daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 29th, 2017, 01:07 AM   #6141
dres0ne

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
My desktop recently futzed out and I couldn't get Sketchup to cooperate with my laptop, but I decided to take a stab at this using TinkerCAD, since there's not much else to do with 2WTC but wait.

I decided to step back and approach things conceptually, rather than aesthetically, and laid out a few nagging issues with the current designs, as well as issues plaguing the WTC development as a whole:
  • Foster's diamond design, while beautiful, is cut from a different cloth than the other towers.
  • BIG's design is top-heavy (never mind the nauseating teetering effect), and lacks the graceful deference to the Memorial of Foster's.
  • Although the setbacks of BIG's design are more in keeping with the overall master plan, they don't have much specific relationship to the other towers in the complex.
  • Neither design creates much appearance of a "twin" to One WTC.
  • Both designs are single-use, meaning the search for a single massive office tenant has plagued the developer for years.
  • The WTC still lacks a hotel, dedicated restaurant, or residential space of its own.
To answer these issues, I've come up with a massing unlike either Foster or BIG's designs -- really it's kind of a hybrid between 3 and 4 WTC -- that I think has the following advantages:
  • The setbacks and angles of the facades are aligned to match various surfaces of the other three towers (the Northwest facade = the Northwest facade of 1WTC, the upper setback = the upper setback of 3WTC, the East facade = the upper West facade of 4WTC, etc.)
  • The pattern of the setbacks creates a visual pivot point at the NE corner of the site, not unlike the original design for 35 Hudson Yards.
  • The setbacks break up the volume into the tower into multiple programs -- trading floors at the base, large office above that, boutique office above that...
  • And the uppermost volume narrows to an ideal width for a hotel or condos, with a large terrace on the upper setback for an amenity space like a restaurant, residential pool, etc.
  • The inclusion of a hotel or residential component could jumpstart construction without an anchor tenant.
  • The setbacks and the narrow upper volume also allow more light/sightlines into the Memorial area, and preserve sightlines of 1WTC from more angles, especially from the East (where both Foster and Big's designs mostly block it)
  • With a height and width matching the roof of 1WTC, the silhouette viewed from the North is that of a twin.
Obviously this is just a thought experiment, but I think something like this could accomplish a lot of what the developers need and what we as skyscraper fans want. Let me know what you think.

2WTC West Side Highway View 2 by Marshall Knight, on Flickr

2WTC South Streetview 1 by Marshall Knight, on Flickr

2WTC Memorial View 2 by Marshall Knight, on Flickr

2WTC NE View 1 by Marshall Knight, on Flickr

2WTC NW View 1 by Marshall Knight, on Flickr

2WTC Twin View 1 by Marshall Knight, on Flickr

2WTC North Streetview 1 by Marshall Knight, on Flickr

2WTC NW Aerial 1 by Marshall Knight, on Flickr

WOW! Good job, nice concept.
dres0ne no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 29th, 2017, 09:48 PM   #6142
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Dodd View Post
He did? I had no clue.
there is a thread about it in skybar in North American section.

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2017, 09:30 PM   #6143
spiderman555

Likes (Received): 9

But,CTBUH says that Foster's design is " never completed " and the other design is " proposed " .
spiderman555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2017, 06:41 AM   #6144
Miami High Rise

Likes (Received): 2546

lol CTBUH
Miami High Rise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2017, 09:46 AM   #6145
goodybear

Likes (Received): 687

CTBUH sometimes has weird facts. Right on this topic, according to them the old 2 WTC had a height to tip of 415 meters. Looking at Photos though it included an observation deck with walkways that reached over 425 meters high, and even a smaller antenna that reached 435 meters high, so why wasn't the height to tip changed. And I am still so anxious to hear about news from this tower!!! Even the Chicago Spire site is apparently in the planning stages again for something new (but don't get too excited), and that has been abandone for 9 years now. The way this is going, we might actually see Hudson Yards Phase I and II completed before this resumes.

indu963, BillyLoomis1982, nylkoorB liked this post

Last edited by goodybear; May 1st, 2017 at 10:51 PM.
goodybear no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2017, 10:08 AM   #6146
BillyLoomis1982

Likes (Received): 37

Yeah, that is kinda frustrating. You take a look at Hudson Yards and see they are doing four towers at the same time and here everything takes ages.
But on another thought, maybe it's good for something we don't see right now. Just think about what would be standing in the place of 1WTC if they started construction right away with one of their first approved designs. I love the WTC complex as it is and maybe the time was necessary to get it this way.

goodybear liked this post
BillyLoomis1982 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2017, 02:58 PM   #6147
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 791

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyLoomis1982 View Post
Yeah, that is kinda frustrating. You take a look at Hudson Yards and see they are doing four towers at the same time and here everything takes ages.
But on another thought, maybe it's good for something we don't see right now. Just think about what would be standing in the place of 1WTC if they started construction right away with one of their first approved designs. I love the WTC complex as it is and maybe the time was necessary to get it this way.
Planning for what would eventually become Hudson Yards began in the late 90s/early 2000s, though...

In the end, it all comes down to financing, which ultimately prevaricates on what tenants sign on.

A 2.8-3 million sq. ft. development is not exactly going to go up in a flash. Hudson Yards is largely residential- WTC is largely not. Comparisons between the two are ultimately futile ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BillyLoomis1982 liked this post
phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2017, 03:51 PM   #6148
BillyLoomis1982

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
Planning for what would eventually become Hudson Yards began in the late 90s/early 2000s, though...

In the end, it all comes down to financing, which ultimately prevaricates on what tenants sign on.

A 2.8-3 million sq. ft. development is not exactly going to go up in a flash. Hudson Yards is largely residential- WTC is largely not. Comparisons between the two are ultimately futile ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yeah, you are probably right. Still it "feels" like what I wrote before, at least to me. One place is going up with multiple towers at once and the other is not.

But, as mentioned before I think everything needs it's time and I can absolutely live with the slower progress at the WTC site. Maybe we should look at it this way: with the WTC we can focus more on every single project that is being built. The next goals are the finishing touches of 3WTC and the St. Nicholas Church. When they are finished hopefully the PAC will start to rise and 2WTC will follow soon.
BillyLoomis1982 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2017, 09:04 AM   #6149
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 50739

downtown sunset by Thomas Stürz, on Flickr
Old May 10th, 2017, 10:00 AM   #6150
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22528

whole lotta nuffin'
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2017, 12:07 AM   #6151
iiConTr0v3rSYx
Brooklyn Boy

Likes (Received): 2918

Every time I see a new post in this topic, I get excited, then disappointed again....

Check this guy out for Monthly updates on the WTC.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc3yuNST1YhPioYxJtqJWtQ
iiConTr0v3rSYx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2017, 12:08 AM   #6152
griendt

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiConTr0v3rSYx View Post
Every time I see a new post in this topic, I get excited, then disappointed again....

high-five

iiConTr0v3rSYx liked this post
griendt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2017, 01:03 AM   #6153
baronson

Likes (Received): 714

I like that nothing tall will be built on the PAC site. It allows for 7WTC to still be apart of the complex.

As 3 is finishing up, it's frustrating to not see 2 being built. The gap is so obvious in most pictures now.

nylkoorB, goodybear liked this post
baronson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2017, 12:21 AM   #6154
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Likes (Received): 2651

2WTC being on hold forever is my favorite running joke.

MarshallKnight, goodybear, Zaz965 liked this post
bodegavendetta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2017, 03:46 PM   #6155
TheProdigySkylined

Likes (Received): 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodegavendetta View Post
2WTC being on hold forever is my favorite running joke.
Wonder if Larry will live to see it all finished? He is 85 now. Maybe it is time to freeze him?

bodegavendetta liked this post
TheProdigySkylined no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2017, 03:33 AM   #6156
TallestKidOnTheBlock

Likes (Received): 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
My desktop recently futzed out and I couldn't get Sketchup to cooperate with my laptop, but I decided to take a stab at this using TinkerCAD, since there's not much else to do with 2WTC but wait.

I decided to step back and approach things conceptually, rather than aesthetically, and laid out a few nagging issues with the current designs, as well as issues plaguing the WTC development as a whole:
  • Foster's diamond design, while beautiful, is cut from a different cloth than the other towers.
  • BIG's design is top-heavy (never mind the nauseating teetering effect), and lacks the graceful deference to the Memorial of Foster's.
  • Although the setbacks of BIG's design are more in keeping with the overall master plan, they don't have much specific relationship to the other towers in the complex.
  • Neither design creates much appearance of a "twin" to One WTC.
  • Both designs are single-use, meaning the search for a single massive office tenant has plagued the developer for years.
  • The WTC still lacks a hotel, dedicated restaurant, or residential space of its own.
To answer these issues, I've come up with a massing unlike either Foster or BIG's designs -- really it's kind of a hybrid between 3 and 4 WTC -- that I think has the following advantages:
  • The setbacks and angles of the facades are aligned to match various surfaces of the other three towers (the Northwest facade = the Northwest facade of 1WTC, the upper setback = the upper setback of 3WTC, the East facade = the upper West facade of 4WTC, etc.)
  • The pattern of the setbacks creates a visual pivot point at the NE corner of the site, not unlike the original design for 35 Hudson Yards.
  • The setbacks break up the volume into the tower into multiple programs -- trading floors at the base, large office above that, boutique office above that...
  • And the uppermost volume narrows to an ideal width for a hotel or condos, with a large terrace on the upper setback for an amenity space like a restaurant, residential pool, etc.
  • The inclusion of a hotel or residential component could jumpstart construction without an anchor tenant.
  • The setbacks and the narrow upper volume also allow more light/sightlines into the Memorial area, and preserve sightlines of 1WTC from more angles, especially from the East (where both Foster and Big's designs mostly block it)
  • With a height and width matching the roof of 1WTC, the silhouette viewed from the North is that of a twin.
Obviously this is just a thought experiment, but I think something like this could accomplish a lot of what the developers need and what we as skyscraper fans want. Let me know what you think.

[URL="https://flic.kr/p/TygFj1"]
Someone in charge of something, please see this. It's perfect!!!!

MarshallKnight, Miami High Rise liked this post
TallestKidOnTheBlock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2017, 06:11 AM   #6157
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallestKidOnTheBlock View Post
Someone in charge of something, please see this. It's perfect!!!!
That's certainly not what will think. It may look okay in a shadow view like this but in reality it wouldn't look anywhere as near as good as the original design did/would.
Old May 14th, 2017, 07:10 PM   #6158
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3586

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
It may look okay in a shadow view like this but in reality it wouldn't look anywhere as near as good as the original design did/would.

If I'd meant for anyone to take those mock-ups as a serious alternative to Fosters and BIG, I would've hired a professional renderer. I'm not an architect; I'm just experimenting with some very basic precepts of western design and working from a form-follows-function philosophy to answer a challenge posed in this thread.

Like many here, I would like to see Foster's original design rise (and am heartened by the reports that it's still be on the table). But I also don't think it's egotistical to say I'd much prefer something like these massing models over BIG's offensively bad stack of disaster.
Old May 20th, 2017, 02:35 AM   #6159
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1548

3WTC is almost complete and there is still no news about this?
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2017, 02:48 AM   #6160
iiConTr0v3rSYx
Brooklyn Boy

Likes (Received): 2918

Speaking of tower 3, has any other tenant besides GroupM even lease space in tower 3?

Check this guy out for Monthly updates on the WTC.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc3yuNST1YhPioYxJtqJWtQ
iiConTr0v3rSYx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
200 greenwich st., 2wtc, foster and partners, lower manhattan, new york, nyc, silverstein, supertall, world trade center