daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 25th, 2015, 02:12 PM   #4701
MichaelHunt
BANNED

Likes (Received): 24

What a fool!

The Capital of the World welcomes this masterpiece.

Zaz965 liked this post
MichaelHunt no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 25th, 2015, 02:18 PM   #4702
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 718

Talking about a blind fool...

Now, if you'll be soooo kind and explain to me what is so special about this tower and why is it better that the previous, I would appreciate it.

Godzilla Ranger NYC liked this post
Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2015, 02:30 PM   #4703
MichaelHunt
BANNED

I'm not engaging a troll like you. I'm just happy for yet another new icon rising in the Capital of the World.

Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by MichaelHunt; June 25th, 2015 at 02:39 PM.
Old June 25th, 2015, 02:39 PM   #4704
AlexDemens
BANNED

Likes (Received): 357

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelHunt View Post
I'm not engaging a troll like you. I'm just happy for yet another new icon rising in the Capital of the World.

this is icon for kids from kindergarden, stacked on other boxer
Old June 25th, 2015, 02:39 PM   #4705
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Quote:

You are hilarious. You're constantly saying how Bjarke's tower is better, but you don't have any argument supporting that. Talking about a troll...

Old June 25th, 2015, 02:41 PM   #4706
MichaelHunt
BANNED

A kindergardener could have designed this icon or One Brickell in Miami too. Does that detract from their status? Grow up, Princess Elsa and "let it go...."

Zaz965, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old June 25th, 2015, 02:47 PM   #4707
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Quote:
A kindergardener could have designed this icon too. Does that detract from its status? Grow up, Princess Elsa.

So, we should build ugly or bland buildings because they will become icons anyway... Interesting.
Old June 25th, 2015, 03:34 PM   #4708
luci203

Likes (Received): 1202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan Man View Post
So, we should build ugly or bland buildings because they will become icons anyway... Interesting.
Did happened that to the original WTC.

Video for another building, but also have rendered versions of previous 2WTC and 3WTC with spires.

AlexDemens, Lt. H Caine, Zaz965 liked this post
luci203 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2015, 03:59 PM   #4709
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

I know that happened to Twin Towers, but the new 2 WTC is not as nearly iconic as they were. There were two of them, and that's probably why they were so beloved. The new 2 WTC is not iconic, it looks weird and stupid and it DOESN'T HAVE A TWIN (thank God for that).
Old June 25th, 2015, 04:34 PM   #4710
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by godgame View Post
michealhunt = mikehunt = my ****.

this is a troll.
It is just another RobertWalpole account. He has several that he jumps between, and he registers new accounts when he is banned.

meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2015, 04:35 PM   #4711
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1035

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan Man View Post
You are hilarious. You're constantly saying how Bjarke's tower is better, but you don't have any argument supporting that. Talking about a troll...
What kind of argument would you even accept? We're talking about art here, which is subjective. He doesn't need to give an argument, it's an opinion. One shared by many but opposed by many more. But it's still an opinion.

If you don't like it, just know that it's entirely down to your preferences. There's no such thing as an inherently ugly design, only ugly reactions.

Stop trying to turn this into a measurement. As though architecture can be tallied up and determined to be good or bad based on metrics or stuff like that. It's all opinion.

The original twin towers were ugly. Much uglier than this. And nobody cared. People got over it after a few months.

It's only the tragedy of 9/11 that is inflating expectations. Were this built anywhere else in the world, nobody would bat an eyelid. But because it's at ground zero it has to be 'respectful' or 'dignified', or some other nonsense words because people are falling over themselves to be outraged on someone else's behalf. The fact that anything at all is being built is tribute enough. America needs to get over itself. It's not the only place where terrorists have claimed buildings as well as lives. Everywhere else just moves on. New designs are never what you want them to be. They never can. Short of building exact replicas of the original twins, no matter what was built here there would be detractors.

tius86 liked this post
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2015, 05:28 PM   #4712
Sun

Likes (Received): 247

http://h.fastcompany.net/multisite_f...ter-p-lego.gif

rákos, Zaz965 liked this post
Sun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2015, 05:35 PM   #4713
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeKindOfBug View Post
What kind of argument would you even accept? We're talking about art here, which is subjective. He doesn't need to give an argument, it's an opinion. One shared by many but opposed by many more. But it's still an opinion.
You can have debates about the virtues of artistic ventures without necessitating an argument or attacking individuals. Monsieur Hunt has both discredited others for their opinions and offered no discourse as to why he favors the new design. I'd love to hear the merits and see if I can learn to see what he sees, but to date nothing has been offered.

Quote:
There's no such thing as an inherently ugly design, only ugly reactions.
Really? I'd contend there are are volumes of bad design examples and that for the most part ugly reactions have a reason. I'm not saying it's a complete 1:1 relationship, merely saying opinions aren't formed in voids. Hence my curiosity of even differing opinions.

Quote:
Stop trying to turn this into a measurement. As though architecture can be tallied up and determined to be good or bad based on metrics or stuff like that. It's all opinion.
True, but unlike other art forms Architecture both serves a functional purpose and can impose itself on the public realm, influencing social behavior. Such as the creation of the skyscraper itself. To wit, understanding the nuances of architecture can help us learn and grow. I'd say that's part of what this site is supposed to advance, no?

Quote:
The original twin towers were ugly. Much uglier than this. And nobody cared. People got over it after a few months.
Perhaps if we had SSC back then...

In the meantime if you felt those building were ugly then it's okay for people to find this one ugly, too.

Quote:
It's only the tragedy of 9/11 that is inflating expectations. Were this built anywhere else in the world, nobody would bat an eyelid.
You could take 9/11 out of this and still have the issue because architecture is by it's very nature context sensitive. The location is a prominent one for lower Manhattan and the building will ultimately take a high place in an iconic skyline. Maybe it contributes to that scene and enhances the view, maybe it detracts from the scene and forges discord. If you hated the Twin Towers then you likely didn't celebrate postcards and movie scenes of that part of NYC, thinking it a bad brand. Well, that's what people are fearing now.

I'm not picking on you and think the discussion needs to evolve past grunts of "Good" or "Bad." Time to move past the visceral reactions and weigh the merits of what can be learned.

My thoughts, anyway.
Old June 25th, 2015, 06:08 PM   #4714
cyril sneer

Likes (Received): 837

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeKindOfBug View Post

If you don't like it, just know that it's entirely down to your preferences. There's no such thing as an inherently ugly design, only ugly reactions.

It's only the tragedy of 9/11 that is inflating expectations. Were this built anywhere else in the world, nobody would bat an eyelid. But because it's at ground zero it has to be 'respectful' or 'dignified', or some other nonsense words because people are falling over themselves to be outraged on someone else's behalf. The fact that anything at all is being built is tribute enough. America needs to get over itself. It's not the only place where terrorists have claimed buildings as well as lives. Everywhere else just moves on. New designs are never what you want them to be. They never can. Short of building exact replicas of the original twins, no matter what was built here there would be detractors.
Yeah but ground zero offered a once in a forseeable future opportunity of a large prime location space in downtown Manhatten. Perhaps the most famous vista in the world. I personally think they have all in all wasted this opportunity. I get what you say that not everyone would be happy with any design, but i think the vast majority agree the new design is a setback in quality from the original design for 2WTC.

gilad500, Damo liked this post
cyril sneer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2015, 06:16 PM   #4715
Mcully56964

Likes (Received): 34

At first i was skeptical but now im really liking this tower now i only see it as the only interesting looking building going up on the site unlike the bland towers one, three, and four

Last edited by Mcully56964; June 26th, 2015 at 12:56 AM.
Mcully56964 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2015, 07:22 PM   #4716
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post
It is just another RobertWalpole account. He has several that he jumps between, and he registers new accounts when he is banned.
Indeed. Reported again. Can't always spot him right away, but it doesn't take too long for him to show his real self.
Old June 25th, 2015, 08:02 PM   #4717
Chris666

Likes (Received): 29

I think nyc should wait...if the finance crisis is over...us should built the first mega-Tower in the world...freedom would be the small brother...and the new Tower becomes the Name victory Tower...I guess 1.800 meters round a about...with new automatic rocket laser defence...in case a plane is approching

the us citizens were always big children...I love that!
Chris666 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2015, 08:23 PM   #4718
iJosh
나쁜 머슴애

Likes (Received): 160

I'd rather have a box skyscraper than this.
iJosh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2015, 09:01 PM   #4719
qdny

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by iJosh View Post
I'd rather have a box skyscraper than this.
you'd rather have a box skyscraper over a box skyscraper

This kind of news is just enough to give us skyscraper fans a steel-superstructure erection of our own. :cheers:
qdny no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2015, 09:04 PM   #4720
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre000 View Post
Indeed. Reported again. Can't always spot him right away, but it doesn't take too long for him to show his real self.
What's his problem?! I'm new on Skyscrapercity and I'm not active on many threads so I haven't had any encounter with him until today. Does he always do that, being bitchy and against everyone for no particular reason?!

Godzilla Ranger NYC, Zaz965 liked this post

Tags
200 greenwich st., 2wtc, foster and partners, lower manhattan, new york, nyc, silverstein, supertall, world trade center