daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 10th, 2017, 05:45 PM   #6121
iiConTr0v3rSYx
Brooklyn Boy

Likes (Received): 2906

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFlint1985 View Post
Guys since the foundations for the very specific design of Norman Foster are already there, I'd say his design has more chances to see the light of day rather than anyone else's.
I'm sorry for going off topic, but I had no idea Desertpunk passed away.

Condolences to his family.

Check this guy out for Monthly updates on the WTC.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc3yuNST1YhPioYxJtqJWtQ

JohnFlint1985, goodybear liked this post
iiConTr0v3rSYx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 11th, 2017, 03:22 AM   #6122
nylkoorB

Likes (Received): 224

I feel like I'm the only one that actually likes the boxy design.
Don't get me wrong, I also love Foster's diamond design too. I'll be happy with either one. I just want it take off already! It's been on hold for way too long.

Mcully56964, @DalianG.M. liked this post
nylkoorB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2017, 05:02 AM   #6123
Mcully56964

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylkoorB View Post
Don't get me wrong, I also love Foster's diamond design too. I'll be happy with either one. I just want it take off already! It's been on hold for way too long.
Your definitely not the only one! I think BIG's design fits very well with the rest of the complex due to all the modifications made to 1wtc and 3wtc. But I would not be disappointed if Foster's came back either.

nylkoorB liked this post
Mcully56964 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2017, 07:16 PM   #6124
BillyLoomis1982

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylkoorB View Post
Not at all. I prefer the BIG design over the Foster one, too.
The Foster tower itself looks nice, but I do think it doesn't fit into the complex at all. The boxy BIG design is imo the perfect design for the WTC. I wouldn't mind though if they decide to cut the leaning effect... but it's not bothering me either.

nylkoorB liked this post
BillyLoomis1982 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2017, 12:21 AM   #6125
Mascalzone
User de Zena

Likes (Received): 15

Hope they redesign this. NYC need a new truly icon. Maybe 600+ meters.
Erzelli Tech Park :: Faro Towers :: Comparto 2 Tower :: MIRA Tower
Mascalzone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2017, 01:07 AM   #6126
baronson

Likes (Received): 712

No way will they will they make 2WTC taller than One.

mrsmartman liked this post
baronson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2017, 09:46 AM   #6127
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1548

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiConTr0v3rSYx View Post

He did? I had no clue.
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2017, 11:26 PM   #6128
Benjamin377

Likes (Received): 95

I wish they would go back to the original design, the one with the four diamond shapes at the top.

scraper2293 liked this post
Benjamin377 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2017, 03:11 AM   #6129
Philly Bud
City Of Brotherly Love

Likes (Received): 246

Hey ... I have an idea!

How about a HYBRID of the Foster and Ingels designs? Stacked diamonds! Maybe they can get Tiffany's and Mitsubishi as tenants!

baronson, tomasCY, nylkoorB liked this post
Philly Bud no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2017, 11:18 PM   #6130
Mottolino

Likes (Received): 35

I hope it will be U/C soon.
Mottolino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2017, 12:57 AM   #6131
BillyLoomis1982

I am wondering if there are no talks at the moment with an possible anchor tennant, or if they keep a low profile to avoid a scenario like last year?! Are talks like these in general strictly behind closed doors and kept secret, or would there be whispers if someone was interested?

nylkoorB liked this post
Old April 20th, 2017, 01:25 AM   #6132
scraper2293

Likes (Received): 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin377 View Post
I wish they would go back to the original design, the one with the four diamond shapes at the top.
YES! A million times YES!

The odds still seem stacked towards BIG's design but if by some tiny miracle they end up going back to the initial proposal I wouldn't even have the words for how excited I would be.
scraper2293 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2017, 04:57 PM   #6133
xing lin
I ♥ HK

Likes (Received): 614

Visually, I think 2WTC is the most important site of the complex. Being separated from the rest by the Transit Hub and the PAC makes it stand out the most from the iconic Hudson angle. If 1 WTC is a minimalist, respectful memorial, 2WTC ought to be optimistic and stand-out, which I think Foster's design suits very well.
xing lin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2017, 01:27 AM   #6134
CharlesSwann

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraper2293 View Post
YES! A million times YES!

The odds still seem stacked towards BIG's design but if by some tiny miracle they end up going back to the initial proposal I wouldn't even have the words for how excited I would be.
A miracle isn't needed. Ingles' design was done specifically for NewsCorp. A bank will be the likely tenant, and they likely will opt for the Foster design for which the foundations are set.

nylkoorB liked this post
CharlesSwann no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2017, 01:30 PM   #6135
BillyLoomis1982

Today I took the time and looked a little closer on the Foster design, and I have to say it grew on me. What I never noticed before are the vertical silver (?!) lines which start at the bottom and reach up to the diamonds. I especially like, that at the base they look like a nod to the tridents of the original towers. The whole base is much more interesting than the boring BIG version.
So I think I would adjust my initial opinion a little and say that the Foster design from the base up until the diamonds is much more appealing to me than the BIG design. But what I can't get my head around is the diamond shape on top. Here I still think it doesn't work well with the other towers.

I'm glad, that I don't have to make the decision. In the end I think it's time they start building this tower (either version), so the back and forth about what should be built there is finally over.
Old April 23rd, 2017, 04:13 PM   #6136
Spocket

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiConTr0v3rSYx View Post

Desertpunk is gone?! I had no idea. So sorry to hear that. A great contributor. RIP
Spocket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2017, 10:12 PM   #6137
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3585

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
I was bored, so I started playing around in Sketchup to see just what one could do within the envelope of the base.
My desktop recently futzed out and I couldn't get Sketchup to cooperate with my laptop, but I decided to take a stab at this using TinkerCAD, since there's not much else to do with 2WTC but wait.

I decided to step back and approach things conceptually, rather than aesthetically, and laid out a few nagging issues with the current designs, as well as issues plaguing the WTC development as a whole:
  • Foster's diamond design, while beautiful, is cut from a different cloth than the other towers.
  • BIG's design is top-heavy (never mind the nauseating teetering effect), and lacks the graceful deference to the Memorial of Foster's.
  • Although the setbacks of BIG's design are more in keeping with the overall master plan, they don't have much specific relationship to the other towers in the complex.
  • Neither design creates much appearance of a "twin" to One WTC.
  • Both designs are single-use, meaning the search for a single massive office tenant has plagued the developer for years.
  • The WTC still lacks a hotel, dedicated restaurant, or residential space of its own.
To answer these issues, I've come up with a massing unlike either Foster or BIG's designs -- really it's kind of a hybrid between 3 and 4 WTC -- that I think has the following advantages:
  • The setbacks and angles of the facades are aligned to match various surfaces of the other three towers (the Northwest facade = the Northwest facade of 1WTC, the upper setback = the upper setback of 3WTC, the East facade = the upper West facade of 4WTC, etc.)
  • The pattern of the setbacks creates a visual pivot point at the NE corner of the site, not unlike the original design for 35 Hudson Yards.
  • The setbacks break up the volume into the tower into multiple programs -- trading floors at the base, large office above that, boutique office above that...
  • And the uppermost volume narrows to an ideal width for a hotel or condos, with a large terrace on the upper setback for an amenity space like a restaurant, residential pool, etc.
  • The inclusion of a hotel or residential component could jumpstart construction without an anchor tenant.
  • The setbacks and the narrow upper volume also allow more light/sightlines into the Memorial area, and preserve sightlines of 1WTC from more angles, especially from the East (where both Foster and Big's designs mostly block it)
  • With a height and width matching the roof of 1WTC, the silhouette viewed from the North is that of a twin.
Obviously this is just a thought experiment, but I think something like this could accomplish a lot of what the developers need and what we as skyscraper fans want. Let me know what you think.

2WTC West Side Highway View 2 by Marshall Knight, on Flickr

2WTC South Streetview 1 by Marshall Knight, on Flickr

2WTC Memorial View 2 by Marshall Knight, on Flickr

2WTC NE View 1 by Marshall Knight, on Flickr

2WTC NW View 1 by Marshall Knight, on Flickr

2WTC Twin View 1 by Marshall Knight, on Flickr

2WTC North Streetview 1 by Marshall Knight, on Flickr

2WTC NW Aerial 1 by Marshall Knight, on Flickr

Last edited by MarshallKnight; April 23rd, 2017 at 10:32 PM.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2017, 11:42 PM   #6138
BillyLoomis1982

@ MarshallKnight
Wow, I just love it. I would buy that right away. This way it fits perfectly into the complex.
I like that:
- the base is not that dominant and massive.
- the shape has so many references to the other buildings.
- the overall appearance is so thin and slender compared to the Foster and BIG versions, which imo take too much of the focus from 1WTC.

The west side highway and south street view look great, but the most appealing to me is the NW view. From this angle the complex looks amazing. Although 7WTC obviously would have an altering impact on the picture... probably a good one.
Twin view 1 is nice also, but in my opinion they are too far apart to look like real twins. I would love to see an angle that's between the "Twin view 1" and the "NW view".
The only view that I don't like is the NE view 1, but that's only because the upper part of 2WTC looks too thin compared to everything else in the complex.

Like I said, I love it, love it, love it!
That's too bad, because from now on I will "always" think "what could have been". Damn, why did you do it?!

MarshallKnight liked this post
Old April 24th, 2017, 04:52 AM   #6139
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 791

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
  • The setbacks break up the volume into the tower into multiple programs -- trading floors at the base, large office above that, boutique office above that...
  • And the uppermost volume narrows to an ideal width for a hotel or condos, with a large terrace on the upper setback for an amenity space like a restaurant, residential pool, etc.
  • The inclusion of a hotel or residential component could jumpstart construction without an anchor tenant.
I've been thinking about this a lot, as well. For some reason, the community - and I believe also the city - did not want the site to have residential or hotels.

I could be wrong, but I remember this having been considered for some of the other developments at WTC.

It would be great if they could go in that direction, though.

MarshallKnight liked this post
phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2017, 09:43 AM   #6140
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Likes (Received): 2651

Nice work, MK. I think what I appreciate most is the deliberate twin appearance from the North view. Twin towers offer a bigger visual impact to me than the descending cascade concept, which works from fewer angles. I'd even include an antenna to further match 1WTC.

MarshallKnight, Zaz965 liked this post
bodegavendetta no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
200 greenwich st., 2wtc, foster and partners, lower manhattan, new york, nyc, silverstein, supertall, world trade center