daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers Discussions of projects under construction between 200-299m/650-999ft tall.
» Proposed Skyscrapers

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 28th, 2016, 08:45 PM   #221
lovecities888

Likes (Received): 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57th&1st View Post
Had a meeting in a room with a pretty great view today - this is going to be spectacular:

It really does look spectacular, however, I wish it was over 1000 feet tall. Too bad it isn't. Just my opinion.

Sponsored Links
Old July 28th, 2016, 10:10 PM   #222
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3593

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecities888 View Post
It really does look spectacular, however, I wish it was over 1000 feet tall. Too bad it isn't. Just my opinion.
I hear you. I really miss the original Transbay master plan, which would've been much taller across the board. But that's San Francisco for you.

baisaroff, Zaz965 liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2016, 12:35 AM   #223
lovecities888

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
I hear you. I really miss the original Transbay master plan, which would've been much taller across the board. But that's San Francisco for you.

Now this would have been great. Too bad all the buildings going up or will be built will not be over 1000 feet tall except the Salesforce Tower.
lovecities888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2016, 09:15 PM   #224
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Likes (Received): 10272

I took this photo yesterday with my phone to show the rather Blade Runner-esque street scene developing around these buildings (Salesforce Tower, TransBay Terminal and 181 Fremont):

Munwon, spidey7312 liked this post
Cal_Escapee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2016, 09:27 PM   #225
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Quote:
Now this would have been great. Too bad all the buildings going up or will be built will not be over 1000 feet tall except the Salesforce Tower.
On the positive side, I prefer the new design for the Oceanwide Center (aka 50 First St) even if it is a bit shorter. I'm not a fan of pencil-thin very tall buildings, especially in earthquake country. And I think the over-all skyline effect will be nearly as pictured. You would only really notice the 200 ft of missing height if you compared images side by side (and meanwhile the parks and squares won't be shaded which was the reason for trimming the height).

Regarding the shading, people not familiar with San Francisco don't understand the importance of sunlight here. While the rest of America is baking under "heat domes", San Francisco is in the 60s F and considers itself lucky not to be under a fog bank as well (July and August are the foggiest months). When we have warm, sunny days, we want places to go and enjoy them not shaded by tall buildings.

Also, in Asia (other than in Hong Kong) many of the tallest new buildings seem to be in park-like settings surrounded by a lot of open space. In San Francisco, in the North American tradition begun by New york and Chicago, they are in dense, crowded settings with a continuous street wall. SF's streets are even narrower than those of the 2 others mentioned. The effect of exceptionally tall buildings lining both sides of streets really is wind-tunnel and cavern like (see my photo above). I'm not presenting this as an argument against such buildings (I'm largely for them) but as an explanation about why those opposed so often carry the day politically.

cnbnca, Zaz965 liked this post
Old July 30th, 2016, 12:50 AM   #226
lovecities888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal_Escapee View Post
On the positive side, I prefer the new design for the Oceanwide Center (aka 50 First St) even if it is a bit shorter. I'm not a fan of pencil-thin very tall buildings, especially in earthquake country. And I think the over-all skyline effect will be nearly as pictured. You would only really notice the 200 ft of missing height if you compared images side by side (and meanwhile the parks and squares won't be shaded which was the reason for trimming the height).

Regarding the shading, people not familiar with San Francisco don't understand the importance of sunlight here. While the rest of America is baking under "heat domes", San Francisco is in the 60s F and considers itself lucky not to be under a fog bank as well (July and August are the foggiest months). When we have warm, sunny days, we want places to go and enjoy them not shaded by tall buildings.

Also, in Asia (other than in Hong Kong) many of the tallest new buildings seem to be in park-like settings surrounded by a lot of open space. In San Francisco, in the North American tradition begun by New york and Chicago, they are in dense, crowded settings with a continuous street wall. SF's streets are even narrower than those of the 2 others mentioned. The effect of exceptionally tall buildings lining both sides of streets really is wind-tunnel and cavern like (see my photo above). I'm not presenting this as an argument against such buildings (I'm largely for them) but as an explanation about why those opposed so often carry the day politically.
Very insightful. I don't know much about all the stuff you mentioned but it is interesting. I just overreact to things. Lol! I hope Salesforce Tower is finished by 2017 instead of 2018. I can't wait till it is done.
Old August 2nd, 2016, 05:31 AM   #227
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Remember back when they spent over a year digging the foundations for this building and some people here were complaining about how long it was taking?

Turns out there was a reason:

Quote:
SF’s landmark tower for rich and famous is sinking and tilting
By Matier & RossAugust 1, 2016 Updated: August 1, 2016 8:49am

The Millennium Tower, a leading symbol of San Francisco’s new high-rise and high-end living, is sinking — setting the stage for what could be one of the most contentious and costly real estate legal battles the city has ever seen.

Rated by Worth magazine as one of the top 10 residential buildings in the world, the Millennium at 301 Mission St. is home to such A-listers as Joe Montana and Hunter Pence. Until his recent death, it’s where venture capitalist Tom Perkins owned a penthouse. Condos sell for anywhere from $1.6 million to north of $10 million.

However, since its completion in 2008, the 58-story building has sunk 16 inches, according to an independent consultant hired to monitor the problem. It has also tilted 2 inches to the northwest.

“That’s significant ... and of concern,” said Professor Greg Deierlein, director of the John A. Blume Earthquake Engineering Center at Stanford University, who has been called in to evaluate the designs of a couple of San Francisco’s newer downtown high-rises.

Deierlein noted that the 88-story Petronas Twin Towers in Malaysia — which were the world’s tallest buildings when they opened in 1998 — have sunk less than 3 inches. Their tilt, or “differential settlement,” is less than half an inch.

This isn’t just an issue for the Millennium’s owners and wealthy inhabitants: It could be a headache for taxpayers as well. There are potentially big public dollars at stake, with the owners alleging that the massive hole dug next door for the new Transbay Transit Center is to blame for the building’s issues.

The problem first came to light in 2010 when the Transbay Joint Powers Authority, the public agency constructing the transit center, hired the consulting firm Arup to gauge how the excavation could affect the tower.

According to the consultant’s initial report, by the time excavation began — two years after the $350 million Millennium was completed — the tower had already settled 10 inches. That was 4 inches more than its builders had predicted for the life of the high-rise.

Since then, “the building has continued to settle vertically . . . ."
http://sfist.com/2016/08/01/millenni...transbay_c.php

This building is a block away from 181 Fremont and the local NBC affilitate is reporting 181 architects Heller Manus knew about the problems at the Millenium Tower and did some redesign work on 181 to prevent similar issues. One also has to wonder if this has something to do with 181 being all-steel which is unusual for local residential buildings whch are more commonly reiniforced concrete as is the Millenium Tower.

spidey7312, cnbnca, Zaz965 liked this post
Old August 3rd, 2016, 05:50 AM   #228
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Well that doesn't sound good.

I know skyscrapers move around a bit and I think a tiny amount of sinking or leaning is normal (I believe the Petronas towers are reported to have sunk and tilted a bit) but that building is relatively new and that seems like quite a bit. I wonder how they'll go about fixing that...

And of course I hope it doesn't fall over onto Salesforce

spidey7312, Zaz965 liked this post
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2016, 11:20 AM   #229
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

^They claim it isn't structually significant and the building is in no danger but now it could be involved in litigation lasting years and lenders often won't lend to buildings that are in court plus who will want to buy there?

Anyway:

Quote:
The powers that be wanted to make it clear that, unlike the Millennium Tower, the 54-story high rise (at 181 Fremont) is drilled into bedrock.

“Engineered by leading global firm ARUP and anchored by the deepest construction shafts ever drilled in San Francisco, measuring over 260 feet down into the bedrock, the state-of-the art steel and glass tower will respond to wind forces as well as seismic events in an optimal way, maximizing owner safety and well-being,” said Jay Paul Company in a written statement.

The new building also features an aluminum exoskeleton structural support system that acts like one big shock absorber incase of seismic activity. In other words, 181 Fremont will reportedly, and hopefully, stand up to a major quake.

Jay Paul Company adds, “A series of sub-foundation viscous dampers allow for a completely elastic super structure, with plumbing and electrical lines given enough flexibility to move without disruption.”

As reported, the Millennium reportedly cut costs during construction by not drilling piles into bedrock. Much of Yerba Buena is on landfill that goes over San Francisco’s original shoreline. This has, in part, caused the tony tower to both tilt and sink a jarring 10 inches since its 2009 completion.

181 Fremont construction behind the Millennium Tower.
http://sf.curbed.com/2016/8/2/123457...ng-181-fremont

sweazeycool, Zaz965 liked this post
Old August 4th, 2016, 11:55 AM   #230
chris lewis

Likes (Received): 19

This leaning building in San Francisco is making the headlines world wide.

Interestingly other reports have the tilt at 15 inches.

''The 58-storey tower, built in 2008, has sunk 40 centimetres [16 inches]
into the ground but is also leaning 38 centimetres [15 inches] to the west.

Read more: http://www.newshub.co.nz/world/that-...#ixzz4GLrIMD4n
Old August 7th, 2016, 09:50 PM   #231
612bv3

Likes (Received): 101

Yesterday afternoon

Untitled by TJ Perez, on Flickr

Munwon, oscillation, spidey7312, Zaz965 liked this post
612bv3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2016, 11:01 PM   #232
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris lewis View Post
This leaning building in San Francisco is making the headlines world wide.

Interestingly other reports have the tilt at 15 inches.

''The 58-storey tower, built in 2008, has sunk 40 centimetres [16 inches]
into the ground but is also leaning 38 centimetres [15 inches] to the west.

Read more: http://www.newshub.co.nz/world/that-...#ixzz4GLrIMD4n
The lean is apparently to the northwest which is, interestingly (and not so good for the residents' lawsuit), AWAY from the construction site which is adjacent to the south and covers 2 more blocks to the west. In other words, the lean is at an angle but mostly away from the excavation--and also it began before the excavation.

Also, er, if it ever does topple it will miss the 2 new neighoring towers (Salesforce and 181 Fremont--but it might crush the recently completed 350 Mission tower which is also occupied by Salesforce.com).

Last edited by Cal_Escapee; August 7th, 2016 at 11:07 PM.
Old August 8th, 2016, 08:51 AM   #233
612bv3

Likes (Received): 101

Different angles

Eddie55, spidey7312, Zaz965 liked this post
612bv3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2016, 07:07 PM   #234
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
The lean is apparently to the northwest which is, interestingly (and not so good for the residents' lawsuit), AWAY from the construction site which is adjacent to the south and covers 2 more blocks to the west. In other words, the lean is at an angle but mostly away from the excavation--and also it began before the excavation.

Also, er, if it ever does topple it will miss the 2 new neighoring towers (Salesforce and 181 Fremont--but it might crush the recently completed 350 Mission tower which is also occupied by Salesforce.com).
Let's just hope there isn't an earthquake

This sort of reminds me back in the 80's (I think) when the Citicorp center in NYC was in danger of falling down and workers went in and welded new steel etc. I wonder if they'll do anything for this one since the magnitude of leaning sounds rather serious.

Anyways back on topic this building is looking amazing!
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2016, 10:07 PM   #235
hotwheels123

Likes (Received): 316

New Photos Capture Views From 181 Fremont

Quote:
Designed by Heller Manus Architects for the Jay Paul Company, the 54-storey residential mixed-used tower currently on the rise in the South of Market (SoMa) neighbourhood of downtown San Francisco is set to transform the local skyline. Recent images from our Forum reveal the rate of progress, with significant exterior glass cladding now in place, revealing how the structure will appear upon completion in 2017.
hotwheels123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2016, 02:36 AM   #236
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Taken today by me:

spidey7312, Munwon, streetscapeer liked this post
Old August 12th, 2016, 06:11 AM   #237
lovecities888

Quote:
Taken today by me:

Awesome photos. Looks like it will "top out" fairly soon.

Munwon liked this post
Old August 14th, 2016, 06:16 AM   #238
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 50838

August 12, 2016

salesforce tower going up, scott richard by torbakhopper, on Flickr

salesforce tower going up, scott richard by torbakhopper, on Flickr

SHADOW CANYON LORDS & the rise of the salesforce tower and the transit center, scott richard by torbakhopper, on Flickr

SHADOW CANYON LORDS & the rise of the salesforce tower and the transit center, scott richard by torbakhopper, on Flickr

181 fremont building going up, scott richard by torbakhopper, on Flickr

spidey7312, Munwon, streetscapeer liked this post
Oasis-Bangkok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2016, 10:54 AM   #239
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Quote:
Looks like it will "top out" fairly soon.
Looks to me like it has about 12 floors to go plus the ornamental crown which is about 3 floors tall--so about 15 floors plus a spire. How quickly they will get that up I can't say. The next 12 floors are the same--nothing to break the rhythm of construction--so I'd guess they go up pretty fast. They could then pause a while before adding the crown and spire . . . or not.
Old August 23rd, 2016, 09:45 PM   #240
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31829

This tower is going to be stunning!
JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
181 fremont st. transbay, san francisco