daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 24th, 2017, 06:54 AM   #6081
TheIllinoisan

Likes (Received): 538

Bjarke is a hack when it comes to very large structures. I havent seen one tall design of his that was anything more than half-decent. He should stick to projects <150m.

Sainz001 liked this post
TheIllinoisan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 24th, 2017, 08:00 AM   #6082
Miami High Rise

Likes (Received): 2546

When you think of Europe, especially the Nordic countries, you don't think of giant tall buildings.

BLACK DAHLIA, Hudson11 liked this post
Miami High Rise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2017, 10:13 AM   #6083
Martijn1
Martijn1

Likes (Received): 699

That proves what, according to you?
Martijn1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2017, 11:04 AM   #6084
goodybear

Likes (Received): 684

Well, I do not know if an architect should be affected by things like that so much. Of course they should try and make the building appeal to the public, but if Gustave Eiffel would have listened to his critics, Paris wouldn't have the Eiffel Tower. But in this case, I guess it would be the best for Norman Foster's 2WTC design to be built.

KillerZavatar liked this post
goodybear no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2017, 12:50 AM   #6085
JMGA196

Likes (Received): 5135

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodybear View Post
Well, I do not know if an architect should be affected by things like that so much. Of course they should try and make the building appeal to the public, but if Gustave Eiffel would have listened to his critics, Paris wouldn't have the Eiffel Tower. But in this case, I guess it would be the best for Norman Foster's 2WTC design to be built.
Not saying I don't love Eiffel Tower, but instead we'd have a big, beautiful neoclassical monument and we'd all be happy with it. So, in other words, no. Architects should be indeed affected by that. Breaking the order and balance is good 1 in every 100000 cases.

Mimar Sinan - Sebastian Treese - Sejima - Nishizawa - Pawson - Horia Creangă - McKim, Mead & White - Gord Scott - Peter Pennoyer - Charles Hilton - Annabelle Selldorf - Roman and Williams - Morris Adjmi - Diller Scofidio + Renfro

★★★ MAKE ARCHITECTURE GREAT AGAIN! ★★★

Infesus, Crowns n' Spires liked this post
JMGA196 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2017, 12:00 PM   #6086
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1548

Bjarke actually has really cool projects like the Spiral. But his projects work only as stand alone projects. For 2wtc, which is not a stand alone project, it just does not work. But, again, the Spiral is really cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUV4QgpJxrc

dres0ne, Philly Bud liked this post
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2017, 03:29 PM   #6087
scraper2293

Likes (Received): 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Dodd View Post
Bjarke actually has really cool projects like the Spiral. But his projects work only as stand alone projects. For 2wtc, which is not a stand alone project, it just does not work. But, again, the Spiral is really cool:

Agreed. Nothing against Ingles or anything but Foster's tower is the superior design here, plain and simple.
scraper2293 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2017, 05:27 AM   #6088
TheIllinoisan

Likes (Received): 538

Quote:

This is a reasonable assessment. Bjarke really sucks at contextual design. Context is more important at this site than almost any other development sites in the world.
Old February 28th, 2017, 08:30 PM   #6089
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22497

that is my biggest gripe as well.
Hudson11 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2017, 09:15 PM   #6090
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1035

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGA196 View Post
I wonder if Bjarke Ingels is aware of the massive sh¡tstorm his design for 2WTC has received, not only on SSC, which is of course the most important architecture forum online, but in other places. I remember seeing a couple of posts on ArchDaily about it and the comments were flooded with negative thoughts about it. I bet he is indeed aware, in which case I wonder how does he feel about it.
Leaked video shows he's pretty upset about it actually...

Old March 2nd, 2017, 09:25 PM   #6091
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1035

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraper2293 View Post
Agreed. Nothing against Ingles or anything but Foster's tower is the superior design here, plain and simple.
Of course it is. And if this were a design competition for an art galley, he would win hands down. But this building actually has to get off the drawing board, sooner or later. And Foster's tower was too expensive and is the reason 2WTC is a giant hole in the ground.

I mean, it's been ten years since Foster's design was unveiled and 2WTC is no closer to completion. You can pine all you want for some grand design of unquestionable beauty, but in the meantime just about every potential tenant is moving on to midtown and 2WTCs design gets scaled back by the day.

Ingels was brought on to do a job. To design a building that could actually be built. And he has.
Old March 5th, 2017, 12:04 AM   #6092
Enigmatism415

Likes (Received): 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeKindOfBug View Post
Ingels was brought on to do a job. To design a building that could actually be built. And he has.
Yeah, if you're willing to rip up all of the subterranean infrastructure...
Foster's design would be easier to build since that infrastructure was built for it.

Just make it 13 feet taller and it would be gold.
Old March 8th, 2017, 09:03 PM   #6093
JMGA196

Likes (Received): 5135

Quote:
Of course it is. And if this were a design competition for an art galley, he would win hands down. But this building actually has to get off the drawing board, sooner or later. And Foster's tower was too expensive and is the reason 2WTC is a giant hole in the ground.

I mean, it's been ten years since Foster's design was unveiled and 2WTC is no closer to completion. You can pine all you want for some grand design of unquestionable beauty, but in the meantime just about every potential tenant is moving on to midtown and 2WTCs design gets scaled back by the day.

Any half decent architect can make a building that can be built. Maybe Foster's design is too expensive, ok. It's sad but we can understand that. But at least you can replace it with something else that looks good too, right?.

He was also brought to design something that would complete and complement this complex and put the cherry on the cake. Which he hasn't.

There are hundreds of building built/being built in NYC which would fit nicely here. Almsot any building from the Hudson Yards would be great. But among all the possible options, shapes and styles, he had to go for the stack of boxes that is about to fall... for the site were some of the most famous buildings in the world fell.

Quote:
I couldn't care less if he's getting money from this (which he's obviously doing). Success and quality is not measured in dollars.

Mimar Sinan - Sebastian Treese - Sejima - Nishizawa - Pawson - Horia Creangă - McKim, Mead & White - Gord Scott - Peter Pennoyer - Charles Hilton - Annabelle Selldorf - Roman and Williams - Morris Adjmi - Diller Scofidio + Renfro

★★★ MAKE ARCHITECTURE GREAT AGAIN! ★★★
JMGA196 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2017, 09:30 PM   #6094
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22497

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGA196 View Post

I couldn't care less if he's getting money from this (which he's obviously doing). Success and quality is not measured in dollars.
for a developer, yes. Yes it is.
Hudson11 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2017, 11:26 PM   #6095
iiConTr0v3rSYx
Brooklyn Boy

Likes (Received): 2906

Haha, that Zombieland gif. Great movie.

I can 100% say Larry doesn't give a damn about the looks of the buildings anymore. While I still want Foster's building back, I can see BIG's tower being chosen due to the floor space and the outdoor space.

It's just a shame such an 'aggressive' building such as BIG's would be built downtown.

Check this guy out for Monthly updates on the WTC.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc3yuNST1YhPioYxJtqJWtQ
iiConTr0v3rSYx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2017, 11:21 PM   #6096
SkyGuy77

Likes (Received): 2

I dont like the new one the old one looks more like the twin towers from the side
SkyGuy77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2017, 11:22 PM   #6097
SkyGuy77

Likes (Received): 2

the new one looks like steps!
SkyGuy77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2017, 11:10 AM   #6098
goodybear

Likes (Received): 684

Sorry if this has been posted before, but this is an excellent article detailing both designs and why the Foster one wins. Also includes this great GIF for direct comparison of the two. I still haven't lost hope Foster's design will be built and the spires on 3 WTC come back, but, until a new tenant is found everything is unsure. On the positive side 4 WTC is now fully leased which means new tenants will have a higher chance of moving into 2 WTC . (Although 3 and 1 WTC are still not fully leased yet.)

http://newyorkyimby.com/2016/07/its-time-to-bring-back-norman-fosters-design-for-two-world-trade-center.html
goodybear no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2017, 03:14 PM   #6099
Miami High Rise

Likes (Received): 2546

The new one looks a little bigger, more boxy like old ones were, and I like the way the vertical stripes line up with the vent on the other two.

andrei_kob liked this post
Miami High Rise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2017, 05:08 PM   #6100
gooner86

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:

Not a fan of the spiral - to me its another boxy building with a green ribbon around it. There are many more new buildings in NY that are much better IMO.

JMGA196 liked this post
gooner86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
200 greenwich st., 2wtc, foster and partners, lower manhattan, new york, nyc, silverstein, supertall, world trade center