daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 2nd, 2016, 04:28 AM   #5901
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Likes (Received): 2651

I had thought I was over the controversy over the new 2WTC, but after seeing that YIMBY comparison it's no contest: the old one fits the site MUCH better. I also agree with YIMBY that the new one would be fine for HY, but it doesn't do anything meaningful for the WTC site. It's almost heartbreaking that they scrapped Foster's design.

Sponsored Links
Old July 2nd, 2016, 02:23 PM   #5902
scraper2293

Likes (Received): 199

YIMBY article was spot on. Foster's building made the complex IMO, and was a perfect complement to it's neighbors. Totally restored the skyline and really made up for the loss of the former one. Was and still am hopeful to one day visit the site again when completed and see Foster's masterpiece towering over lower manhattan.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
scraper2293 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2016, 03:20 PM   #5903
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4604

Great article indeed. Pretty much says what a lot of us have been saying from the beginning.
The odds are against it ever happening but if there's any good news, it would be that Silverstein is still considering Foster's design. It all depends on the tenant at this point.
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2016, 08:46 PM   #5904
baseball1992

Likes (Received): 262

It would look good at the McDonalds site in HY
baseball1992 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2016, 09:07 PM   #5905
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostface79 View Post
if there's any good news, it would be that Silverstein is still considering Foster's design. It all depends on the tenant at this point.
I believe the odds are much better for Foster's design. Who would pay for new foundations? I can here the meeting now: "This design over here will cost $100 million more and take 1.5 years longer because we have to reconstruct the base. This one over here is ready to go."
Old July 3rd, 2016, 12:26 AM   #5906
scraper2293

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapernab2 View Post
I believe the odds are much better for Foster's design. Who would pay for new foundations? I can here the meeting now: "This design over here will cost $100 million more and take 1.5 years longer because we have to reconstruct the base. This one over here is ready to go."
If only...

Makes me wish they had built more of the ground level structure like they did with WTC3 to ensure this tower would one day rise.
Old July 3rd, 2016, 03:23 AM   #5907
Wbino49

Likes (Received): 246

Could we as concerned citizens start a campaign or at least write to mr Silverstein about our desire to see Fosters design built?
Old July 3rd, 2016, 11:06 AM   #5908
schostabur

Likes (Received): 39

fosters design is too lyrical.

BLACK DAHLIA liked this post
schostabur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2016, 11:53 AM   #5909
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28146

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodegavendetta View Post
I had thought I was over the controversy over the new 2WTC, but after seeing that YIMBY comparison it's no contest: the old one fits the site MUCH better. I also agree with YIMBY that the new one would be fine for HY, but it doesn't do anything meaningful for the WTC site. It's almost heartbreaking that they scrapped Foster's design.
I couldn't agree more.
Eric Offereins está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2016, 07:35 PM   #5910
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 588

It's going to come down to which one is cheaper it's a $3,000,000,00+ tower, and John Hammond is t building it

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2016, 04:28 PM   #5911
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapernab2 View Post
No disagreement there. But Silverstein's latest statements clearly indicate he is leaning towards BIG's design, he seems to be sold on its practical aspect and how it could attract modern day tenants.
Let's just hope he comes to his senses or at least a tenant does it for him.
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2016, 05:09 PM   #5912
scraper2293

Well nothing is set in stone until an anchor tenant is found. I believe Foster's tower is still the cheaper and faster option?

Also, to what extent will Foster's foundations have to be modified if they go with BIG's tower? What potential changes might be made to that design? How much will it cost? How long will it take? Could there really be a full demolition of everything that has already been built or is it not as bad as some are making it out to seem? Simply far too many unknowns right now.
Old July 4th, 2016, 07:44 PM   #5913
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraper2293 View Post
Also, to what extent will Foster's foundations have to be modified if they go with BIG's tower? What potential changes might be made to that design? How much will it cost? How long will it take? Could there really be a full demolition of everything that has already been built or is it not as bad as some are making it out to seem? Simply far too many unknowns right now.
Full demolition of the existing foundations is not really an option because of all the other infrastructure that's in place in the foundations. It was stated when the BIG design was 1st revealed that it was designed to rest on top of the existing foundations. If you look further back in the thread you will see some illustrations of how they propose to do that. I'm sure the cost will be more expensive than using existing foundations of the building itself is probably cheaper to build.

As you stated, nothing will be decided until a major tenant is found.
Old July 4th, 2016, 07:58 PM   #5914
weidncol
WTC Enthusiast/Researcher

Likes (Received): 4623

Actually, the latest revision to BIG's tower back in Feburary would require them to completely redo the existing foundation.
Old July 4th, 2016, 08:35 PM   #5915
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 588

Then why would they do this?

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)

Msradell liked this post
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2016, 01:35 AM   #5916
scraper2293

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidncol View Post
Actually, the latest revision to BIG's tower back in Feburary would require them to completely redo the existing foundation.
Wow! I don't remember reading confirmation of this? Assumed it was technically feasible to build BIG's tower on the site, just more complicated/expensive.

What a mess if true
Old July 5th, 2016, 02:28 PM   #5917
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22497

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraper2293 View Post
Wow! I don't remember reading confirmation of this? Assumed it was technically feasible to build BIG's tower on the site, just more complicated/expensive.

What a mess if true
Oh, It's Feasible. But only with the financial backing of a lucrative organization because of the added cost.
Hudson11 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2016, 04:30 PM   #5918
SideStreetShadow

Likes (Received): 12

I don't see this thing getting going for at least five years. Once Hudson yards gets built out, Midtown West will be the 'it' office district and the projects in that area already in the pipeline (Tishman's spiral, 50 hudson yards, 2 manhattan west) will be green-lighted much sooner than this. Those three buildings alone will total (3M+2.5M+1.5-2M) almost 7 million square feet of space that will need to be absorbed by the market. That doesn't even include hudson blvd (another 1.5M+) or could-go-either-way projects like 15 penn plaza (2+M)
SideStreetShadow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2016, 08:09 PM   #5919
chazmania

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidncol View Post
From what I could tell only the inside of the core walls would require demo. I can not see how a good structural engineer could not get the foundations work as is. The foundation still has to absorb the same mass.

I think the debate on the design is like a hamster running in his wheel, going nowhere fast. For workers I think the BIG design seems more friendly and more adaptable than the sterile diamond. Neither is cheap but one is considerably more hip.

The building that will be built is the one with the best business case. End of Story.
chazmania no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2016, 08:48 PM   #5920
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 96

It is an interesting shape, and conversation.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=1007
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
200 greenwich st., 2wtc, foster and partners, lower manhattan, new york, nyc, silverstein, supertall, world trade center