daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 6th, 2016, 02:47 AM   #5741
JezNY

Likes (Received): 5

I was in college and watched the attacks live on tv it was very traumatic. Ever since I have felt traumatized and wished they would have rebuilt the twins better and up to 21st century safety standards while preserving their charm. Thank god that atrocity that was Bjarke's won't be built. It was hideously ugly. One WTC has grown on me some more, but at this point, to me the best course of action is to just build a twin of One Wtc and call it a day. I don't like Foster's either. It's better than Bjarke's and has an unusual shape, but it's "meh" to me. They should just build a twin for one wtc and be done with it. It would be a nice visual tribute to the twins without replicating them exactly but having some visual reference to them. I just don't care for mirrored glass clad towers, they just seem so bland and cold to me. Yea I know people said the same about the Twins but the Twins weren't glass and had a sense of texture and of course the gothic elements plus their enormous size. But what really made them special was that they were twins. That was Yamasaki's genius in the design. One alone would have been a bit "meh" but the two towers together visually added to the immense visual impact. Plus of course the huge need for office space that was in demand more then than today. Lots of different circumstances between then and now.
JezNY no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 6th, 2016, 03:26 AM   #5742
JackUnblock

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JezNY View Post
I was in college and watched the attacks live on tv it was very traumatic. Ever since I have felt traumatized and wished they would have rebuilt the twins better and up to 21st century safety standards while preserving their charm. Thank god that atrocity that was Bjarke's won't be built. It was hideously ugly. One WTC has grown on me some more, but at this point, to me the best course of action is to just build a twin of One Wtc and call it a day. I don't like Foster's either. It's better than Bjarke's and has an unusual shape, but it's "meh" to me. They should just build a twin for one wtc and be done with it. It would be a nice visual tribute to the twins without replicating them exactly but having some visual reference to them. I just don't care for mirrored glass clad towers, they just seem so bland and cold to me. Yea I know people said the same about the Twins but the Twins weren't glass and had a sense of texture and of course the gothic elements plus their enormous size. But what really made them special was that they were twins. That was Yamasaki's genius in the design. One alone would have been a bit "meh" but the two towers together visually added to the immense visual impact. Plus of course the huge need for office space that was in demand more then than today. Lots of different circumstances between then and now.

Yes, it would be visually appealing. But a twin for one WTC is impossible, due to the PATH trains below the ground. However, they could build a replica of the Miyasaki twin tower design. Can't wait till that day will come.
JackUnblock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2016, 09:20 AM   #5743
noms78

Likes (Received): 244

Quote:
Originally Posted by JezNY View Post
Twins of the new WTCs would look kitsch. The reason the original world trade twins "worked" was bc of their boxy simplicity.

artObserver liked this post
noms78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2016, 10:16 AM   #5744
redbaron_012

Likes (Received): 3093

Look...the original WTC was iconic and original...At the time no buildings were taller and then make that by two...they were simplistic as architecture can go...no fussy design, just two buildings rising from the ground as big at the roof as they stood at the ground. They are gone along with many lives...so we must move on and what stands now and yet to come will be New York today and whatever tomorrow...those that lament the original will always do that but as mere mortals will die ( me among them ) and the world will live and live...and live...and they will never know what we felt, yet with posted history maybe a flicker of what was...there are some of us they say...wherever if we live on any point on this planet...as I do as far away as anyone...this was New York as I lived it, as I saw it and as I stepped on its roof...ahhh !

gm2263, teles448, MarshallKnight, SJM, Zaz965 liked this post
redbaron_012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2016, 10:42 AM   #5745
gm2263
The Jedi Will Rise Again

Likes (Received): 2199

My thoughts exactly. We need to move on but the ones who even had a glimpse of what was back then will never forget.
Old March 6th, 2016, 10:44 AM   #5746
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10273

What is it with these threads being derailed by the WTC groupies? The WTC were eyesores. They were ugly and gray and boxy. They lacked any form of imagination. In fact, they're the very definition of 1970s architectural mediocrity: boxy, sterile, functional with slight flare.

Nobody in the US even thought much of them until September 11. And since then there's been this huge cult built around these buildings as if they were the best things since the Empire State Building. If you want to see the WTC as they were, come to Tulsa, OK, my hometown.

There you can see a 1/2 replica of the WTC built by the same architect at nearly the exact same time:

It's honestly one of the most boring looking buildings in the city.

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)

The seventh shape, cyril sneer liked this post
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2016, 11:01 AM   #5747
Shwayze1994

Likes (Received): 4

Or go look at the Aon Tower in Chicago, that's like the wtc's little sister.

Davidsam52 liked this post
Shwayze1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2016, 12:48 PM   #5748
Celt67

Likes (Received): 1545

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
What is it with these threads being derailed by the WTC groupies? The WTC were eyesores. They were ugly and gray and boxy. They lacked any form of imagination. In fact, they're the very definition of 1970s architectural mediocrity: boxy, sterile, functional with slight flare.

Nobody in the US even thought much of them until September 11. And since then there's been this huge cult built around these buildings as if they were the best things since the Empire State Building. If you want to see the WTC as they were, come to Tulsa, OK, my hometown.

You're right. New Yorkers on here can revise history all they like...the truth was that the locals HATED the design of these buildings when they were still there. It was often said that they looked like 'The boxes the Empire State Building and Chrysler Building arrived in'. Yes, everyone was amazed by the sheer size of them and the way they dominated lower Manhattan, but beautiful ? Please.

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.
Celt67 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2016, 04:27 PM   #5749
JackUnblock

I was born in 2000, and all I want to do in this day and age (which I despise) is experience what most people on this thread experienced those towers back then. I think that I myself personally will look at the buildings differently to how you guys seen it before.
Old March 6th, 2016, 06:12 PM   #5750
C4creeper
The architect of my world

Likes (Received): 63

Sorry for going off-topic but had the older WTC ever been value engineered?
And is there a possibility of a 5 and 6 WTC to be ever built or rather proposed? Of course,I believe I know the answer to the second question with the 2 WTC fiasco.
C4creeper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2016, 06:24 PM   #5751
SametErol
BANNED

Likes (Received): 28

where is the new railway station ?
SametErol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2016, 07:05 PM   #5752
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 719

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4creeper View Post
And is there a possibility of a 5 and 6 WTC to be ever built or rather proposed? Of course,I believe I know the answer to the second question with the 2 WTC fiasco.
Well, you're probably right. 6 WTC has not even been mentioned (having 7 WTC and not 6 WTC, someone sucked at math in elementary school ), although I've read somewhere a few years ago that Performing Arts Center may actually be named 6 WTC. Stupid, IMO.
About 5 WTC, after JPMorgan Chase backed out, project pretty much died (I don't feel sorry, a huge toilet seat wouldn't do much good for the whole complex) and the site is now being marketed, so one day we may actually see it rising, but don't hold your breath.
Old March 6th, 2016, 08:30 PM   #5753
CityGuy87

Likes (Received): 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan Man View Post
Well, you're probably right. 6 WTC has not even been mentioned (having 7 WTC and not 6 WTC, someone sucked at math in elementary school ), although I've read somewhere a few years ago that Performing Arts Center may actually be named 6 WTC. Stupid, IMO.
About 5 WTC, after JPMorgan Chase backed out, project pretty much died (I don't feel sorry, a huge toilet seat wouldn't do much good for the whole complex) and the site is now being marketed, so one day we may actually see it rising, but don't hold your breath.
5 WTC should be a hotel/residential tower to replace the Marriott (original 3 WTC) destroyed on 9/11. Norman Foster should design it, he deserves to still make his mark on the WTC complex if BIG's 2 WTC ends up being built. Just my $0.02 though...
CityGuy87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2016, 11:10 AM   #5754
xing lin
I ♥ HK

Likes (Received): 614

Quote:

There you can see a 1/2 replica of the WTC built by the same architect at nearly the exact same time:

Some styles will be more popular than others, and that's life. I personally find the Tulsa building more elegant than many of the current supertalls being built in NY, but it seems I'm in a minority
Old March 8th, 2016, 02:42 PM   #5755
JackUnblock

NOTE: The responses below are only from my personal opinion. Nothing more, nothing less.

The reason I like the twin towers is because to me, when I look at them in photos, they remind me of the past, which were the only good times in my life. This new generation I'm living in, is depressing... I can't help but feel a constant sadness all the time. That is because something about the past made it so peaceful. Looking at grey boxes reminds me of that time. I don't know why, but looking at those buildings as they reflect a sunset just connects to almost every part of every memory in my mind. I feel like feeling their presence if the rebuild them will fulfill that feeling I have in my mind. I knew what the twin towers were; I referred to them as the "9/11 buildings." In fact, I never really loved nor cared for those towers back then. But overtime, I looked at the buildings in old commercials and other media pre-9/11. Then, I began to look at them in a different light, and I find them amazing. Because they remind me of a time that was 10000x better than this modern generation. In all honesty, I hate living in a generation where The Kardashians, Nicki Minaj, Justin Bieber exist all over the place and god knows who else. Same goes with pretty much political things. I always feel like this world is falling apart and just becoming absurd (Donald Trump might be president, for example.) The reason I don't like the new buildings as much as the twins is because the modern designs just keep on bringing me back to the present. But don't get me wrong, the new buildings are a good design, and I like them, same goes with some things in this generation that I like (but the majority I despise.) So, yeah. Basically the twin towers to me are nothing but buildings to calm me from my depression.
Old March 8th, 2016, 04:13 PM   #5756
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1548

Quote:

Tulsa sucks.

ryaboisse liked this post
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2016, 05:10 PM   #5757
tinyslam

Likes (Received): 893

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackUnblock View Post
NOTE: The responses below are only from my personal opinion. Nothing more, nothing less.

The reason I like the twin towers is because to me, when I look at them in photos, they remind me of the past, which were the only good times in my life. This new generation I'm living in, is depressing... I can't help but feel a constant sadness all the time. That is because something about the past made it so peaceful. Looking at grey boxes reminds me of that time. I don't know why, but looking at those buildings as they reflect a sunset just connects to almost every part of every memory in my mind. I feel like feeling their presence if the rebuild them will fulfill that feeling I have in my mind. I knew what the twin towers were; I referred to them as the "9/11 buildings." In fact, I never really loved nor cared for those towers back then. But overtime, I looked at the buildings in old commercials and other media pre-9/11. Then, I began to look at them in a different light, and I find them amazing. Because they remind me of a time that was 10000x better than this modern generation. In all honesty, I hate living in a generation where The Kardashians, Nicki Minaj, Justin Bieber exist all over the place and god knows who else. Same goes with pretty much political things. I always feel like this world is falling apart and just becoming absurd (Donald Trump might be president, for example.) The reason I don't like the new buildings as much as the twins is because the modern designs just keep on bringing me back to the present. But don't get me wrong, the new buildings are a good design, and I like them, same goes with some things in this generation that I like (but the majority I despise.) So, yeah. Basically the twin towers to me are nothing but buildings to calm me from my depression.
1: Go see a psychiatrist if you are in constant sadness.
2: You never lived in that past time so your only "memory" is that of positive nostalgia. There were plenty of crappy things in the past.
3: You're only a kid. Things will get better as you realize that the world is not actually falling apart (or you can argue that it is always falling apart) as you gather more perspective.
4: This has nothing to do with the WTC and rebuilding the originally twins is not going to magically make the world better.
tinyslam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2016, 07:50 PM   #5758
NYStruct

Likes (Received): 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackUnblock View Post

This is off topic but I'll bite...

I would not presume to tell you how to feel or think - but as far as I am concerned I don't think re-building the same exact buildings would have been a positive and forward-thinking attitude. Your argument is kind of like "hey let's send a man on the moon again, because I haven't experienced it the first time and how cool would it be to re-live this glorious era ?!?!" - whereas I think it would be much better to send a man to Mars (or elsewhere). I believe there is more "fun" and excitement in taking up new challenges than re-enacting the past over and over again...

Personally I think re-building the WTC with different design (and engaging in healthy debates over Foster vs. BIG in the process) and taking up on new challenges was the better choice - even for the copping process.

And on another note, if you don't like the present times - maybe you should try to find ways to change things up and leave your mark on the future instead of living in nostalgia of the past... Who knows, maybe you could become an architect whose revolutionary designs will inspire others instead of being a simple copycat of what others did 50 years ago - it's entirely up to you.

Last edited by NYStruct; March 9th, 2016 at 01:02 AM.
NYStruct no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2016, 10:32 PM   #5759
goodybear

Likes (Received): 687

The only irony is the original wtc architect would have hated the new buildings being built at the new wtc. He said in an interview he likes buildings with small narrow windows (he had a fear of heights). Don't get me wrong, I like the new wtc buildings.
goodybear no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2016, 04:09 AM   #5760
Davidsam52

Likes (Received): 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Dodd View Post
Tulsa sucks.
Come on now, that's not nice....we're all supposed to be friends here.
Davidsam52 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
200 greenwich st., 2wtc, foster and partners, lower manhattan, new york, nyc, silverstein, supertall, world trade center