daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 7th, 2009, 10:20 PM   #121
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1028

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnobsemajdnob View Post
Tower 2 will be one of the most beautiful supertalls in the world. It's a building that could be built only in Shanghai. The unusual circumstances of 9/11 are the only reason why it's being built in NY.
Wait, huh? What the **** are you talking about?

Sponsored Links
Old December 7th, 2009, 11:04 PM   #122
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

well, i think he means that such towers as 2WTC aren't going to be built in NYC for a long time, see 'the battle over tower verre'. only because of the destruction of the old WTC towers, this tower will be built - in short: it's a replacement. and about shanghai: it's the city where futuristic skyscrapers (like 2WTC) are at home.
Old December 8th, 2009, 12:39 AM   #123
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Quote:
Tower 2 will be one of the most beautiful supertalls in the world. It's a building that could be built only in Shanghai. The unusual circumstances of 9/11 are the only reason why it's being built in NY.
why doing you have to say dumb shit like that. Its design for New York and nowhere else. Before 9/11 we had 4 supertalls and now we have 4 again.there will be more to come
Old December 8th, 2009, 01:03 AM   #124
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

Quote:
I agree, it's a special design. And I think Roger's tower is even better. They're a great pair. I wouldn't have expected a project so ambitious usually, it's a shame it had to come about through those circumstances.

And I love the render with the Statue of Liberty in it. A really good 'f*** off' to the terrorists.
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 01:11 AM   #125
WiGgLz01
BANNED

Likes (Received): 64

what i dont get is why the hell did the first ones collapse in the first place? i thought the only way to melt steel was by a closed firebox used by forgers or by thermite? and how did it come down in such a short amount of time that was the equivelent of just dropping an object in the middle of the air? wouldnt the 75 floors or so below where the plane hit have at least some resistence at all? i know a lot of questions it just doesnt seem like the wtc collapse was even scientifically feasible.
WiGgLz01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 01:34 AM   #126
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiGgLz01 View Post
what i dont get is why the hell did the first ones collapse in the first place? i thought the only way to melt steel was by a closed firebox used by forgers or by thermite? and how did it come down in such a short amount of time that was the equivelent of just dropping an object in the middle of the air? wouldnt the 75 floors or so below where the plane hit have at least some resistence at all? i know a lot of questions it just doesnt seem like the wtc collapse was even scientifically feasible.
I'm going to nip this in the bud.

Steel doesn't have to melt to lose its strength.

It didn't drop at free fall speed. Pull up a raw video and record the time for yourself.

Lastly, keep this kind of trash out of this thread.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 01:38 AM   #127
WiGgLz01
BANNED

how is it trash? i was simply asking questions!

in terms of the melted steel, there was a lot of it at the ground level, for even weeks after the disaster. of corse steel can become less stable as it is heated up, but again it did in fact melt. have a look:

sure of corse it could have been photoshopped, but really try to explain to me how exactly this thing could have happened!

Last edited by WiGgLz01; December 8th, 2009 at 01:45 AM.
Old December 8th, 2009, 04:24 AM   #128
romanamerican

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:

in terms of the melted steel, there was a lot of it at the ground level, for even weeks after the disaster. of corse steel can become less stable as it is heated up, but again it did in fact melt. have a look:

sure of corse it could have been photoshopped, but really try to explain to me how exactly this thing could have happened!
Not to be offensive or anything, but guys like you are the center of a good quantity of jokes at my department ( Civil Engineering, specializing in Structural Engineering). You can ask yourself all the questions you want, but if you don't have the knowledge to answer them, you are going to have to believe what the people that have it, tell you. That is, not those pathetic conspiracy theories website, but people a structural engineer, and possibly an advanced BC grad (sometimes also MSE's, but only regarding the dynamics involving the steel and not the entire structure).
The rest is just.... ignorance.

As for the tower: I have to agree with those who are in love with the design: it has been my favorite since the beginning. Truly gorgeous. Hope the rest of the way goes smoothly enough to see this beauty done in a timely manner.
romanamerican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 04:45 AM   #129
meh_cd

Quote:

Your first picture isn't even steel, and it certainly isn't thermite like the filename suggests it is. For years people speculated that it was aluminum from the plane that was streaming out of that corner of Tower 2, but someone recently figured it out. In that exact corner of that floor there was a modification listed for "UPS." People assumed it meant the shipping company UPS, but it turns out that it was an Uninterruptible Power Supply for Fuji Bank. The molten metal dripping down the side of the building is lead.

http://11-settembre.blogspot.com/200...r-of-wtc2.html

Your second picture shows molten metal* some time after the collapse. That has no bearing on what caused the building itself to fall down.

*How do we even know if it is steel? We don't.

Last edited by meh_cd; December 8th, 2009 at 11:16 PM.
Old December 8th, 2009, 06:25 AM   #130
WiGgLz01
BANNED

I see. Well it cleared up some of it, I guess...
Old December 8th, 2009, 03:18 PM   #131
Viperfreak2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 48

This thread is about the construction of WTC2.

Not "I was simply asking questions". That is no excuse for turning this thread into a debate about why the towers fell. Watch a documentary, then go to a site devoted to that topic. Can it be any more clear?
Viperfreak2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 06:26 PM   #132
ronsmytheiii

Likes (Received): 1

Please delete, wrong thread sorry

Last edited by ronsmytheiii; December 8th, 2009 at 06:32 PM.
ronsmytheiii no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 07:45 PM   #133
C30

Likes (Received): 284

Quote:
I believe that the foundation is done and is ready for the tower to rise.
That is true, but what interested me was when crews will assemble and start rock-blasting.(There probably isn't an exact answer to this question yet.)
C30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 10:54 PM   #134
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1028

Uh no, there is no foundation at the 2WTC site. There isn't anything. Just dirt.
Old December 9th, 2009, 05:00 AM   #135
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

why did someone ask why the WTC fell. I guest u didnt see it someone took a plane and smash it into it. Learn something know didnt u not really
Old December 9th, 2009, 05:06 AM   #136
Rise To The Top
Future CiE and Architect

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
I couldn't agree with you any more. Very rare that NYC gets something special like 2WTC. It would definitely fit in in Lujiazui.
Rise To The Top no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 07:28 PM   #137
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

new renders!!

NYguy, SSP

Old December 16th, 2009, 08:17 PM   #138
AUTOTHRILL
chill

Likes (Received): 1939

so whats the chances of this tower getting built?
Old December 16th, 2009, 11:53 PM   #139
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

^ 63.4572%

But really you'll find out at the end of the month with the wrap up of the arbitration.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2009, 12:11 AM   #140
meh_cd

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinarulez View Post
new renders!!
Not to be harsh, but none of those are new. http://www.wtc.com/media/images/wtc-model-shots

Last edited by meh_cd; December 17th, 2009 at 01:57 AM.

Tags
200 greenwich st., 2wtc, foster and partners, lower manhattan, new york, nyc, silverstein, supertall, world trade center