daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 22nd, 2016, 10:02 PM   #5561
Tommy Boy
MEGATALLS for AMERICA

Likes (Received): 112

I remember several years ago when all these skyscrapers was basically to get the greenlight for the construction of them. Me and many others had to endure verbal attacks because we wanted something similar to the original than all those skyscrapers that would begin to be built back then. Me personally would just rebuild the Twin Towers 1776 feet in roof height. The wast majority masses in this site said that these skyscrapers is something much better and it will be a much better replacing than it was when the Twin Towers stood here. I disagreed with that, but the spot grew on me when I saw the result and the desire to want to build something new and modern. The only skyscraper I looked forward to getting built was Foster 2WTC. That design stood out from the crowd of other skyscrapers not only in New York but the entire World.

Then the 2WTC who was the pinnacle of this future site was put on hold for many years, and it seemed that it fell into some sorts of oblivion. No progress for years and then came the Danish BIG's Leaning Tower. If this is called to rebuild the skyline of Lower Manhattan, those in charge of this circus has failed miserably.
It would have been much more appreciated by people of New York if it was placed in the Hudson Yards. Which is the right Place for this kind of buildings.
Lower Manhattan is a showcase to the outside world. This is where New York Begins. This is where high-class buildings should be stately and show New York in its glory.

When I see all the Mumbo Jumbo behind this Projects of today I just wish the whole circus behind all this would had just go back to the roots and built bigger, better, stronger and more mightier Twin Towers. It would have been best for the city, the people, the victims, for the owners and for the economy of the greatest city in the whole wide World. It will not occure I know that but it would have been the best idea if we all knew that this would be the results of continuing delayings, plannings, lack of tenants etc etc.

To say all this is not politically correct but it's the truth and I Believe that many have thought the same thing about all of this.

Before attacking me remeber that I know it is a matter of demanding of tenants and I support Fosters design 100% and hope that Silverstein and Co will go for it eventually. This is more then just renting out office spaces. This is something that would heal and show the strength of the greatest city in Mankind. I am one of them who takes this site and Projects very personal. My father worked there in the early 90's. Thanks.

http://www.twintowersalliance.com/images/Golden_Towers.png

Last edited by Tommy Boy; January 22nd, 2016 at 11:52 PM.
Tommy Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 22nd, 2016, 10:15 PM   #5562
JMGA196

Likes (Received): 5135

To be honest, the only good things about the old towers were the first and top floor's cladding.

Mimar Sinan - Sebastian Treese - Sejima - Nishizawa - Pawson - Horia Creangă - McKim, Mead & White - Gord Scott - Peter Pennoyer - Charles Hilton - Annabelle Selldorf - Roman and Williams - Morris Adjmi - Diller Scofidio + Renfro

★★★ MAKE ARCHITECTURE GREAT AGAIN! ★★★
JMGA196 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2016, 10:50 PM   #5563
M00S

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasK2001 View Post
It's my edit
Do you also credit yourself with building a house after you have painted the door?

Msradell, -Corey- liked this post
M00S no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2016, 10:52 PM   #5564
ThomasK2001

Likes (Received): 652

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00S View Post
Do you also credit yourself with building a house after you have painted the door?
Do you credit yourself for not shutting up for once?

Hudson11 liked this post
ThomasK2001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2016, 10:54 PM   #5565
Lt. H Caine

Likes (Received): 4663

I'm feeling the love in this thread today...

ebrown89 liked this post
Lt. H Caine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2016, 12:33 AM   #5566
UrbanImpact

Likes (Received): 1528

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. H Caine View Post
I'm feeling the love in this thread today...
Lets save this page for nicer people
Old January 23rd, 2016, 12:43 AM   #5567
victor del rey

Likes (Received): 387

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00S View Post
Maybe it's his edit everybody calm down please
victor del rey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2016, 01:33 AM   #5568
Zaanstad_1987
Walking Dutchman

Likes (Received): 30

Hmmm...

The painfull truth is that on september 11th 2021, two decades after the attacks, there will still a construction hole... an empty space... an incomplete complex...

I wish they could build 2 WTC by forehand and than lease the tower... The empire state building started this way.

Great opposite, BIG design is probably ending in a nice trashbin.
Zaanstad_1987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2016, 10:23 AM   #5569
stop that
BANNED

Likes (Received): 546

The contrarian in me wants to say, i don't like the Norman Foster design, just to go against the crowd.
Everyone likes it, so i must not go along with the masses.
But in this instance I will, fosters design is what got me interested In ssc, it's better in quality and in design than any of the mega towers in Asia.
It's like a mix of new York 'giant scale' and european 'modern but elegant'.
Fosters design Is both huge, modern and beautifull. None of that kitchy tack you see elsewhere.
That's why it suites new york so well, and would be an instant icon for new York and would show off it's status as the alpha city. New York is too prestigious and refined to have kitchy asian like towers or silly falling blocks.
Norman fosters tower perfectly shows new york as being a city unlike any other. The tower befits the leader of the developed world perfectly, it's both BIG AND BEAUTIFUL. MODERN AND REFINED. EYECATCHING AND IMPRESSIVE. build it now

Last edited by stop that; January 23rd, 2016 at 10:36 AM.
stop that no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2016, 11:36 AM   #5570
Godzilla Ranger NYC
LOL

Likes (Received): 27

I hope BIG's design is built as WTC 5/6 or somewhere else in the city

Davidsam52 liked this post
Godzilla Ranger NYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2016, 03:11 PM   #5571
Davidsam52

Likes (Received): 160

BIG's design ....standing on its own has merit and is interesting.....just not as part of the WTC complex.

Scrapernab2, Msradell liked this post
Davidsam52 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2016, 04:22 PM   #5572
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidsam52 View Post
BIG's design ....leaning on its own has merit and is interesting.....just not as part of the WTC complex. (agreed!)
There fixed it for you.

Davidsam52, GunnerJacket liked this post
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2016, 05:48 PM   #5573
jhalsey166

Likes (Received): 10

Why would Murdock pull out so late? It seemed a done deal...maybe this was a ploy to negotiate better prices up at mid town?
jhalsey166 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2016, 07:50 PM   #5574
ThomasK2001

Likes (Received): 652

Melonus, ryaboisse, ruthen1an liked this post
ThomasK2001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2016, 08:55 PM   #5575
chipz

Likes (Received): 23

Is it tue there's a chance to bring back the original Forster's design? Fingers crossed to be true!

Scrapernab2 liked this post
chipz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2016, 03:47 AM   #5576
TallestKidOnTheBlock

Likes (Received): 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipz View Post
Is it tue there's a chance to bring back the original Forster's design? Fingers crossed to be true!
Lately, I have seen several large newspapers covering the unpopularity of BIG's proposal. When even the mainstream media begins to take a stance against it, I'd say it's not unlikely that BIG's design will eventually be scrapped. This leaves Silverstein in a a bit of a dilemma, as he is now again left without a design. The easiest thing to do then will be to return to the original Foster design. That decision would also send a signal of a much less chaotic management than the alternative of suddenly deciding on a whole third design. Call me optimistic, but I don't think it's unlikely that well see Foster's design rise within the next few years.
TallestKidOnTheBlock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2016, 06:17 AM   #5577
AnOldBlackMarble
read lightship chronicles

Likes (Received): 5755

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatism415 View Post
Get real people, Silverstein's not gonna shell out the big bucks and waste even more time by ripping up the current foundation for a design that isn't even relevant anymore. He won't necessarily revert to Foster's design, but he certainly won't be keeping BIG's current one.
I don't understand people like Silverstein. He's old, he's going to die soon. What's he going to do with his money after he's dead, count it eternally deep in his pyramid?

Why not spend it all now and create a legacy. He should build something great there, irrelevant of tenants. He'll be dead before the building is finished anyway, so what does he care. Spend the money on something truly great, and that way he really will be remembered for eternity. They only way to cheat death is to do something GREAT and be remembered forever.

AlexDemens, stop that, Swiddle liked this post
AnOldBlackMarble no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2016, 02:24 PM   #5578
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1035

New York is not made of lego. His legacy is fiscal responsibility and only building things that are economically viable. That's more important than monuments to his own ego.

In a way, I'm glad that the WTC has had tenancy issues and construction setbacks. It shows that it's not a vanity project or some national memorial. It's a working part of the city. Nothing has changed. Skyscrapers only get built in NYC if they're profitable. In that sense, the terrorists have lost because it is business as usual in lower Manhattan, even if that business is painfully slow.

WR HEARST, voyager8907, j-biz, ebrown89 liked this post
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2016, 06:21 PM   #5579
WR HEARST
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldBlackMarble View Post
I don't understand people like Silverstein. He's old, he's going to die soon. What's he going to do with his money after he's dead, count it eternally deep in his pyramid?

Why not spend it all now and create a legacy. He should build something great there, irrelevant of tenants. He'll be dead before the building is finished anyway, so what does he care. Spend the money on something truly great, and that way he really will be remembered for eternity. They only way to cheat death is to do something GREAT and be remembered forever.

LOL!!...Your parents didn't teach you respect??
..Take care not to die before him!
Silverstein is an american businessman;not the Santa Claus you still believe in!

Last edited by WR HEARST; January 25th, 2016 at 06:37 PM.
WR HEARST no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2016, 08:12 PM   #5580
AnOldBlackMarble
read lightship chronicles

Likes (Received): 5755

Quote:
Originally Posted by WR HEARST View Post
LOL!!...Your parents didn't teach you respect??
..Take care not to die before him!
Silverstein is an american businessman;not the Santa Claus you still believe in!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeKindOfBug View Post
New York is not made of lego. His legacy is fiscal responsibility and only building things that are economically viable. That's more important than monuments to his own ego.

In a way, I'm glad that the WTC has had tenancy issues and construction setbacks. It shows that it's not a vanity project or some national memorial. It's a working part of the city. Nothing has changed. Skyscrapers only get built in NYC if they're profitable. In that sense, the terrorists have lost because it is business as usual in lower Manhattan, even if that business is painfully slow.
Wow you guys really don't get it. That's too bad.

stop that liked this post
AnOldBlackMarble no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
200 greenwich st., 2wtc, foster and partners, lower manhattan, new york, nyc, silverstein, supertall, world trade center