daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 22nd, 2017, 01:14 AM   #6301
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeKindOfBug View Post
The second one. The first design will never be built ever. The second one might not either, but it's the current plan.

I wouldn’t say “never ever” because the foundations are for Fosters design. The main tenant will decide if they want to spend the extra millions to redo or enhance them to build something else.
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 22nd, 2017, 01:15 AM   #6302
Modestas Gailius

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeKindOfBug View Post
The second one. The first design will never be built ever. The second one might not either, but it's the current plan.
Okay good, you're giving me some hope then.
The BIG's design looks like a pile of Legos a seven-year-old stacked, this proposal in todays modern skyscraper era is not only a joke but disrespectfulness, these towers aren't just for the companies to use them they're supposed to represent a strong comeback from a tragic event that New York experienced.
Modestas Gailius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2017, 02:06 AM   #6303
baronson

Likes (Received): 714

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modestas Gailius View Post
Okay good, you're giving me some hope then.
The BIG's design looks like a pile of Legos a seven-year-old stacked, this proposal in todays modern skyscraper era is not only a joke but disrespectfulness, these towers aren't just for the companies to use them they're supposed to represent a strong comeback from a tragic event that New York experienced.
Yes, but in the end, capitalism reigns. No one cares about sentimentality or disrespectfulness. Unless it can be exploited to make money.

Which ironically, this site is a very fitting place for such apathy and ruthlessness. The WTC is capitalism in building form.

DeaconG liked this post

Last edited by baronson; November 22nd, 2017 at 03:15 AM. Reason: Extra word
baronson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2017, 02:50 AM   #6304
Modestas Gailius

Quote:
Originally Posted by baronson View Post
Yes, but in the end, capitalism reigns. No one cares about sentimentality or disrespectfulness. Unless it can be exploited to make money.

Which ironically, this site is a very fitting place for such apathy and ruthlessness. The WTC is is capitalism in building form.
All i know is some people have no taste at all. Hopefully the new tenants overthrow this design.

DeaconG liked this post
Old November 22nd, 2017, 03:54 AM   #6305
steveve

Likes (Received): 157

Quote:
All i know is some people have no taste at all. Hopefully the new tenants overthrow this design.
It’s all about the floor plate, and in this case design #2 is vastly superior more attractive to office tenants. I wish it weren’t the case, as I loved the original.
I do think it’s possible we might get a third design revision, for better or for worse.
Old November 22nd, 2017, 05:38 AM   #6306
Modestas Gailius

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveve View Post
It’s all about the floor plate, and in this case design #2 is vastly superior more attractive to office tenants. I wish it weren’t the case, as I loved the original.
I do think it’s possible we might get a third design revision, for better or for worse.
I don't think it could get any worse.
Old November 22nd, 2017, 06:21 AM   #6307
fashionking

Likes (Received): 29

I hope it stays on hold for another decade... I am not entirely upset with what is there now in relation to the new "world trade center redevelopment"; I don't think 2WTC is even needed and I think anything you put on that site will bring forth the twin tower shape to some degree on the skyline.. no thanks... I like the wider gap like there is now between 3 WTC and 1 WTC..I would let some demand pick up a little bit as well.. there is no way all of those towers are already full..
fashionking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2017, 07:42 AM   #6308
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22541

I disagree. This is the cornerstone building of the WTC campus. Something needs to be built here, something taller than 3 WTC and preferably without a flat top. Foster's design did this perfectly.

Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2017, 05:24 PM   #6309
TheProdigySkylined

Likes (Received): 190

I expect another redesign

schostabur liked this post
TheProdigySkylined no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2017, 09:17 PM   #6310
pascalyellowsmusic

Likes (Received): 4

A spokesperson for Silverstein Properties confirmed the settlement. “We are pleased to have finally reached a resolution to this piece of post-9/11 litigation. We are currently devoting our attention to the ongoing construction of 3 World Trade Center, which we will open in the spring, and to the development of 2 World Trade Center,” he told RT.com by email.

https://www.rt.com/usa/410665-twin-t...rline-lawsuit/
pascalyellowsmusic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2017, 01:11 AM   #6311
scraper2293

Likes (Received): 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveve View Post
How do we know this?

Don't both designs have the same square footage? Plus Foster's design has the benefit of an already existing foundation and lobby level which may have to be totally demolished if BIG's design goes through, costing far more time and resources, not the mention cost.

It seems the more economical and faster option atm is Foster's tower. Anyway, I'm not giving up hope until construction actually begins here.
Old December 3rd, 2017, 12:43 PM   #6312
goodybear

Likes (Received): 687

Also, let's not forget the projected price tag on BIG's 2 WTC is an eye watering 4$ billion dollars. That's even more than 1 WTC. I'm assuming the demolition and rebuilding of the foundations alone could make out quite a difference of that price tag, not to mention the additional steel needed for the cantilevered sections. And, as we all know, price is what determines the outcome of the buildings on this site (*cough* value engineering *cough*).
goodybear no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2017, 09:46 PM   #6313
Modestas Gailius

Yeh it just wouldn't make sense at this point i am expecting a new redesign matching the already existing foundation on site cause this thing is taking way to long already or even better go and continue FOSTERS.

nylkoorB liked this post
Old December 5th, 2017, 03:14 AM   #6314
nylkoorB

Likes (Received): 224

Quote:
Yeh it just wouldn't make sense at this point i am expecting a new redesign matching the already existing foundation on site cause this thing is taking way to long already or even better go and continue FOSTERS.
I don't even have a problem with BIG's design at all but I agree it really makes no sense why they would go through all that extra work and money do undo the already existing foundation. On top of that, the only reason the BIG redesign happened was to suit media companies which ended up backing out anyway.
Old December 8th, 2017, 10:30 PM   #6315
Nino_B

Likes (Received): 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
I disagree. This is the cornerstone building of the WTC campus. Something needs to be built here, something taller than 3 WTC and preferably without a flat top. Foster's design did this perfectly.

or maybe even taller than 1 WTC. The footprint is large enough to comfortably take a 2000 ft bldg.

having the keystone building be the tallest of the set could still be as aesthetically pleasing as the stair step look for the set as currently envisioned.

pablord liked this post
Nino_B no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2017, 10:50 PM   #6316
TheProdigySkylined

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nino_B View Post
or maybe even taller than 1 WTC. The footprint is large enough to comfortably take a 2000 ft bldg.

having the keystone building be the tallest of the set could still be as aesthetically pleasing as the stair step look for the set as currently envisioned.
Yeh I have to agree with that option. Things have changed in the last decade since the plans were finalized. Time to be bold.
Old December 8th, 2017, 11:17 PM   #6317
iiConTr0v3rSYx
Brooklyn Boy

Likes (Received): 2922

No chance they allow a building taller than 1 WTC, on the site.

Should be more concerned with 2 WTC possibly receiving a height decrease.

Check this guy out for Monthly updates on the WTC.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc3yuNST1YhPioYxJtqJWtQ
iiConTr0v3rSYx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2017, 11:36 PM   #6318
mike1115

Likes (Received): 128

The height of 1WTC was also chosen for patriotic symbolism.
mike1115 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2017, 11:44 PM   #6319
TheProdigySkylined

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1115 View Post
The height of 1WTC was also chosen for patriotic symbolism.

Some would say the end of America was in 2016. So how about a 2016ft tower? The start of the story close to the end....

Miami High Rise, pablord liked this post
Old December 9th, 2017, 12:05 AM   #6320
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22541

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiConTr0v3rSYx View Post
No chance they allow a building taller than 1 WTC, on the site.

Should be more concerned with 2 WTC possibly receiving a height decrease.
I think it already has seen one. 1270' is the height listed on the official websites. The sad part about this entire campus is that 3 WTC was originally supposed to be only 30' shorter than that.
3 WTC went from 1240 to 1070. Does that mean 2 WTC will go from its original 1350 to 1180? I'm joking of course, but it wouldn't surprise me at all.
Thank goodness for the 1368-1776 symbolism, otherwise they probably would have built 1 WTC shorter as well.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
200 greenwich st., 2wtc, foster and partners, lower manhattan, new york, nyc, silverstein, supertall, world trade center