daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 17th, 2015, 12:03 AM   #4541
JMGA196

Likes (Received): 5147

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
100x better
Not bad at all. Looks pretty good IMO. It's still and will always be a disappointment, but at least this would look good.

Mimar Sinan - Sebastian Treese - Sejima - Nishizawa - Pawson - Horia Creangă - McKim, Mead & White - Gord Scott - Peter Pennoyer - Charles Hilton - Annabelle Selldorf - Roman and Williams - Morris Adjmi - Diller Scofidio + Renfro

★★★ MAKE ARCHITECTURE GREAT AGAIN! ★★★
JMGA196 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 17th, 2015, 01:07 AM   #4542
Mplsuptown

Likes (Received): 713

With the change of WTC 2 IMHO the only significant structure will be the transportation hub. The rest are okay or even fine but nothing special.

*And Major D., just leave the angry man's post up. - spectre000
Mplsuptown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2015, 01:15 AM   #4543
Skylimitone
Tectonic

Likes (Received): 3321

When you remove the cantilevers like above you get 'acceptable' instead of 'hell no'.
Old June 17th, 2015, 02:49 AM   #4544
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 719

I was looking forward to see Foster's 2 WTC. I think it would be one of the best skyscrapers in New York. Without it, the whole site is just a complex of plain, random, glass buildings which could've been constructed anywhere in the world. New 2 WTC is not ugly, but it's not even close to the previous design which is superior in any way. I feel sorry for NYC because I kinda feel this shows its decline. A place like WTC deserves to have the best buildings in the world, and not this. Really, really disrespectfull.
Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2015, 03:01 AM   #4545
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

I actually think this works better contextually that Foster's design, which I hope will be built elsewhere.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2015, 04:20 AM   #4546
jch009

Likes (Received): 0

It looks like a building that would be proposed in the mid-West or Philadelphia, not as a skyline defining building in this project in downtown Manhattan.

I couldn't believe it when I saw this, as I was always excited about the original 2 WTC. None of this makes any sense at all.

I find 4 WTC to be bland already; this project should be seeing Shanghai Tower level of architecture, not bland boxes that could settle into the Houston skyline.
jch009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2015, 05:46 AM   #4547
JezNY

Likes (Received): 5

Thats the problem with the whole site. It's so dull & generic looking there is no visual wow factor to hold the gaze. It's too cluttered & busy looking the glass towers aren't even that tall & they look way too generic for New York.

sp_brasil liked this post
JezNY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2015, 07:09 AM   #4548
baronson

Likes (Received): 714

Quote:
Originally Posted by jch009 View Post
It looks like a building that would be proposed in the mid-West or Philadelphia, not as a skyline defining building in this project in downtown Manhattan.

I couldn't believe it when I saw this, as I was always excited about the original 2 WTC. None of this makes any sense at all.

I find 4 WTC to be bland already; this project should be seeing Shanghai Tower level of architecture, not bland boxes that could settle into the Houston skyline.
I agree with your sentiment. Although 4WTC was intentionally designed to be "bland." I like the term reserved/deferential. I like it for what it's supposed to be be and at least it lived up to its initial design.
baronson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2015, 08:26 AM   #4549
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Honestly 4WTC is now the most impressive tower there, imo, simply for how great the glass is.

iRobz liked this post
ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2015, 10:30 AM   #4550
noms78

Likes (Received): 244

Redesign

The Ingels redesign does not complement 1wtc well. I believe the reason 2wtc looked good was that the diamonds in the roof complemented the strong triangular shapes of 1wtc. The main facade was segmented into two vertical rectangles - a design which both matched the other towers while standing out in a good way.

Perhaps what is needed is a building that has some triangular AND square shapes, not just square shapes as that makes 3 out of 4 towers boxes.

Thoughts?

onewtclover, ebrown89 liked this post
noms78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2015, 11:05 AM   #4551
Indica
Top of the World

Likes (Received): 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
World Trade Center starchitect Bjarke Ingels would have built the twin towers back the way they werehttp://www.nydailynews.com/life-styl...icle-1.2254683

I know this is an old post I am commenting on, but I could not help it. The look on this architect's face says it all as he is staring at the pile o' bricks
which will now be WTC 2. Its a flat out look of sheer disgust.

AlexDemens, Prince Valium liked this post
Indica no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2015, 03:03 PM   #4552
generalscarr

Likes (Received): 425

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
100x better
No
generalscarr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2015, 03:33 PM   #4553
luci203

Likes (Received): 1202

Quote:
Originally Posted by noms78 View Post
The Ingels redesign does not complement 1wtc well. I believe the reason 2wtc looked good was that the diamonds in the roof complemented the strong triangular shapes of 1wtc.
I like the old design a lot, but never felt it really fit the WTC site. I think would look more amazing in Hudson Yards than here.
(think some developers should use the scraped design for new proposals in Hudson Yards )

If we take the redesigned building "out of context" is not that terrible, is the location again.

I think it could look gobsmacking for example in Times Square, since the most important view (from street level) is rather decent.

chestersim, AnOldBlackMarble liked this post
luci203 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2015, 03:45 PM   #4554
Prince Valium

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indica View Post
I know this is an old post I am commenting on, but I could not help it. The look on this architect's face says it all as he is staring at the pile o' bricks
which will now be WTC 2. Its a flat out look of sheer disgust.
loool, its like the result of a partynight at home with whiskey'n'gin just before the deadline, when the new proposal should be submitted and in the morning after when, he is analyzing, what he designed and thinks: "..the f***, what did I drink last night?!"
Prince Valium no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2015, 04:08 PM   #4555
Pohtija
Dragonlike

Likes (Received): 850

Quote:
Originally Posted by luci203 View Post
...I think it could look gobsmacking for example in Times Square, since the most important view (from street level) is rather decent.
I don't know about that... All I know is I used to be totally exited about New York's upspringing new developments and rising supertalls and all, but now I feel somethig like only half that excited and the other half sad & disappointed...

WTC complex is (was...) after all the most significant development site in New York, it has so much sentimental value.

Hopefully in time I (we) can forget and rejoice all the spectacular developments of midtown and everywhere else in New York.

Last edited by Pohtija; June 17th, 2015 at 06:03 PM.
Pohtija no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2015, 04:26 PM   #4556
Riley1066

Likes (Received): 520

Fox News has no right to be in New York City period and so no one should be bending over backwards to accomodate their insane 1%er redneck racist needs.

lsg97 liked this post
Riley1066 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2015, 04:32 PM   #4557
Spocket

Likes (Received): 91

Well, that's a bit of a disappointment. I mean, it's not really a bad building. Actually, in just about any other situation we would say it looked above average. Unfortunately it's a real step down from what was originally proposed but that's how the market works.

Munwon liked this post
Spocket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2015, 04:46 PM   #4558
Mcully56964

Likes (Received): 34

I wonder if the tower would look better if the setbacks where replaced with a flat tapering wall and the cantilevers where replaced with flat wall gently tapering outward as the tower rises for a more smoother look rather than being all blocky
Mcully56964 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2015, 04:50 PM   #4559
NatFan9

Likes (Received): 536

Love how everyone's complaining about how bland the complex is when the buildings they replaced were as bland as could possibly be.

Gutovsky, onewtclover liked this post
NatFan9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2015, 04:53 PM   #4560
Maximalist
Only More is More

Likes (Received): 492

Foster's design wasn't the most imaginative of his career, but it was still the best of of the WTC towers. Normally I really like BIG's work because it's imaginative and futuristic. BUT this is hugely disappointing. It might have worked if the cubes were rotated so that each was at a different angle to the one below/above. But that one blank wall where all the cubes align at back (front?) is just really boring and corporate looking. Looks like Murdoch is doing to architecture what he did to the newspaper -- turning it into trash. One lives in hope that there will be a much better second draft that responds to the criticism.

Tags
200 greenwich st., 2wtc, foster and partners, lower manhattan, new york, nyc, silverstein, supertall, world trade center