daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 16th, 2016, 12:30 PM   #5481
WR HEARST
BANNED

Wow....Such a bad news!!
..Foster's design looks so outdated now!!!...i'm gonna call it grandpa's tower:looks like something designed in the 90's for Philly's skyline!!

dendenden liked this post
WR HEARST no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 16th, 2016, 12:58 PM   #5482
Architecture lover

Likes (Received): 1284

If Foster's design is outdated, then I don't have the right words to describe the BIG's design. Actually it's quite the opposite, BIG's design looks like something pre 2000, and Foster's design looks like something designed after 2000 (well this is only mine opinion after all). And I can't really understand how some of the members find the design outdated, does this means the design of 1 WTC is also outdated? Just finish the buildings like they were all previously designed so they could complement each other.

Msradell, AlexDemens, Titan Man, ruthen1an liked this post
Architecture lover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2016, 03:49 PM   #5483
FiDiwrkr1

Likes (Received): 8

YESSSSS! I really hope Silverstein goes back to the Foster design!

SMCYB liked this post
FiDiwrkr1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2016, 04:20 PM   #5484
baronson

Likes (Received): 714

Wow, unbelievable news. I have such mixed feelings because I pretty much resigned myself to to BIG's design. But now that Foster's design may be back on the table (now that the percentage of that happening is nonzero), I'm excited but cautiously optimistic. I hope it comes back, and 3 WTC gets its spires. I understand that 1WTC is the king, but it doesn't mean all its friends have to be boring.

Lt. H Caine, SMCYB liked this post
baronson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2016, 04:28 PM   #5485
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1154

For me, the foster design is a MUST to make this complex look like a whole thing and not just random office tower around a memorial. It REALLY is a MUST to restore what was lost on 911 in a way, we can appreciate it and look at it with awe.

SMCYB, baisaroff liked this post
germantower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2016, 06:51 PM   #5486
andrei_kob
Ukraine

Likes (Received): 132

YESSSS!!!!
andrei_kob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2016, 06:57 PM   #5487
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 719

Oh, nooo!! A bunch of stacked boxes located in the heart of NYC just got cancelled! How is the global architecture ever going to recover from this punch!?

Seriously, I hope the Foster's design (totally 90s Philly, IMO ) will be back, but I feel kinda sorry for BIG and Silverstein, Murdoch totally made fools of them. And for BIG, they should design some lower highrises until they get to huge supertalls, you always need to practice on smaller things to be able do to BIG.

SMCYB liked this post
Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2016, 06:58 PM   #5488
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22528

i'm trying not to get my hopes up... but still.

Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2016, 07:58 PM   #5489
WR HEARST
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan Man View Post
Oh, nooo!! A bunch of stacked boxes located in the heart of NYC just got cancelled! How is the global architecture ever going to recover from this punch!?

Seriously, I hope the Foster's design (totally 90s Philly, IMO ) will be back, but I feel kinda sorry for BIG and Silverstein, Murdoch totally made fools of them. And for BIG, they should design some lower highrises until they get to huge supertalls, you always need to practice on smaller things to be able do to BIG.
lol!..You're right!!..also pratice my friend,practice,don't give up!!
Bjarke Ingels imo is ready and has support and admiration from the foremost architects and architecture critics.
However,it's good to already know that the next Golberger is Titan from Zadar...
More seriously,i wonder who paid BIG for his design and how much??...

Last edited by WR HEARST; January 16th, 2016 at 08:07 PM.
Old January 16th, 2016, 08:12 PM   #5490
SMCYB

Likes (Received): 1630

God dammit, that's great news! Get rid of the Freedom Fry and return the best design (by far) of the whole complex.
SMCYB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2016, 08:30 PM   #5491
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Quote:
Originally Posted by WR HEARST View Post
lol!..You're right!!..also pratice my friend,practice,don't give up!!
Bjarke Ingels imo is ready and has support and admiration from the foremost architects and architecture critics.
However,it's good to already know that the next Golberger is Titan from Zadar...
More seriously,i wonder who paid BIG for his design and how much??...
Dunno why you take everything personal, maybe you were molested in your childhood, who knows... Anyway, you don't know who I am, maybe you are actually talking to Goldberger from Zadar, so kneel down.
Anyway, since you're obviously a fan of BIG (I am, as well), you should know that this is one of their first highrise projects and that they'd focused on lowrise buildings until few years ago or so. You can't expect from someone to make such a huge jump in their career, even if it's Bjarke Ingels.

Since I'm tired of your constant trolling, I send greetings to you, Norman Foster of our century, and your hometown, its biggest architectural contribution being the Kardashian house.

stop that liked this post
Old January 16th, 2016, 08:35 PM   #5492
C4creeper
The architect of my world

Likes (Received): 63

Holy sh...These news were anouced on my birthday! Now, please,for the love of sweat baby Jesus, return Foster's design!

Titan Man liked this post
C4creeper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2016, 08:53 PM   #5493
WR HEARST
BANNED

Quote:
Dunno why you take everything personal, maybe you were molested in your childhood, who knows... Anyway, you don't know who I am, maybe you are actually talking to Goldberger from Zadar, so kneel down.
Anyway, since you're obviously a fan of BIG (I am, as well), you should know that this is one of their first highrise projects and that they'd focused on lowrise buildings until few years ago or so. You can't expect from someone to make such a huge jump in their career, even if it's Bjarke Ingels.

Since I'm tired of your constant trolling, I send greetings to you, Norman Foster of our century, and your hometown, its biggest architectural contribution being the Kardashian house.
It's tough to argue with an ignorant who lives in the third world but i wish you to visit one day southern california and it's wonders both architectural and naturals.
I'm done with you.
Old January 16th, 2016, 09:19 PM   #5494
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Quote:
Originally Posted by WR HEARST View Post
It's tough to argue with an ignorant who lives in the third world but i wish you to visit one day southern california and it's wonders both architectural and naturals.
I'm done with you.
Same can be said for you, I feel so sorry for you, forever closed in your own little ignorant bubble, where EU is "the third world", and in which you've never heard of Croatia and its wonders. I'm done with spoiling this thread and irritating other forumers with our fight. Be gone, pest!

Anyway, I am scared that now Silverstein will build a lowrise on the plot, since he wants the whole complex to be built ASAP. It has been mentioned before, in 2009, if you guys remember, when both 2 and 3 WTC were meant to be lowrise buildings. Also, there is competition from Hudson Yards and other projects, which, I believe, are much cheaper than the WTC complex, because of all the structural requirements WTC towers must fulfill. However, if they do find an investor for WTC, I think they will go with Foster's design, which already has its base completed, and it would be much faster and cheaper than finding a new architect, redesigning the base and designing a new tower. BIG tower is probably doomed, since it was specifically designed for Fox. We can expect a quick solution for this problem since everyone is tired of the whole parade that the WTC has become, people just want to see it finished, no matter how it looks.

ReNaHtEiM liked this post

Last edited by Titan Man; January 17th, 2016 at 03:15 PM.
Old January 16th, 2016, 10:20 PM   #5495
CityGuy87

Likes (Received): 98

Quote:
Same can be said for you, I feel so sorry for you, forever closed in your own little ignorant bubble, where EU is "the third world", and in which you've never heard of Croatia and its wonders. I'm done with spoiling this thread and irritating other forumers with our fight. Goodbye.

Anyway, I am scared that now Silverstein will build a lowrise on the plot, since he wants the whole complex to be built ASAP. It has been mentioned before, in 2009, if you guys remember, when both 2 and 3 WTC were meant to be lowrise buildings. Also, there is competition from Hudson Yards and other projects, which, I believe, are much cheaper than the WTC complex, because of all the structural requirements WTC towers must fulfill. However, if they do find an investor for WTC, I think they will go with Foster's design, which already has its base completed, and it would be much faster and cheaper than finding a new architect, redesigning the base and designing a new tower. BIG tower is probably doomed, since it was specifically designed for Fox. We can expect a quick solution for this problem since everyone is tired of the whole parade that the WTC has become, people just want to see it finished, no matter how it looks.
A tower will rise on the site if they ever lock in an anchor tenant. Even if 3 WTC didn't get its anchor tenant (although I'm glad that didn't happen as the building is now rising), it was never gonna be permanently capped at the base.

I definitely believe the BIG design is essentially dead in the water and the odds have definitely shifted towards Foster's favor. I can't see Silverstein moving forward with BIG's design, at least not in its current form and not just because of the whole foundation situation but the fact that it was designed for a tenant that's not gonna be coming after all.

In retrospect, nearly an entire year was wasted on this ordeal. I had slowly grown to accept BIG's redesign and I, like everyone else was sure that the deal with News Corp/Fox was essentially final so we could just look forward to seeing some action on the site. Obviously this will prolong the development but now there is an increasingly brighter glimmer of hope for Foster's 2 WTC design, which seems to be the only practically and feasible option at this point in the game.

Titan Man liked this post
CityGuy87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2016, 10:51 PM   #5496
TallestKidOnTheBlock

Likes (Received): 131

This is amazing news. I hope so innerly for Foster's design to come back and for 3WTC to regain its spires.
TallestKidOnTheBlock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2016, 10:57 PM   #5497
Brooklyn Rising

Likes (Received): 59

We may see an entirely different design all together since BIG designed the building specifically for News Corp. I can't really see Foster's design coming back just cause it's a decade old. If we do see it coming back I'd expect it to look slightly different. Sucks that this is pushed back even further now.
Brooklyn Rising no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2016, 10:59 PM   #5498
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

So now we have two detailed, viable designs for a new anchor tenant to choose from. This gives Silverstein lots of flexibility for landing a media or financial tenant. I prefer the original but with economic pain looming, anything is better than a stalled stump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Rising View Post
We may see an entirely different design all together since BIG designed the building specifically for News Corp. I can't really see Foster's design coming back just cause it's a decade old. If we do see it coming back I'd expect it to look slightly different. Sucks that this is pushed back even further now.
I'm sure Ingels would happily rework his design to suit a new tenant. Not so sure about Foster...
Old January 16th, 2016, 11:12 PM   #5499
CityGuy87

Likes (Received): 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
So now we have two detailed, viable designs for a new anchor tenant to choose from. This gives Silverstein lots of flexibility for landing a media or financial tenant. I prefer the original but with economic pain looming, anything is better than a stalled stump.

I'm sure Ingels would happily rework his design to suit a new tenant. Not so sure about Foster...
Foster was dumped because of Murdoch's insistence but now that he's out of the picture, Silverstein could easily revive the Foster plan.

The BIG design is not simply viable if they wanna maintain the existing foundation built for Foster's tower. There's no amount of design modifications Bjarke Ingels could make to fit on it. Demolishing the existing foundation would be a total waste of time, effort and money and I don't think anyone involved wants to prolong the development anymore than it already has been so far.
CityGuy87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2016, 11:22 PM   #5500
sodap0p53

Likes (Received): 33

I remember from an article on Curbed NY that Ingel's team might've have problems at the 2WTC site, had they gone through with construction.
Quote:
Construction crews will have to assemble the first three floors without disturbing the equipment. Then they must "duplicate" all of it; that is to say, they will build a replica of the machinery inside the tower. New air pipes will be snaked up the building. Then, somehow, the systems will be switched over without severely disrupting PATH train service or the underground retail shops.
"The machinery has to keep running to keep the hub alive," Ingels said. "Duplicate the machinery, switch it on, and then we can start clearing the ground floor for our purposes. So, baked into the site is already a few additional challenges, above and beyond the programmatic and sort of gravity requirements."
Was this a problem specific to the BIG design, or would they still have this problem if they used the Foster design?

birchey, Swiddle liked this post
sodap0p53 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
200 greenwich st., 2wtc, foster and partners, lower manhattan, new york, nyc, silverstein, supertall, world trade center