daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 6th, 2017, 11:11 PM   #6261
scraper2293

Likes (Received): 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker2009 View Post
While I love the Foster design, I don't mind the BIG design from the west side, I think this tower needs to fit w the rest of the complex and foster's tower just doesn't cut it.
I disagree there, I think Foster's tower fits beautifully with the rest of the complex.

Not only is it stunningly gorgeous but its strong vertical emphasis and the simplicity of the lower section matches the other buildings, especially 1WTC quite well. From the north 1WTC and 2WTC act as sisters and would look almost identical, sans the sloping of Foster's roof. Speaking of the roof, not only would it feature one of the coolest tops of any skyscraper in the city but it also compliments the triangular shapes on 1WTC while giving a perpetual point of reference to the memorial/former site of the twins which I love.

The setbacks on BIG's design may compliment the setbacks on 3 and 4 but it creates a very jagged and asymmetrical appearance which jars with the rest of the complex and isolates 1WTC IMO.

Sponsored Links
Old September 7th, 2017, 12:03 AM   #6262
Lt. H Caine

Likes (Received): 4664

I don't hate BIG's design, but it's just not iconic and doesn't fit with the other towers at all. It's not worthy of holding the title "2 World Trade Center"

EugeneTar liked this post
Lt. H Caine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2017, 04:23 PM   #6263
JohnDee

Likes (Received): 242

Airports are getting improved slowly. Laguardia modernization, JFK RFP in the works..

Bus station will get replaced sooner or later as it's a big issue. More capacity is needed and current one can't sustain that.

WTC2 - I'd go with Foster if I had a choice. ingles is not bad and wouldn't mind if it went up, but it isn't the show-stopper. Too dull from the West. A flat roof is a little boring.

Last edited by JohnDee; September 7th, 2017 at 05:22 PM.
JohnDee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2017, 03:26 AM   #6264
noms78

Likes (Received): 244

Does anyone have any renders of the other 2WTC proposals? So far I have only seen Foster and Ingels...
noms78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2017, 03:30 AM   #6265
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22541

Quote:
Originally Posted by noms78 View Post
Does anyone have any renders of the other 2WTC proposals? So far I have only seen Foster and Ingels...
those are the only two. Any other designs were from the master plan competition and were place holders.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2017, 12:08 AM   #6266
nylkoorB

Likes (Received): 224

I know absolutely nothing about this kind of stuff. When do you guys think we could expect to hear about Deutsche bank's decision, if you were to guess? Or estimate how long these decisions usually take?
Old September 9th, 2017, 05:11 AM   #6267
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1548

It could be six months. There's really no telling.
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2017, 06:40 AM   #6268
Riley1066

Likes (Received): 520

The Port Authority doesn't own any part of 2 WTC.
Riley1066 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2017, 05:46 PM   #6269
iiConTr0v3rSYx
Brooklyn Boy

Likes (Received): 2922

Hopefully the WTC beats out Hudson Yards for a change.

Original image by Joe Woolhead, and edited by Jose Hernandez(Otie).

Check this guy out for Monthly updates on the WTC.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc3yuNST1YhPioYxJtqJWtQ
iiConTr0v3rSYx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2017, 11:16 PM   #6270
sodap0p53

Likes (Received): 33

Is there any realistic chance of the foster design being resurrected with the possible Deutsche Bank deal? I hear that the foundation work for Foster's design is already in place, and re-doing it to accommodate the BIG tower would certainly be a huge cost of money, would it not? Now that Fox is out of the picture, it would make the most sense to go along as originally planned, right? Am I being too wishful in my thinking?

carlos-PE liked this post
sodap0p53 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2017, 11:52 PM   #6271
nylkoorB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodap0p53 View Post
Is there any realistic chance of the foster design being resurrected with the possible Deutsche Bank deal? I hear that the foundation work for Foster's design is already in place, and re-doing it to accommodate the BIG tower would certainly be a huge cost of money, would it not? Now that Fox is out of the picture, it would make the most sense to go along as originally planned, right? Am I being too wishful in my thinking?
Seems reasonable to me. Fosters was designed for financial firms, and BIG was designed for media. I think I remember Silverstein saying somewhere that he'd be willing to go with either one depending on what the tenant wants. I can't remember where I read this, but I'm sure I found it either on here or SSP.
Old September 10th, 2017, 05:54 AM   #6272
tallmark

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiConTr0v3rSYx View Post
Hopefully the WTC beats out Hudson Yards for a change.

Original image by Joe Woolhead, and edited by Jose Hernandez(Otie).
Without exaggeration, the BIG proposal is the most HIDEOUS skyscraper design I have seen. There is not even an attempt at trying to make the pile of building material look appealing.

In New York, I believe we should add to the Landmarks protection commission the ability to reject hideous designs that destroy the landmark skyline of Manhattan. Such an authority would prevent travesties like this to ever be construction in the city. I mean how about just an elementary elegance, never mind beauty?? Who designed this: an crane operator?
Old September 10th, 2017, 07:43 AM   #6273
nylkoorB

Here's an article and video from Fox dated Friday 9/8 about the rebuilding of the World Trade Center complex. There's an excerpt from the article that I found interesting:

http://www.fox5ny.com/news/rebuildin...nter-continues

Quote:
And 2 World Trade, a 2.8-million-square-foot office space, larger than 3WTC, will come last.

"I hope when we're all done here in 2022 at the conclusion of… tower two that people say we've done a good job," Silverstein said.
This was from Friday. And this is the first I'm hearing of a 2022 completion date. Thoughts?

Last edited by nylkoorB; September 10th, 2017 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Fixed spelling
nylkoorB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2017, 03:38 PM   #6274
TheProdigySkylined

Likes (Received): 190

Quote:
"I hope when we're all done here in 2022 at the conclusion of… tower two that people say we've done a good job," Silverstein said.
You didn't rebuild the Twin Towers so no history will not remember you that fondly. But hey Larry at least you can see the Statue Of Liberty from the penthouse of WTC7 eh?
TheProdigySkylined no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2017, 05:39 PM   #6275
NewYorker2009

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylkoorB View Post
Here's an article and video from Fox dated Friday 9/8 about the rebuilding of the World Trade Center complex. There's an excerpt from the article that I found interesting:

http://www.fox5ny.com/news/rebuildin...nter-continues

This was from Friday. And this is the first I'm hearing of a 2022 completion date. Thoughts?
Don't hold your breath, Silverstein has given countless completion dates over the years. I hope the Tower is at least topped out and nearly finished by 2022. I remember many times Silverstein said by 2011-2012 the complex would be finished...
NewYorker2009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2017, 06:33 PM   #6276
nylkoorB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker2009 View Post
Don't hold your breath, Silverstein has given countless completion dates over the years. I hope the Tower is at least topped out and nearly finished by 2022. I remember many times Silverstein said by 2011-2012 the complex would be finished...
True. I remember when 1WTC was going to be completed before the 10 year anniversary of 9/11. I feel like 2022 should be more than enough time though. That's 21 years after the attack. I guess in a way we are still feeling the effects of 9/11. Many Downtown-based businesses and firms have fled Downtown for Midtown since then, and even today it seems Downtown is still struggling to attract or hold onto many big names. Here's hoping 2WTC wins Deutsche bank over Hudson Yards!
Old September 11th, 2017, 03:45 PM   #6277
NewYorker2009

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylkoorB View Post
True. I remember when 1WTC was going to be completed before the 10 year anniversary of 9/11. I feel like 2022 should be more than enough time though. That's 21 years after the attack. I guess in a way we are still feeling the effects of 9/11. Many Downtown-based businesses and firms have fled Downtown for Midtown since then, and even today it seems Downtown is still struggling to attract or hold onto many big names. Here's hoping 2WTC wins Deutsche bank over Hudson Yards!
I hope DB will move into 2 WTC, as long as this project gets finished, it's been too long. It was exciting seeing the rebuilding over the last decade but I've grown tired of it and just want to see the finished product. They really should have just built the podium like they did with Tower 3 and could finish things faster. Tower 3 resumed construction back in late 2014, so 3 years later it's almost completed. Tower 2 has a lot more to do such as do additional foundation work if it's BIG's design that's final. Do some demolition work of the current foundation and above grade structure but keep the Vesey Street entrance into the mall and subways. It would probably be a year or so after construction resumes that the Tower will start to rise, maybe sooner. It will probably take a couple of years to top it out and will take a year to a 1 1/2 years to to do all the internal work. So yeah 2022 is possible. Depends when they get the damn thing started up again...
NewYorker2009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2017, 01:22 AM   #6278
Yackemflaber68

Likes (Received): 180

I think both designs are terrible, imo they need a new design preferably something over 450 meters.

noms78 liked this post
Yackemflaber68 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2017, 04:40 AM   #6279
nylkoorB

Have you guys seen this video yet? I saw this on another forum. It's an interview with Silverstein from today (9/11/17) where he mentions 2 WTC and Deutsche bank, and he cites the 2022 completion date again. It starts around 3 minutes in.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EXVIvHFUr6Y

Pohtija, cincobarrio liked this post
nylkoorB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2017, 04:58 AM   #6280
iiConTr0v3rSYx
Brooklyn Boy

Likes (Received): 2922

Obviously not a confirmation but he does hope to have everything done by 2022. Hopefully his confidence is payed for and he get this over with.

The old man sure does look exhausted. Really hope he can have the last tower rising before it's too late.

Check this guy out for Monthly updates on the WTC.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc3yuNST1YhPioYxJtqJWtQ

nylkoorB liked this post
iiConTr0v3rSYx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
200 greenwich st., 2wtc, foster and partners, lower manhattan, new york, nyc, silverstein, supertall, world trade center