daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 25th, 2015, 07:15 PM   #4901
iiConTr0v3rSYx
Brooklyn Boy

Likes (Received): 2913

Quote:
Originally Posted by wespje1990 View Post
Went to check on the progress of WTC2 and i must say i'm shocked...What happened?
The orignal design was so promising, a true masterpiece in the making and in my opinion the finishing touch of the new wtc site.

Can anybody explain why exactly the design has changed?
Foster's 2 WTC didn't have the space required for Fox.

Check this guy out for Monthly updates on the WTC.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc3yuNST1YhPioYxJtqJWtQ
iiConTr0v3rSYx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 25th, 2015, 07:17 PM   #4902
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

It gets uglier and uglier the more I look at it.

Truly huge disappointment. I think it should be more of a political question rather than only commercial. This is not an ordinary place and and not an ordinary office tower.

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2015, 08:10 PM   #4903
Juank1217

Likes (Received): 14

This is the building that said that is similar in design in Bogota
Juank1217 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2015, 08:12 PM   #4904
generalscarr

Likes (Received): 425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanes11 View Post
The opposite is true. There has been widespread acclaim for the tower from architectural critics and the public. It's a significant improvement over the derivative Foster design. The only place where I have seen criticism is in SSC. No offense, but this website is hardly representative of the public, and few people posting here have any design background. You see it in the comments like "this looks like a stack of boxes". It sounds like simpletons going to a modern art museum and saying "I could have thrown paint on a canvas too". Now obviously you're entitled to your opinion. But just realize it isn't shared by most especially the design professionals and decision-makers.
I totally agree
generalscarr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2015, 08:27 PM   #4905
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3585

Quote:
Originally Posted by wespje1990 View Post
Can anybody explain why exactly the design has changed?
James Murdoch taking control of News Corp had a lot to do with it. He wanted to make his mark early and the easiest way to do so was to redesign the company's new headquarters in his own image (i.e. a graceless blockhead)

Godzilla Ranger NYC liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2015, 10:45 PM   #4906
Blemardud7

Likes (Received): 0

yeah but I thought it was safe from a redesign because the base for fosters 2 WTC was already built.
Blemardud7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2015, 10:50 PM   #4907
WR HEARST
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
James Murdoch taking control of News Corp had a lot to do with it. He wanted to make his mark early and the easiest way to do so was to redesign the company's new headquarters in his own image (i.e. a graceless blockhead)

Wow!..instead of insulting a successful and brilliant entrepreneur you should try to open your mind and wonder WHY Bjarke Ingels is becoming such a sought after "starchitect".
And by the way,I would like you to reevaluate honestly Foster's design and to tell us what was so gracious in his design.
I am a bit surprised as i read you pretty often as one of my favorite forumers!
WR HEARST no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2015, 11:13 PM   #4908
iiConTr0v3rSYx
Brooklyn Boy

Likes (Received): 2913

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blemardud7 View Post
yeah but I thought it was safe from a redesign because the base for fosters 2 WTC was already built.
Complicated, but they found a way.

I believe I read that much is being hidden behind here?

Check this guy out for Monthly updates on the WTC.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc3yuNST1YhPioYxJtqJWtQ
iiConTr0v3rSYx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2015, 02:44 AM   #4909
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

What's that nonsense scribbled across the concrete?
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2015, 03:17 AM   #4910
felipemurcia

Likes (Received): 54

This building looks like the Bd Bacata. The new tallest building in Bogotá Colombia. Will the 2 wtc be built?
felipemurcia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2015, 06:17 AM   #4911
AnOldBlackMarble
read lightship chronicles

Likes (Received): 5755

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Follow. Obey. Be docile. Do not think. Do not protest. Keep in bounds. Follow the line. Obedience is paramount. Questions are foolish. Bow to authority. Keep quiet and shop. Buy things. Things make you happy. Happiness is obedience. Follow. Obey. Be docile. Do not think. Do not protest. Keep in bounds. Follow the line. Obedience is paramount. Questions are foolish. Bow to authority. Keep quiet and shop. Buy things. Things make you happy. Happiness is obedience. Follow. Obey. Be docile. Do not think. Do not protest. Keep in bounds. Follow the line. Obedience is paramount. Questions are foolish. Bow to authority. Keep quiet and shop. Buy things. Things make you happy. Happiness is obedience. Follow. Obey. Be docile. Do not think. Do not protest. Keep in bounds. Follow the line. Obedience is paramount. Questions are foolish. Bow to authority. Keep quiet and shop. Buy things. Things make you happy. Happiness is obedience. Follow. Obey. Be docile. Do not think. Do not protest. Keep in bounds. Follow the line. Obedience is paramount. Questions are foolish. Bow to authority. Keep quiet and shop. Buy things. Things make you happy. Happiness is obedience. Follow. Obey. Be docile. Do not think. Do not protest. Keep in bounds. Follow the line. Obedience is paramount. Questions are foolish. Bow to authority. Keep quiet and shop. Buy things. Things make you happy. Happiness is obedience.
Old July 26th, 2015, 06:54 AM   #4912
royal rose1

Likes (Received): 257

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalscarr View Post
I totally agree
I totally agree as well. I showed this to my family and friends, all of whom live in manhattan and they were elated by this design. This design appeals to the average New Yorker, it's simple from afar and complex, shiny, and intriguing from up close. Foster's design was a building that put form ahead of function paying almost no care as to the internal environment, while Ingels' design is the opposite in my opinion, and perhaps cares too much about internal environment. That's ingels though, a people pleaser, trying to make sure the inhabitants, the general public, and architecture enthusiasts are all pleased.
royal rose1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2015, 08:47 AM   #4913
generalscarr

Likes (Received): 425

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
It says: 'Haters can piss and moan, it won't change a thing. This tower is getting built. Get a life' - in Danish.
Very thoughtful.
generalscarr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2015, 11:12 AM   #4914
Godzilla Ranger NYC
LOL

Likes (Received): 27

This building really isn't that bad.

It's just the location, the design it's replacing, and why it's being replace that ticks me off.

spectre000, GunnerJacket liked this post
Godzilla Ranger NYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2015, 02:58 PM   #4915
DubaiM

Likes (Received): 4512

I can't get used to he new design... I really wonder how Bjarke can design a tower, where boxes are stacked crooked on top of each other at a symbolic place of strength and both oblivion and remembrance.
The towers are a very important part of showing the new strength of the USA after the tragedy and now Bjarke Ingels designs a tower, that looks like it is collapsing every moment! Suboptimal for this place.
How can an architect overlook such an important aspect??

AlexDemens, Gerard91 liked this post

Last edited by DubaiM; July 26th, 2015 at 03:50 PM.
DubaiM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2015, 04:14 PM   #4916
WR HEARST
BANNED

Ingels doesn't overlook anything:the problem comes from you and the way you read the design I think.On the west side(wtc side)the building has a flat surface and a quiet strong looking presence.It's a tower in motion with a huge citadel like base that guarantee visually there is no way it collapses.There are many ideas and symbols in that baby's design:unity,resilience,gathering,religiosity...
What's the main message?:The tower(the United States)may vacillates,it is not gonna fall!
Also,Ingels owes a lot to F Gehry,our most authentic genius:the flat west side is inspired by NY by Gehry and the stacked crooked boxes by the same Gehry's design for the Center for the performing art.
Dubai architectural mess and Zaha Hadid recent work/garbage may prevent you to fully appreciate subtle designs(as it seems that you like both of them)
..Everything said in all due respect!

Last edited by WR HEARST; July 26th, 2015 at 04:43 PM.
WR HEARST no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2015, 07:15 PM   #4917
hateman

Likes (Received): 1797

I really like xing lin's design tweak on the previous page. What really ruins the north view is the stacked boxes create a monotonous facade that undercuts the verticality of the tower.
We are seeking to follow the type of architecture which is good in the sense that it does not of necessity follow the whims of the moment but seeks an artistry that ought to be good, as far as we can tell, for all time to come. -FDR

We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us. -Winston Churchill
hateman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2015, 07:35 PM   #4918
Mcully56964

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
I can tolerate this building from most angles, but this is the angle that I just can't get over. It's absolutely awful.
I think it would look better if the top block was the same height as the others, but its still one of my favorite views of the tower
Mcully56964 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2015, 08:16 PM   #4919
JMGA196

Likes (Received): 5140

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiM View Post

Would be better if it looked like this...

Mimar Sinan - Sebastian Treese - Sejima - Nishizawa - Pawson - Horia Creangă - McKim, Mead & White - Gord Scott - Peter Pennoyer - Charles Hilton - Annabelle Selldorf - Roman and Williams - Morris Adjmi - Diller Scofidio + Renfro

★★★ MAKE ARCHITECTURE GREAT AGAIN! ★★★

ledhead, Hudson11 liked this post
JMGA196 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2015, 09:21 PM   #4920
AnOldBlackMarble
read lightship chronicles

Likes (Received): 5755

Quote:
Originally Posted by WR HEARST View Post
Ingels doesn't overlook anything:the problem comes from you and the way you read the design I think.On the west side(wtc side)the building has a flat surface and a quiet strong looking presence.It's a tower in motion with a huge citadel like base that guarantee visually there is no way it collapses.There are many ideas and symbols in that baby's design:unity,resilience,gathering,religiosity...
What's the main message?:The tower(the United States)may vacillates,it is not gonna fall!
Also,Ingels owes a lot to F Gehry,our most authentic genius:the flat west side is inspired by NY by Gehry and the stacked crooked boxes by the same Gehry's design for the Center for the performing art.
Dubai architectural mess and Zaha Hadid recent work/garbage may prevent you to fully appreciate subtle designs(as it seems that you like both of them)
..Everything said in all due respect!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcully56964 View Post
I think it would look better if the top block was the same height as the others, but its still one of my favorite views of the tower
It's interesting how the only people praising this design are people who have never posted in this architecture forum before. Hmmm... Anyone know how many people work in Ingel's firm? Looks like they're busy on here these days.

Tags
200 greenwich st., 2wtc, foster and partners, lower manhattan, new york, nyc, silverstein, supertall, world trade center