daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 17th, 2015, 05:30 PM   #4561
DubaiM

Likes (Received): 4512

Lets be honest: Fosters previous 2WTC was truly unique and futuristic. After it was redesigned, the whole WTC complex (1WTC, 2WTC, 3WTC, 4WTC) just looks like an average glass tower complex.
1 WTC looks good, but I would not call it a tower of pure uniqueness like some towers, that will be build in China. 2WTC is nothing else, than some glass boxes, which lie crooked on top of each other.
3WTC looks average too. Nothing special. 4WTC is a boring glass box.
=> An average assembly of glass boxes. 2WTC was unique and gave the other towers something of its uniqueness. Now the glass box assembly is completed after the redesign of 2WTC.
(Just sharing my critical view on the complex )

Pohtija, Crowns n' Spires liked this post

Last edited by DubaiM; June 17th, 2015 at 05:48 PM.
DubaiM no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 17th, 2015, 05:36 PM   #4562
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatFan9 View Post
Love how everyone's complaining about how bland the complex is when the buildings they replaced were as bland as could possibly be.
They were distinctive. There was an opportunity to develop something grand at the site, but what we ended up with is all watered down schlock.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2015, 05:51 PM   #4563
Mercenary

Likes (Received): 201

Has BIG ever designed a skyscraper?
Mercenary no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2015, 06:16 PM   #4564
Fluxit
Fluxit Builders

Likes (Received): 822

Historic beautiful, spectacular buildings are coming up all over the world.

Sydney:

Shanghai:

London:

Luckily, New York also have many great landmarks. And 2 WTC should certainly have been of them - as in the original Foster design.

But then we get this disgrace, on one of the premier locations in the world:

The people of the world whould also have a say in this. We want something amazing.
Not just another bland, anonymous somewhat ugly corporate building.
NYC can do better than that !

There should be some kind of referendum on this !

JohnFlint1985 liked this post
Fluxit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2015, 06:23 PM   #4565
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

Quote:
Love how everyone's complaining about how bland the complex is when the buildings they replaced were as bland as could possibly be.
While not completely beside the point, the fact that what was there was modest shouldn't mean we can't aspire for better given this opportunity to redevelop. To wit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pohtija View Post
WTC complex is (was...) after all the most significant development site in New York, it has so much sentimental value.
The location was already prime given its proximity to the water and the classic views from the south, framed alongside Lady Liberty. With the events of 9/11 there is now emotional and historical significance attached, meaning these projects had a distinct expectation attached. And let's be honest, they'll be marketed at least in part based on the significance of their location. So unlike most other projects around the globe there was and is a level of expectation that what is built should strive to contribute to the site and the viewed skyline.

Whether or not these meet the expectations is up to the viewer, but for my money it's a resounding, and sad, no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luci203 View Post
If we take the redesigned building "out of context" is not that terrible, is the location again.

I think it could look gobsmacking for example in Times Square, since the most important view (from street level) is rather decent.

Yet here's the irony, for me: That very view, the view for which the whole design appears premised, is decidedly uninspiring. (Made more ironic by the "stirring emotion" comment ON the building!)

At this angle the building looks aloof at street level, very uninviting to the pedestrian. It's merely the box behind which the attractive Calatrava artwork is hiding! And looking up there really isn't anything to entice me to search for the teletype displays. They're too high, too disparate from each other and I've nothing instructing me "Hey! Something cool is up here!"

And again, the weight of the mullions, as depicted, gives the building a very heavy, horizontal emphasis that works against its vertical nature. Because the blocks are disjointed I'm missing the lines and elongated windows that would make me want to turn the corner and see how high this building goes! Instead I see a conventional glass box that somewhat thought looked cool broken into little boxes and each made slightly askew.

At least with Foster's design you recognized each building was its own unique piece with distinctive character that simply used glass as the unifying element. Now it looks like they took four similar, basic buildings and simply did the minimum to make them different from one another. Which, considering how this all started and was celebrated, is a disappointment.

Put another way - Take your hands and block out the other buildings in the picture above, looking merely at this structure. Is it iconic to you? Does it make you Oooh and Aaah? Does it make you say I want this for my city? I think the site deserves something that yields a "Yes!" answer to those questions.

Last edited by GunnerJacket; June 17th, 2015 at 06:28 PM.
GunnerJacket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2015, 06:32 PM   #4566
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluxit View Post
This photo definitely highlight something I've been thinking for a long time, the transportation hub really screwed up the skyline of lower Manhattan! There is a big gaping hole between WTC2 and WTC3 which should've been filled with another skyscraper to make the complex complete. Now it just looks like a space they left for a future building that never got built.
Old June 17th, 2015, 06:34 PM   #4567
Pohtija
Dragonlike

Likes (Received): 846

Quote:
Bland ?(!) ...Is that really how, what they used to be, make you feel...???

These towers I would want to go see !

Last edited by Pohtija; June 17th, 2015 at 06:45 PM.
Pohtija no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2015, 06:38 PM   #4568
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
This photo definitely highlight something I've been thinking for a long time, the transportation hub really screwed up the skyline of lower Manhattan! There is a big gaping hole between WTC2 and WTC3 which should've been filled with another skyscraper to make the complex complete. Now it just looks like a space they left for a future building that never got built.
I think that's just a matter of perspective. Not only will other views not seem as bad, but keep in mind the scale of what constitutes a "big gaping hole" in the skyline in NYC is unique compared to the norm. Surely we're not expecting supertalls at every block now, are we?
Old June 17th, 2015, 06:53 PM   #4569
Maximalist
Only More is More

Likes (Received): 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiM View Post
Lets be honest: Fosters previous 2WTC was truly unique and futuristic. After it was redesigned, the whole WTC complex (1WTC, 2WTC, 3WTC, 4WTC) just looks like an average glass tower complex.
1 WTC looks good, but I would not call it a tower of pure uniqueness like some towers, that will be build in China. 2WTC is nothing else, than some glass boxes, which lie crooked on top of each other.
3WTC looks average too. Nothing special. 4WTC is a boring glass box.
=> An average assembly of glass boxes. 2WTC was unique and gave the other towers something of its uniqueness. Now the glass box assembly is completed after the redesign of 2WTC.
(Just sharing my critical view on the complex )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercenary View Post
Has BIG ever designed a skyscraper?
Yes, quite an imaginative and elegant one for Vancouver.
Old June 17th, 2015, 06:58 PM   #4570
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley1066 View Post
Fox News has no right to be in New York City period and so no one should be bending over backwards to accomodate their insane 1%er redneck racist needs.
Then let this be a 1,340 ft long stick up your a**.

4npower liked this post
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2015, 08:00 PM   #4571
DubaiM

Likes (Received): 4512

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximalist View Post
Yes, quite an imaginative and elegant one for Vancouver.
...and for Calgary a residential tower, that reminds me of the one in Vancouver. And the Tianjin Rose Rock Hotel (which I think is beautiful) is designed by BIG too. And a supertall in kuala Lumpur as well

Rose Rock:
Old June 17th, 2015, 08:10 PM   #4572
seth415

Likes (Received): 154

They changed the building's design just because Fox wanted space there!? The previous design was bound to be a new icon for the city. Something WTC1 hasn't really accomplished yet, at least not the way the twin towers did at their time.

Last edited by seth415; June 17th, 2015 at 08:20 PM.
seth415 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2015, 08:10 PM   #4573
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Quote:
That's not true. They were very subtly detailed in a way that made their simplicity work. This has no detail.

CCs77 liked this post
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2015, 08:41 PM   #4574
StrongIsland

Likes (Received): 282

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pohtija View Post
Bland ?(!) ...Is that really how, what they used to be, make you feel...???

These towers I would want to go see !
God I don't feel bad quoting this. I miss seeing these freaking towers. Those towers were a huge part of our identity. We have the perfect opportunity now to at least build a twin 1WTC. They need to do it.

dexter2, Pohtija, ivn98 liked this post
StrongIsland no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2015, 09:31 PM   #4575
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

when i see pics of the old twin towers i always get tears in my eyes. These towers will be my favourite towers of all time forever!
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2015, 01:32 AM   #4576
Up and away

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGA196 View Post
Not bad at all. Looks pretty good IMO. It's still and will always be a disappointment, but at least this would look good.
Could anyone do an edit of this tower... but drop the corner facing you a few feet and make a diamond at the top ? It look really good i think !!
Up and away no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2015, 01:39 AM   #4577
Up and away

I cant add the photo of the 100x better because i need 10 posts to be aloud too. Any help folks with putting the 100x better photo on this page or next cheers.
Up and away no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2015, 03:24 AM   #4578
new york guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
100x better
So much sleeker looking.
new york guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2015, 03:37 AM   #4579
The seventh shape
Master of his domain

Likes (Received): 817

When will they start building it?
The seventh shape no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2015, 03:38 AM   #4580
(:

Likes (Received): 229

But still not good and uninspired.

Tags
200 greenwich st., 2wtc, foster and partners, lower manhattan, new york, nyc, silverstein, supertall, world trade center