daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 5th, 2016, 10:59 PM   #5921
LastConformist

Likes (Received): 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazmania View Post
From what I could tell only the inside of the core walls would require demo. I can not see how a good structural engineer could not get the foundations work as is. The foundation still has to absorb the same mass.

I think the debate on the design is like a hamster running in his wheel, going nowhere fast. For workers I think the BIG design seems more friendly and more adaptable than the sterile diamond. Neither is cheap but one is considerably more hip.

The building that will be built is the one with the best business case. End of Story.
It's not "hip". It's "what seventy-year-olds think is hip". Which for purposes of what gets built might be the same thing, but pretending BIG's design is somehow more modern or trendy is nothing but ridiculous.

Dubai Skyscraper, Zaz965 liked this post
LastConformist no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 5th, 2016, 11:16 PM   #5922
scraper2293

Likes (Received): 199

If the office space in BIG's tower is supposedly that much better than Foster's than it will be what rises unfortunately. Don't really get what's so bad about Foster's interiors other than it was geared more towards banks/financial institutions.

Clearly many of us would like to see this tower rise here. It's foundations are already in place and ready to go but no one seems to want it.

DeaconG liked this post
scraper2293 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2016, 06:11 PM   #5923
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 96

A smart compromise is what's needed. Keep the Foster tower section and redesign the addition (side facing away from WTC 1) to the tenants wishes. There is no reason it couldn't be 'box stepped' up to about 30 floors.

goodybear, scraper2293 liked this post
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2016, 10:36 AM   #5924
goodybear

Likes (Received): 687

Excuse me for my ignorance but why dont they convert the tower into residential units while keeping the outside diamond shape the same. I heard there is a high demand for affordable housing in Manhattan. I know this would mean new plans would have to be drawn but if it attracts tenants…
goodybear no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2016, 04:26 AM   #5925
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4604

This lot is not zoned for a residential building so it only makes sense for an office tower to rise there.
Besides, the building is attracting prospective tenants and was very close to get built and there are a good number of companies still looking for a new home so I expect either version to move forward at some point, hopefully Foster's design. It is just a matter of time.

Last edited by Ghostface79; July 8th, 2016 at 06:06 AM.
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2016, 07:39 PM   #5926
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodybear View Post
Excuse me for my ignorance but why dont they convert the tower into residential units while keeping the outside diamond shape the same. I heard there is a high demand for affordable housing in Manhattan. I know this would mean new plans would have to be drawn but if it attracts tenants…
If this building is built if designed it certainly wouldn't be able to provide "Affordable Housing"!
Old July 14th, 2016, 06:53 AM   #5927
Enigmatism415

Likes (Received): 169

Even if it were zoned for residential use, it would be the least affordable housing in the neighborhood!
Old July 15th, 2016, 10:42 AM   #5928
Glidescube

Likes (Received): 32

Be nice to have Google and Facebook become Co anchor tenants
Glidescube no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2016, 02:01 PM   #5929
scraper2293

Would be even nicer if someone came to their senses and builds the design that was meant for this location and is already built up to ground level... but that's just wishful thinking unfortunately

I'm guessing that regardless of which design is chosen, there won't be another six months that passes without the signing of a tenant?
Old July 17th, 2016, 02:32 PM   #5930
goodybear

Realistically it'll probably start rising when 3 WTC is complete. Although I guess that is an optimistic estimate, considering this tower was meant to have been completed 5 years ago.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old July 19th, 2016, 10:29 AM   #5931
the man from k-town
Frankfurt-Lover <3

Likes (Received): 6793

Why did they change the design? The old one was the most beautiful of the complex. That's sad
Old July 19th, 2016, 10:54 PM   #5932
UrbanImpact

Likes (Received): 1535

Quote:
Originally Posted by the man from k-town View Post
Why did they change the design? The old one was the most beautiful of the complex. That's sad

The design didn't work for what the tenant (Fox) needed. Now that the tenant is gone, who knows what can happen.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
UrbanImpact no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2016, 03:02 AM   #5933
scraper2293

Was there ever an official cost estimate released for Foster's version of 2WTC? I know the estimate for BIG's tower was $4 billion back in August but all I ever heard for Foster's is that it was the 2nd most expensive in the complex behind 1WTC.

I can't see it being as or more expensive than BIG's design.
Old July 21st, 2016, 06:29 PM   #5934
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 588

Last estimate as of 3 years ago was $3.5 billion

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2016, 06:15 PM   #5935
SpeedoPro

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpact View Post
The design didn't work for what the tenant (Fox) needed. Now that the tenant is gone, who knows what can happen.
That's great to know! So now can we bring Foster's design back?! We should start a petition to bring back Foster's design!!

Infesus, ArrHo liked this post
SpeedoPro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2016, 08:13 PM   #5936
scraper2293

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedoPro View Post
That's great to know! So now can we bring Foster's design back?! We should start a petition to bring back Foster's design!!
Were you around when the new design was unveiled? It was absolute chaos around here with many members suggesting just that.

I definitely agree with you and want Foster's tower to rise here but unfortunately it all comes down to what the potential tenant wants, not us. Unless of course we can gather up a few billion dollars and anchor it ourselves

Infesus, Zaz965, aquaticko liked this post
Old July 29th, 2016, 02:00 AM   #5937
baronson

Likes (Received): 714

http://www.wsj.com/articles/blackroc...unt-1469643587

Quote:
BlackRock Inc. is presenting New York real-estate developers with something they haven’t seen in a while—a financial firm that is looking to grow.

While big banks and hedge funds are in retreat and emptying out space, the asset management giant is deciding whether to move into a new global headquarters and is narrowing its review of sites being developed in Manhattan down to three.

The 850,000-square-foot deal will be among the biggest leases of the year for the city and a contrast to the direction of the banking industry.

....BlackRock’s search has become the focal point for brokers looking to lock in one of the highest profile tenants now examining space. The firm is considering sites at the Hudson Yards development on the far West Side, neighboring Manhattan West and the World Trade Center development in lower Manhattan, according to people familiar with the matter, in addition to remaining in its current space.
Some good news. Financial firm looking for a lot of space in either Hudson Yards, Manhattan West, or WTC. Possible anchor? Possible resurrection of Foster's 2WTC given the prospective tenant?
Old August 1st, 2016, 09:22 AM   #5938
goodybear

Lets all hope for the best... I have been waiting for over 2 years now for this thread title to go back to U/C. If this tenant does choose 2WTC and they prefer the Foster design, this would be the best news of the year, or even of the decade!!!

spidey7312, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old August 1st, 2016, 02:23 PM   #5939
GeoDude
GeoDude

Likes (Received): 206

Blackrock tends to be a bit frugal. Probably why they are one of the few firms looking to grow. If I were to bet, I'd say they go for Hudson Yards. Time will tell!

@Chaserino
Architecture & Travel

USA - Canada - Mexico - Costa Rica - Brazil - Peru - Australia - New Zealand - China - England - France - Netherlands - Spain - Italy - Germany - Monaco - Vatican City - Czech Republic - Hungary - Turkey - Denmark - Sweden - Morocco - Portugal - Switzerland - Greece - Austria - Liechtenstein - Cyprus - Croatia - Belgium - Slovakia - United Arab Emirates - Poland - Ukraine - Romania - Ireland - Malta - Vietnam - Myanmar - Japan - India - Slovenia - South Africa - Zimbabwe - Zambia - Botswana - Israel
GeoDude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2016, 01:39 AM   #5940
baronson

Likes (Received): 714

Yea, I'm thinking Hudson Yards too. 2WTC has some serious competition. The longer it takes to get off the ground, the shorter/less inspired this design will likely become.
baronson no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
200 greenwich st., 2wtc, foster and partners, lower manhattan, new york, nyc, silverstein, supertall, world trade center