daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 18th, 2016, 06:02 AM   #5521
birchey

Likes (Received): 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooner86 View Post

Here's an excellent example for BIG to follow in designing a skyscraper that resembles stacked boxes. Z12 in Beijing.

Beijing, where you won't be able to see it for the smog.
birchey no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 18th, 2016, 06:28 AM   #5522
TheIllinoisan

Likes (Received): 538

Quote:
Originally Posted by birchey View Post
Beijing, where you won't be able to see it for the smog.
Doesnt change the fact that its a better design than 2 WTC.

SMCYB liked this post
TheIllinoisan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2016, 04:02 PM   #5523
Pohtija
Dragonlike

Likes (Received): 850

Looks like hope has returned to the WTC site ! Best news of the year ! ()

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2016/0...in_midtown.php

Bring Fosters design back, only make it at least 50 meters taller !

SMCYB liked this post

Last edited by Pohtija; January 18th, 2016 at 04:11 PM.
Pohtija no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2016, 04:49 PM   #5524
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 719

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pohtija View Post
Ummm, not possible. It would cast a shadow over the memorial, that's why it got its diamond-shaped top in the first place.

SMCYB liked this post
Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2016, 06:24 PM   #5525
Steve92691

Likes (Received): 25

Now if we could get rid of Faux News all together...

SMCYB, Godzilla Ranger NYC liked this post
Steve92691 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2016, 08:12 PM   #5526
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31730

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve92691 View Post
Now if we could get rid of Faux News all together...
We might just have......

January 15, 2016

Fox, News Corp. back out of move to 2 World Trade Center

The Rupert Murdoch media companies will remain in midtown Manhattan

21st Century Fox and News Corp., the mass media companies owned by Rupert Murdoch, have pulled out of a lease to anchor a new office tower at the World Trade Center—scrapping a multibillion dollar deal that would have solidified the site as a nexus for media and creative businesses.

The companies backed out of a deal to take more than 1 million square feet at 2 World Trade Center, a 2.8 million-square-foot, 110-story tower designed by the star architect Bjarke Ingels. The sudden reversal is a blow to Silverstein Properties, the developer planning to build 2 World Trade Center. The firm, founded by Larry Silverstein, finished building 4 World Trade Center, a 72-story, 2.5 million-square-foot office tower more than a year ago and is in the process of erecting 3 World Trade Center, an 80-story, 2.8 million-square-foot office building.

"After much careful consideration we have decided to maintain our New York headquarters and other business operations at 1211 and 1185 Avenue of the Americas," according to a joint statement released by 21st Century Fox and News Corp. "We have extension options that could continue our occupancy in our current sites through 2025."

Find the full article here:

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...d-trade-center

cyril sneer liked this post
JuanPaulo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2016, 09:03 PM   #5527
optimusprimal1

Likes (Received): 131

Now if fosters design gets built now. Dream come true.
Old January 18th, 2016, 09:47 PM   #5528
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8235

Quote:

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2016/0...in_midtown.php

so back to eternal limbo
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2016, 11:01 PM   #5529
Lt. H Caine

Likes (Received): 4664

Its just a waiting game now, hopefully we aren't left in the dark for too long. Fingers crossed for Foster's design to return!

JuanPaulo liked this post
Lt. H Caine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2016, 12:25 AM   #5530
M00S

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Great news to start 2016. Hopefully now they'll cancel the BIG eyesore.
M00S no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2016, 12:45 AM   #5531
Tupac96

Likes (Received): 321

so then construction will not start this month??
Tupac96 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2016, 12:47 AM   #5532
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31730

#bringbackfoster
Old January 19th, 2016, 01:44 AM   #5533
Garfield...
Disciplinado y Obediente

Likes (Received): 53

In my opinion I think BIG´s new design is more suitable for that place. Architecture there must be abstract and simple, without any eccentricity. The symbolic heart and WTC´s center of gravity must be the Memorial and its public space at street level.

It reminds me the old Manhattan skyscrapers, with the successive setbacks (the successive cantilevers can be elements of a symmetry game and are only possible with nowadays technology), but in a different way, a contemporary reinterpretation of the Golden Age buildings.

WR HEARST liked this post
Garfield... no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2016, 02:12 AM   #5534
Blue Flame
Get Silly!

Likes (Received): 575

Everyone seems pretty excited about the news that Fox has backed out and BIG's design won't likely get built.
Personally, I don't like BIG's design (no surprise, it pales by comparison to the alternative), but regardless, from an unbiased perspective, the design wasn't that bad- it simply wasn't that good either.
It would be nice if they would return to Foster's design, but the thought also has to be entertained that we could end up with something far worse than BIG's design.
I guess time will tell.

KillerZavatar liked this post
Blue Flame no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2016, 04:31 AM   #5535
ThomasK2001

Likes (Received): 652

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupac96 View Post
so then construction will not start this month??
Yes, it wont, but months after they find new tenants for this tower, it will finally restart.
ThomasK2001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2016, 01:11 PM   #5536
M00S

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield... View Post
In my opinion I think BIG´s new design is more suitable for that place. Architecture there must be abstract and simple, without any eccentricity. The symbolic heart and WTC´s center of gravity must be the Memorial and its public space at street level.

It reminds me the old Manhattan skyscrapers, with the successive setbacks (the successive cantilevers can be elements of a symmetry game and are only possible with nowadays technology), but in a different way, a contemporary reinterpretation of the Golden Age buildings.
It is all about selling the story. Makes me think of Barnett Newmans “Onement VI”. Some people will note that: Newman overwhelms and seduces the viewer with the totality of its sensual, cascading washes of vibrant blue coexisting with Newman’s vertical “Sign” of the human presence, his iconic and revolutionary “zip.". Other people see a white line on a blue canvas auctioned off for 44 million.

GunnerJacket, stop that liked this post
M00S no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2016, 05:14 PM   #5537
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

Quote:
In my opinion I think BIG´s new design is more suitable for that place. Architecture there must be abstract and simple, without any eccentricity.
Must? I think I understand what you're saying but will politely disagree. Even though I do agree with, as you put it:
Quote:
The symbolic heart and WTC´s center of gravity must be the Memorial and its public space at street level.
To wit, I felt BIG's design was a blunt wall that overshadowed the memorial, rather than something that paid homage to the location. But that's just me.
Quote:
This I don't see. Sure, one angle has setbacks but they're clearly geometric plays that also see the blocks shift outward, meaning something entirely different from the classic highrises of the past. These shifts were also devoid of any artistry, just a random "Okay, here ya go. There's variation for you." kind of display. So I fail to see any reminiscence in the design.

Architecture lover liked this post
GunnerJacket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2016, 05:40 PM   #5538
NYStruct

Likes (Received): 184

Quote:
But wouldn't you say that Foster design (with the diamond facing toward the Memorial and WTC#1) is more successful in achieving this than BIG's design (which as noted by some critics and Douglas Durst seemed to turn its back to the Memorial and WTC#1)? And wouldn't you qualify the setbacks and cantilevers on BIG's design as "eccentricities" which take the spotlight away from the memorial plaza while Foster's design has more of a sober elegance to it?

From an architectural standpoint I prefer Foster's design for these reasons even though I don't have a major beef with BIG's design: I think it's audacious but just not well-suited for that site. From the structural, financial and construction standpoints however, it was always an heresy to try to fit BIG's new design on the foundations that were built for Foster's design. This was a desperate measure in an attempt to sign an anchor tenant (Fox News) but now that this deal fell through, there should be no reason to implement BIG's design.

Garfield... liked this post
NYStruct no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2016, 06:03 PM   #5539
cyril sneer

Likes (Received): 840

This is good news in my opinion. If even Foster's design does not come back surely no new design can be as bad as the BIG design. It raises the prospects of a new tower taking 20 years after 9/11 to be built though. They may aswell get the design right in my opinion. This new tower will make or break WTC development for me. So far apart from WTC1 the development has been fair/poor in my opinion. London is building better towers than what we have seen at WTC.

publio liked this post
cyril sneer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2016, 07:08 PM   #5540
DUBAI10000

Likes (Received): 436

This is from CTBUH.org "21st Century Fox and News Corp. won’t be moving to the World Trade Center after all, as the separate media giants controlled by Rupert Murdoch have decided to keep their headquarters on Sixth Avenue in Midtown. The companies’ leases run through 2020.

“After much careful consideration we have decided to maintain our New York headquarters and other business operations” at 1211 and 1185 Sixth Ave., the companies said in a joint statement. “We have extension options that could continue our occupancy on Sixth Avenue through 2025,” the statement continues.

Fox and News signed a non-binding letter of intent last June to lease 1.3 million square feet (120,000 square meters) of office and studio space at Larry Silverstein’s planned 2 World Trade Center. The 2.8 million-square-foot (260,000-square-meter) tower was designed by Danish architect firm Bjarke Ingels Group.

Sources said the decision not to move was entirely for business reasons, and not to do with any issues involving the World Trade Center site.

In a statement, Silverstein said that while he was “disappointed” by the decision, “I am immensely grateful to the Murdochs and their team, as well as to the Bjarke Ingels Group and our partners at the Port Authority for their inspired work over the past year. Make no mistake, it won’t be long before we find a great company to anchor 2 World Trade Center,” Silverstein said.

For more on this story, go to the New York Post."
I'm so happy, now there is no need for BIGS abomination to be built, as other forumers said even if we don't get foster's design back (which will be a disappointment) at least we won't have BIG's.
DUBAI10000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
200 greenwich st., 2wtc, foster and partners, lower manhattan, new york, nyc, silverstein, supertall, world trade center