithe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2015, 08:07 PM   #4507
luci203

Likes (Received): 1202

Quote:
I live in a world where architects should design buildings that people like and enjoy living and working in them.
You put the magic word "should"

I live in reality, where big corporations do whatever they please... as you can see from this project.
Old June 15th, 2015, 08:25 PM   #4508
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

I've moved on and will embrace the hope, however tenuous in its reality, that Ingles will make some adjustments and it won't look so bad as feared. With the new info on the Shvo tower looking like we're getting a really good one and 40 Trinity Place and Howard Hughes' 80 South Street all like they will be great supertall possibilities I'm going to give Bjark a chance to get it, if not perfect, at least pretty good.
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2015, 08:27 PM   #4509
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Quote:
You put the magic word "should"

I live in reality, where big corporations do whatever they please... as you can see from this project.
Well, it surely wouldn't be the first time people stopped a project they thougt it was bad for their city. But then again, I live in Europe and I don't know what the American "freedom" thinks about stopping corporations in their plans...
Old June 15th, 2015, 08:53 PM   #4510
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
this is the only angle I can say I don't think is all that bad.

I don't think i'll ever get around to appreciating this, it looks like half of a shorter 1 WTC with jagged edges instead of sleek ones :

edit: i've also just noticed Gehry's Beekman tower i front of 3 WTC. They must've been short on time editing that video.
they have got to be kidding

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2015, 09:00 PM   #4511
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthehudson View Post
I like this perspective...

In another place I would say that this is a bit raw but still OK design. Needs lots of work and etc. Nothing great.

But in this place - this is horrible. Simply horrible. No anything else to say.

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2015, 09:04 PM   #4512
JezNY

Likes (Received): 5

The wtc has sadly gone from having that wow factor with the Twin Towers to this which just looks so "meh". It looks so generic & underwhelming! The Twins worked because of their cool design, & the fact that they complimented each other perfectly, one wouldn't have worked without the other & Yamasaki knew that he knew what he was doing! And also the Twins worked well because they weren't crowded by a bunch of other sub-tall buildings at the site, they stood alone, & Yamasaki knew that this would make them appear even more distinct & noticeable.

This new design is not only ugly but there are just too many buildings of similar height clustered together, which simply does not show them off properly. Either build much higher, or stop adding so many other generic looking towers. It just looks too cluttered & busy.

AnOldBlackMarble liked this post
JezNY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2015, 09:08 PM   #4513
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

No.... I think the negative comments are still too subjective. Actually, the more I think about it, Foster's design was starting already to look dated, as much as I wanted to believe otherwise. Actually, we see that scene one day and I would be happy because it's the best perspective yet of the four towers together and is really growing on me.

They are not meh or a disgrace, and they are not similarly heighted. 4 stands just under 1,000 ft... 3 stands about 1,150.... 2 would be 1,340 and 1 is 1,368 plus the spire making it 1,776ft. Ten years from now people will be much kinder in their assessment of the complex and even if there will always be some division over what should have gone there.. what will be won't be so bad at all.

weidncol liked this post

Last edited by citybooster; June 15th, 2015 at 09:13 PM.
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2015, 09:26 PM   #4514
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Foster's design doesn't look dated to me, au contraire, it looks like some new and fresh building and possibly his best work so far.

About the height of the buildings, I don't think of it as a problem. It would be a problem if they wanted to build new Twin Towers, but they didn't. I just feel that 1WTC should've been slightly taller to show that NYC is still building world's tallest buildings, but it still looks good...
Old June 15th, 2015, 09:33 PM   #4515
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

Just occurred to me - Seen from some angles it looks like a building falling over. Not exactly the image I'd desire for this site.
Old June 15th, 2015, 10:24 PM   #4516
LouDagreat
High in the sky

Likes (Received): 150

Quote:

Criticized and hated by residents of New York City both now and likely into the future. NYC across multiple platforms of social media have already expressed how the original WTC design is better.

Hopefully this thing gets shot down by the city.

Titan Man liked this post
LouDagreat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2015, 10:32 PM   #4517
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouDagreat View Post
Criticized and hated by residents of New York City both now and likely into the future. NYC across multiple platforms of social media have already expressed how the original WTC design is better.

Hopefully this thing gets shot down by the city.
Unfortunately, money is stronger than people. One of the best contemporary skyscraper designs is being replaced by BOXES and we can't do anything about it. Makes you feel both pissed and sad.
Old June 15th, 2015, 10:37 PM   #4518
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

100x better
Old June 15th, 2015, 10:50 PM   #4519
chepm

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
Just occurred to me - Seen from some angles it looks like a building falling over. Not exactly the image I'd desire for this site.
I was there on 9/11 and saw the South Tower tipping over standing on Beekman, close to City Hall. I cannot fathom how ANY architect, working for the site, would want to design something that would bring memories of that terrible day back?!
Old June 15th, 2015, 11:08 PM   #4520
Pohtija
Dragonlike

Likes (Received): 848

I share your feelings of disbelief chepm... As does many others.
Pohtija no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
200 greenwich st., 2wtc, foster and partners, lower manhattan, new york, nyc, silverstein, supertall, world trade center