daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 25th, 2015, 10:22 PM   #4721
(:

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by qdny View Post
you'd rather have a box skyscraper over a box skyscraper
Yes.

qdny, Zaz965 liked this post
(: no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 25th, 2015, 11:30 PM   #4722
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Why do people lump all box shaped skyscrapers together? There are good ones and bad ones. I think most agree this is a bad one. But to each their own.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2015, 02:35 AM   #4723
Zaanstad_1987
Walking Dutchman

Likes (Received): 30

Does anyone know when they plan to start building? Would be great if it rose in the end fase of 3 WTC...

Although the old design was far more elegant and more a suited peace in this 15-20 year puzzle, it starts to grow on me! The shapes around the campus let this tower fit in eventually I guess, still they should change the overhanging cantilever effect...

P.s. Imagine Godzilla from the side, it looks like 2 wtc! :p
Zaanstad_1987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2015, 03:02 AM   #4724
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22528

Silverstein just needs a payment from Fox/Newscorp. I believe all they have given at this point is a tentative letter of intent.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2015, 03:17 AM   #4725
weidncol
WTC Enthusiast/Researcher

Likes (Received): 4623

If all goes as planned, construction will resume by early next year.

rákos, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
weidncol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2015, 05:08 AM   #4726
llr1234567890
Architecture Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeKindOfBug View Post
Because architecture is a blend of art and utility. We don't know the backroom needs of this project. We're not playing lego here. Tall buildings are expensive, and they need to justify their property value. The centre might have reached a point where the original 2WTC was never going to be built, regardless of design, just because of real world economics. It has laid dormant for a decade now, with no signs of life. At a certain point, you've just got to get on with things. That point, it seems, is now.

This is an extremely common occurrence in world architecture. Don't act like 2WTC is the first building to have a wonderful design scrapped for something cheaper and more available. Half of New York City's skyline is comprised of 'the other design' that was settled for after the original architect's vision was deemed infeasible.

People talking about leaving the site empty or going back to the drawing board or doing some kind of petition are living a fantasy. This ugly building will get built and in time will be accepted as part of the city. New York is ugly and brutal and has a theme of coarse pragmatism running through it. That's fine. No building is more important than the city as a whole. 2WTC will become part of the hive and add to the density of lower Manhattan and everything will be fine.
I think the real problem here is not what is being built, but where it is being build; they are not just building one of New York's tallest buildings, but they are building the World Trade Center, which has both an economic factor, but, unlike most buildings, also has a huge social impact as well. It will not only be a near instant landmark of the city, but the legacy we leave behind for those that died, and the buildings that stood. That along makes this design, to me, unacceptable. It fails to compliment the surroundings, and actually degrades the complex.
Old June 26th, 2015, 05:48 AM   #4727
CityGuy87

Likes (Received): 98

Just wondering, if the talks between "News" Corp and Silverstein break down and the deal doesn't go through, would they revert back to the Foster design since Ingels was only brought in because of Murdoch?
CityGuy87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2015, 06:01 AM   #4728
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Likes (Received): 2651

delete

ChuckScraperMiami#1, Zaz965 liked this post
bodegavendetta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2015, 11:39 AM   #4729
Godzilla Ranger NYC
LOL

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuy87 View Post
Just wondering, if the talks between "News" Corp and Silverstein break down and the deal doesn't go through, would they revert back to the Foster design since Ingels was only brought in because of Murdoch?
No way can News Corp resist the bragging rights of having a headquarters at the WTC.

I'm telling ya, once they move in, Fox News will shove in our faces how they're now at the World Trade Center
Godzilla Ranger NYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2015, 02:03 PM   #4730
Archnoor

Likes (Received): 8

Sheesh - talk about a top heavy, blunt building. The original tower's apex would have balanced its boxy neighbors. Now it just looks like ascending fingers.
Archnoor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2015, 03:34 PM   #4731
Wbino49

Likes (Received): 246

The conspiracist in me believes Newcorp. bought into the WTC for propagandist reasons alone.
Wbino49 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2015, 03:41 PM   #4732
karimbo

Likes (Received): 76

I have 2 questions for you:

1) Is the Murdoch building a done deal? Are we sure that the beautiful Foster building is dead or might there be hope that (with a million's voice petition) it might be brought back?

2) If the Murdoch building is built, will they be able to build on the "old foundations" or will they have to uproot them and build new ones?
karimbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2015, 09:09 PM   #4733
(:

Likes (Received): 229

1) it is very unlikely that we ever see Foster's tower. It is however possible that the current tower is re-designed. Though Larry Silverstein did express that Foster's design was his favorite in the complex, this as well as the public's distaste for the new design may lead Silverstein to revert to the original plan if the deal falls apart.

2) the new design was able to use the original core and foundations in the plan.
Old June 27th, 2015, 03:46 PM   #4734
ZARDOZ

Likes (Received): 1

This redesigned 2 WTC is not good architecture.
ZARDOZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2015, 05:58 PM   #4735
generalscarr

Likes (Received): 425

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDemens View Post
this is icon for kids from kindergarden, stacked on other boxer
If you want to leave condescending remarks about the works of acclaimed architects, it helps to be able to spell basic words correctly.
Like the word 'kindergarten'
generalscarr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2015, 09:23 PM   #4736
UrbanCitySpots

Likes (Received): 59

I can't say that I'm happy about this, hopefully they alter the design a bit. It's not bad or anything, but it's in no way iconic like the original design.
Old June 27th, 2015, 10:51 PM   #4737
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 719

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalscarr View Post
If you want to leave condescending remarks about the works of acclaimed architects, it helps to be able to spell basic words correctly.
Just because he is an acclaimed architect, it doesn't mean that every of his projects is good. Take this for example.

lsg97, AlexDemens, onewtclover, Damo liked this post
Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2015, 04:14 PM   #4738
AlexDemens
BANNED

Likes (Received): 357

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalscarr View Post
he is not God to find nice word in same sentence. kids like boxes, but in kindergarden even they are colorful, not blue and glassy. and big dissapiontment, that two highlights of his project (running line (if it will be) and trees on roofs) you can see when you too close to building. hope they make redesing, it's important to deliver our serious concern to team of architectors. maybe using "correctly" words
AlexDemens no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2015, 10:54 PM   #4739
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1035

Quote:
Originally Posted by llr1234567890 View Post
I think the real problem here is not what is being built, but where it is being build; they are not just building one of New York's tallest buildings, but they are building the World Trade Center, which has both an economic factor, but, unlike most buildings, also has a huge social impact as well. It will not only be a near instant landmark of the city, but the legacy we leave behind for those that died, and the buildings that stood. That along makes this design, to me, unacceptable. It fails to compliment the surroundings, and actually degrades the complex.
You're overestimating how much people care about what's built on the site of terrorist attacks. Trust me, in another ten years, nobody will even notice. Besudes, 1WTC is the iconic structure, the rejuvenation, the symbol. The rest is just filler.
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2015, 11:44 PM   #4740
AvigdorGoldstein
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

Beautiful tower, bubeleh.
AvigdorGoldstein no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
200 greenwich st., 2wtc, foster and partners, lower manhattan, new york, nyc, silverstein, supertall, world trade center