daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 15th, 2015, 11:27 PM   #4521
JezNY

Likes (Received): 5

Yea it looks like it's about to fall over from some angles. Pretty disconcerting given what happened there. It would seem a rational person would want to evoke a sense of strength & sturdiness there. The new design looks dangerously flimsy & also leaning. Hopefully the finished product will be very different from the renders.
JezNY no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 16th, 2015, 12:20 AM   #4522
RegentHouse
City Development Shitlord

Likes (Received): 769

If Vanity Fair likes this building so much, they should put it on the front cover of their next magazine. It wouldn't be the first time they had a disturbing cover, consecutively. Of course VF loves this design so much because its parent company's move to 1WTC was organized by the bastard who decided the spire cladding was excess.

Also, Ingels looks like a total douche peering over a model of his special child sad excuse of a building, with that constant creepy look on his face and wearing a suit with no tie.

Quite frankly, everything about this tower is the antithesis of what you people perceive Fox [News] as.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheSTIG View Post

It only looks decent in two images. Screw how it looks from Tribeca.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateman View Post
Even though the design is a disappointment, I just can't get as upset about the Freedom Fry as other people. The WTC just isn't as big a deal anymore compared to what's going on on 57th street or Hudson Yards.
Right... rebuilding from the greatest concentrated act of destruction since World War II "isn't as big a deal" compared to some toothpick towers? I thought somebody actually from NYC wouldn't be so bonerific about the height of towers rather than the architecture and overall form.

I guess it goes without saying, if not already said, but... "BIG" mistake NYC!

StrongIsland, ebrown89 liked this post

Last edited by RegentHouse; June 16th, 2015 at 12:28 AM.
RegentHouse está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 12:26 AM   #4523
Mojeda101
IG: UrbanLosAngeles

Likes (Received): 1283

I really wouldn't mind it if it didn't lean..Just straighten it out. Is that too hard?
Old June 16th, 2015, 12:28 AM   #4524
(:

Likes (Received): 229

The tribeca view is quite cringe worthy, I hope that someone realizes what a monstrosity they are creating. Why not just hire back foster, the WTC doesn't deserve an amateur architect who hasn't had any projects nearly this scale.

onewtclover liked this post
(: no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 12:29 AM   #4525
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3588

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
this is the only angle I can say I don't think is all that bad.
This is undoubtedly the best angle... too bad it's wildly inaccurate. As before 2 WTC will stand directly in front of 1 WTC when viewed from the Brookyln Bridge (just look at the Eastern flat face of 1 WTC and you can easily picture where the 2 WTC site sits).

They've completely skewed it here in order to make it look something like the old view of the Twins, but it will 100% not look like that.

ryaboisse, onewtclover liked this post

Last edited by MarshallKnight; June 16th, 2015 at 05:19 AM.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 12:43 AM   #4526
Dave-in-Toronto

Likes (Received): 682

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Dodd View Post
I would take a safe bet that trees would easily be able to grow at such heights and withstand the wind. They have been doing so for billions of years along mountainsides, even growing from the cracks of cliffs thousands of feet in height.
(Trees evolved about 300 million years ago). Point taken, although the side of a skyscraper in downtown Manhattan is not the natural environment of a mountainside. Plus, certain trees have adapted to growing in such difficult environments as windy hillsides. Let's hope that if they go through with this design they will be careful to choose those trees.

... or they could just go back to the old design.
Old June 16th, 2015, 02:03 AM   #4527
Shenkey

Likes (Received): 2028

Haha, what a troll.

Changing the best building next to Steinway into that ugly piece of shit.
Shenkey está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 03:13 AM   #4528
ophizer

Likes (Received): 132

so kids,
Back in the day following the tragic events of 9/11, fairly soon afterwards, a competition to decide the new design of the WTC got underway. At which point, we were presented with the above choices. Needless to say the public was outraged. Given the recent events of 9/11 people wanted more. They were demanding a statement of defiance, an inspiration, a monument....by god, what we where seeing was cowardly and all too mercantile. So what we eventually ended up getting was the WTC design competition. That overhyped, over the top, word wide marketing campaign that got us Leibeskind. But this is not about that....During the first 'competition' when we were presented with the above options, I remember watching an interview of some industry hotshot who in a very commonplace, normal tone was saying something like: this is a question of public relations, not architecture,

True story...

you see, kids; he said, it was a big mistake to show those building massings first and not having shiny, beautiful renders, (that start out invariably as concepts and get value engineered into oblivion), a startchitect attached to a building, some poetic Liebeskind-y mumbo jumbo, etc ....

that stuck with me, unfortunately, having followed this redevelopment from day 1 (when 9/11 happened), having lived through the evolution of the design and all the talk in between, I now know what he was talking about, and more unfortunate still, I think I finally understand how they got their "design" back

The Shard Baby liked this post

Last edited by ophizer; June 16th, 2015 at 03:18 AM.
ophizer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 04:37 AM   #4529
Torch

Likes (Received): 1014

You are right. After all the Competitions, we've got is some kind of mixture of Memorial Plaza, Memorial Garden and Memorial Square

- Memorial Plaza seems to have the street layout and plot arrangement of todays side. In place of one tower is the WTC Transportation Hub. It even look like some versions of One

- Memorial Square has the number and placement of buildings, like we have today. Even the architecture of the tallest tower resembles One WTC. I can even see 4 WTC in there.

- In Memorial Garden you can see todays memorial site
Torch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 05:01 AM   #4530
Swiddle

Likes (Received): 295

I like this. It makes the tower symmetrical by eliminating the cantilevers that so many folks hate. I wonder how it would look if it was made symmetrical instead by adding cantilevers to the south side (so you have them both north and south)? Probably not great I'm guessing, since it would make the building appear like an upside-down tower when viewed from the ~west (and probably east, though the setbacks would distract from that somewhat).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
100x better

.Kanto, iamxeddiex, McSky, JuanPaulo, streetscapeer and 96540 others disliked this post

baisaroff, HRP4Life liked this post
Swiddle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 05:33 AM   #4531
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Sadly it can't look like that because Faux Snooze needs giant floor spaces which no doubt they'll abandon after like 20 years, and leave us to deal with this hulking monstrosity for the next eternity, at the most prominent location in the city.
ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 05:58 AM   #4532
ZARDOZ

Likes (Received): 1

Outrageously bad. This is not good architecture.
ZARDOZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 06:01 AM   #4533
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Likes (Received): 2651

It looks best from the memorial, ok from Tribeca, and quite awkward from the harbor, imo, which might be the most important view.

Zaz965 liked this post
bodegavendetta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 06:10 AM   #4534
Godzilla Ranger NYC
LOL

Likes (Received): 27

Seriously, why didn't they just make the bottom of the Foster design bigger if that's what Fox News wants.
They're gonna only be occupying the bottom half anyway, since most tenants moving into these towers are too afraid to be near the top.
Godzilla Ranger NYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 06:17 AM   #4535
StrongIsland

Likes (Received): 282

Lol this whole thing is a mess. They don't know what they are doing anymore. They value engineered the hell out of the towers, recreated these streets that I've always thought was a dumb idea from the start, and we can't even use them lol. This tower will be a disaster no matter what unless it has a major change which probably won't happen. It doesn't deserve to be called 2 WTC, as far as I'm concerned now the only tower to hold that name is the South Tower.
StrongIsland no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 06:50 AM   #4536
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Yeah, from now on it's the Freedom Fry
ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 08:35 PM   #4537
Chapelo

Likes (Received): 686

I like it. Wasn't a huge fan of it at first, but it's grown on me.

Maybe we'll get lucky, and get Windows on the World back atop 2WTC. Or a roof-top observation deck.

ryaboisse, HRP4Life liked this post
Chapelo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 09:01 PM   #4538
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22541

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapelo View Post
Or a roof-top observation deck.
not gonna happen. Fox and NewsCorp need the roof for their massive TV satellites and other devices. It's even in the renderings.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 10:24 PM   #4539
Godzilla Ranger NYC
LOL

Likes (Received): 27

Dammit Fox News, stay in Midtown!!!
Godzilla Ranger NYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 11:53 PM   #4540
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

I realize this is a pretty clean look and it's not awful, yet I see this and all I can think of is "bland." A case where the whole is now less than the sum of its parts. Basically an anti-Dubai, but not entirely in a good way. The sheer volume of glass (glass contractor on the design team, obviously!) and the relative absence of detailing apart from subdued form changes makes it seem like a mere office park on steroids.

I like 1WTC and really enjoy 3, especially if they keep the spires. Seriously though, if not for the height and the significance of the location I wouldn't give this collection of buildings any special thought. Some would say that about the original WTC building but they at least were icons of their age and pinnacles of a particular style. These... are just tall glass buildings.

Yay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
100x better

Tags
200 greenwich st., 2wtc, foster and partners, lower manhattan, new york, nyc, silverstein, supertall, world trade center