daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 18th, 2015, 06:42 PM   #4601
Torch

Likes (Received): 1014

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatFan9 View Post
Love how everyone's complaining about how bland the complex is when the buildings they replaced were as bland as could possibly be.
People don't compare 2 WTC - or the new complex in general - with the old WTC, but with the design they're waiting for 10 years!
The ride so far had it's delays and smaller disappointments. So I think the design change of 2 WTC was to much for most people.

Yes the old WTC was not pretty to say the least and it's plaza was concrete paradise. And nostalgia let people forget it's design flaws. So indeed a lot improved with the new designs.
But the twin towers gave something to the skyline, they had a great presence. A thing, IMO the Foster design gave NY back in some way. Foster's design was the star and gave the complex a face.
The new 2 WTC with its flat roof is lacking in this regard. Maybe in 10 years we see it differently. But for now it's one of the towers major flaws, I think.

2 WTC maybe a great working space and else where a quiet good and thoughtful design, but not for such an important and emotional location.
It seems to me, that Ingels put more thought in how it will look form Tribeca (where he lives btw), than it's effect on Memorial Plaza and the Skyline.

the dogi liked this post

Last edited by Torch; June 18th, 2015 at 06:47 PM.
Torch no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 18th, 2015, 07:32 PM   #4602
Pohtija
Dragonlike

Likes (Received): 850

When you talk about the view from Tribeca... Is this the angle you are talking about ? Cauce... I have to say... It's no better than the other angles i'm afraid...

Pohtija no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2015, 07:42 PM   #4603
weidncol
WTC Enthusiast/Researcher

Likes (Received): 4623

That's probably the worst angle.
Old June 18th, 2015, 07:44 PM   #4604
DubaiM

Likes (Received): 4512

Nope I believe the worst angle will be from the Brooklyn Bridge. Unfortunately there are no renders from that perspective.
Old June 18th, 2015, 08:16 PM   #4605
VacaLoca

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pohtija View Post
When you talk about the view from Tribeca... Is this the angle you are talking about ? Cauce... I have to say... It's no better than the other angles i'm afraid...

It really is like a skyscraper turd
Old June 18th, 2015, 08:17 PM   #4606
Torch

Likes (Received): 1014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pohtija View Post
I don't think it's that pretty either. I don't speak about beauty here.
But in the way how it was presented in the video. It seems that the towers relationship to Tribeca was the main reason of how the form of the tower came about. Everything else seems to me, as if it was developed as an after thought. Unlike Foster's design.
It is striking to me, that the most detailed renders are from Tribeca and Church street.
Not the the most prettiest angle, but the most "designed" angle, so to speak.

Pohtija liked this post
Torch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2015, 08:19 PM   #4607
VacaLoca

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball1992 View Post
Oh give me a break. This whole post is exaggerated bs.

Is this building great? No. Is it a downgrade from the original design? absolutely. But it isn't the end of the world and a lot of you need to calm down and stop acting like a bunch of hormonal teenage girls about it.

It isn't going to ruin a skyline of NYC. The skyline is huge and will take a lot more than a single building to tarnish it.
Synergy is what makes a good skyline, this particular one simply ruins that
VacaLoca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2015, 06:55 AM   #4608
Mr.Blian97

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
the Brooklyn tower is much better, especially as a skinny condo tower. BIG's 2 WTC would be cool as a standalone tower. In my opinion BIG's design doesn't deserve to stand amongst the other towers at the site.
That pretty much sums up my opinion about this tower, too (no pun intended). As a stand alone tower, this wouldn't be that bad! But it is standing among these other (much more iconic) towers that really make this stand out in the worst way possible.
Mr.Blian97 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2015, 07:15 AM   #4609
chris123678

Likes (Received): 143

Alot of people didn't think the twins were bland. Personally, they were. If it was just the North Tower that was built to stand alone, it would be probably considered hideous.

http://patrioticvoices.com/index.php
chris123678 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2015, 08:25 AM   #4610
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Can we not compare this to the twins, please? That's insulting them like no other.
ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2015, 10:18 AM   #4611
JohnDee

Likes (Received): 242

Disgusting Tower. I'm really devastated about this change. Why they go a ruin a beautiful tower, ya? Lord in heaven!
JohnDee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2015, 02:42 PM   #4612
Miami High Rise

Likes (Received): 2546

The tower in Brooklyn looks much worse. It's not graceful or powerful. This one is not graceful but it is powerful.
Miami High Rise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2015, 05:22 PM   #4613
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
Alot of people didn't think the twins were bland. Personally, they were. If it was just the North Tower that was built to stand alone, it would be probably considered hideous.
It can still be iconic and revered even if it's bland. Take the Aon Center in Chicago. Not exactly a scenic beauty but certainly appreciated locally for its contribution to the skyline and a respected representative of its style.

I don't think anyone is rewriting the architectural grade for the Twin Towers, merely appreciating that they helped create the iconic nature of the lower Manhattan skyline. They were a brand, easily recognizable and associated with the wealth of the city, so to that end they were a success. That also means the new buildings are facing a precedent, for better or for worse.

Alluding to my previous analogy, had New Coke simply been introduced as an alternative drink then no one would've scoffed. That it was presented as a replacement to the original gave it a wholly different role and thus a different reception. This is New Coke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Can we not compare this to the twins, please? That's insulting them like no other.
I think it's fair for people to raise the comparison. This new building is part of a project that replaces those buildings, after all, so these new constructs are occupying the same site and playing off the same context as the Twin Towers. That location is part of what made the Twin Towers famous the discussion is about how these buildings will play within that same space. Plus, the overall height and general form of the building is obviously implying some relationship with 1WTC as if to replicate the "twin" aspect.

It may not be a direct apples-to-apples comparison but there are grounds for weighing the two side by side.

onewtclover liked this post
GunnerJacket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2015, 07:16 PM   #4614
llr1234567890
Architecture Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 6

I still hope there is some way for this building not to be built, perhaps an issue with the existing foundation or the floors that have been already built? I don't think it is a terrible building (although to be frank I am not fond of it), but it just does not fit at the World Trade Center. In the middle of all of the uniform skyscrapers (1,3,4,7), it just appears like a mess, disorderly, and in some ways fragile.

Did the developers ever get public opinions before they went ahead and altered the design so much? It seems like developing the original design for the new WTC had so much debate, and this was just unveiled out of the blue.

Titan Man, Dubai Skyscraper liked this post

Last edited by llr1234567890; June 20th, 2015 at 03:15 AM.
llr1234567890 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2015, 10:00 PM   #4615
Handbanana

Likes (Received): 20

To be perfectly honest, at this point I would rather see 2 WTC remain a hole in the ground than this architectural abortion be constructed. At least the stepping down effect created with 3 and 4 would still look natural, this thing ruins the beauty of the entire complex.
Old June 20th, 2015, 02:23 AM   #4616
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 719

The funniest thing is that these cubes don't even remind me of the buildings in TriBeCa. I think he made that up to justify his shitty building.
Old June 20th, 2015, 02:40 AM   #4617
DeaconG
Registered Kibitzer

Likes (Received): 77

I just spent my time reading through the last ten, twenty pages.

Sweet Mother of God...what have they DONE?

(headdesk)

the dogi, AlexDemens liked this post
DeaconG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2015, 03:12 AM   #4618
SMCYB

Likes (Received): 1631

I have lost all interest in this piece of crap.
Old June 20th, 2015, 03:31 AM   #4619
jfuturearchitect

Likes (Received): 1

Compared to the old design, this is no comparison. I would like the old design to be built somewhere in NYC since it is, simply said, one of the best designs I have ever seen.
But now to the new design. To me, it's not that bad. For the WTC site, I don't like it, but that doesn't mean I hate it. I think BIG did pretty well making a cool design.
jfuturearchitect no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2015, 01:17 PM   #4620
Nostrano

Likes (Received): 7

At this point the better way would be don't build nothing else there (or just a few floors building) leaving the ONE WTC alone which is itself so iconic.
In my opinion this tower has nothing to do with the New York architecture and has a trivial design.
Sincerely I have no idea why these architects are so blazoned and paid so much in order to give birth to these abortions.
Nostrano no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
200 greenwich st., 2wtc, foster and partners, lower manhattan, new york, nyc, silverstein, supertall, world trade center