daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 23rd, 2015, 08:52 PM   #4881
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3588

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouDagreat View Post
The New York Times has a short video rendering of 5 views of the 2 WTC design:

http://www.nytimes.com/newsgraphics/...-trade-center/
Even though the design remains terrible, this is a pretty sweet interactive tool. Anyone have an idea where this model came from, and if it's ever been used before? I'd love to see it adapted to other projects in the future.

Also, having had some more time to process it, I think I'm zeroing in on precisely what I find so ugly and inelegant about this design (aside from the tilting over cantilevers and the distasteful underside news tickers) -- and it has everything to do with the setbacks.

Of the 7 blocks comprising the tower, the lower 6 are identical in height, which creates a flat line for our eyes to follow...

...which is fine in and of itself, except that the 7th block is inexplicably shorter, so our eyes are suddenly drawn off track like this:

Basically, it makes it stumpy and unsatisfying, especially for those of us drawn to more classical shapes (the kind imagined by Hugh Ferriss, and found most prominently in art deco). Whether we're trained or it's in our nature, most of us prefer buildings with soaring sightlines, that direct our eyes up into the sky, rather than off at some cockeyed angle.

Compare the setbacks of 2WTC to 111 W. 57th (Renders by the incomparable Otie):

You can see how the height between the the setbacks changes -- shortening as we approach the top, and then elongating again at the pinnacle. It draws our eyes up, nearly vertically by the top. So if you applied a similar angle of inclination to 2 WTC it would be more like this:

I don't know if that would work for 2 WTC because just elongating that uppermost box may look weird, but I think we would all find it more satisfying if 1) the setback heights changed more dynamically, and 2) the sightline they generated directed our eyes upwards instead of sideways.

But maybe that's just me.

Last edited by MarshallKnight; July 23rd, 2015 at 09:55 PM.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 23rd, 2015, 09:29 PM   #4882
Chris666

Likes (Received): 29

perhaps this design is chosen, because so many People don't agree with it, that at the end...a twin Tower is built?
Chris666 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2015, 09:42 PM   #4883
cyb0rg
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Are they seriously planning on building this? I'm trying to be open minded but it looks very unsatisfying and will probably be detrimental to the gorgeous NYC skyline.
cyb0rg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2015, 10:24 PM   #4884
hateman

Likes (Received): 1798

Look at classic examples of setback skyscrapers in NYC:

And now 2WTC:

Bjarke should take some more inspiration from what went before.
We are seeking to follow the type of architecture which is good in the sense that it does not of necessity follow the whims of the moment but seeks an artistry that ought to be good, as far as we can tell, for all time to come. -FDR

We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us. -Winston Churchill
hateman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2015, 12:41 AM   #4885
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

It's more like 'offset blocks' than setbacks.
ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2015, 03:49 AM   #4886
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 560

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiM View Post
Some more renders of the complex:

I can tolerate this building from most angles, but this is the angle that I just can't get over. It's absolutely awful.

DrunkMonkey liked this post
yankeesfan1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2015, 07:41 AM   #4887
Juanes11

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidsam52 View Post
It seems that there is widespread and almost universal distaste for the new design (including this user). One can only hope that somehow, Silverstein, FOX, and BIG are listening and will come up with something better.
The opposite is true. There has been widespread acclaim for the tower from architectural critics and the public. It's a significant improvement over the derivative Foster design.

The only place where I have seen criticism is in SSC. No offense, but this website is hardly representative of the public, and few people posting here have any design background. You see it in the comments like "this looks like a stack of boxes". It sounds like simpletons going to a modern art museum and saying "I could have thrown paint on a canvas too".

Now obviously you're entitled to your opinion. But just realize it isn't shared by most especially the design professionals and decision-makers.
Juanes11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2015, 08:34 AM   #4888
godgame
BANNED

Likes (Received): 650

yeah ima call bs on you.
godgame no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2015, 10:44 AM   #4889
noms78

Likes (Received): 244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanes11 View Post
The opposite is true. There has been widespread acclaim for the tower from architectural critics and the public. It's a significant improvement over the derivative Foster design.

The only place where I have seen criticism is in SSC. No offense, but this website is hardly representative of the public, and few people posting here have any design background. You see it in the comments like "this looks like a stack of boxes". It sounds like simpletons going to a modern art museum and saying "I could have thrown paint on a canvas too".

Now obviously you're entitled to your opinion. But just realize it isn't shared by most especially the design professionals and decision-makers.
I would be very interested in seeing such articles. Can you share the links?
noms78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2015, 11:19 AM   #4890
xing lin
I ♥ HK

Likes (Received): 614

I think if they extend those cantilevers downwards, it could give the building some vertical emphasis
Old July 24th, 2015, 02:25 PM   #4891
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanes11 View Post

It sounds like the design community has its head too far up its own you-know-what and is getting high off the farts. I've seen plenty of criticism elsewhere.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2015, 06:39 PM   #4892
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by noms78 View Post
He won't be able to provide links to them because they don't exist!
Old July 24th, 2015, 07:00 PM   #4893
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3588

Quote:
The original Wired article with the reveal of the new design includes a passage about Silverstein approaching the other WTC architects about the design:

Quote:
so he called a meeting at his offices to elicit the opinion of David Childs, chair emeritus of the firm Skidmore, Owings & Merrill and the primary designer of One World Trade Center. Ingels presented the building, and after some nervous moments—Childs started by saying he’d promised to give his “honest opinion”—the elder architect offered an emphatic endorsement. Later Silverstein received similar reassurances from Richard Rogers and Fumihiko Maki, the architects of towers Three and Four.
And Curbed had an article about Community Board 1's reaction to being shown the design:

Quote:
Although the design was first unveiled by Wired in the beginning of June, the peoples' committee was presented the plan on July 13, says Downtown Express, which they reacted to with applause.
Conversely, there has definitely been criticism of not just 2 WTC, but Bjarke's work in general, as described in this NYT article:

Quote:
Critics of Mr. Ingels, however, say that his work tends to mirror the same innovations popular among other so-called starchitects: lots of glass walls, big open workspaces, geometric designs that seem pursued for their novelty rather than usability.

The building at 2 World Trade Center, for instance, will have outdoor terraces on many of the highest levels. “Have you ever been in a garden on a balcony on the 80th floor of a building?” asked Mr. Kimmelman. “It’s windy up there, Bjarke.”

Regarding the building, Mr. Kimmelman added, “I can’t help but feel that this is an office park, why are you not just building another tower for an office park?”
Kimmelman, if you didn't know, is the NY Time's resident architecture critic, who has not always been kind to starchitects, and I'm honestly looking forward to his op-ed on 2 WTC, which is surely in the works.

But it's true that there is plenty of support for the design out there. Considering my own feelings about it, I'm surprised there hasn't been a more vocal opposition. I honestly think the prevailing sentiment with regards to the WTC is "Just finish already," and the average person is less interested in the architecture than finishing the healing process in FiDi and restoring it to a fully integrated neighborhood.
Old July 25th, 2015, 12:51 AM   #4894
robertitoam

Likes (Received): 198

Quote:
Originally Posted by xing lin View Post
I think if they extend those cantilevers downwards, it could give the building some vertical emphasis
That is definitely not perfect but at least a MILLION times better than the current turd of a design.

onewtclover liked this post
robertitoam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2015, 02:53 AM   #4895
seb.nl

Likes (Received): 1277

Ah yes, and now we've established that vertical line in the design, maybe we could take that highest column, multiply it by four and make the resulting four tops look diamond shaped... Then we're really on to something...
seb.nl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2015, 04:52 AM   #4896
noms78

Likes (Received): 244

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post

And Curbed had an article about Community Board 1's reaction to being shown the design:
Scroll to the bottom... Most of the comments aren't so positive
noms78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2015, 05:11 AM   #4897
iiConTr0v3rSYx
Brooklyn Boy

Likes (Received): 2922

Quote:
Scroll to the bottom... Most of the comments aren't so positive
Praise for the building seems to be most positive over at SSP.

Check this guy out for Monthly updates on the WTC.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc3yuNST1YhPioYxJtqJWtQ
iiConTr0v3rSYx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2015, 09:21 AM   #4898
Juank1217

Likes (Received): 14

The design is similar to bd Bacata in Bogota - Colombia . also that building is already nearing completion in online images we note that also will have green terraces on each step . that means bjarke disregarded this building for its design.!!
Juank1217 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2015, 03:34 PM   #4899
vic22

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juank1217 View Post
The design is similar to bd Bacata in Bogota - Colombia . also that building is already nearing completion in online images we note that also will have green terraces on each step . that means bjarke disregarded this building for its design.!!
Yeah i drew that building for a work for class and it's really similar
vic22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2015, 07:07 PM   #4900
wespje1990

Likes (Received): 805

Went to check on the progress of WTC2 and i must say i'm shocked...What happened?
The orignal design was so promising, a true masterpiece in the making and in my opinion the finishing touch of the new wtc site.

Can anybody explain why exactly the design has changed?

Tags
200 greenwich st., 2wtc, foster and partners, lower manhattan, new york, nyc, silverstein, supertall, world trade center