daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 28th, 2015, 05:25 PM   #4941
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
I'm gone for two months and what the hell did they do to 2WTC?? Why wasn't I here to prevent this??
So it's YOUR fault!

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rose1 View Post
I totally agree as well. I showed this to my family and friends, all of whom live in manhattan and they were elated by this design. This design appeals to the average New Yorker, it's simple from afar and complex, shiny, and intriguing from up close.
"Shiny?" Not exactly an attribute I look for in a building but, hey, whatever. I'd be curious as to their reasoning behind the suggestion of the building being complex and intriguing up close, however, as those aren't traits I would assign this concept.
Quote:
Foster's design was a building that put form ahead of function paying almost no care as to the internal environment, while Ingels' design is the opposite in my opinion, and perhaps cares too much about internal environment.
How exactly do you know so much about the interior functionality of the two buildings to imply the Foster design gave "almost no care" to the matter? Serious question.
Quote:
That's ingels though, a people pleaser, trying to make sure the inhabitants, the general public, and architecture enthusiasts are all pleased.
An odd assertion since he considers himself an avant garde artist out to challenge conventions. If anything I was disappointed that this being a BIG design it doesn't seem near as dynamic as some of their other projects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WR HEARST View Post
On the west side(wtc side)the building has a flat surface and a quiet strong looking presence.It's a tower in motion with a huge citadel like base that guarantee visually there is no way it collapses. There are many ideas and symbols in that baby's design:unity,resilience,gathering,religiosity...
What's the main message?:The tower(the United States)may vacillates,it is not gonna fall!
I'll respectfully disagree. That the base is both of the same glass curtain form and narrower than some upper portions of the building, the same elements that you're probably implying give the building a "tower in motion" effect, belie any concept of stability. It appears a solid form that's been chipped at to the point of near collapse. Had the base included more of a masonry exterior perhaps I'd buy your theory, but as it is I can't see both. If it's a dynamic form then it can't also exude fortitude. Not to me like this, anyway.

Gathering? Religiosity? I would appreciate hearing more about how you see that in this structure.

Quote:
the flat west side is inspired by NY by Gehry...
There's far more precedent to this than Gehry, but the bigger issue is the contrast this presents to the meaning of the site versus the other structures. Whereas Foster's was to serve as a bridge between the others in accentuating the human scale at the plaza, BIG is presenting a fractured monolith that bottles up the corner, IMO competing with 1 and 3 for attention but in a rather brutish manner. I will say, though, I'm pleased that the electronic ticker-tape newsreels will at least be opposite the main plaza, as it would've been a very brash and gauche move by Fox to force that onto the memorial site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanes11 View Post
The opposite is true. There has been widespread acclaim for the tower from architectural critics and the public. It's a significant improvement over the derivative Foster design.
Acceptance and approval from the other architects paid by the same developer doesn't constitute acclaim. I'm not saying this design has been rigorously derided or that Foster's was widely lauded, but let's not pretend BIG's concept is the second coming, architecturally speaking. It's hardly making the rounds as a globally celebrated structure.

Titan Man, 57th&1st liked this post
GunnerJacket no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 28th, 2015, 10:30 PM   #4942
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

Likes (Received): 2103

I am 100% out of the loop of this and skyscrapers in general, but could a twin be on the horizon?

The skyline seems "meh" with just 1 WTC.
Buffaboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2015, 12:13 AM   #4943
Chapelo

Likes (Received): 686

I like it. I was iffy about it at first, but it's honestly grown on me.

Problem?
Chapelo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2015, 07:06 PM   #4944
Mcully56964

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapelo View Post
I like it. I was iffy about it at first, but it's honestly grown on me.

Problem?
Me too as well and in my opinion its one of the more exciting additions to the wtc site still not as great as the first design but I will always like it better than the failure of a tower 1wtc
Mcully56964 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2015, 08:52 PM   #4945
weidncol
WTC Enthusiast/Researcher

Likes (Received): 4623

Tower 1 is nowhere near a "failure".
Old July 30th, 2015, 09:18 PM   #4946
iiConTr0v3rSYx
Brooklyn Boy

Likes (Received): 2918

A better word to use is disappointed, which is understandable when you look at earlier renderings.

Nothing on the site is a 'failure'.

Check this guy out for Monthly updates on the WTC.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc3yuNST1YhPioYxJtqJWtQ
iiConTr0v3rSYx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2015, 09:32 PM   #4947
Mcully56964

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiConTr0v3rSYx View Post
A better word to use is disappointed, which is understandable when you look at earlier renderings.

Nothing on the site is a 'failure'.
I apologize for my use of words
Mcully56964 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2015, 09:52 PM   #4948
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2613

In my dream skyline I like to take the new World Trade Center, original designs of 2 and 3, and replace 1WTC with the Shanghai World Financial Center. Never been a 1WTC fan. Thhugh I don't mind it. 3WTC is good even after being castrated/value engineered, 4WTC is rock solid, but this 2WTC revision I simply cannot and won't get used to.

steve1young liked this post
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2015, 02:17 AM   #4949
Brooklyn Rising

Likes (Received): 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
In my dream skyline I like to take the new World Trade Center, original designs of 2 and 3, and replace 1WTC with the Shanghai World Financial Center. Never been a 1WTC fan. Thhugh I don't mind it. 3WTC is good even after being castrated/value engineered, 4WTC is rock solid, but this 2WTC revision I simply cannot and won't get used to.
Castrated?? It got a roof height bump to 1170' I prefer that over the spires because it'll have more presence.
Brooklyn Rising no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2015, 02:58 AM   #4950
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22528

3 wtc was originally 1155' to its parapet. 1270' to its pinnacle. It's like a step forward after two steps backward.

Then again, this is apparently the thread for 2 WTC... so i'll save further comments on the matter for its appropriate place.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2015, 09:48 PM   #4951
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4604

I walked out of my office downtown about 30 minutes ago and guess who was on the corner with his fancy bike talking to someone? Bjarke Ingels! I can't tell you guys how much I wanted to say to him "2WTC sucks!"
Old July 31st, 2015, 10:22 PM   #4952
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostface79 View Post
I can't tell you guys how much I wanted to say to him "2WTC sucks!"
Sure you can!
Old August 1st, 2015, 03:27 AM   #4953
onewtclover

Likes (Received): 1028

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostface79 View Post
I walked out of my office downtown about 30 minutes ago and guess who was on the corner with his fancy bike talking to someone? Bjarke Ingels! I can't tell you guys how much I wanted to say to him "2WTC sucks!"
Well first I would ask him for an autograph, ask him to draw 2WTC and afterwards rip the piece of paper in front of his face and THEN be like "2WTC sucks!"

Prince Valium liked this post
onewtclover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2015, 08:45 PM   #4954
АмУх

Likes (Received): 670

before

and after

Kind of terrible Pisa Tower
Old August 1st, 2015, 09:56 PM   #4955
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 415

Please stop reposting this insult on every page

Dubai Skyscraper, DubaiM liked this post
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2015, 12:31 AM   #4956
WR HEARST
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by webeagle12 View Post
Please stop reposting this insult on every page

Wow!...your posts are quiet often pretty rude!..
Do you know the word RESPECT?...please,try to have some for the forumers who do appreciate that design(yes,there are some!)
WR HEARST no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2015, 01:22 AM   #4957
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Wow!...your posts are quiet often pretty rude!..
Do you know the word RESPECT?...please,try to have some for the forumers who do appreciate that design(yes,there are some!)
Welcome to internet. May I recommend Sarcasm 101 class?
Old August 2nd, 2015, 12:47 PM   #4958
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 719

Quote:
yeah!...and you know what little kid!?I'm gonna have another drink to celebrate my happiness :what I love is gonna get built also,you know,who care about your cheap jokes??
Just one advice:stuck one your play station,your Barbie doll or whatever because I guess architecture is not your thing.
Actually, you're the one who is being disrespectful now. You have your opinion and he has his opinion. That doesn't mean that one of you don't know shit about architecture. It is actually just a matter of taste. No need to bash each other just because someone likes something that you don't.

The thing is that no one has given us the reason why they love the new design. I obviosly LOVE Foster's design and I just can't stand the new one. So I'm asking you politely, would you be kind and tell us the pros of the new design and why you like it that much? I am just interested since I can't find anything good about it, but that's why we have this forum, to share our opinion and to see opinion of other people.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2015, 04:07 PM   #4959
Davidsam52

Likes (Received): 160

The way I see it, the only way Foster's design will get built is if some other prospective tenant comes along now and has a sweeter deal for Larry than FOX and says that they want the original tower. So.....is there anybody out there who would like to anchor a 2.5 million square foot skyscraper?
Old August 3rd, 2015, 02:21 AM   #4960
Emil1603

Likes (Received): 13

When the construction will finally start?
Emil1603 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
200 greenwich st., 2wtc, foster and partners, lower manhattan, new york, nyc, silverstein, supertall, world trade center