daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 7th, 2016, 04:08 AM   #5801
Enigmatism415

Likes (Received): 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
What is it with these threads being derailed by the WTC groupies? The WTC were eyesores. They were ugly and gray and boxy. They lacked any form of imagination. In fact, they're the very definition of 1970s architectural mediocrity: boxy, sterile, functional with slight flare.
This is the greatest misconception that people have about what The World Trade Center actually was. The Twin Towers themselves were only half of the complex; the sheer size of the plaza and coverage of the surrounding buildings was equally impressive and jaw-dropping. The Twin Towers formed the centerpiece, of course, but the complex was so much more than that. I don't miss the Twin Towers as much as I miss the super-block concept, the insular street-shunning fortress elevated above ground and skirted by an asphalt moat. The vastness of the plaza alone was overwhelming. I also absolutely adored the network of bridges that carried you over the streets, far removed from the traffic below. What other urban complex in the United States of America is so horizontally dominating? The enormous plaza, in conjunction with two giant monoliths, just made your body feel tiny, like a child. I admit that my first visit to NYC was in the summer of 2002, but I have seen thousands of pictures and hours of video footage. Super-blocks may be out of fashion, but I like them most of all.

Sponsored Links
Old April 7th, 2016, 11:24 PM   #5802
LastConformist

Likes (Received): 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatism415 View Post
This is the greatest misconception that people have about what The World Trade Center actually was. The Twin Towers themselves were only half of the complex; the sheer size of the plaza and coverage of the surrounding buildings was equally impressive and jaw-dropping. The Twin Towers formed the centerpiece, of course, but the complex was so much more than that. I don't miss the Twin Towers as much as I miss the super-block concept, the insular street-shunning fortress elevated above ground and skirted by an asphalt moat. The vastness of the plaza alone was overwhelming. I also absolutely adored the network of bridges that carried you over the streets, far removed from the traffic below. What other urban complex in the United States of America is so horizontally dominating? The enormous plaza, in conjunction with two giant monoliths, just made your body feel tiny, like a child. I admit that my first visit to NYC was in the summer of 2002, but I have seen thousands of pictures and hours of video footage. Super-blocks may be out of fashion, but I like them most of all.
It's terrible for the urban fabric, though.

Anyway, you can find this stuff in a lot of places that were built in the 50s through the 70s. Empire State Plaza in Albany is a great example.

[IMG]http://previews.*****.com/images/demerzel21/demerzel211408/demerzel21140800116/30629577-Empire-State-Plaza-a-complex-of-several-state-government-buildings-in-downtown-Albany-New-York--Stock-Photo.jpg[/IMG]

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
LastConformist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2016, 05:32 AM   #5803
Enigmatism415

Likes (Received): 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastConformist View Post
It's terrible for the urban fabric, though.
Maybe if the whole neighborhood were a collection of super-blocks. In FiDi, there was really only the WTC. You had other plazas, but they occupied single blocks (albeit large ones). The WFC is the only other one that I can think of in the neighborhood, but it's not really so much a super-block as it is a long skirting. Aside from the WTC, there are really only large-block complexes left...nothing overwhelming. You have to go to Rockefeller Center to get that feeling again, although less so. I think Hudson Yards might be the next and last one for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastConformist View Post
Anyway, you can find this stuff in a lot of places that were built in the 50s through the 70s. Empire State Plaza in Albany is a great example.
Not bad, but without super-talls towering over it, you don't get that canyon-like feeling (a large part of the appeal for me).

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Enigmatism415 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2016, 06:40 AM   #5804
ThomasK2001

Likes (Received): 652

A change in the stacked box design?
Old April 13th, 2016, 06:55 AM   #5805
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3588

Huh. Could be promising. Looks a little less twisty/leaning, with the topmost cantilevers clearly within the footprint of the base of the tower, and the South wall becoming very straight. Plus the terrace setbacks appear to have gotten more regular, which is definitely a good thing -- the irregularity of the box sizes is one of the main things that's been driving me nuts.

Hopefully we see some updated renders to shed some light. I'm still skeptical, but architecture is about iteration, and a new version could go a long way to selling me on the change from Foster to BIG.

EDIT: Nevermind! I apparently got this backwards, and the new design is actually the twistier, tippier, more irregular one. Well, great.

ChuckScraperMiami#1, ThomasK2001 liked this post

Last edited by MarshallKnight; April 13th, 2016 at 11:17 PM.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2016, 08:35 PM   #5806
BLACK DAHLIA
BANNED

Foster's design is just good enough to fit in downtown Philly imo...
Hard to believe he is the very same guy who designed the HSBC building in HK,one of the most striking masterpiece of all time.
I remember couple years ago entering that building as if it was a sacred site;I was in such a awe!The incredible atrium especially,impressed me a lot:a magnificent modern Bradbury building!!...Later, I saw the Berliner Dome,the amazing Hearst tower and the"Gerkin"in London.Visiting the south of France I went especially to Millau to see the viaduct :Foster was a light for me!..Then..listen!..I don't know what happened to that guy!it just makes me feel so sad to talk about it!!

DeaconG liked this post
BLACK DAHLIA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2016, 08:47 PM   #5807
BillyLoomis1982

Likes (Received): 37

Cool. It looks a lot cleaner that way. Could be an improvement, but since I already like the design now, they don't need to win me over. Would be great to see one or two new renderings though.
BillyLoomis1982 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2016, 09:00 PM   #5808
Architecture lover

Likes (Received): 1286

For me Foster is definitely one of the best architects, he knows how to make a building that looks modern, sleek and sophisticated. I can't even think of comparing his work for the WTC site to BIG's newer proposal.
The most important thing was that with the previous design the buildings on the site used to cooperate with each other, with BIG's newer proposal we don't see such cooperation, quite the opposite.

baisaroff, the dogi liked this post
Architecture lover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2016, 09:10 PM   #5809
ArtFan88
Skyscrapers are Art.

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasK2001 View Post

A change in the stacked box design?
This looks very good if true, it looks a lot more uniform. I hope we see some proper renders of this change soon, I'd really like to get a better idea of it.
ArtFan88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2016, 09:33 PM   #5810
Architecture lover

Everytime I see BIG's proposal I'm thinking....this building is such a bureaucratic disgrace.
Old April 13th, 2016, 09:41 PM   #5811
BLACK DAHLIA
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architecture lover View Post
Everytime I see BIG's proposal I'm thinking....this building is such a bureaucratic disgrace.
LOL!!Sorry for you but it is not a proposal but a RENDERING...what is actually gonna be built!....aka BIG BEAUTY!
..Can't wait for that" bureaucratic disgrace"!!.
Old April 14th, 2016, 12:09 AM   #5812
ThomasK2001

From BIG's website, they have a PDF on Two World Trade from February

yeisson, Torch, Sparetime liked this post
ThomasK2001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2016, 12:39 AM   #5813
tokilamockingbrd

Likes (Received): 116

so what is the status on this? I thought I read the anchor tenants backed out, but what confuses me is I also read they changed the design at the behest of the anchor tenants.

So was it 2 separate groups of tenants. Was it the same one that backed out then came back on board when they got a design they liked. Or did they change the design for the tenant and then when they backed out did they decided to just keep it?
tokilamockingbrd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2016, 03:00 AM   #5814
ThomasK2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokilamockingbrd View Post
so what is the status on this? I thought I read the anchor tenants backed out, but what confuses me is I also read they changed the design at the behest of the anchor tenants.

So was it 2 separate groups of tenants. Was it the same one that backed out then came back on board when they got a design they liked. Or did they change the design for the tenant and then when they backed out did they decided to just keep it?
1. The status is still on hold and proposed
2. The 2 anchorsmall did back out on January 15th
3. A slight change might happen
4.The groups are separate l, but owned by the same person
ThomasK2001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2016, 06:58 AM   #5815
tokilamockingbrd

Likes (Received): 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasK2001 View Post
1. The status is still on hold and proposed
2. The 2 anchorsmall did back out on January 15th
3. A slight change might happen
4.The groups are separate l, but owned by the same person
thanks.
tokilamockingbrd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2016, 05:33 PM   #5816
Architecture lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DAHLIA View Post
LOL!!Sorry for you but it is not a proposal but a RENDERING...what is actually gonna be built!....aka BIG BEAUTY!
..Can't wait for that" bureaucratic disgrace"!!.
I might be getting boring now, but this video summarizes perfectly why I used to like Foster's proposal so much, it shows perfectly the cooperation between the towers that I mentioned before in my previous posts. The new tower might get better they only need to take away the leaning part, or that's what I think after all.

javi92, pablord liked this post
Old April 14th, 2016, 06:48 PM   #5817
publio

Likes (Received): 5

man, that hurts...
publio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2016, 09:17 PM   #5818
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22541

1260'? Might as well make it shorter than the ESB at this point. 30 Hudson Yards is taller, lol.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2016, 05:02 AM   #5819
weidncol
WTC Enthusiast/Researcher

Likes (Received): 4623

2 WTC will be 1,340 to the parapet.
Old April 15th, 2016, 08:48 PM   #5820
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidncol View Post
2 WTC will be 1,340 to the parapet.
The official site still says 1,270'. What makes you think it'll still be 1,340'? The newer renderings make it look a little shorter.

This is the first time we're hearing the 1,250'/1,260 figure (I can't read it well enough to tell) but considering the history of this site I wouldn't be surprised with a height cut.

They really should just make it 1,362 f*cking feet high, why not?

ThomasK2001, Enigmatism415 liked this post
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
200 greenwich st., 2wtc, foster and partners, lower manhattan, new york, nyc, silverstein, supertall, world trade center