daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 29th, 2011, 11:42 AM   #1461
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

image hosted on flickr

WTC Site 2011 by speric, on Flickr
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 29th, 2011, 08:02 PM   #1462
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

I just hope that it will be impossible for cars to go below the buildings. Car bombs are a very real threat. I really hope they won't underestimate it.
Old September 29th, 2011, 08:28 PM   #1463
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1028

I'm pretty sure this complex was built with more attacks in mind than you could even imagine. Zen once told me that there were security features so secret that they were detailed in their own special set of prints.
Old September 29th, 2011, 09:03 PM   #1464
isdmd10

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
I just hope that it will be impossible for cars to go below the buildings. Car bombs are a very real threat. I really hope they won't underestimate it.
I wouldn't worry because I'm sure that's the first thing they thought of, especially considering that was the nature of the first attack. That's also one of the original reasons the first 20 floors were built as a rather formidable-looking bunker.
isdmd10 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2011, 09:53 PM   #1465
Kanto
Roof height crusader

I always wondered why they didn't make such concrete bunker bases for the other towers too. All of the WTC towers need to be as safe as possible in my opinion.
Old September 29th, 2011, 10:33 PM   #1466
Hull

Likes (Received): 15

Kanto you should of watched rising, rebuilding ground zero. No vehicle will be able to get even close to the towers without going through tough chemical and physical checks in the new vehicle security building which is also heavily re-enforced.

Please don't show you worry about terrorism, it is a big threat but if we keep on acting as if we are scared, that in a way is success for the terrorists. We have learnt a lot since that dark day in hope that we never see anything like that again. nothing will be done or built if we carry on thinking in fear.
Hull no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2011, 10:44 PM   #1467
Kanto
Roof height crusader

I think we should always think for the worst. Chemical and physical checks are good but there should be a backup security measure if for some reason they would fail. I think they should have made it impossible for cars to get below the buildings.
Old September 29th, 2011, 10:49 PM   #1468
Hull

That would prove impractical for deliveries and more importantly emergency services!
Old September 29th, 2011, 11:02 PM   #1469
Kanto
Roof height crusader

That's true, though it would prove safer and safety is in my opinion more important than deliveries and emergency services.
Old September 29th, 2011, 11:12 PM   #1470
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Quote:
That's true, though it would prove safer and safety is in my opinion more important than deliveries and emergency services.
Without delivery services these buildings would not be practical. Offices rely on all sorts of delivery services (mail, food, supplies). Without that, the buildings are useless. No system is infalliable, especially when human beings are involved. No one is perfect.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2011, 11:22 PM   #1471
Kanto
Roof height crusader

The loading ramps could be next to the building (in the underground) and the crates and boxes could be carried into the building itself by an escalator similar to those used in factory assembly lines (that is, if that's still called an escalator). This way there would be two checks. The check of the vehicle at the security center and the check of the cargo in the loading ramps
Old September 29th, 2011, 11:24 PM   #1472
zapor1

Likes (Received): 31

There's more to it then you think Kanto....
zapor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2011, 11:28 PM   #1473
Hull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto
Agreed with the statement below there has to be a line between practicality and safety.
And how can you say anything is more important then emergency services?
Old September 29th, 2011, 11:31 PM   #1474
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Structural integrity is far more important than emergency services. Countless lives could have been saved in 9/11 if the Twins didn't collapse.
Old September 30th, 2011, 12:21 AM   #1475
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Quote:
The loading ramps could be next to the building (in the underground) and the crates and boxes could be carried into the building itself by an escalator similar to those used in factory assembly lines (that is, if that's still called an escalator). This way there would be two checks. The check of the vehicle at the security center and the check of the cargo in the loading ramps
That would be practical for a small three or four story office building. But not supertalls like the ones the WTC has. Also were forgetting all the retail stores the site will have as well. Hundreds of vechicles will be delivering goods every week to the WTC. What your talking about is completely totally utterly impractical.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2011, 01:17 AM   #1476
Kanto
Roof height crusader

It's true that it's very impractical for the retail areas. I think they shouldn't have made retail areas directly under the buildings.
Old September 30th, 2011, 01:18 AM   #1477
WTCNewYork

Likes (Received): 18

Looks like the B2 level is about to be done and they will move on to the B1 level.
WTCNewYork no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2011, 01:24 AM   #1478
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTCNewYork View Post
Looks like the B2 level is about to be done and they will move on to the B1 level.
Already workin' on it..Soon to be done..
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2011, 03:42 AM   #1479
isdmd10

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Structural integrity is far more important than emergency services. Countless lives could have been saved in 9/11 if the Twins didn't collapse.
Not quite. A far more common threat are the thousands of desk workers in these towers and all over the country who all too often these days have medical problems that lead to complications like dyspnea, cardiac infarctions, diabetic emergencies, etc. Given that there will likely be upwards of 40,000 people doing business in this complex on a given day, early access will be key in saving lives on a consistent basis.

Also consider the benefit of having multiple access points in the worst-case scenario event like a repeat of the '93 bombing.
isdmd10 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2011, 05:49 AM   #1480
The tallest building

Likes (Received): 5

is 2 WTC still just at street level or have they gone to over ground construction?
The tallest building no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
200 greenwich st., 2wtc, foster and partners, lower manhattan, new york, nyc, silverstein, supertall, world trade center