daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 28th, 2017, 07:38 PM   #6361
Skylimitone
Tectonic

Likes (Received): 3333

Hate this design so much.
Skylimitone no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 28th, 2017, 08:02 PM   #6362
pascalyellowsmusic

Likes (Received): 5

BIG is a good little Twin Tower!!! Forster Design is 0% a twin tower!!!!! I hate the old design!!!!!!!!!!!!!
pascalyellowsmusic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2017, 08:32 PM   #6363
scraper2293

Likes (Received): 236

Quote:
Originally Posted by pascalyellowsmusic View Post
BIG is a good little Twin Tower!!! Forster Design is 0% a twin tower!!!!! I hate the old design!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BIG's design looks more like a retarded cousin than a twin.
Old December 28th, 2017, 08:41 PM   #6364
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Likes (Received): 26047

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylimitone View Post
Hate this design so much.
Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiConTr0v3rSYx View Post
The only good view IMO is from the memorial and Jersey.
Agreed, I also don't mind this view (below)... the rest is just vomit-inducing!

gl12rra, Saberwolf_99 liked this post
streetscapeer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2017, 09:11 PM   #6365
iiConTr0v3rSYx
Brooklyn Boy

Likes (Received): 2984

Quote:
More like fraternal twin, if you can even call it that. Manhattan West is closest thing you'll get to the original WTC.

Ironically, Foster's original kissing twin towers was also considered for the site.

He just doesn't have any luck Downtown.....

Check this guy out for Monthly updates on the WTC.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc3yuNST1YhPioYxJtqJWtQ

nylkoorB, Zaz965 liked this post
iiConTr0v3rSYx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2017, 09:13 PM   #6366
goodybear

Likes (Received): 773

My main issue with the BIG design is not the setbacks or the shape, but the fact that it looks like it is unstable and about to tip over due to the overhangs. Not exactly the kind of design you'd want for this site, considering the history.
~3-5m, 1fl
goodybear no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2017, 09:17 PM   #6367
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modestas Gailius View Post
Look man these towers aren't just for the companies to use them they're replacing once iconic buildings that supposed to represent a strong comeback from a tragic event that New Yorkers experienced. BIG's design isn't iconic at all and its not just my opinion.

I'd be interesting to make a poll for New Yorkers to choose on which building They'd like to rise, i am 100% certain its the Fosters.
Quote:
BIG's design isn't iconic at all and its not just my opinion.
Yes it is your opinion. And even if it were everybody's opinion (which it isn't) then it would still be an opinion. And it wouldn't change a thing because:

Quote:
Look man these towers aren't just for the companies to use them
That's actually exactly what they are for.

New York isn't a mausoleum. I'd argue it's less respectful to the 9/11 dead to treat whatever gets rebuilt with such unobtainable reverence that decades later there's still nothing on the site but a hole in the ground.

Quote:
they're replacing once iconic buildings that supposed to represent a strong comeback from a tragic event that New Yorkers experienced
Firstly, ask any New Yorker on the street on September 10th 2001 what they think of the WTC and they'd say it was an ugly eyesore and the worst thing about the city. It became iconic because of its central part in a tragedy. And it was respected for its unwavering pragmatism. Not because of its world-beating design.

Secondly, there's nothing more in-keeping with the spirit of the city than new WTC buildings being just as ugly and just as functional as the old ones. An 'ugly box' describes perfectly what the old site represented. If anything, the stylish diamond-crested design by Foster is worlds apart from the tone of the original twins, and not a fitting replacement.

Which is to say nothing of the hypocrisy of suggesting a building that appears to 'topple' is an unacceptable reminder of tragedy, but one that looks like the top half was sheared off is somehow ok. I don't want to delve into the specifics of the WTC collapse but they didn't fall over like tree trunks. That argument is bunk.

Bottom line is this: the empty plot currently there is more of an insult to the dead than another ugly building rising in Manhattan. Every building in Manhattan is ugly. If you want sleek and stylish then go to London or Paris or some other city that has less important things to worry about. New York hasn't got time for that. It's carrying the world's economy on its shoulders. Pragmatism rules, and if some company wants X amount of floorspace for Y amount of dollars, then I say let them have it. We'll grow to love whatever rises on that spot, in time. And if we don't, then hating it with a daily dose of annoyance and regret brings us closer to the people we lost than any fountain or world-class skyscraper design ever could.

gl12rra, Saberwolf_99 liked this post
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2017, 09:24 PM   #6368
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Likes (Received): 26047

Wtf is this entire drivel of a post

Scrapernab2 liked this post
streetscapeer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2017, 03:54 AM   #6369
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 23040

this is my favorite angle. I hate the view from Brooklyn because of how much it obscures Tower 1. The Foster design would have done the same, but a comparison would be enlightening as to how much considering the top of Foster's tapers.

this is the only rendering I know of

Hudson11 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2017, 04:00 AM   #6370
iiConTr0v3rSYx
Brooklyn Boy

Likes (Received): 2984

Wow! 3 WTC was REALLY butchered!

It looks great there.

Check this guy out for Monthly updates on the WTC.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc3yuNST1YhPioYxJtqJWtQ
iiConTr0v3rSYx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2017, 04:04 AM   #6371
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 23040

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiConTr0v3rSYx View Post
Wow! 3 WTC was REALLY butchered!

It looks great there.
1240' down to 1070'
Hudson11 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2017, 06:09 AM   #6372
boss-ton

Likes (Received): 194

They spent the most money of all time to have to make budget cuts and ruin the towers/site. What kind of sense does that make? The 1wtc spire, the 3 wtc cross bracing and spires, 2 wtc is completely ruined. 2 wtc was one of the nicest designs ever created, now it’s trash. Good job guys! How do you spend that much money while half assing the entire site? If your spending billions get it right for Christ sake this isn’t just some random site...
Old December 29th, 2017, 07:18 AM   #6373
Miami High Rise

Likes (Received): 2561

Yeah going by some of the renderings, the ones with more exoskeleton and the four spires, 3 WTC was supposed to be the best of the new towers.
Miami High Rise está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2017, 08:06 AM   #6374
micrip

Likes (Received): 1066

Quote:
The twins are gone forever. Get over it.

We wouldn't want that train wreck even in Baltimore, where it would be 3 times higher than anything else...

Saberwolf_99 liked this post
micrip está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2017, 09:10 AM   #6375
RegentHouse
City Development Shitlord

Likes (Received): 786

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeKindOfBug View Post
Bottom line is this: the empty plot currently there is more of an insult to the dead than another ugly building rising in Manhattan. Every building in Manhattan is ugly. If you want sleek and stylish then go to London or Paris or some other city that has less important things to worry about. New York hasn't got time for that. It's carrying the world's economy on its shoulders. Pragmatism rules, and if some company wants X amount of floorspace for Y amount of dollars, then I say let them have it. We'll grow to love whatever rises on that spot, in time. And if we don't, then hating it with a daily dose of annoyance and regret brings us closer to the people we lost than any fountain or world-class skyscraper design ever could.
Paris maybe, but you're an idiot if you don't think London doesn't have any importance in the world economy, or its own share of half-assed skyscraper proposals.

The bottom line is Foster's 2WTC is superior in all aspects, from how it adheres to the WTC complex master plan with other towers, and its aesthetics. BIG's 2WTC is a careless change made from haste to accommodate a tenant in a deal that went sour, so it's logical to reconsider the former.
Old December 30th, 2017, 01:24 PM   #6376
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 99

Does anyone really know the details of the work required for the BIG tower? I mean, would a simple addition of underground support columns be all that is needed, or would everything have to be removed all the way down? What about the now interconnected mechanicals that we can see functioning at street level today on top of the 2WTC stub. These obviously are needed for the transportation hub and would need a bypass plan.
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2017, 02:06 PM   #6377
goodybear

Likes (Received): 773

http://wtc.com/office-space/2-world-trade-center
On the website there are floorplans where you can see that the lobby will incorporate the foundation of the Foster design. I'm assuming some things will be removed but not everything, in order to save money.
~3-5m, 1fl
goodybear no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2017, 04:17 PM   #6378
scraper2293

Likes (Received): 236

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapernab2 View Post
Does anyone really know the details of the work required for the BIG tower? I mean, would a simple addition of underground support columns be all that is needed, or would everything have to be removed all the way down? What about the now interconnected mechanicals that we can see functioning at street level today on top of the 2WTC stub. These obviously are needed for the transportation hub and would need a bypass plan.
This was posted here around the time FOX News backed out of the deal in January 2016 but it was never officially confirmed. Timing does seem suspicious though...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasK2001 View Post
And I was talking to my friend who works at the World Trade Center, he gave me some information on 2 World Trade Center I copied and pasted all of his replies to what I said but did not copy my replies here's what he said: Yo i got some 2wtc news.. good and bad.. so which one u want first?Ok before I tell u.. this info came directly from the lead foreman. . No rumor or speculation. Got it? Ok so 2 wtc has had some major structural design changes agian.. nobody on the outside knows yet. Well the foundation is getting demolished and redone. Yea down into the basements. Because of core design changes. There's a weird setback in the upper floors that needs foundation changes. Also new column placments are needed for building weight support.. but we knew that already. The bad..Its gonna be another year of foundation work before any core or steel rise. All this news hurt man.. i was anxious for this to rise.. and now another year has to go by before any real progress is done. 3 wtc will be fully topped out before 2 gets off the ground.
The original plan was to incorporate Foster's foundation into BIG's design but now it's anyone's guess as to how much foundation work is really needed here.
scraper2293 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2017, 01:27 AM   #6379
la_parca

Likes (Received): 1053

it is a pity that they have ruled out the design of foster for wtc 2 and eliminated the pinnacles of wtc 3, in addition to wtc 4 already is very common, the only one that stands out is WTC 1, now the complex is see very square comparing it to how it would be before

Source

too much difference

Be4Guate liked this post
la_parca está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2017, 02:44 AM   #6380
Modestas Gailius

Likes (Received): 68

The concepts always look better.
Modestas Gailius no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
200 greenwich st., 2wtc, foster and partners, lower manhattan, new york, nyc, silverstein, supertall, world trade center