daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 25th, 2016, 05:47 AM   #5721
micrip

Likes (Received): 1049

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasK2001 View Post
I'm 14 and I wish I could have seen them with my own eyes, but they came down when I was only 1 month old
You really know how to make me feel really old...as one who saw them go up, and come down...

Sponsored Links
Old February 25th, 2016, 06:27 AM   #5722
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by webeagle12 View Post
so why are you reading this tread then?
Because it's a shame what economization can do to what could have been something extraordinary.

The twins were iconic, beautiful, sleek. If they built the new complex without any cuts, they could have equalled them. But it's been reduced to nothing more than some angled bland forms. The original twins had a powerful monolithic simplicity that the new towers can't match.

4WTC is the only one that ended up beautiful, because it wasn't value-engineered. The other three had their defining aspects castrated.

I only hope that Bjarke's blocks are removed and something as nice as Foster's design can take its place.

artObserver, birchey liked this post
ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2016, 01:32 PM   #5723
JackUnblock

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGA196 View Post
You should. First because you were the one that started talking about how as a 15 year old kid, you loved the old towers. Second because I'm an architecture student, so I might know just a little bit more about it since I'm receiving classes about all this.

Literally nobody would waste money on that. They won't even spend it on Foster's perfect 2WTC, why would they waste it on something that has no sense, would generate more expenditures than income, could be considered disrespectful my many people, would have virtually no tenants, force to demolish something they just built... There's no reason to build it.

"We don't know the future" great argument. Do you think the same about Chicago Spire, or any other project that was at least proposed? What you're talking about is just some people's crazy idea influenced by emotions. So no, it will never happen. Stop deluding yourself.

Yes it will. The project looked great without needing to add or take anything from it. Look what happened when they changed Foster's 2WTC. They ruined the whole complex. You should get over it because you're a kid, it's annoying and I'm sure I'm not the only one that thinks like this. Nobody cares about how you feel, be realistic.
I'm assuming you never seen my response a few posts back.
JackUnblock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2016, 05:27 PM   #5724
BLACK DAHLIA
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Because it's a shame what economization can do to what could have been something extraordinary.

The twins were iconic, beautiful, sleek. If they built the new complex without any cuts, they could have equalled them. But it's been reduced to nothing more than some angled bland forms. The original twins had a powerful monolithic simplicity that the new towers can't match.

4WTC is the only one that ended up beautiful, because it wasn't value-engineered. The other three had their defining aspects castrated.

I only hope that Bjarke's blocks are removed and something as nice as Foster's design can take its place.

...Pretty sad to read such a piece of nonsense...especially because the original twins were really ugly!
Moreover,since when is economization a bad thing?..is the PA a church??
Tower 7 is a good one
The Memorial is magnificent
The transportation hub is an iconic masterpiece
Tower 4 is:wow!!
One WTC is a solid piece of architecture
Tower 3 is not bad
Tower 2 by Ingels is imo a great achievement
The VSC/church/gardens are gorgeous
WHERE IS THE FAILURE!??

Last edited by BLACK DAHLIA; February 25th, 2016 at 05:56 PM.
BLACK DAHLIA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2016, 03:31 AM   #5725
C4creeper
The architect of my world

Likes (Received): 63

"Oh magic conch,will 2 WTC ever be built?"
Conch : "Maybe someday."

Titan Man, bodegavendetta, ryaboisse liked this post
C4creeper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2016, 02:26 PM   #5726
spidey7312
Pro Web Slinger

Likes (Received): 545

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DAHLIA View Post
...Pretty sad to read such a piece of nonsense...especially because the original twins were really ugly!
Moreover,since when is economization a bad thing?..is the PA a church??
Tower 7 is a good one
The Memorial is magnificent
The transportation hub is an iconic masterpiece
Tower 4 is:wow!!
One WTC is a solid piece of architecture
Tower 3 is not bad
Tower 2 by Ingels is imo a great achievement
The VSC/church/gardens are gorgeous
WHERE IS THE FAILURE!??
In BIG's design
Old February 29th, 2016, 02:45 AM   #5727
Informative

Likes (Received): 69

The original World Trade Center was an icon to those who loved them, however to the people bringing them up and favouring them to the new site... let go or move on. Your opinion will not be disproved but what we have now is staying. It is repetitive to talk about what could have been, we should focus on what is here now. We have no idea what a rebuilding of the original World Trade Center would look like or be perceived. Maybe they would have looked incredible or maybe for some they would be haunting and a reminder of what happened. There are too many variables in bringing them back so creating something completely new was necessary so the reaction would be neutral.

The new World Trade Center complex is so young and new and is not even finished. Judgement should be made when the site is completely finished. Construction done, everything cleaned and presented and viewed in person. As when you view something through a device it is very different to seeing it in person. Also you are viewing the site with the original World Trade Center in your context and as your favoured site... so you are naturally bias. Imagine you had no knowledge of the original site and you viewed this site for the first time... perhaps your mindset would be different.

I have always loved this new site, I never had the privilege of seeing the original site in person but through devices they looked mesmerizing. As a younger individual I believe seeing this site rising has made me appreciate the site even more. We share the same notion, the ones who favour the original as they either saw them in person or watched their construction and now similarly with this site. Nonetheless it is essential Fosters design is picked or an equally beautiful design for the site to be what it should be. I really hope his design gets picked. Let's be grateful we have anything... be grateful for what is... once complete I believe it will redefine the skyline.
Informative no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2016, 11:22 PM   #5728
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1548

This entire thread has become a train wreck. Just like 2WTC itself.

artObserver, Manitopiaaa, goodybear liked this post
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2016, 11:32 PM   #5729
JackUnblock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Dodd View Post
This entire thread has become a train wreck. Just like 2WTC itself.
And I caused it, my bad...
Old March 2nd, 2016, 11:41 PM   #5730
spidey7312
Pro Web Slinger

Likes (Received): 545

How?
spidey7312 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2016, 11:46 PM   #5731
Lt. H Caine

Likes (Received): 4664

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackUnblock View Post
You didn't cause it. This thread was already a train wreck before you got here.

MarshallKnight, sgollis liked this post
Lt. H Caine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2016, 04:13 PM   #5732
Joshua Dodd

Quote:
You're obviously new here. This thread went to hell two years ago and has been spiraling the drain ever since.
Old March 3rd, 2016, 07:51 PM   #5733
JackUnblock

Well I talked about building twin freedom towers and everyone has been pretty much talking about the twin towers debate since.
Old March 3rd, 2016, 11:04 PM   #5734
NYStruct

Likes (Received): 184

Quote:
You're obviously new here. This thread went to hell two years ago and has been spiraling the drain ever since.
It's not the thread that went to hell - it's the project itself, as you pointed previously...
NYStruct no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2016, 11:29 AM   #5735
Spocket

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:
Well I talked about building twin freedom towers and everyone has been pretty much talking about the twin towers debate since.
Yes, in all the years that this thread has been open, this is the first time anybody's ever mentioned twin towers. If only we'd discussed this before we could have made some real progress in this thread.
Spocket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2016, 03:13 PM   #5736
JackUnblock

Although I'm new here, I have been reading the thread of the WTC progress since 2012, which began my growing interest of the twin towers and as a result, made me become more inspired and intrigued by those towers than the new ones. Don't get me wrong, the new buildings are awesome, but like I've said before, the classic is often better than the reboot, and the World Trade Center is a good example.
Old March 4th, 2016, 11:06 PM   #5737
Joshua Dodd

Yeah, the Twins were awesome. We all miss the Twins. They were one of a kind. They dominated the skyline. They were the kings of all skyscrapers. Tall. Domineering. Intimidating. Bold. Bulky. Handsome. The list goes on. But, alas, the Twins are gone. They will never come back. That's that. Maybe in the future some bold investors will construct a replica of the Twins somewhere else in the city. A far fetched maybe. But the fact remains that they are a distant memory that went down in a terrible inferno.

andrei_kob liked this post
Old March 4th, 2016, 11:22 PM   #5738
TonyNYC

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Yeah, the Twins were awesome. We all miss the Twins. They were one of a kind. They dominated the skyline. They were the kings of all skyscrapers. Tall. Domineering. Intimidating. Bold. Bulky. Handsome. The list goes on. But, alas, the Twins are gone. They will never come back. That's that. Maybe in the future some bold investors will construct a replica of the Twins somewhere else in the city. A far fetched maybe. But the fact remains that they are a distant memory that went down in a terrible inferno.

Born and raised in NYC.. my dad used to take me downtown as a kid to show me the twins rising. He would tell me.. those two buildings are gonna touch the clouds!

They were, along with the original Yankee Stadium, my favorite place in NYC. The twins were BAD ASS!! Just awesome..Yes.. Bold, Intimidating, etc.. it was the focal point to the skyline and on any road trip we took.. you knew you were gettin close to home when you could see them far in the distance. Right out of college I worked down there.. I'd eat lunch across the street in Liberty Park(later known for Occupy Wall St). I was always in awe of the towers and went up to the observation deck inside and out at least a dozen times. Had New Years dinner at Windows on the World with my family a few times.

The new WTC is fine.. they did a great job of the memorial, the museum and now the transit hall. 1 WTC is cool...4 WTC is ok.. 3 WTC still under contruction and 2 WTC... who knows.

I go down there and appreciate it.. but it still brings me back to what was..

NEVER FORGET!
Old March 5th, 2016, 12:09 AM   #5739
C4creeper
The architect of my world

Likes (Received): 63

I'm guessing Half-Life 3 will be realesed before this thing gets above ground level.

Pohtija liked this post
C4creeper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2016, 01:30 AM   #5740
JackUnblock

Quote:
Yeah. But I hope that a replica would be rebuilt. One of these days, some billionaire investor out there has to put those buildings back so other generations can experience it just like people in the 60's - 2001 did.

Tags
200 greenwich st., 2wtc, foster and partners, lower manhattan, new york, nyc, silverstein, supertall, world trade center