daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 15th, 2016, 07:24 PM   #5441
Mr.Blian97

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasK2001 View Post

I'd suggest taking screenshots, you'd end up with a much clearer picture!

danial.z5 liked this post
Mr.Blian97 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2016, 11:09 PM   #5442
Lt. H Caine

Likes (Received): 4664

This was posted on the World Trade Center official Facebook page today...

Statement from Larry A. Silverstein, Chairman, Silverstein Properties Inc.
Quote:
“While I am disappointed that 21st Century Fox and News Corp have elected to hold off on moving their headquarters, I am immensely grateful to the Murdochs and their talented team, as well as to the Bjarke Ingels Group and our partners at the Port Authority, for their inspired work over the past year.
“Make no mistake: it won’t be long before we find a great company to anchor 2 World Trade Center. Lower Manhattan has firmly established itself as the neighborhood of choice for the world’s most dynamic technology, advertising, media, financial and other creative businesses. Downtown’s momentum is palpable and unstoppable – more than 600 firms have moved to Downtown since 2005, leasing over 15 million square feet of space. We at Silverstein Properties remain 100 percent committed to successfully completing this historic rebuilding effort.”
http://www.facebook.com/wtc
Old January 15th, 2016, 11:16 PM   #5443
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Man that's kind of a bummer but I'm glad Silverstein is at least optimistic about it.

I've grown to like this monster and really want to see it built ASAP.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2016, 11:21 PM   #5444
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 719

So is it going to be built or not? This is turning into a real soap opera...
Old January 15th, 2016, 11:33 PM   #5445
ThomasK2001

Likes (Received): 652

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan Man View Post
So is it going to be built or not? This is turning into a real soap opera...
There was speculation for this month
ThomasK2001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2016, 11:52 PM   #5446
NYStruct

Likes (Received): 184

Man, old Larry S. got spectacularly short-changed, bamboozled and f****d (all 3 at the same time) by the Murdoches. They gave him a shiver of hope and then took it away...

He ditched the plans from F+P, hired BIG (at the request of Bjarke's pal Jimmy Murdoch) and did a complete re-design of 2WTC in order to get Fox News as an anchor tenant and now he gets the cold shoulder and has NOTHING to show for his efforts - except a brand new design which will be much more expensive to build and may not attract a lot of future potential tenants...

That's hysterical - I guess the only way it could have been worse would be if the demolition/rework of the foundation had already started...

What if the next anchor tenant requires that they bring back F+P design (or another new design) as a condition to move in? The suspense is killing me...

Joshua Dodd, JMGA196 liked this post
NYStruct no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2016, 11:54 PM   #5447
WillBuild

Likes (Received): 660

2WTC Loses Its Anchor Tenant: News Corp to Stay In Midtown

Quote:
News Corp and 21st Century Fox have officially pulled out of their deal to move to 2 World Trade Center. According to a report in the New York Post, the Rupert Murdoch-owned companies have decided to retain their office space in Midtown
from ny.curbed.com.

AlexDemens, Joshua Dodd, SMCYB liked this post
WillBuild no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2016, 12:02 AM   #5448
NYStruct

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillBuild View Post
It's really like they dangled a carrot in front of poor old Larry S. to get him to move and change the design of 2 WTC and pfuiiiiiii...

After all it's not like anybody should need proof that the Murdoches are pure evil - but they're the only ones who could have pulled such a cruel stunt like that... You almost have to tip your hat to them...
Old January 16th, 2016, 12:09 AM   #5449
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYStruct View Post
It's really like they dangled a carrot in front of poor old Larry S. to get him to move and change the design of 2 WTC and pfuiiiiiii...

After all it's not like anybody should need proof that the Murdoches are pure evil - but they're the only ones who could have pulled such a cruel stunt like that... You almost have to tip your hat to them...
Yea kind of terrible, but hopefully this means the original Foster design can be reconsidered.

It's hard to feel too bad for Silverstein though considering how rich he is, and well, naturally building one of the World's major supertall complexes obviously takes time.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2016, 12:14 AM   #5450
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3588

Oh please for all that is good and holy, let this be the death of the BIG design.

Jay, SMCYB, JMGA196, MKTJ, stop that liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2016, 12:31 AM   #5451
AlexDemens
BANNED

Likes (Received): 357

OMG! it's best news from SSC ever!

Old January 16th, 2016, 12:33 AM   #5452
CityGuy87

Likes (Received): 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Yea kind of terrible, but hopefully this means the original Foster design can be reconsidered.

It's hard to feel too bad for Silverstein though considering how rich he is, and well, naturally building one of the World's major supertall complexes obviously takes time.
Honestly I can understand how bad he wants to get the complex completed. It's been long enough for everyone and this will only prolong the development here. Although by the time 2 WTC is completed for whoever decides to anchor it, everything else in the complex will already have been long finished: 1,3,4,7, the transportation hub, liberty park/greek church and maybe even the performing arts center. At this point Silverstein might not live to see the new WTC completed but hopefully it's ultimately done right.
CityGuy87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2016, 12:37 AM   #5453
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Best news of the days. I'm sorry for Silverstein as I know he's put everything he's got into finishing the site. But I hope this means they'll stick with the original plan.

Lt. H Caine, AlexDemens liked this post
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2016, 12:54 AM   #5454
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4604

Sucks for WTC site that the tower will be on hold longer. But saying I'm relieved is an understatement.
The building had its merits from ground level but other than that, just looking at those last graphs really expose the ugliness of that tower.
Since it will be a pain to modify the base of the tower I would think that Foster's design should be back on the table.

Lt. H Caine, SMCYB, bodegavendetta liked this post
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2016, 01:17 AM   #5455
NYStruct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostface79 View Post
Sucks for WTC site that the tower will be on hold longer. But saying I'm relieved is an understatement.
The building had its merits from ground level but other than that, just looking at those last graphs really expose the ugliness of that tower.
Since it will be a pain to modify the base of the tower I would think that Foster's design should be back on the table.
That would be the logical and sane thing to do. However switching design after the foundations had already been built was already an abysmally stupid decision (and by the way so was starting a redesign based on a non-binding agreement - stupidest decision of 2015...). So I'm not holding my breath...

It even remains to be seen if they could bring F+P back on board to do the construction follow-up since they dumped them rather unceremoniously when they were courting the Murdoches and switched to BIG to get their favors - which was all for naught now...

So the Murdoches may have succeeded in shoving down BIG's design in everybody's throat (while they will not even occupy the building) AND delay the construction of the project by bailing at the last minute (not to mention that BIG's design will be costlier and take longer to build).

Evil, but brilliant... I wonder if they had an ax to grind with Silverstein or if they were just messing with him for fun.
Old January 16th, 2016, 01:22 AM   #5456
ledhead

Likes (Received): 43

Now the real question here is whether they stick with Foster's or BIG's. I see no reason for not going back to the original one, since it's gonna spend some more time on hold and build 2WTC as it was first conceived.
ledhead no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2016, 01:23 AM   #5457
iiConTr0v3rSYx
Brooklyn Boy

Likes (Received): 2922

Can 3 WTC get the spires back now?

Most importantly, can we get Foster's tower back!

What a waste of time all of this has been. Murdoch is an idiot for doing all of this and then dropping out when news that they would sign the lease was imminent.

Check this guy out for Monthly updates on the WTC.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc3yuNST1YhPioYxJtqJWtQ
iiConTr0v3rSYx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2016, 01:25 AM   #5458
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22541

Rogers should bug Silverstein about the spires now that there won't be any need for banal crown coherence.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2016, 01:28 AM   #5459
NYStruct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post

I'm not really sorry for Silverstein as he has got what he deserved for being a weathervane, trying to make a deal with the devil (Murdoch) and losing his soul (2 WTC original design) in the process...
Apparently anybody who could dangle a potential deal in front of Silverstein could probably make him dance to any tune and just bail after being sufficiently entertained...

spectre000, SMCYB, bodegavendetta, Fluxit liked this post
Old January 16th, 2016, 01:36 AM   #5460
NYStruct

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledhead View Post
Now the real question here is whether they stick with Foster's or BIG's. I see no reason for not going back to the original one, since it's gonna spend some more time on hold and build 2WTC as it was first conceived.
First of all I'm not sure if anything will get built as long as an anchor tenant is not signed - I believe that's a condition to unlock some funding from the PA and it was the reason why construction of the original design did not start.

Second, the construction of BIG's design will be more expensive and take more time that the original design as it involves retrofitting the foundations for the new superstructure and building some transfer levels.

However I'm not sure they can go back to F+P. If they could I hope Foster make them beg on their knee to get back in the fold - which I am sure Larry Silverstein will have no problem doing given how he bent over backwards to try to get the deal with the Murdoches. After all it's very easy to be flexible when you don't have a backbone...

Tags
200 greenwich st., 2wtc, foster and partners, lower manhattan, new york, nyc, silverstein, supertall, world trade center