daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 11th, 2016, 02:27 PM   #6021
Pohtija
Dragonlike

Likes (Received): 850

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
People who say anything other than this being godawful beyond description are surely on one drug or another.

A single tower may not be able to "ruin" a skyline, but definitely can do a lot of damage to it.
Horrible.. Just horrible.

Even just a simple straight box would be 100 times better than that leaning eyesore..

Sponsored Links
Old October 12th, 2016, 01:02 AM   #6022
Tommy Boy
MEGATALLS for AMERICA

Likes (Received): 112

Is it to rebuild a skyline to add a Leaning Tower as it will be called from now on, from a Danish architecture who doesn't know a shit about New Yorks architecture history of skyscrapers? This is not good. I wouldn't have been opposed to this Tower in other parts of the city say Hudson Yards but this is Lower Manhattan. The Gate to the City, The Windows on the World and Financial District of the World. It should be a first class skyscraper when it comes to the architecture. The best choice would have been to just stick to the Foster design because thats a class act Tower. If not go with a third plan to just begin on Square one again and start over.

So every one who is opposed of this is on drugs?
Well I am a Man of God and a Teetotaler and my Dear Mom would slap my ass silly red if I take any drugs so NO. Love you Mom

http://www.twintowersalliance.com/images/Golden_Towers.png

DeaconG liked this post

Last edited by Tommy Boy; October 12th, 2016 at 06:16 AM.
Tommy Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2016, 05:26 AM   #6023
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

I don't think it's godawful. By way of confession: I am on antihistamines.
Old October 12th, 2016, 01:56 PM   #6024
timfp

Likes (Received): 10

New WTC is just ugly. Such a great city is worth having more attractive architecture.
timfp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2016, 08:48 PM   #6025
uakoops
Sidewalk Superintendent

Likes (Received): 396

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
I'm repeating (aka, direct quoting) myself from earlier today on the Yimby forums, but this most recent article has me thinking a lot about this tower again:

My problem isn't with BIG's design if we're looking at it in a vacuum. It's not ugly on its own, and it's unquestionably an attention grabber, just like Ingels himself. I think it would look perfect in a location like 50 Hudson Yards, interlocking with the lean of 30HY, or even in Midtown East on one of the Vanderbilt corridor plots (below I've posted a quick Photoshop of what the latter would look like)...

2WTC Vandy by Marshall Knight, on Flickr

But for my money, the WTC calls for soaring verticality and a certain quiet grace. From the North in particular, BIG's tower somehow feels stunted even though it's nearly as tall as 1WTC, due to the squat proportions of those uppermost sections. It's very possible my qualms would mostly be erased if the volumes got taller as the tower rises, instead if shorter.
But more importantly I don't think a loud design that you can't look away from is appropriate for the site (I won't dive into the "leaning" question but the initial reveal of the design made my stomach turn), which is why I'd like to see Foster's design return.

However this article gives me hope that even if BIG's design stays, Ingels could revise this into a quieter, more solemn tower that works harmoniously with the rest of the site.
That's exactly the point. The squatness of the top sections is intended to emphasize the horizontality of the overhangs, which are the signature feature of the building.

That being said, I agree that this design is an abomination. And especially at the WTC, where the leaning appearance seems to make a mockery of the tragedy that happened there.

MarshallKnight, Tommy Boy, terpi liked this post
uakoops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2016, 02:49 PM   #6026
Henkka

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by uakoops View Post
That being said, I agree that this design is an abomination. And especially at the WTC, where the leaning appearance seems to make a mockery of the tragedy that happened there.
Kind of strange statement when you consider that Memorial Museum entrance pavilion resembles old WTC tower fallen over.
Henkka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2016, 03:15 PM   #6027
Marsupalami

Likes (Received): 492

If BIGs design is supposed to hark back to the fall of the towers, then I find that offensive, and insincere.
Plus its butt-ugly!

Tommy Boy liked this post
Marsupalami no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2016, 03:16 PM   #6028
Marsupalami

Likes (Received): 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Kind of strange statement when you consider that Memorial Museum entrance pavilion resembles old WTC tower fallen over.
Aye - but that's the place for it - the memorial.
The architectural language allows for it there.

steve1young, uakoops, Tommy Boy, terpi liked this post
Marsupalami no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2016, 03:36 PM   #6029
Enigmatism415

Likes (Received): 169

Nope, still can't get used to it. An upside-down 1WTC would look better.
Old November 6th, 2016, 08:06 PM   #6030
yankee fan for life

Likes (Received): 195

New York skyline 11/6/16

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FWsO6Fd8mE8
Old November 6th, 2016, 08:54 PM   #6031
DubaiM

Likes (Received): 4512

I really can't get used to BIG's proposal

4 WTC, for example, is a masterpiece of architecture - especially at this location.
Maki (the architect) designed the tower to appear calm and quiet. He made the facade extremely reflective in order to make the tower light; hell, sometimes it almost disappears in the skyline. In combination with the minimalistic architecture, Maki created a tower that respects the history of the location.

BIG on the other hand, designed an attention seeking eye sore that tries to steal the visitors attention from the memorial. It's expressive design is very disrespectful and acts like a huge middle finger to the 9/11 memorial. Not to mention that the 2WTC even looks like a falling tower, as if BIG intends to provoke the emotions that people try to digest.
I really like BIG, but this proposal is a big screw-up! Their expressive and radical design philosophy really has nothing to do at this place

Here are some pictures of the 4WTC to show what I mean by a light and respectful design:

---

And this is the dramatic appearance of 2WTC

Last edited by DubaiM; November 6th, 2016 at 10:07 PM.
DubaiM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2016, 03:02 AM   #6032
baronson

Likes (Received): 714

Do you guys (and girls) think BIG's tower would have been received better if the stairs/building were facing the other way?

I originally thought it would have been better received that way, but I kinda like the idea of the tower "climbing" to 1WTC. I think BIG's tower and its effects (like Rogers scrapping the spires on 3WTC to better fit in the redesign) makes 1 WTC shine more. There's a greater deference with BIG's 2WTC to 1WTC than with Foster's 2WTC to 1WTC. I think that was by design. I feel like BIG's tower pays tribute more to 1 WTC (climbing stairs) and Foster's pays more tribute to the memorial (with the slanted diamonds facing said memorial).
baronson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2016, 09:17 AM   #6033
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10282

No. The whole tower is a mess. It looks fat and messy from the North. Basically the only "acceptable" angle is from the Memorial itself. But it would have a very ugly silhouette.

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2016, 01:31 AM   #6034
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31730

I agree, this tower is a big fat mess.

Tupac96, Infesus, CactusLord, Swiddle, Zolee and 4 others liked this post
JuanPaulo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2016, 02:11 PM   #6035
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2617

I just read that Bjarke is working for Hyperloop One designing the first hyperloop for the United Arab Emirates, how did the guy get this status? Surely must be more networking than the quality of his designs?

Swiddle liked this post
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2016, 01:24 AM   #6036
scraper2293

Likes (Received): 200

I actually have nothing against Ingles personally just his design of this particular building and the fact that it's replacing something which was far superior IMO.

Tower Dude liked this post
scraper2293 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2016, 02:07 AM   #6037
michael_n_

Likes (Received): 548

As an outsider, change what you want but complete the ENTIRE project soon, nothing left out, I know it's also market forces, but it is the best thing to complete every single inch and building then we can move on.
michael_n_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2016, 11:38 AM   #6038
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2617

No market forces would have stopped this building and the whole WTC to eventually be fully leased. Without the soon to be decades-dragging bitch fight between Silverstein and the Port Authority we'd likely have a fully completed and leased WTC by now already.

Also, I have something against Bjarke for his ridiculously over-the-top sales pitches trying to present the most mediocre designs as high art. Read what he wrote about that Spiral tower, he makes it sound like the quality of his design exceeds that of the Sagrada Familia, the Taj Mahal and Angkor Wot all put together. And that he actually believes that.

Titan Man, Tommy Boy liked this post
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2016, 04:51 AM   #6039
Grunkfuss the Prius

Likes (Received): 1

To think that 8 years ago, 2 & 3 WTC were just holes in the ground. A few years ago, one of these was at street level and one was a few floors above the ground. Today, one of these still stands at street level, and the other 1,080 feet above ground. I find it funny yet sad. All I hope is that we get a good design (foster's back if lucky) and some philanthropist to be a tenant so we don't have this scar at the corner of the site.
Grunkfuss the Prius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2016, 07:07 AM   #6040
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 588

Honestly 75 percent of Bjarke's designs are ok it's like he tries to oversell the designs that he phoned it in on.

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
200 greenwich st., 2wtc, foster and partners, lower manhattan, new york, nyc, silverstein, supertall, world trade center