daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 3rd, 2015, 01:46 AM   #5241
tanzirian

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim1807 View Post
If BIG made this design for another tower (e.g. in Hudson Yards), I may have liked it somewhat better. But for me it's just the 'collaboration' Fosters design had with 1WTC and 3WTC, and this one doesn't.
Agreed, there was a sense of cohesion about the three buildings, even though they were stylistically different.

The new design is interesting from an architectural standpoint but certainly not what I would call "attractive" (it recalls for me a slug coming out from the soil). The old design was both interesting and attractive. NY is making a habit of rejecting some great Foster proposals.

Doubleu1117 liked this post

Last edited by tanzirian; December 3rd, 2015 at 02:07 AM.
tanzirian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 3rd, 2015, 09:22 PM   #5242
generalscarr

Likes (Received): 425

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDee View Post
The crazy mess of a building is obviously not going to be a future classic or bring about more like it, but an experimentation in innovation and progressiveness is due for NYC!. The problem is the building's ass. Yes, that's right, it's rear end. That hopelessly dull flat backside of the tower. The suit and tie backside and the hip futuristic front side, are incompatible as a whole and the whole thing begins to look like a pastiche that is designed to offend fewer people. If you're going to do a building, do it right. No two-faced cowardly buildings please, they always end up being mistakes. This is why the Foster design would have been the right choice here at this site. It was a more balanced honest tower that showed it's most interesting side to the WTC site, where most people will be looking at it from. It was not trying to be gimmicky on one side and sober and sombre on the other, which this tower obviously is doing. A compromise that may well land this tower in the folly category/ missed opportunity for decades to come. Let's hope that the ever so open minded NY'er learns to love Bjork's whimsical creation just as they learnt to love the domineering and post-apocalyptic TWINS!
Did I mention that I love armchair architecture critics? Love 'em!
I also thinking about taking cooking lessons (in French cuisine) by people who only ever made ramen and microwave popcorn. It just makes sense to hear what they have to say about it...
generalscarr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2015, 09:47 PM   #5243
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2617

Considering tens of millions probably have to look at this building on a regular basis, and maybe 0.1% of those (at most) studied architecture, I think the opinion of the 99.9% does matter.

Do you think I ask someone who studied medicine whether I should vomit when I have gastroenteritis?

Msradell, DeaconG liked this post
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2015, 11:47 PM   #5244
chazmania

Likes (Received): 31

Fosters design is for a bank/financial institution. No bank/financial entity wants to be in the WTC complex. The media clients are different and will force their will on what will be built.
If Fosters design was that great why is it the last to be (not) built? You don't have to think too hard to realize nobody wanted it. Personally the Fosters building is Meh.
chazmania no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2015, 02:06 AM   #5245
voyager8907

Likes (Received): 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazmania View Post
If Fosters design was that great why is it the last to be (not) built?
You just answered your own question in the previous sentences. It was designed for banks and they couldn't find any banking tenants.
voyager8907 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2015, 07:16 AM   #5246
ThomasK2001

Likes (Received): 652

Yellow Hammerhead Crane coming down Monday December 7th
ThomasK2001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2015, 11:07 PM   #5247
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasK2001 View Post
Yellow Hammerhead Crane coming down Monday December 7th
And?
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2015, 12:14 AM   #5248
iiConTr0v3rSYx
Brooklyn Boy

Likes (Received): 2922

Probably meant to post it in the Trans-Hub forum.

Check this guy out for Monthly updates on the WTC.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc3yuNST1YhPioYxJtqJWtQ
iiConTr0v3rSYx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2015, 07:41 AM   #5249
ThomasK2001

Well, it is served for the Transportation Hub, but it's on 2 World Trade Center's site, so I thought I'd just share it!
Old December 5th, 2015, 07:44 AM   #5250
Abidrovia

Likes (Received): 168

I like 2 WTC...I just wish that they can build it a notch taller so it can match 1 WTC's height
Abidrovia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2015, 07:21 PM   #5251
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazmania View Post
Fosters design is for a bank/financial institution. No bank/financial entity wants to be in the WTC complex. The media clients are different and will force their will on what will be built.
If Fosters design was that great why is it the last to be (not) built? You don't have to think too hard to realize nobody wanted it. Personally the Fosters building is Meh.
There are probably several reasons it was the last to be built. The 1st and foremost is that it was the most expensive one of the group, outside of 1WTC, so financing was harder to get. The other major reason which is already the mention was that it was designed for a financial institution because of the large trading floors. It still seems to me that that design could've easily been converted to the needs of a media company without throwing it away totally. I feel the complete change in design was not because of usability but because of hardheaded management (a.k.a. Murdoch) at the media company in question.
Old December 6th, 2015, 10:09 AM   #5252
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8235

The new design seems to be a lot about effiecient floor spaces. It's basically just boxes on top of each other, so with that shape not much space is lost in corners etc. It's also much bigger at the bottom than on top, so that should make it also easier and cheaper to build. If I was an investor and didn't care about design, BIG seems to be the first choice for only economical reasons.
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2015, 03:15 PM   #5253
Lt. H Caine

Likes (Received): 4664

I read that this tower will cost $4 billion to build which is even more than 1WTC costed, and will also be the most complicated to build because 2WTC needs to be constructed around a ventilation system for the Transportation Hub that cannot be moved.
Lt. H Caine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2015, 06:06 PM   #5254
NYStruct

Likes (Received): 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. H Caine View Post
I read that this tower will cost $4 billion to build which is even more than 1WTC costed, and will also be the most complicated to build because 2WTC needs to be constructed around a ventilation system for the Transportation Hub that cannot be moved.
Not sure about $4 billion, but moving the mechanical equipment and retrofitting the foundations for the new structural scheme corresponding to BIG proposal will be a nightmare and will have a hefty price tag for sure.
NYStruct no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2015, 06:27 PM   #5255
ThomasK2001

They are now getting ready to prep the site for construction, they cleaned the north corner by the new walkway that opened in June! It is confirmed that 2 World Trade Center starts next month!!!
Old December 7th, 2015, 06:48 PM   #5256
iiConTr0v3rSYx
Brooklyn Boy

Likes (Received): 2922

And the crowd went mild......

Gonna be awhile before actual construction starts.

Check this guy out for Monthly updates on the WTC.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc3yuNST1YhPioYxJtqJWtQ
iiConTr0v3rSYx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2015, 07:03 PM   #5257
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Where did you
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasK2001 View Post
They are now getting ready to prep the site for construction, they cleaned the north corner by the new walkway that opened in June! It is confirmed that 2 World Trade Center starts next month!!!
Where did you see the confirmation that construction of 2 WTC starts next month? There hasn't been any announcement about a lease finally being signed.
Old December 7th, 2015, 07:21 PM   #5258
uakoops
Sidewalk Superintendent

Likes (Received): 396

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiConTr0v3rSYx View Post
And the crowd went mild......

Gonna be awhile before actual construction starts.
was that a typo or was it deliberate?
uakoops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2015, 07:23 PM   #5259
Antagon

Likes (Received): 249

I only just now found out about the new design. I think it's simply awful. As much as I've complained about 432 Park Avenue being plain and uninspired, I view that building as a beauty compared to this. And News Corp being its main tenant is just the icing on the cake. Jarring
Antagon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2015, 07:41 PM   #5260
chazmania

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
It still seems to me that that design could've easily been converted to the needs of a media company without throwing it away totally.
You convert old or completed buildings not ones in the design phase. It makes no sense when you have a clean sheet of paper. I would not compromise on requirements.
chazmania no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
200 greenwich st., 2wtc, foster and partners, lower manhattan, new york, nyc, silverstein, supertall, world trade center