daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 8th, 2015, 07:14 PM   #4981
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
Part of the reason is below, per Curbed. And 1 WTC cost $3B and change if i remember correctly, 3 WTC is expected to cost around $2B, add in the below, the additional height and square footage, not outrageous.

"There is a giant ventilation system on the property that can not be moved and it must remain operational. It circulates air for the transit hub and underground stairwells, and 2 World Trade Center needs to be constructed around it. Bjarke Ingels, the new architect for the tower, told Capital, "I think you probably couldn't find a more difficult place in the world to build a 1,300-foot tower."

"Construction crews will have to assemble the first three floors without disturbing the equipment. Then they must "duplicate" all of it; that is to say, they will build a replica of the machinery inside the tower. New air pipes will be snaked up the building. Then, somehow, the systems will be switched over without severely disrupting PATH train service or the underground retail shops.

"The machinery has to keep running to keep the hub alive," Ingels said. "Duplicate the machinery, switch it on, and then we can start clearing the ground floor for our purposes. So, baked into the site is already a few additional challenges, above and beyond the programmatic and sort of gravity requirements..."
Once again we see a great example of poor planning and execution during the design process of the entire complex! Why in the world would such a major operational feature of the transport system being installed where would have to be moved in the future? If it's that critical to the operation of the complex it should have had its own structure like the one for the museum complex! Even in the long term once it is relocated it's going to create many issues regarding responsibilities of maintenance etc. since the equipment will be installed in a structure owned by a private entity instead of the Transportation Authority.

Sponsored Links
Old August 8th, 2015, 08:28 PM   #4982
weidncol
WTC Enthusiast/Researcher

Likes (Received): 4623

Where the hell else would all that mechanical stuff go? There's not enough room elsewhere.

WR HEARST, yankeesfan1000 liked this post
weidncol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2015, 09:18 PM   #4983
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 719

Quote:
Originally Posted by WR HEARST View Post
...in Dubai,a construction worker get paid monthly what his NY's colleague makes daily...we live in a civilized country and New York is the leading city of the world;I guess it has a price!..Moreover,as i know,it's a private development and imo 4 billions is little money for such an amazing tower!
I feel very pride that beautiful New York can attract so many visionary developers who trustfully invest in the city.Why do you think Chinese invest billions of dollars there??..
Chinese may invest billions of dollars in New York, but some Chinese cities that we haven't even heard of are attracting TENS of billions of dollars. I mean, a city that is economically important to China as New Orleans is to USA is building a 150 stories tall tower, and here we have the capital of the world that's building stacked boxes. And it is on the most important place in the whole city. So, I don't think that 4 billion dollars is not much for this tower, because it is. You can get even two amazing buildings for that money, and not this piece of sh*t.

AlexDemens liked this post
Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2015, 09:21 PM   #4984
baseball1992

Likes (Received): 262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan Man View Post
Chinese may invest billions of dollars in New York, but some Chinese cities that we haven't even heard of are attracting TENS of billions of dollars. I mean, a city that is economically important to China as New Orleans is to USA is building a 150 stories tall tower, and here we have the capital of the world that's building stacked boxes. And it is on the most important place in the whole city. So, I don't think that 4 billion dollars is not much for this tower, because it is. You can get even two amazing buildings for that money, and not this piece of sh*t.
10s of billions is chump change compared to the GDP of NYC.
baseball1992 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2015, 09:31 PM   #4985
Pringles

Likes (Received): 391

This could have been one of my favourite skyscrapers, instead, we are getting a steamping pile of dogshit.

What an incredible letdown...
Pringles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2015, 09:36 PM   #4986
WR HEARST
BANNED

....I can feel Weidncol's angriness...and I understand!..
This thread and more generally everything related to the World Trade Center is all about complains,frustrations,criticisms,hate(!)..
Please,never forget this site is also a cemetery; lets try to celebrate the remembrance of all the lives we lost with dignity.
The Port Authority task wasn't easy(think about it!)and I humbly think we have 16 acres of beauty,class and serenity.;also,maybe it's about time to enjoy and celebrate!...
WR HEARST no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2015, 10:07 PM   #4987
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 719

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball1992 View Post
10s of billions is chump change compared to the GDP of NYC.
That is true, but when you see how many awesome contemporary projects they are receiving at the same time...
Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2015, 10:14 PM   #4988
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidsam52 View Post
Maybe 2 shouldn't get built at all. Maybe it should just remain a small Machinery stump and transit hall entrance. This is beginning to seem like a better idea than to build a hideously expensive (and by many opinions, hideously designed) office tower.
NY needs the office space, hence News Corp signing a letter of intent.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
yankeesfan1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2015, 03:10 AM   #4989
WSB

Likes (Received): 43

Five Views of 2 World Trade Center

http://www.nytimes.com/newsgraphics/...-trade-center/

WSB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2015, 05:28 AM   #4990
iiConTr0v3rSYx
Brooklyn Boy

Likes (Received): 2918

Quote:
Originally Posted by WR HEARST View Post
....I can feel Weidncol's angriness...and I understand!..
This thread and more generally everything related to the World Trade Center is all about complains,frustrations,criticisms,hate(!)..
Please,never forget this site is also a cemetery; lets try to celebrate the remembrance of all the lives we lost with dignity.
The Port Authority task wasn't easy(think about it!)and I humbly think we have 16 acres of beauty,class and serenity.;also,maybe it's about time to enjoy and celebrate!...
Robert, You have two, giant pools and a memorial to weep over. The office towers have nothing to do with that. And this is a public forum, where anyone can come and voice their opinion.

Now, we can all go over to SSP and read your Age of Rames non-sense and read all the delusional BS you speak of with the multiple accounts you have.

Check this guy out for Monthly updates on the WTC.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc3yuNST1YhPioYxJtqJWtQ

iiConTr0v3rSYx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2015, 05:40 AM   #4991
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 415

..And I rest my case. Looks like crap

webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2015, 01:04 PM   #4992
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Likes (Received): 28999

I would not mind this new design if it was NOT located within the World trade center masterplan! It looks so out of place it is ridiculous! That and getting rid of one of the best designs for a tower ever!
Old August 9th, 2015, 04:08 PM   #4993
ivn98

Likes (Received): 1351

It will be so much better with twin of 1WTC...

ChuckScraperMiami#1, JOHaarup liked this post
ivn98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2015, 06:56 PM   #4994
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidncol View Post
Where the hell else would all that mechanical stuff go? There's not enough room elsewhere.
There are several other possibilities for places equipment could've gone. The most obvious would have been build a separate structure like one of the ones above the museum area where this equipment could've been housed. The other choice would have been to actually elevate equipment enough when they located it here so that it wouldn't have to be relocated again when the construction of Tower 2 started. They could've also located the equipment underground and just had intake stacks above ground. Many options it would've been better than what they did!

Msradell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2015, 08:14 PM   #4995
WR HEARST
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiConTr0v3rSYx View Post
Robert, You have two, giant pools and a memorial to weep over. The office towers have nothing to do with that. And this is a public forum, where anyone can come and voice their opinion.

Now, we can all go over to SSP and read your Age of Rames non-sense and read all the delusional BS you speak of with the multiple accounts you have.
Roberta(aka iiConTrOv3rSYx),your mind is like your name:crafty.
Do not let your imagination wander into childish theories and try to get some affection and a life as your team-mates did(Skyscrapercity seems to be your playground)
Moreover,don't be so rude and let me decide where i want to weep if so.
Originery there was a master plan on a 16 acres site and your beloved Foster's tower itself,as i know,was designed with some connections with the memorial.Also,definitely,YES imo the all center is magnificent!
YES imo Ingels design is a great piece of cutting edge architecture!
YES imo it is not worthy whimpering,complaining and criticizing a priori everything occuring on the site!Nobody told you you would frolic blissful and naked in the garden of Eden!
...I know..when you were a kid you attended some "Spiderman" shots on site and since you have the soul of a vigilante!Well,i guess it is part of our american culture!
Nevermind!just give me a break and find another cause:i do swear on the Bible i have nothing to do with "Robert".
...I do hope i am done with you!
WR HEARST no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2015, 07:10 AM   #4996
tumbleweed_tx

Likes (Received): 35

here in Houston, they release a spectacular rendering of something, then end up building some vanilla..... box

so, maybe this time, the ugly assed stacked boxes are just a placeholder for something that would be halfway decent.

we can hope, right...
tumbleweed_tx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2015, 05:04 PM   #4997
(:

Likes (Received): 229

Well you see, they had originally released something spectacular with Foster's design. Years later they released another design that at first sight looks like an ordinary "vanilla box" but after looking twice it turned out to be so much worse than that.

Titan Man, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
(: no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2015, 06:21 PM   #4998
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

I couldn't get this to work for me. Saw the first graphic and then... white! What'd I miss?

GunnerJacket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2015, 01:49 AM   #4999
mudvayneimn
Evry City Nds a Blk Box!

Likes (Received): 17

^Just various degrees of shitty. I will admit, there are a couple views where this tower doesn't look atrocious in (Brooklyn & Hoboken). Everywhere else it appears either clunky or too close to 1WTC's height; with the original height modifications made to 3WTC, this new design seems to split the complex's towers into two different groups from many angles. The severe "slice" in Foster's tower helped manage that disparity. I realize many people like the height fact because of the Twins but the angles that really showcase the verticality also tend to be the ones that accentuate the gap between 1 & 2 WTC.

http://www.nytimes.com/newsgraphics/...-trade-center/

Last edited by mudvayneimn; August 12th, 2015 at 02:24 AM.
mudvayneimn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2015, 03:09 AM   #5000
iiConTr0v3rSYx
Brooklyn Boy

Likes (Received): 2918

1 WTC being so separated from the other towers seem noticeable now.

Check this guy out for Monthly updates on the WTC.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc3yuNST1YhPioYxJtqJWtQ
iiConTr0v3rSYx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
200 greenwich st., 2wtc, foster and partners, lower manhattan, new york, nyc, silverstein, supertall, world trade center