daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 2nd, 2016, 07:14 PM   #5381
CityGuy87

Likes (Received): 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Undershaft View Post
I also hope that it becomes known as the Leaning Tower of Wall Street.

Hedge funds, PE and VC firms, etc. Clearly will occupy the top space and they will peer over structures that it leans over.

Personally, I just hope it never gets called that. It's not even on Wall Street. Referring to it as 2 WTC or Fox/News Corp Tower would be much better. Although the design has grown on me and all, they should not emphasize a leaning tower at the WTC of all places. This is the last place in the city that you'd want to think of tower that looks like it could topple at any moment. I get that this is BIG's first supertall tower, but they should've embraced that fact instead of trying to tip-toe around it with the whole "vertical village" mantra. Personally, I think a cantilevering tower is not really that appropriate for the WTC site and the BIG design for 2 WTC would be a big improvement if they eschewed them and kept the rest of their design intact. Essentially, it would look like a bulkier version of 111 w57th street.

Maybe the renders won't do this tower justice and it may turn out even better in real life but that remains to be seen...
CityGuy87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 2nd, 2016, 07:41 PM   #5382
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 719

Quote:
Originally Posted by WR HEARST View Post
...well,Love and Hate go with genius:Gehry,Hadid,Calatrava,Ingels,are either loved or hated...
No way any Foster's design unleashes passions: the guy is a talented craftman but nothing more and i doubt anybody will remember him in fifty years.
WTF!? If there is a good architect that will be remembered for ages, then it's Norman Foster. All of those others "geniuses" (except for Ingels, I actually like some of his works) are nothing more than starchitects incapable of designing buildings that respect the context of the area they are located in, buildings which aren't exactly designed for people, but for feeding architect's own sick ego. Just look at Zaha's stadium in Tokyo, it was scrapped for the sky-rocketting cost it would make for Japan and its people and the building's very own inability to blend well with its surroundings. I won't even mention Gehry's EMP Museum in Seattle, what a montrosity. Calatrava is being sued all over the world for his low-grade built buildings and their cost, which in some cases was even few times bigger than the original projection. Sure, they've made some quite interesting buildings through their careers, but calling THEM geniuses while Norman Foster is "a talented craftman" is the silliest thing I've ever heard of.
Old January 3rd, 2016, 03:26 AM   #5383
Brooklyn Rising

Likes (Received): 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan Man View Post
WTF!? If there is a good architect that will be remembered for ages, then it's Norman Foster. All of those others "geniuses" (except for Ingels, I actually like some of his works) are nothing more than starchitects incapable of designing buildings that respect the context of the area they are located in, buildings which aren't exactly designed for people, but for feeding architect's own sick ego. Just look at Zaha's stadium in Tokyo, it was scrapped for the sky-rocketting cost it would make for Japan and its people and the building's very own inability to blend well with its surroundings. I won't even mention Gehry's EMP Museum in Seattle, what a montrosity. Calatrava is being sued all over the world for his low-grade built buildings and their cost, which in some cases was even few times bigger than the original projection. Sure, they've made some quite interesting buildings through their careers, but calling THEM geniuses while Norman Foster is "a talented craftman" is the silliest thing I've ever heard of.
I agree if anything Foster should be considered the best out of all those architects. Architects like Bjarke Ingels, Renzo Piano, Norman Foster, and Peter Zumthor are the ones that I look up to because to me they design for the world and not their name. If you look at Zaha's structures you can tell immediately it's one of her buildings, and the same with Gehry. Renzo and Zumthor I like particularly cause they design for the client and don't really have a style. They design for the environment around the building which I like. Yes Foster has a bit of a style. but looking at Zaha's work, yeah it looks cool but just basically says screw you to the rest of the area. Bjarke's 2 WTC I actually find interesting once you look at it as more than just a few boxes stacked on top of each other. Actually one thing I've noticed is that from the NE and SW the angle of the building lines up perfectly with 1 WTC's angles.

Titan Man liked this post
Brooklyn Rising no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2016, 05:12 PM   #5384
WR HEARST
BANNED

Quote:

LOL!!..Could you,at least,mention one Foster's design that became a Landmark??The overhaul of the Berlin parliament made him famous but there is nothing groundbreaking nor striking in his work;NOTHING!
He is a great engineer and a talented craftman but nothing more.
Gehry is the Mozart of architecture,a fallen God who remembers heaven and revolutionised his art;if you can't understand that just stuck on your Playstation!
WR HEARST no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2016, 05:13 PM   #5385
victor del rey

Likes (Received): 387

Quote:
LOL!!..Could you,at least,mention one Foster's design that became a Landmark??The overhaul of the Berlin parliament made him famous but there is nothing groundbreaking nor striking in his work;NOTHING!
Gehry is the Mozart of architecture a fallen God who remember heaven and revolutionised his art;if you can't understand that just stuck on your Playstation!
Cepsa tower , Madrid Spain

Titan Man liked this post
victor del rey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2016, 05:37 PM   #5386
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Quote:
Gehry is the Mozart of architecture,a fallen God who remembers heaven and revolutionised his art;if you can't understand that just stuck on your Playstation!
30 St Mary Axe, Wembley Stadium, Hearst Tower, among others. If you don't think those aren't landmarks, then I doubt you have any real knowledge in architecture whatsoever.

Au contraire, Gehry's Bilbao museum made him popular and who he is now, but I don't see any of his new buildings that can repeat that success, maybe only 8 Spruce Street is worthy enough to be called a good building. I see you only think the building's value is in its design which shocks you for a second, and you go on with your life, not remembering it anymore. Well, guess what, it's not! It's also about functionality and the cost of it. Gehry's buildings have proven to be very bad when it comes to that, Bilbao museum, among others. If heaven looks like Gehry's buildings, as you said, then I choose hell. Mentioning Gehry in the same sentence with Mozart should be legally banned, you should do some research before you write such a large amount of nonsense. Now, if you would excuse me, I'm going back to my Nintendo.
Old January 3rd, 2016, 05:54 PM   #5387
WR HEARST
BANNED

Quote:
30 St Mary Axe, Wembley Stadium, Hearst Tower, among others. If you don't think those aren't landmarks, then I doubt you have any real knowledge in architecture whatsoever.

Au contraire, Gehry's Bilbao museum made him popular and who he is now, but I don't see any of his new buildings that can repeat that success, maybe only 8 Spruce Street is worthy enough to be called a good building. I see you only think the building's value is in its design which shocks you for a second, and you go on with your life, not remembering it anymore. Well, guess what, it's not! It's also about functionality and the cost of it. Gehry's buildings have proven to be very bad when it comes to that, Bilbao museum, among others. If heaven looks like Gehry's buildings, as you said, then I choose hell. Mentioning Gehry in the same sentence with Mozart should be legally banned, you should do some research before you write such a large amount of nonsense. Now, if you would excuse me, I'm going back to my Nintendo.
...i guess you are not faulty...what is Zadar??
WR HEARST no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2016, 06:06 PM   #5388
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Zadar is the fifth largest city in Croatia, known for its climate and beautiful architecture, both modern and historical. I hope you actually learned something.

Seriously, are there no moderators on this thread, how can mocking someone's origin be allowed here?!
Old January 3rd, 2016, 06:53 PM   #5389
(:

Likes (Received): 229

It's Lord Norman Foster to you!

This is clearly nothing more than a disagreement in architectural taste. To say one doesn't understand architecture because they don't like a building is absurd. It is when one thinks their architectural taste is superior that they can't understand it! Please stop this, your making fools of yourselfs. All of the aforementioned architects are clearly a success based on their commissions and popularity. This argument is useless.
Old January 4th, 2016, 02:15 AM   #5390
ThomasK2001

Likes (Received): 652

https://youtu.be/CwRiq96M3uU

Here's my video Time-Lapse of the Ventilation System (also known as the coffin) being built on 2 World Trade Center's site, which parts will be dismantled soon for the redesigned building's construction.
ThomasK2001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2016, 02:24 AM   #5391
Tupac96

Likes (Received): 320

Isn't construction going to begin soon?? so why don't we stop talking about this building's design because its not going to change.
Tupac96 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2016, 03:26 AM   #5392
weidncol
WTC Enthusiast/Researcher

Likes (Received): 4623

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasK2001 View Post
https://youtu.be/CwRiq96M3uU

Here's my video Time-Lapse of the Ventilation System (also known as the coffin) being built on 2 World Trade Center's site, which parts will be dismantled soon for the redesigned building's construction.
Actually, none of the current mechanical equipment will be moved until it is all replicated in the permanent mechanical floors of the building.
Old January 4th, 2016, 04:24 AM   #5393
ThomasK2001

Yea, that's what I meant, sorry
Old January 4th, 2016, 04:29 AM   #5394
ThomasK2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupac96 View Post
Isn't construction going to begin soon?? so why don't we stop talking about this building's design because its not going to change.
I got a friend who worksat the World Trade Center as a guard, he tells me tons of stuff about the site, he's keeping me a very big lookout on tower 2, cranes should arrive mid this month! Another thing he said: "Well wtc 2 will be totally fenced in and the vesey walkway might become smaller again.. since tower 2 construction will overpower pedestrian foot traffic.. we still dont know specifics"
Old January 4th, 2016, 04:30 AM   #5395
ThomasK2001

2016 will be filled with World Trade Center milestones, first 2 greatest ones will be 2 WTC U/C in January, the Transportation Hub complete in March, and Liberty Park opening late in the year!
Old January 4th, 2016, 04:39 AM   #5396
Tupac96

Likes (Received): 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasK2001 View Post
2016 will be filled with World Trade Center milestones, first 2 greatest ones will be 2 WTC U/C in January, the Transportation Hub complete in March, and Liberty Park opening late in the year!
Great news bout time lets us know when it does start and maybe throw in some pics!

Brooklyn Rising liked this post
Tupac96 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2016, 05:53 AM   #5397
Brooklyn Rising

Likes (Received): 59

Glad to hear some things might be moving along. Do we know if Fox is definitely going to be the tenant? Or is it still up in the air?
Brooklyn Rising no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2016, 02:11 PM   #5398
ThomasK2001

WR HEARST liked this post
Old January 4th, 2016, 02:13 PM   #5399
ThomasK2001

WR HEARST, Swiddle liked this post
Old January 4th, 2016, 02:14 PM   #5400
ThomasK2001

Tags
200 greenwich st., 2wtc, foster and partners, lower manhattan, new york, nyc, silverstein, supertall, world trade center