daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 12th, 2016, 10:33 PM   #5641
enrigue8
BANNED

Likes (Received): 709

I hope so.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
enrigue8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 12th, 2016, 10:50 PM   #5642
SpeedoPro

Likes (Received): 21

Does this mean Foster's design will be resurrected?

Fluxit, SMCYB liked this post
SpeedoPro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2016, 06:47 PM   #5643
prageethSL

Likes (Received): 2978

Silverstein talks 2 WTC, languishing luxury market

Quote:
When Larry Silverstein saw the design for 2 World Trade Center, he did not respond positively, especially given the site’s history.

“My first reaction was, ‘Wow, this building looks like it’s going to topple. It’s going to fall over,’ ” the developer said during a panel Thursday on the 40th floor of another one of his buildings, 7 World Trade Center. The 84-year-old eventually warmed to Bjarke Ingels’ design — a series of stair-like boxes rising more than 80 stories tall — but in January, another crucial part of the building’s future fell apart. After 15 to 16 months of discussions, the building’s anchor tenant, News Corp., backed out.

“At the last moment, it was Rupert Murdoch who called and just let me know that they were concerned about the state of the world and the magnitude of the commitment that it would require if they were to go forward with the transaction,” Silverstein said. “He felt that the timing was bad from their vantage point.”

Silverstein reiterated previous assertions that it won’t take long for a replacement tenant to materialize. The building represents the “new language” of buildings in New York City and the creativity of its architect — qualities that will swiftly attract future occupants, he said.

“We’ll build tower two,” he said. “We will find a user for that building, and it won’t take up a lot of time. That’s a good building.”

During the Anchin Construction and Development Forum, Silverstein touched on other design decisions made over his career. He said that he has learned from many mistakes, including the original 7 World Trade Center, which ended up “a very pedestrian building,” due to the developer’s desire to save on construction costs.

“It was devoid of architectural quality, and amassed to a bulk of heaviness that was not what I really aspired to accomplish here, but I was intent on building as inexpensive as I could, and so that’s what we did,” he said. “But I learned as a result of that experience that it makes all the difference in the world to do first-class architecture because it will make all the difference in the world to prospective users.”

Silverstein, prompted by moderator Rosemary Scanlon, former dean of New York University’s Schack Institute of Real Estate, also touched on the slowing of the luxury condominium market. He said that the city has seen a tremendous influx of foreign capital, due to investors seeking a more secure market. But developers have been overzealous in their response to the demand, creating “five, six, maybe seven years” worth of supply in a very short period of time. As a result, activity in the ultra-luxury market “fell off the cliff,” he said.

“The flow has been incredible. It has made its way into the easiest form of hard asset acquisition. What is that? Condominium apartments.” he said. “What it’s caused, however, is an incredible movement in the condominium cycle, and what you have is a record number of condominium developments all over the city such that we suddenly find ourselves that the development community overdid it.”

Still, Silverstein said he doesn’t expect the flow of foreign investments to stop pouring into the U.S. anytime soon. It will just take some time for the overflow of luxury properties to be absorbed, he said.

As for new office buildings in the city, Silverstein believes there’s a lot of demand for modern office buildings. But he said his company, Related Companies and Brookfield Property Partners are the only developers pulling their weight in replacing the aging stock.

“Other than the three of us, there’s no creation of new office space certainly of any quantity or quality,” he said.
http://therealdeal.com/2016/02/12/si...luxury-market/

BLACK DAHLIA, goodybear liked this post
prageethSL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2016, 06:52 PM   #5644
BLACK DAHLIA
BANNED

Old February 14th, 2016, 01:16 AM   #5645
noms78

Likes (Received): 244

So there are no alternatives to the Foster and Ingels design?
noms78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2016, 03:57 AM   #5646
ArtFan88
Skyscrapers are Art.

Likes (Received): 5

Seems Bjarke's design is here to stay, I didn't get the vibe that Larry is reconsidering it at all.

And really, why would he? It's a fresh, modern design that attracts a new kind of tenant, granted its surrounded by 10+ year old architecture. There might also be the possibility, as others have said, that he can't just go back to Foster given how that relationship was ended.
ArtFan88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2016, 09:42 AM   #5647
Twopsy

Likes (Received): 68

I understood that the Ingels design was just chosen to fill the needs of News Corp for including large tv studios. Without News Corp a new tenant will likely chose the old design by Norman Foster.
Twopsy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2016, 03:25 PM   #5648
goodybear

Likes (Received): 684

I don't see why people are making a big deal about the fact the Foster design is now 10 years old. I think it is a timeless design, while the BIG design may seem modern at the moment, but outdated in a few years time. The Empire State Building is over 80 years old but its design is still amazing.

Msradell, SMCYB liked this post
goodybear no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2016, 06:15 PM   #5649
tinyslam

Likes (Received): 892

God I just hate Rupert Murdoch so much. That bullshit excuse about the state of the world not being right is ridiculous.
Old February 17th, 2016, 03:37 AM   #5650
JackUnblock

Likes (Received): 17

In no means trying to be spam, but I do want to share something from Change.org which is a petition on building a twin for One World Trade Center as Tower 2. This petition has recently been posted, so not a lot of people have signed it. The link is below. This is just an idea, a possibility: change.org/p/larry-silverstein-build-twin-one-world-trade-center-freedom-towers
JackUnblock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2016, 06:31 AM   #5651
iiConTr0v3rSYx
Brooklyn Boy

Likes (Received): 2913

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackUnblock View Post
In no means trying to be spam, but I do want to share something from Change.org which is a petition on building a twin for One World Trade Center as Tower 2. This petition has recently been posted, so not a lot of people have signed it. The link is below. This is just an idea, a possibility: change.org/p/larry-silverstein-build-twin-one-world-trade-center-freedom-towers
That is not possible. You people need to realize there is no way to build a twin of 1 WTC on the site.

Check this guy out for Monthly updates on the WTC.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc3yuNST1YhPioYxJtqJWtQ

iiConTr0v3rSYx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2016, 03:17 PM   #5652
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 718

And it would look totally out of place, at least to me.
Old February 17th, 2016, 07:32 PM   #5653
JackUnblock

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiConTr0v3rSYx View Post
That is not possible. You people need to realize there is no way to build a twin of 1 WTC on the site.
How so?
Old February 17th, 2016, 07:36 PM   #5654
scoobysaurus

Likes (Received): 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan Man View Post
And it would look totally out of place, at least to me.
Not sure about looking out of place, but it sure as hell will look a lot better than whatever they're building now.

scoobysaurus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2016, 07:50 PM   #5655
optimusprimal1

Likes (Received): 131

It be a way of restoring the twin towers to the skyline

optimusprimal1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2016, 08:02 PM   #5656
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobysaurus View Post
Not sure about looking out of place, but it sure as hell will look a lot better than whatever they're building now.
IMO, it would be in a strange position in regard to WTC1, and WTC1 is designed to be quite unique, Twin Towers were pretty boxy and simple. That design allowed them to work better together, a thing which wouldn't be possible with twins WTC1. Also, we all know how expensive and complicated to build WTC1 was, so I don't see any investor wanting to take that burden when he can easily take slightly smaller project, WTC2, which would be much easier and cheaper to build.

Last edited by Titan Man; February 17th, 2016 at 10:22 PM.
Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2016, 10:18 PM   #5657
BLACK DAHLIA
BANNED

BLACK DAHLIA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2016, 10:30 PM   #5658
JackUnblock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan Man View Post
I don't see any investor wanting to take that burden when he can easily take slightly smaller project, WTC2, which would be much easier and cheaper to build.
Whoa whoa whoa, now wait a minute. Easier and cheaper? Aren't we trying to make the complex better? That was the initial plan the second since the towers came down.
Old February 17th, 2016, 10:33 PM   #5659
iiConTr0v3rSYx
Brooklyn Boy

Likes (Received): 2913

Quote:
How so?
It's not something that has to be explained at this point.

Check this guy out for Monthly updates on the WTC.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc3yuNST1YhPioYxJtqJWtQ
iiConTr0v3rSYx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2016, 10:40 PM   #5660
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Quote:
Whoa whoa whoa, now wait a minute. Easier and cheaper? Aren't we trying to make the complex better? That was the initial plan the second since the towers came down.
As we all know, WTC1 is pretty much like a fortress, and a very expensive one. Specifically, the most expensive business building ever built. By building a twin to WTC1, one must satisfy all the requirements of the WTC1, and it would be a worse solution to a developer that's only interested in money and profit, so that's why he'll turn to Fosters or BIG's design, which are still specially secured from terrorist attacks, but probably not as much as WTC1, since the tallest and most symbolic tower is more likely to be under a threat of another fanatic lunatic than a "mere office building" (like 2WTC or 3WTC).

P.S. the complex will nevertheless be much better that the original one, IMO.

Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
200 greenwich st., 2wtc, foster and partners, lower manhattan, new york, nyc, silverstein, supertall, world trade center