daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old June 30th, 2015, 05:54 PM   #4761
godgame
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 260
Likes (Received): 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiyardo View Post
The redesign is atrocious. I hope that this is just a concept and they consider the neighboring towers for the final redesign. Since this discussion has turned into a political discussion of those bashing Fox News, the numbers speak for themselves, Fox News has more exponentially more viewers because of their balanced approach on news. Sure, they lean slightly right. But, they are sprinkled with progressivism as well, which liberals love. Karl Rove for instance is a massive progressive. Those that bash Fox News for their views need to take an introspective look at how they get information and the rest of the media, who by in large are not just left leaning, but ultra liberal.
saying things does not make them true.
__________________

Mplsuptown, Zaz965 liked this post
godgame no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 30th, 2015, 08:19 PM   #4762
Wbino49
Registered User
 
Wbino49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NJ..I know...
Posts: 285
Likes (Received): 246

Silverstein is the bad guy here.
If he felt the Foster design was more important than $$ he would have made it happen.
Defenders come out! lol
Wbino49 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2015, 08:58 PM   #4763
KøbenhavnK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 384
Likes (Received): 354

A property developer in NYC putting cash first!

Oh my! What has the world become.
__________________

onewtclover liked this post
KøbenhavnK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2015, 09:05 PM   #4764
baseball1992
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 279
Likes (Received): 262

It's been 10 years. You can only let prime property like that in NY sit for so long.
baseball1992 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2015, 09:21 PM   #4765
jconyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 416
Likes (Received): 168

I haven't written anything here in a while but seeing this redesign has made my hair stand on end. I too think it is a terrible, terrible design. I find it distasteful. Not just in light of the loss of the dramatic, distinctive, and uplifting Foster design but the fact that this new design sets off to trivialize the collapse of the original towers in some sort of bizarre mocking gesture. It will be an embarrassment to New York adding insult to injury. I won't comment further only pray it doesn't get built.
__________________

(:, baisaroff, onewtclover liked this post
jconyc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2015, 11:26 PM   #4766
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher
 
Uaarkson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: East Side Flint
Posts: 2,527
Likes (Received): 1028

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiyardo View Post
The redesign is atrocious. I hope that this is just a concept and they consider the neighboring towers for the final redesign. Since this discussion has turned into a political discussion of those bashing Fox News, the numbers speak for themselves, Fox News has more exponentially more viewers because of their balanced approach on news. Sure, they lean slightly right. But, they are sprinkled with progressivism as well, which liberals love. Karl Rove for instance is a massive progressive. Those that bash Fox News for their views need to take an introspective look at how they get information and the rest of the media, who by in large are not just left leaning, but ultra liberal.
Holy shit man, how deluded do you have to be.
__________________
Manhattan http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S1MySJoFl8&hd=1 (HD)

Mplsuptown liked this post
Uaarkson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2015, 12:56 AM   #4767
Mônsterior
roiretsnôM
 
Mônsterior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,966
Likes (Received): 2746

Gosh, WTC complex is getting worse and worse, unfortunately...
__________________
WYCIECZKA DO GNIEWNEGO WROCŁAWIA + styropianowy pałac na Ostrowie >>>
Mônsterior no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2015, 01:33 AM   #4768
Vertical_Gotham
Registered User
 
Vertical_Gotham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 4,437
Likes (Received): 6488

Let me get this straight, according to you the WTC was already worst but now with the redesign of tower 2, it's even more so?

FYI, with the towers already up with towers 1, 4 & 7 and with the memorial, Transpo Hub et al, the site is amazing.

When Tower 3 finishes, it will just makes it even more so and finally when 2 WTC rises, the Site will be INCREDIBLE!!

You should really come to NY and see for yourself. I love how easy it is for outsiders to easily try to rip a big one in re: WTC site when they never been there.
__________________
-------------------------



Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

sylar82, Lt. H Caine, citybooster liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2015, 02:01 AM   #4769
Blue Flame
Get Silly!
 
Blue Flame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lexington,KY
Posts: 2,369
Likes (Received): 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
Let me get this straight, according to you the WTC was already worst but now with the redesign of tower 2, it's even more so?

FYI, with the towers already up with towers 1, 4 & 7 and with the memorial, Transpo Hub et al, the site is amazing.

When Tower 3 finishes, it will just makes it even more so and finally when 2 WTC rises, the Site will be INCREDIBLE!!

You should really come to NY and see for yourself. I love how easy it is for outsiders to easily try to rip a big one in re: WTC site when they never been there.
In due fairness, there are people who have seen the WTC site plenty of times in person, and are still disappointed, finding the development as a whole fairly uninspiring, and the towers as incoherent with each other.
__________________
A cynic is nothing but a realist with experience.
Blue Flame no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2015, 02:22 AM   #4770
iiConTr0v3rSYx
Brooklyn Boy
 
iiConTr0v3rSYx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 1,342
Likes (Received): 2907

I was ok with everything they did with 1 WTC. The plaza change, removal of the radome, and what I think was the best redesign, the base.

What has happened to 2 and 3 WTC is quite a shame. BIG's building may look better somewhere in midtown, preferable the Hudson Yards, it just doesn't belong in downtown with the other towers.

Sigh.
__________________
Want to take a magical aerial tour of NY?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBPrNUzk1BA

Check this guy out for Monthly updates on the WTC.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc3yuNST1YhPioYxJtqJWtQ

(:, HRP4Life liked this post
iiConTr0v3rSYx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2015, 10:14 AM   #4771
Mônsterior
roiretsnôM
 
Mônsterior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,966
Likes (Received): 2746

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
Let me get this straight, according to you the WTC was already worst but now with the redesign of tower 2, it's even more so?

FYI, with the towers already up with towers 1, 4 & 7 and with the memorial, Transpo Hub et al, the site is amazing.

When Tower 3 finishes, it will just makes it even more so and finally when 2 WTC rises, the Site will be INCREDIBLE!!

You should really come to NY and see for yourself. I love how easy it is for outsiders to easily try to rip a big one in re: WTC site when they never been there.
First, a trip to NYC is one of my biggest dreams and I believe one day it will come true. Second, from beginning of WTC complex's 'reconstruction' I think Twin Towers shall be rebuild in their original shape. They were iconic and design of Child's tower is naive. So yes, I think WTC complex is already bad and it's getting worse. BTW, I'm not New Yorker, of course, but I know few New Yorkers. When I asked them, how they find new WTC design, they said in their opinion it is pathetic.
__________________
WYCIECZKA DO GNIEWNEGO WROCŁAWIA + styropianowy pałac na Ostrowie >>>
Mônsterior no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2015, 03:15 PM   #4772
karimbo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 177
Likes (Received): 76

deleted
karimbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2015, 04:18 PM   #4773
karimbo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 177
Likes (Received): 76

deleted

Last edited by karimbo; July 1st, 2015 at 04:39 PM.
karimbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2015, 04:38 PM   #4774
karimbo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 177
Likes (Received): 76

I watched BIG's video about where he got his inspiration... The Tribeca, the pile of houses, and all the B.S...

Then, while I was browsing the internet, I found out where he REALLY got his inspiration from:


__________________

Melonus, Mônsterior, (:, AlexDemens, Pohtija and 7 others liked this post
karimbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2015, 06:33 PM   #4775
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!
 
ThatOneGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto - Bucharest - Freeport
Posts: 21,479

Look at Bjarke's tower in Frankfurt
__________________

onewtclover liked this post
ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2015, 06:35 PM   #4776
Vertical_Gotham
Registered User
 
Vertical_Gotham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 4,437
Likes (Received): 6488

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mônsterior View Post
First, a trip to NYC is one of my biggest dreams and I believe one day it will come true. Second, from beginning of WTC complex's 'reconstruction' I think Twin Towers shall be rebuild in their original shape. They were iconic and design of Child's tower is naive. So yes, I think WTC complex is already bad and it's getting worse. BTW, I'm not New Yorker, of course, but I know few New Yorkers. When I asked them, how they find new WTC design, they said in their opinion it is pathetic.
Ok, so you admit never coming to New York and you just admitted your bias towards the site by essentially saying the old twins should have been replicated at the site. So you admit that anything other than the twins on that the site is “worse”. Correct? It’s a bit shady making such a statement but I admit it is pretty impressive considering you never had been at the site to fully experience.

Re: Rebuilding the Twins:
It’s like a girl saying Brad Pitt should have just gone back to Jennifer Aniston instead of marrying that chick Jolie and therefore, I hate Brad forever and I don’t care!! Jolie is/was pretty hot!

Since your “New York” friends think the site is pathetic, your opinion is validated?? Care to supply their contact info as reference?? All kidding aside, it’s like me forming an opinion based on my Ex-pat friends living in Paris, which I dearly love. Believe it or not, they said they think the city’s architecture is boring and same. If I ever formed my opinion based on theirs, I would not have given the time or day to visit that city even once. Since I’d had been to that city a handful of times, you know how I feel about it and lovingly, I say they are morons for thinking so.

Believe it or not, I have a friend that visited Poland and she said the city of Warsaw is ugly. While that may be true, I hope to visit it one day before I can form my “own” honest opinion about the city before saying it is the absolutely the “worst” city in central Europe.

While I respect your opinion, it is hard to have a truthful opinion based on viewing pictures from your computer desk. Sometimes, actually being there is when one can truly experience the beauty and I feel once the forever on-going construction at the WTC site is completed, it is then it can be fully judged especially when seen in person.

Once day when you come to NYC, hopefully the site is completed and give it a chance... you may be surprised.
__________________
-------------------------



Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; July 1st, 2015 at 06:59 PM.
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2015, 07:14 PM   #4777
Pohtija
Dragonlike
 
Pohtija's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Lahti and Turku
Posts: 580
Likes (Received): 846


Maybe he means compared to other magnificent skyscraper developments (pictures of them) around the globe (and NYC midtown)... Cause it's kinda like what I feel... Except for One WTC which is great.
Pohtija no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2015, 11:18 PM   #4778
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
 
desertpunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: ELP ~ ABQ
Posts: 55,648
Likes (Received): 53449

Boxes. Wow, NYC could sure use a few more of such an incredible design innovation!







__________________
We are floating in space...
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2015, 12:46 AM   #4779
Blue Flame
Get Silly!
 
Blue Flame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lexington,KY
Posts: 2,369
Likes (Received): 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
Holy shit man, how deluded do you have to be.
Not arguing with you, but what would you suggest as a better alternative?
__________________
A cynic is nothing but a realist with experience.
Blue Flame no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2015, 02:00 AM   #4780
Mônsterior
roiretsnôM
 
Mônsterior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,966
Likes (Received): 2746

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
Ok, so you admit never coming to New York and you just admitted your bias towards the site by essentially saying the old twins should have been replicated at the site. So you admit that anything other than the twins on that the site is “worse”. Correct? It’s a bit shady making such a statement but I admit it is pretty impressive considering you never had been at the site to fully experience.

Re: Rebuilding the Twins:
It’s like a girl saying Brad Pitt should have just gone back to Jennifer Aniston instead of marrying that chick Jolie and therefore, I hate Brad forever and I don’t care!! Jolie is/was pretty hot!

Since your “New York” friends think the site is pathetic, your opinion is validated?? Care to supply their contact info as reference?? All kidding aside, it’s like me forming an opinion based on my Ex-pat friends living in Paris, which I dearly love. Believe it or not, they said they think the city’s architecture is boring and same. If I ever formed my opinion based on theirs, I would not have given the time or day to visit that city even once. Since I’d had been to that city a handful of times, you know how I feel about it and lovingly, I say they are morons for thinking so.

Believe it or not, I have a friend that visited Poland and she said the city of Warsaw is ugly. While that may be true, I hope to visit it one day before I can form my “own” honest opinion about the city before saying it is the absolutely the “worst” city in central Europe.

While I respect your opinion, it is hard to have a truthful opinion based on viewing pictures from your computer desk. Sometimes, actually being there is when one can truly experience the beauty and I feel once the forever on-going construction at the WTC site is completed, it is then it can be fully judged especially when seen in person.

Once day when you come to NYC, hopefully the site is completed and give it a chance... you may be surprised.
I may be wrong but you sound like a man who knows the design of new WTC isn't the best but defends it at any price. You do that because you're a true New Yorker and you love your city. It's natural!

I've never been to New York but nowadays we have a lot of tools we can use to know world even without travelling. Google Maps, SSC forum etc. Of course, the best way is travelling but both of us know it isn't so simple. Yes, it is a possibility I liked new WTC when I saw it by myself but I don't believe it. I think hundreds of photos I've seen are enought to judge the project - and I don't think reconstruction of Twin Towers was one and only solution but in my opinion it was, actually, the best solution.

If someone designed something better than Twin Towers his project could be chosen, why not? But do you really think the new complex is better than the original? Twin Towers were the icons of architecture. They were like modern cathedrals. Cathedrals of trade. The new buildings, especially 1WTC and 3WTC, are pretty bad. Their design will be 'old' very fast. The worst thing in all the WTC buildings is their reflective glass. It looks so 90's! And now the best of all projects, 2WTC, is replaced with a skyscraper which doesn't fit there!

As you noticed I come form Warsaw. It's a city where I was born, I live here and I love it. As you know from history lessons Warsaw was completely destroyed during the II World War. And it wasn't a result of warfare only but Hitler ordered to destroy the city because he really hated Poles and their capital city. Sounds familiar, hm? Twin Towers were destroyed not by accident but intentionally, too. And the Warsaw Old Town was reconstructed as it looked like before the war (with lots of changes but still). It was a symbol Warsaw will exist forever and "bad guys" can do nothing because the city will rise from ashes. In my opinion New York should do the same in case of Twin Towers.

A lot of people, as your firend said, think Warsaw is ugliest city in Europe. There are a lot of factors why people don't like the city. Are they right? That topic is very hard - I think they aren't but I love Warsaw so I'm not impartial And if you can't judge all the city with photos you can do that with photos of individual buildings. For example you can say you like (or not) the Royal Castle, Palace of Culture etc. The same with WTC complex.
__________________
WYCIECZKA DO GNIEWNEGO WROCŁAWIA + styropianowy pałac na Ostrowie >>>

Last edited by Mônsterior; July 2nd, 2015 at 10:41 PM.
Mônsterior no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
200 greenwich st., 2wtc, foster and partners, lower manhattan, new york, nyc, silverstein, supertall, world trade center

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu