daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 3rd, 2016, 03:54 AM   #6001
Nyghtscape

Likes (Received): 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architecture lover View Post
Speaking about antagonism you should check the opinion of some of the people who appear to be the biggest fans of postmodern stuff on these forums, then you'll see a completely new definition for antagonism on a completely new levels and words like atrocity and crimes against the world of architecture so frequently, ofcourse all of this used just to describe everything modern.
I don't remember myself using such words as much as I dislike postmodern.
You say the architecture of the 1950s-1960s NYC was NOT GOOD. Well I say that just before a couple of years New York looked amazing, it had both historical and modern buildings and they looked so good next to each other, these days the city is crowded with postmodern stuff, if it's good or not, I'll leave for the rest of the people to say.
As a practitioner, my personal opinion is that I think that its good that for the first time in well over a century we live in an age where multiple modes of architecture expression can be had. Thirty years ago Robert AM Stern would've been castigated for any of his new towers. They would've cried bloody murder at 15 CPW. I mean Ada Louise Huxtable about had a conniption fit over Johnson's AT&T Building (she came around in time - should also point out Lewis Mumford was no fan of Rockefeller Center and really did not like many of Candela's buildings). Nowadays, there is a vibrant diversity. SHoP Architects is playfully reviving old languages and writing a new book on contemporary ones, David Chipperfield is bringing his brand of restrained modernism to Bryant Park, Peter Pennoyer is holding down the fort doing very historically honest work on the UES, and at the same time you have Bjarke and Jacques Herzog and Foster doing excellent work as well. These really are the good days if you're a design architect. That's why I said the every day practice of architecture and the discourse are on very different pages.

Sponsored Links
Old September 10th, 2016, 09:21 PM   #6002
yankee fan for life

Likes (Received): 195

Quick clip of wtc site 15 years after 9/11.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EKQHxz2u680

Last edited by yankee fan for life; September 11th, 2016 at 07:49 AM.
yankee fan for life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2016, 04:03 PM   #6003
Valkyre

Likes (Received): 86

Is there any chance the original design is going to be built instead of this one?
Valkyre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2016, 04:09 PM   #6004
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

At this point I'm just wondering if anything will get built.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2016, 03:27 AM   #6005
lFer
Nica

Likes (Received): 3661

What!, NOO, Norman foster desing isss much better!

Simón Bolivar

Visitá mi Flickr
lFer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2016, 01:56 PM   #6006
CxIxMaN

Likes (Received): 876

Can they just remove the overhanging bits

Because what makes it look bad is the way it overhangs and makes it look like its leaning

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones

A.Einstein

Public transport is the way to transportation revolution

A MAYOR of Bogota is reported to have said: “A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transportation.”

Enigmatism415 liked this post
CxIxMaN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2016, 06:45 PM   #6007
scraper2293

Likes (Received): 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by CxIxMaN View Post
Can they just remove the overhanging bits

Because what makes it look bad is the way it overhangs and makes it look like its leaning
Can they just remove everything? Lol

I don't like anything about this building no matter how much I look at it. Even just a box or a glass version of the south tower would be nicer. I just wish they could work with or tweak Foster's tower and make it more appealing to other types of tenants.
scraper2293 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2016, 06:24 PM   #6008
Renton12

Likes (Received): 6

original was the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyre View Post
Is there any chance the original design is going to be built instead of this one?
Its been all quiet on the western front since fox pulled out of this project. The original Foster design was my favorite of all the wtc buildings. Sure hope they ditch that newer design. That was as ugly a building I think i've seen design wise.
Renton12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2016, 02:46 AM   #6009
Tommy Boy
MEGATALLS for AMERICA

Likes (Received): 112

I saw on CBS New York I Think last week about the WTC2 and they interviewed Larry Silverstein and he was asked by the reporter when WTC2 will be finished and he said as follow... "At the latest it will be done early 2021 but more realistic spring early summer 2020.
My vision is that I want to have an Grand Opening of Tower 2 for the city and the people on saturday July 4 2020. Thats my goal for now I am working on".

Thats almoust a time span of 20 years and less then 4 years to be finished. Time is running out but hopefully he will "pull it" together, but but back to this. I Think they are eager to find a tenant with econimic muscles who will take WTC2 under their wings so to speak. I just hope that they go with Fosters Design instead of the joke called "Leaning Tower". They can Place BIG:s LT in Hudson yards it could fit there but not in Lower Manhattan in the Finance Center of the World where the World looks on you. The architecture there must be the pinnacle on marvel design and be deserved to be part of the WTC complex.

http://www.twintowersalliance.com/images/Golden_Towers.png

Last edited by Tommy Boy; September 15th, 2016 at 03:06 AM.
Tommy Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2016, 03:05 AM   #6010
weidncol
WTC Enthusiast/Researcher

Likes (Received): 4623

They are currently negotiating with several different companies, and they even have the possbility of a signing by the end of the year. Nothing is official at this point, so just remember that.

Also, it's pretty much guarenteed at this point that the BIG design is staying.
Old September 15th, 2016, 03:22 AM   #6011
scraper2293

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidncol View Post
They are currently negotiating with several different companies, and they even have the possbility of a signing by the end of the year. Nothing is official at this point, so just remember that.

Also, it's pretty much guarenteed at this point that the BIG design is staying.
Ugh, just painful to hear

RIP Foster design.

rákos liked this post
Old September 15th, 2016, 04:13 PM   #6012
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1035

Better a slightly inferior design gets built than a superior one remains in perpetual development hell.

At this point, the new design, while not as good as Foster's, is one that can actually rise sometime this century, completing the complex and improving the site in general.

KillerZavatar, streetscapeer liked this post
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2016, 06:57 AM   #6013
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8232

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeKindOfBug View Post
Better a slightly inferior design gets built than a superior one remains in perpetual development hell.

At this point, the new design, while not as good as Foster's, is one that can actually rise sometime this century, completing the complex and improving the site in general.
lol i thought i was in the Hengqin Headquarters thread. It totally applies here as well though.
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2016, 09:41 PM   #6014
@DalianG.M.

Likes (Received): 296

Reini...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostface79 View Post
BlackRock narrows search for new headquarters office
The investment firm is no longer considering moving its Park Avenue office to 2 World Trade Center

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...o-hudson-yards
@DalianG.M. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2016, 07:13 PM   #6015
yankee fan for life

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraper2293 View Post
Ugh, just painful to hear

RIP Foster design.
It's still just pure speculation? No official word has been made yet?

http://newyorkyimby.com/2016/07/its-...de-center.html

Last edited by yankee fan for life; October 7th, 2016 at 07:22 PM.
yankee fan for life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2016, 10:41 PM   #6016
iiConTr0v3rSYx
Brooklyn Boy

Likes (Received): 2918

Some insight on the controversy with 2 WTC's design.

Bjarke Ingels will build you the tower of your dreams — just don’t ask him to sign the paperwork

Danish architect discusses collaboration, red tape and 2 WTC at New Yorker fest

Quote:
Ingels, speaking with the New Yorker’s Ian Parker, discussed his design for 2 World Trade Center, which he had drawn up with Rupert Murdoch’s News Corp. and 21st Century Fox empire in mind. He envisioned open floor plans and heaps of outdoor space, but with Murdoch out of the picture and Silverstein on the lookout for a new anchor tenant, that design could change.
Still a glimmer of hope for Foster's tower.

Check this guy out for Monthly updates on the WTC.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc3yuNST1YhPioYxJtqJWtQ

MarshallKnight liked this post
iiConTr0v3rSYx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2016, 10:55 PM   #6017
scraper2293

All I got from that article is that BIG's design is here to stay though it my be altered depending on whomever decides to anchor it.

Really, the only way Foster's tower is getting built now is if a specific tenant comes along and wants it, otherwise lower manhattan will be stuck with this thing for eternity
Old October 10th, 2016, 10:56 PM   #6018
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Likes (Received): 2651

Quote:
“I think a lot of aspects of the design have a lot of merit that maybe are more universal than were specific for Fox and News Corp.,” Ingels said. “But I also think that if someone were to show up who had different and highly specific requirements then I think that could also be accommodated.”

Larry Silverstein has indicated he will stick with Ingels’ design, but that construction on the 2.8 million square-foot tower will have to wait until a new anchor is found.

Ingels noted change is always part of the process. After all, Norman Foster was jettisoned even after the foundations had been poured with his design in mind.

“It’s always too early to celebrate in architecture,” Ingels said. “Once that tenant has been found, we’ll know.”
Foster’s diamond-shape design was perfect for a law firm or financial institution but wouldn’t appeal to a media company, Ingels said. In a fairly accurate impression of Silverstein’s voice, he recounted the developer’s concerns that his design would stand out as an “alien newcomer” among the other buildings, which had been designed in tandem by different architects working in the same room of 7 World Trade Center.

“Do I think it’s brilliant? Yes,” Ingels said, assuming a raspy, Silverstein-like cadence. “Do I understand that you’ve done everything that you can to accommodate the needs of your client? Yes. Do I think it fits here? No.”

After the other WTC designers, including David Childs of Skidmore Owings and Merrill, the firm that designed One World Trade Center, gave their blessing, Silverstein approved the design, Ingels said. (Silverstein told The Real Deal a similar version of this story earlier this year.)
It's weird that Silverstein says he'll stick with it even though he himself doesn't think it fits.

Honestly at this point I'd be happy with whatever, just as long as they remove the Orwellian news tickers from the BIG design.
bodegavendetta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2016, 11:38 PM   #6019
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3586

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodegavendetta View Post
It's weird that Silverstein says he'll stick with it even though he himself doesn't think it fits.
Sigh. Sounds like a powerful man in desperate search of an opinion. It'd be a shame if he died knowing the final piece of his legacy at the WTC was a building he didn't even like.

cnbnca liked this post
MarshallKnight está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2016, 09:12 AM   #6020
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3586

I'm repeating (aka, direct quoting) myself from earlier today on the Yimby forums, but this most recent article has me thinking a lot about this tower again:

My problem isn't with BIG's design if we're looking at it in a vacuum. It's not ugly on its own, and it's unquestionably an attention grabber, just like Ingels himself. I think it would look perfect in a location like 50 Hudson Yards, interlocking with the lean of 30HY, or even in Midtown East on one of the Vanderbilt corridor plots (below I've posted a quick Photoshop of what the latter would look like)...

2WTC Vandy by Marshall Knight, on Flickr

But for my money, the WTC calls for soaring verticality and a certain quiet grace. From the North in particular, BIG's tower somehow feels stunted even though it's nearly as tall as 1WTC, due to the squat proportions of those uppermost sections. It's very possible my qualms would mostly be erased if the volumes got taller as the tower rises, instead if shorter.

But more importantly I don't think a loud design that you can't look away from is appropriate for the site (I won't dive into the "leaning" question but the initial reveal of the design made my stomach turn), which is why I'd like to see Foster's design return.

However this article gives me hope that even if BIG's design stays, Ingels could revise this into a quieter, more solemn tower that works harmoniously with the rest of the site.

Tags
200 greenwich st., 2wtc, foster and partners, lower manhattan, new york, nyc, silverstein, supertall, world trade center