daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 18th, 2015, 04:08 AM   #4581
LastConformist

Likes (Received): 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pohtija View Post
Bland ?(!) ...Is that really how, what they used to be, make you feel...???

[Photos]

These towers I would want to go see !
Literally no one felt that way when they were still standing. Nostalgia clouds everyone's memory.
LastConformist no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 18th, 2015, 04:09 AM   #4582
godgame
BANNED

Likes (Received): 650

i liked them. they were on the simpsons once!
godgame no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2015, 05:33 AM   #4583
Mr.Blian97

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by godgame View Post
i liked them. they were on the simpsons once!
So was the Sunsphere of my hometown, Knoxville, TN. I wouldn't be surprised if you've never heard of it, but it's the one building my city is known for! The appearance of a building on the Simpsons adds absolutely no significance, lol...
Mr.Blian97 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2015, 07:24 AM   #4584
godgame
BANNED

Likes (Received): 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Blian97 View Post
So was the Sunsphere of my hometown, Knoxville, TN. I wouldn't be surprised if you've never heard of it, but it's the one building my city is known for! The appearance of a building on the Simpsons adds absolutely no significance, lol...
you mean the wigsphere
godgame no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2015, 08:00 AM   #4585
Godzilla Ranger NYC
LOL

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by luci203 View Post
I like the old design a lot, but never felt it really fit the WTC site. I think would look more amazing in Hudson Yards than here.
(think some developers should use the scraped design for new proposals in Hudson Yards )

If we take the redesigned building "out of context" is not that terrible, is the location again.

I think it could look gobsmacking for example in Times Square, since the most important view (from street level) is rather decent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley1066 View Post
Fox News has no right to be in New York City period and so no one should be bending over backwards to accomodate their insane 1%er redneck racist needs.
Their garbage will now be seen above the streets lol
Godzilla Ranger NYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2015, 08:33 AM   #4586
ebrown89

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
100x better
Wow that looks great. Did you make that? You should email this to BIG.

lsg97 liked this post
ebrown89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2015, 08:41 AM   #4587
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2436

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatFan9 View Post
Love how everyone's complaining about how bland the complex is when the buildings they replaced were as bland as could possibly be.
Yeeppp.... They were so bland that they epitomized New York...

Pohtija liked this post
CCs77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2015, 09:18 AM   #4588
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastConformist View Post
Literally no one felt that way when they were still standing. Nostalgia clouds everyone's memory.
Lol, how do you know this? Did you take a survey?
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2015, 09:22 AM   #4589
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrown89 View Post
Wow that looks great. Did you make that? You should email this to BIG.
Unfortunately that wouldn't do anything. The reason they put in the cantilevers was to accomodate the huge floor spaces Fox News apparently needs (maybe to contain all that hot air).
So the design can only be dropped if Fox leaves or the design is somehow declared unsafe..
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2015, 11:12 AM   #4590
Fluxit
Fluxit Builders

Likes (Received): 822

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
So the design can only be dropped if Fox leaves or the design is somehow declared unsafe..
Why can't citizens put pressure on the mayor to stop this?
Why can't there be a referendum on what kind of development there should be on this iconic spot?
It seems very strange that this symbolic spot for the entire western world should be occupied by a project without visions.

When people in the middle ages build the cathedrals that tried to do it as best they could - not come up with some sloppy, vision-less job.
It actually means something what kind of architecture people build!
Fluxit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2015, 12:36 PM   #4591
VacaLoca

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
Jebus effing christ, I only took notice of this now. It is absolutely horrendous.

I'm sorry Americans, but the whole WTC project is starting to become a beacon of dispair rather than of strenght and the whole idea of 'you strike us down we come out better'.

It is symbolic not for the there desired greatness of the USA but of its slow downfall. It is ridiculous that 2WTC wasn't build right away. Sure, normally it is wise to be realistic about economic perspectives but this should have been about more than the commercial market. Why was there no collective action to make the original 2WTC work? Why did other influencial people, businesses, politicians not get involved to make it happen?

Now one of the biggest diseases of the US, Fox, is basically handing the finger to september 11th and the city of New York by ruining the whole WTC site with this ugly building.

The original design was designed with respect to the site and looked amazing. Not only would it have given rebirth to the skyline of New York on its own, it also complemented 1WTC whereas this new design completely ruins the whole sight.

RIP New York skyline... won't be long for it loses its appeal altogether in the world

(:, Crowns n' Spires, Pohtija, Swiddle, meds and 1 others liked this post
VacaLoca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2015, 12:48 PM   #4592
Prince Valium

Likes (Received): 31

nicely said...isn't it possible to motivate enough new yorkers to demonstrate against this? i'm still hoping for a wonder...
Prince Valium no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2015, 03:04 PM   #4593
DubaiM

Likes (Received): 4512

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Valium View Post
nicely said...isn't it possible to motivate enough new yorkers to demonstrate against this? i'm still hoping for a wonder...
Lol that would be really embarrassing for BIG
Old June 18th, 2015, 03:11 PM   #4594
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 718

I would rather say that this BUILDING is an embarassment for BIG, not the people protesting against it.

onewtclover, Dubai Skyscraper liked this post
Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2015, 04:42 PM   #4595
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

I can't blame BIG. They're not the ones who authorized a change nor are they held responsible for ultimately approving this final form. This is the price we pay for general social structure - People are often permitted to chase down their own stupid ideas and mistakes. It just happens that in architecture, particularly large scale projects, the public gets to witness the fruit of their labors. As with the quote attributed to Mr. Wright, "A doctor can bury his mistakes but an architect can only advise his clients to plant vines."

Frankly, given how this project has morphed I'm surprised we haven't seen an effort made to place some corporate logo at the top of one of these buildings, just so that it shows up in every frickin postcard and video image of this once majestic view.
Old June 18th, 2015, 04:48 PM   #4596
DUBAI10000

Likes (Received): 436

It does look much better without the overhanging floors however it still looks nasty. The only good view of the tower is from the memorial. This tower is not the worst of ever designed but it is not worthy of the WTC.
DUBAI10000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2015, 05:12 PM   #4597
baseball1992

Likes (Received): 262

Quote:
Originally Posted by VacaLoca View Post
Jebus effing christ, I only took notice of this now. It is absolutely horrendous.

I'm sorry Americans, but the whole WTC project is starting to become a beacon of dispair rather than of strenght and the whole idea of 'you strike us down we come out better'.

It is symbolic not for the there desired greatness of the USA but of its slow downfall. It is ridiculous that 2WTC wasn't build right away. Sure, normally it is wise to be realistic about economic perspectives but this should have been about more than the commercial market. Why was there no collective action to make the original 2WTC work? Why did other influencial people, businesses, politicians not get involved to make it happen?

Now one of the biggest diseases of the US, Fox, is basically handing the finger to september 11th and the city of New York by ruining the whole WTC site with this ugly building.

The original design was designed with respect to the site and looked amazing. Not only would it have given rebirth to the skyline of New York on its own, it also complemented 1WTC whereas this new design completely ruins the whole sight.

RIP New York skyline... won't be long for it loses its appeal altogether in the world
Oh give me a break. This whole post is exaggerated bs.

Is this building great? No. Is it a downgrade from the original design? absolutely. But it isn't the end of the world and a lot of you need to calm down and stop acting like a bunch of hormonal teenage girls about it.

It isn't going to ruin a skyline of NYC. The skyline is huge and will take a lot more than a single building to tarnish it.

Msradell, ebrown89 liked this post
baseball1992 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2015, 05:30 PM   #4598
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
Frankly, given how this project has morphed I'm surprised we haven't seen an effort made to place some corporate logo at the top of one of these buildings, just so that it shows up in every frickin postcard and video image of this once majestic view.
Don't give anyone ideas.

onewtclover liked this post
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2015, 05:34 PM   #4599
hateman

Likes (Received): 1797

This is a proposal for a condo in downtown Brooklyn:

http://newyorkyimby.com/2015/06/visi...ael-leyva.html

It's a disgrace that one of the most important construction sites in Manhattan has the same design quality as a condo in an outer borough. It's also indicative of a hype-talent disparity.
We are seeking to follow the type of architecture which is good in the sense that it does not of necessity follow the whims of the moment but seeks an artistry that ought to be good, as far as we can tell, for all time to come. -FDR

We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us. -Winston Churchill
hateman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2015, 06:31 PM   #4600
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22510

the Brooklyn tower is much better, especially as a skinny condo tower. BIG's 2 WTC would be cool as a standalone tower. In my opinion BIG's design doesn't deserve to stand amongst the other towers at the site.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
200 greenwich st., 2wtc, foster and partners, lower manhattan, new york, nyc, silverstein, supertall, world trade center