daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 21st, 2016, 05:06 AM   #5681
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

The Twin Towers were never so loved prior to 9/11.

Common observations: "dull", "banal", "brutal."

Miami High Rise liked this post
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 21st, 2016, 05:51 AM   #5682
JackUnblock

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
The Twin Towers were never so loved prior to 9/11.

Common observations: "dull", "banal", "brutal."

So? I'm 15, and I never had a real experience with the twin towers existence pre-9/11.
JackUnblock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2016, 06:13 AM   #5683
Informative

Likes (Received): 69

The reason I don't like BIG's design is because it doesn't have enough of a significant design for the site itself. The building was designed for the people within it rather than for the site. I browsed some of BIG's work and all his projects seem to have a similar philosophy... steps incorporated in the design which makes me feel the design was rushed.

The design looks out of place and it does seem like it's falling towards 1WTC which is not what one wants to see. Fosters design is perfect because it was designed at the time of the other buildings. Fosters design has thought throughout the design and I really hope it eventually gets built.

stop that, artObserver, baisaroff liked this post
Informative no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2016, 04:06 PM   #5684
JackUnblock

Now, listen. I never said I hated the new designs. I think they look pretty damn cool, and will eventually be iconic within a few years after they are completed, maybe sooner. Even though BIG's design does look like it is going to topple over (which makes the site look terrible and offensive at that) and Fosters design is, well, a design I haven't really seen before. It sure looks like something else.

The reason I have been ranting on rebuilding the twin towers, is because that it still feels like something is missing, even though nobody liked the twins pre-9/11, it's just that they were iconic structures, and even though they were just 2 big "filing cabinets" to me they looked beautiful (especially at night.) I've mentioned this before.

I'm 15, so even though I lived before 9.11, I've never had an experience with the twin towers pre-9/11. And I won't be surprised if new generations start mentioning that they want the twins back. Hell, I've even heard a 12 year old say that last year. All I want to do, and even though I still fight for (even though it seems hopeless, but I never lose hope)

I just don't want to be left out and I want to experience two buildings that people who are on this thread probably have experienced before back then, so I assume you guys are able to move on, but not me. Again, I'm not trying to add drama to this thread, I just want to share my true beliefs, as well as properly explain that I can't 'move on' just like that.
Old February 21st, 2016, 04:54 PM   #5685
ThomasK2001

Likes (Received): 652

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackUnblock View Post
So? I'm 15, and I never had a real experience with the twin towers existence pre-9/11.
I'm 14 and I wish I could have seen them with my own eyes, but they came down when I was only 1 month old
ThomasK2001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2016, 05:13 PM   #5686
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8231

Well, now I feel old

C30, Hudson11, Msradell, seb.nl, SH16 and 3 others liked this post
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2016, 07:00 PM   #5687
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasK2001 View Post
I'm 14 and I wish I could have seen them with my own eyes, but they came down when I was only 1 month old
I never saw them with my own eyes as well. But i knew them very well. I was 12 years old in 2001 and a big Skyscraperfan already. No joke, i had tears in my eyes when i saw the news about 9/11.
No doubt, the Twin Towers will stay my favourite skyscrapers of all time forever.
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2016, 08:41 PM   #5688
goodybear

Likes (Received): 684

Even though I prefer the Foster design, I don' think that BIG's design would be so bad. I remember hating 1 WTC but in real life it looked a lot better than in the renders (especially the base).
goodybear no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2016, 09:49 PM   #5689
JackUnblock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasK2001 View Post
I'm glad I am not the only one on this thread. I don't want to make this thread become, well, like a YouTube Comment section. You know the ones who just blatantly insult one another, and use profanity to back up their statements.

All I want to say here, is that whenever someone tells me to move on with the new buildings, it pisses me off. How can people move on if they hadn't had a full experience with the original buildings in the first place? The new buildings don't even represent moving on, not with the younger people in this day and age, the people who haven't been to NYC to see the towers.

I also noticed that most of the people who signed the petitions on TheTwinTowersAlliance are mostly people who haven't even seen the towers. I swear, over 50% of them either say "I remember seeing the towers in Home Alone 2 or some other movie, and it made me want to go there. But terrorists ruined it for me." and the others say "I planned to go to NYC to see these towers, but my dreams are now shattered."

This means that even years from now, more and more people will start talking about rebuilding the twin towers. There is hope to bring em back, the problem is, we just have to wait till we reach the right amount of people. 9/11 happened only 15 years ago, that isn't a long time ago.

The people who have seen the towers are still around, especially the people who own them, Larry Silverstein, George Pataki, all of them. Because they've seen the towers so much, it doesn't have an impact on them to not rebuild them. They want to start with something fresh and new. And I can't blame them for that. I live in Sudbury, Ontario, and whenever we get new buildings, I'm excited as hell. Because Sudbury hasn't changed in like, forever. So New York should be thankful they are getting new stuff more often. (Actually, they should add the twin towers in Sudbury since no one is building the design.)

The real question is, why add new buildings at The World Trade Center of all places. That is only 16 acres out of 194, 966 acres? That is only 8% of land in New York City. Why not add modern buildings wherever there is ground space? The city changes every 25 years I heard somewhere, so why not bring that change to anywhere where there is ground spacing. Anywhere but the World Trade Center.

They focused too hard on the designs of the buildings, and they didn't need to do that. Because of that, there have been dramatic changes to the buildings themselves. It's as if someone had a simple project to do at school, but they planned to make it the best damn project so he/she can get that approval and good grade (I've done this before), but the problem is, they aren't even capable of doing such a project in that short period of time. Now the project is overdue, and had quick changes, and it came out like something you hoped it would be, but turned into complete shit.

Also, please note, I'm sorry for these long paragraphs. I have so much to say about the subject, I'd rather just put it together than scatter it and thus, making the thread a mess.

Last edited by JackUnblock; February 21st, 2016 at 09:54 PM.
Old February 22nd, 2016, 12:48 AM   #5690
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Likes (Received): 2651

Quote:

The real question is, why add new buildings at The World Trade Center of all places. That is only 16 acres out of 194, 966 acres? That is only 8% of land in New York City. Why not add modern buildings wherever there is ground space?
Where else can they really build? The rail yards are being built over and practically any remaining parking garages, gas stations, and vacant lots are being developed. And the midtown east rezoning is barely progressing. So any tiny sliver of available land in Manhattan is precious, let alone 16 whopping acres in the financial district, and not fully rebuilding the new WTC would be political suicide.

Quote:
It's as if someone had a simple project to do at school, but they planned to make it the best damn project so he/she can get that approval and good grade
I don't know if it's as simple as that. I don't think the design was a problem at all until Murdoch came into the picture. The problem has always been financing it and securing a tenant in an unfavorable office market. And before that, getting 1 and 3 WTC off the ground was (justifiably) a monumental struggle. They can just find a new architect to accommodate whatever tenant they can get, but the problem is finding that tenant. However, I'm sure there would've been more progress by now with more transparent and competent leadership.

Lt. H Caine liked this post
bodegavendetta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2016, 01:25 AM   #5691
JMGA196

Likes (Received): 5135

I'm 19 and I've always hated the twin towers It's never going to happen, they won't build a twin 1WTC. It would look horrible anyway. Get over it.

Mimar Sinan - Sebastian Treese - Sejima - Nishizawa - Pawson - Horia Creangă - McKim, Mead & White - Gord Scott - Peter Pennoyer - Charles Hilton - Annabelle Selldorf - Roman and Williams - Morris Adjmi - Diller Scofidio + Renfro

★★★ MAKE ARCHITECTURE GREAT AGAIN! ★★★

Davidsam52 liked this post
JMGA196 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2016, 03:03 AM   #5692
JackUnblock

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGA196 View Post
I'm 19 and I've always hated the twin towers It's never going to happen, they won't build a twin 1WTC. It would look horrible anyway. Get over it.
I don't care if you are 19 and if you hated the twin towers. I do not know the future and the twin towers could be rebuilt in the future. They could build a twin to 1WTC yet again we don't know the future. It won't look horrible. I won't get over it, and do not tell me to. Because you do not know how I feel about this. Have a nice day.

Last edited by JackUnblock; February 22nd, 2016 at 03:08 AM.
Old February 22nd, 2016, 03:04 AM   #5693
JackUnblock

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodegavendetta View Post
and not fully rebuilding the new WTC would be political suicide..
I never said to not fully rebuild the World Trade Center. You can build your new buildings, but let us see the twin towers as well, no matter how long in the future.
Old February 22nd, 2016, 03:09 AM   #5694
onewtclover

Likes (Received): 1028

While we are on this (already VERY thoroughly discussed topic...)
Just for fun I made an edit using the Twin Towers Aliance's render of what it would look like if the twin towers were built on top of the memorial pools (which, although is practically impossible, is really our only option given the World Trade Center's almost done already.)

Credits to Dbox for the original picture, obviously.

onewtclover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2016, 03:14 AM   #5695
JackUnblock

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewtclover View Post
While we are on this (already VERY thoroughly discussed topic...)
Just for fun I made an edit using the Twin Towers Aliance's render of what it would look like if the twin towers were built on top of the memorial pools (which, although is practically impossible, is really our only option given the World Trade Center's almost done already.)

Credits to Dbox for the original picture, obviously.

Honestly, I wouldn't want to have the twin towers on the pools. It's disrespectful. But if they do that, whatever.
Old February 22nd, 2016, 03:44 AM   #5696
iiConTr0v3rSYx
Brooklyn Boy

Likes (Received): 2906

No sane person would recommend building on the original footprint.

And let's be honest, if they did build a twin on 2 WTC site, the space between it and 1 WTC would look nothing like the Twin Towers. Both towers would be divided by the PAC and Greenwich Street.

Atleast we have Manhattan West.....

Check this guy out for Monthly updates on the WTC.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc3yuNST1YhPioYxJtqJWtQ
iiConTr0v3rSYx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2016, 03:54 AM   #5697
JackUnblock

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiConTr0v3rSYx View Post
No sane person would recommend building on the original footprint.

And let's be honest, if they did build a twin on 2 WTC site, the space between it and 1 WTC would look nothing like the Twin Towers. Both towers would be divided by the PAC and Greenwich Street.

Atleast we have Manhattan West.....

I don't want tower 2 to be on the initial site. I don't want them to be side by side (they will look bad), I want them diagonally away just like the original towers.
Old February 22nd, 2016, 04:02 AM   #5698
iiConTr0v3rSYx
Brooklyn Boy

Likes (Received): 2906

Which is impossible.

Lt. H Caine liked this post
iiConTr0v3rSYx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2016, 04:05 AM   #5699
JackUnblock

I'm guessing you (iiConTr0v3rSYx) and I misunderstood each other. I never wanted the towers to be side by side like that. I was researching through the ground plan of the entire complex to see how to make a twin fit there.

EDIT: Actually, I see why a twin for 1 WTC can't fit. There is a pathway underground. Eh, whatever. They can build a twin towers somewhere else in New York in the future. If not, then they just suck. New York should have those icons standing anyway, I wonder why they threw the towel on them. They may not have been visually appealing to some, but they were iconic, and beautiful at dusk and night to me.

(He is most likely sexually attracted to trains, send help)

Last edited by JackUnblock; February 22nd, 2016 at 04:10 AM.
Old February 22nd, 2016, 04:13 AM   #5700
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

Quote:
Whatever you say, but you gotta admit, this wouldn't be an eye sore.
Love this idea!!!

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
200 greenwich st., 2wtc, foster and partners, lower manhattan, new york, nyc, silverstein, supertall, world trade center