daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 6th, 2015, 06:53 PM   #4801
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22510

it's sad to know that this cityscape, once dominated by towers with beautiful crowns and spires, will be dominated by boxy protrusions for a long time to come. i can only hope that the next wave of strikingly tall towers in Lower Manhattan will have some sort of crown worthy of the downtown skyline:

Jun 1955 (3) by Personanondata - Michael Cairns, on Flickr

Jun 1955 (16) by Personanondata - Michael Cairns, on Flickr

Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 6th, 2015, 07:18 PM   #4802
Blue Flame
Get Silly!

Likes (Received): 575

The problem with the new 2WTC design is the same problem that 1WTC has, as far as I'm concerned. It isn't a bad design, but it isn't good enough for the site it's on.

The same people who would complain greatly about it now would probably give it great adulation if it were a proposal for the second phase of the Hudson Yards.
Particularly if FOX weren't the tenant. Personally, the concern of who the tenant is is immaterial to me, but I know some people seem to have a problem with it.
Old July 6th, 2015, 07:29 PM   #4803
weidncol
WTC Enthusiast/Researcher

Likes (Received): 4623

I feel like 1 WTC is most definitely "good enough" to be on the site.
Old July 6th, 2015, 07:36 PM   #4804
Kykuit
BANNED

Likes (Received): 33

[QUOTE=Hudson11;125346237]it's sad to know that this cityscape, once dominated by towers with beautiful crowns and spires, will be dominated by boxy protrusions for a long time to come. i can only hope that the next wave of strikingly tall towers in Lower Manhattan will have some sort of crown worthy of the downtown skyline:

I think you are awfully pessimistic!..boxy protrusions!?lol!what about Nordstrom ,Steinway,One Vanderbild,Verre and many others!...the architectural diversity is just amazing and I have big hope about One Vanderbild as NY's most beautiful and beloved tower.What New York currently needs are some clusters of tapered roofs and we're gonna have one in Hudson yards;Definitely,everything sounds fine to me and more than ever NY is the indisputable Mecca of architecture.
....And by the way,you're gonna see that tower two will end up being fantastic....like Calatrava's hub that everybody was mocking and decrying!

Last edited by Kykuit; July 6th, 2015 at 07:45 PM.
Kykuit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2015, 07:41 PM   #4805
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kykuit View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
it's sad to know that this cityscape, once dominated by towers with beautiful crowns and spires, will be dominated by boxy protrusions for a long time to come. i can only hope that the next wave of strikingly tall towers in Lower Manhattan will have some sort of crown worthy of the downtown skyline:
I think you are awfully pessimistic!..boxy protrusions!?lol!what about Nordstrom ,Steinway,One Vanderbild,Verre and many others!...the architectural diversity is just amazing and I have big hope about One Vanderbild as NY's most beautiful and beloved tower.What New York currently needs are some clusters of tapered roofs and we're gonna have one in Hudson yards;Definitely,everything sounds fine to me and more than ever NY is the indisputable Mecca of architecture.
Everything you just listed is in Midtown.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2015, 07:54 PM   #4806
Kykuit
BANNED

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
Everything you just listed is in Midtown.

....I love so much NY that it's tough for me to admit that there is a real issue about lower Manhattan..but you are right!
Kykuit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2015, 08:13 PM   #4807
Brooklyn Rising

Likes (Received): 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidncol View Post
Considering that the twin towers were just gray boxes it's most certainly good enough for this site.

onewtclover liked this post
Brooklyn Rising no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2015, 10:32 PM   #4808
godgame
BANNED

Likes (Received): 650

Quote:
but thats the problem.
it should be "best in the world" not "meh its good enough lets go get beers"

SMCYB liked this post
godgame no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2015, 10:54 PM   #4809
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Rising View Post
Considering that the twin towers were just gray boxes it's most certainly good enough for this site.
Not exactly aspiring for architectural greatness, eh? So where does that cycle end, or do we simply let each new generation of buildings settle on being less than its predecessor?
Old July 6th, 2015, 11:03 PM   #4810
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31692

Quote:
The twin towers might have been boxes, but there were no other boxes in the world like that for a long, long time. That is what made the twins special. Just like height makes the Burj Khalifa special. There is nothing special about the new WTC buildings, worst of all with the horrendous new WTC 2 proposal. There is nothing groundbreaking about these new WTC towers, thery are just boxes...... with WTC1 being the pretties box (I have to admit the shape is interesting but still not revolutionary) and WTC2 being the ugliest. The old WTC2 design was definitely the best of the complex.

Last edited by JuanPaulo; July 6th, 2015 at 11:09 PM.
JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2015, 11:07 PM   #4811
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
I agree about the building but it would be much better if they lost that stupid looking antenna they stuck on top of it!
Old July 6th, 2015, 11:54 PM   #4812
Lt. H Caine

Likes (Received): 4663

I think 1 & 4 WTC turned out great, 3 will be great too even without the spires... and I'm really liking the transportation hub. Tower 2 could have been worse.

Brooklyn Rising, onewtclover liked this post
Lt. H Caine está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2015, 12:00 AM   #4813
SMCYB

Likes (Received): 1629

As I read the previous emails I notice a theme: that we're all trying to convince ourselves to accept this new design in our hearts. I just can't do it. The old design was masterful, this one is a pile of boxes.

(: liked this post
SMCYB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2015, 12:49 AM   #4814
Brooklyn Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
Not exactly aspiring for architectural greatness, eh? So where does that cycle end, or do we simply let each new generation of buildings settle on being less than its predecessor?
Not saying that we should always settle for less of course not. Heck if I were in charge of building the new world trade center I would want it to be the best building in the world after what happened there. But I would by no means say this is less than its predecessor. Yeah they don't have the huge imposing feel that the twins had but in terms of design they are a huge improvement. Are they the best design we could've come up with? Of course not but considering what we were originally gonna get for this site, it's a huge improvement. We can have our architectural greatness elsewhere in the city.

onewtclover liked this post
Old July 7th, 2015, 12:55 AM   #4815
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31692

Quote:
.....We can have our architectural greatness elsewhere in the city.
The WTC site is THE site for architectural greatness. There is no other larger parcel that can accommodate such an orchestrated complex of towers. Plus, bear in mind the history of this site. No other site deserves more "architectural greatness" other than this site. And what we have gotten is less than architectural greatness. I go as far as to say we will be getting "architectural crap" if that new WTC2 gets built.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2015, 03:04 AM   #4816
Brooklyn Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanPaulo View Post
The WTC site is THE site for architectural greatness. There is no other larger parcel that can accommodate such an orchestrated complex of towers. Plus, bear in mind the history of this site. No other site deserves more "architectural greatness" other than this site. And what we have gotten is less than architectural greatness. I go as far as to say we will be getting "architectural crap" if that new WTC2 gets built.
The Hudson Yards is more than enough to accomodate a large amount of complex and great skyscrapers. Yeah some stuff was value engineered but were talking at least 12 years of the design process of course stuff was going to change. Judging by the video 2 WTC looks like the nicest building to work in. I'm okay with what it looks like from every angle but the north side cause it looks off. At the end of the day were the only ones who care what these buildings are gonna look like.
Old July 7th, 2015, 03:51 AM   #4817
godgame
BANNED

Likes (Received): 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiyardo View Post
..unless they are backed by facts.
and yet all you have is bullshit.
godgame no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2015, 04:58 AM   #4818
Godzilla Ranger NYC
LOL

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Dodd View Post
2WTC doesn't need any dishes hanging on it. That's what the communications ring on 1WTC are there for.
Well, newer concept art of 1WTC didn't have dishes on that ring
Godzilla Ranger NYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2015, 06:15 AM   #4819
The seventh shape
Master of his domain

Likes (Received): 819

I have to say WTC2 looks good from the angle in that last picture, and looks well suited to the surrounding towers. From other angles it fails miserably.
The seventh shape está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2015, 07:50 AM   #4820
AnOldBlackMarble
read lightship chronicles

Likes (Received): 5755

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMCYB View Post
As I read the previous emails I notice a theme: that we're all trying to convince ourselves to accept this new design in our hearts. I just can't do it. The old design was masterful, this one is a pile of boxes.
I never thought the old design was masterful. To me it was just OK. But this redesign is such a disaster that now I cry tears at night for the old design.

Tags
200 greenwich st., 2wtc, foster and partners, lower manhattan, new york, nyc, silverstein, supertall, world trade center