daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers Discussions of projects under construction between 200-299m/650-999ft tall.
» Proposed Skyscrapers

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 18th, 2011, 04:28 PM   #21
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 99

Can someone snap a picture of the building site? Or point to it on GoogleEarth?
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 19th, 2011, 06:29 PM   #22
hellrazor650

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
post a source, or your thread will be closed
I will not be led to believe that because i posted the first thing that this is "my" thread...i dont know or care how to update that sorry
hellrazor650 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 01:40 AM   #23
techniques1200s

Likes (Received): 504

The proposal is still alive, but as has been mentioned it's been shortened to 700 feet and 54 floors. Some new renderings were just released:

http://sksinvestments.com/properties/181-fremont/

techniques1200s no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 06:51 AM   #24
sweet-d

Likes (Received): 265

I really like that render it fits perfectly into San Francisco's skyline.
sweet-d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 06:57 AM   #25
Diego_Sls
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet-d View Post
I really like that render it fits perfectly into San Francisco's skyline.
IDEM
Diego_Sls no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2012, 06:59 AM   #26
techniques1200s

This project just took a sizable step towards getting built, as the SF planning commission just approved the transbay district plan, which among other things raises the 350 foot height limit on the site for this building to 700 feet. Now it's up to the board of supervisors to give the final approval.
Old May 27th, 2012, 12:32 AM   #27
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53485

The developer should try to make the spire more robust and taller. Weren't they really more concerned about shadows cast by the tower's bulk than its tallest height?
Old May 27th, 2012, 01:41 AM   #28
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Likes (Received): 10283

As mentioned above, the new TransBay Transit District heighT limitS were approved by the Planning Commission. These are they:

Quote:
http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...er_plan_u.html

Thus, at 700 feet it's as tall as the new plan allows (which is undoubtedly why they shortened it).

With these heights, the shaddows fall like this:

Quote:

Shadow effects of the draft Plan were analyzed by computer generation of shadows that would be cast by the proposed Transit Tower as well as shadows that would be cast by other buildings that could be built with implementation of the draft Plan….For potential future buildings other than the Transit Tower, shadows analyzed are based on massing models representative of potential future development in the Plan area.
[The shadows] from several potential future Plan area buildings at 500 feet in height or greater would reach a number of parks subject to Section 295 controls, including Union Square, Justin Herman Plaza, Portsmouth Square, St. Mary’s Square, Maritime Plaza, and Boeddeker Park.
With one exception, shadow from any given potential building would cover part of any affected Section 295 park for less than 45 minutes per day over a period of time ranging from 4 to 12 weeks (one to three months) per year; the exception would be that Union Square would be newly shaded by up to about one hour per day, over a period of six months, by a 600-foot tower addition to the southwest corner of the Palace Hotel on New Montgomery Street. Most new shadow on Section 295 parks would be in the early morning hours, except that Justin Herman Plaza would be newly shaded in the early afternoon in late fall and early winter.
Union Square, because it is in a retail and tourist hotel neighborhood, is generally not heavily used during the early morning hours (before 8:00 a.m.) when much of the new shadow from Plan area buildings would fall on the park. Between 8:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m., when shadow from the Palace Hotel tower would fall on Union Square, activity is increased, although there is substantially more pedestrian activity on the sidewalks surrounding Union Square at this time than in the park itself, as many people pass Union Square when walking to work and other destinations.
Portsmouth Square, at the eastern edge of Chinatown, a very dense residential neighborhood, is relatively heavily used even between 8:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m., when new shadow from Plan area buildings would fall on the park. Much of the activity in Portsmouth Square at this time of day consists of individuals, many elderly, exercising.
St. Mary’s Square, although near the southern edge of Chinatown, is not as heavily used as Portsmouth Square. However, it is used by people exercising in the early morning, when new shadow from Plan area buildings would fall on the park.
Justin Herman Plaza, which would be newly shaded in the early afternoon in late fall and early winter, is heavily used during the midday period by persons traveling to and from the Ferry Building, tourists, street vendors, and lunchtime office workers and strollers.
The non-Section 295 public open space that would be most greatly affected by Plan area development is Rincon Park along the Embarcadero. This open space would be newly shaded in the late afternoon throughout much of the year, except from mid-fall through mid-winter, by the Transit Tower, 181 Fremont, the 50 First Street project, and potential 700-foot buildings at the Golden Gate University site and at 350 Mission Street.
http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...ransit_di.html

But the planning code also contains Byzantine bulk limits I've never been able to understand.

If you are really interested, it's here: http://www.sf-planning.org/ftp/CDG/d..._Draft_WEB.pdf

Check out particularly page 30. It has diagrams but explains:

Quote:
OBJECTIVE 2.6
PROVIDE FLEXIBILITY AND SUFFICIENT ALLOWANCE FOR THE STRUCTURAL CORE OF TALL BUILDINGS (TALLER THAN 600 FEET), WHILE ENSURING THAT THE BUILDINGS MAINTAIN ELEGANT AND SLENDER PROPORTIONS AND PROFILE.

OBJECTIVE 2.7
ENSURE ARTICULATION AND REDUCTION TO THE MASS OF THE UPPER PORTIONS AND TOPS OF TOWERS IN ORDER TO CREATE VISUAL INTEREST IN THE SKYLINE AND HELP MAINTAIN VIEWS.

OBJECTIVE 2.8
MAINTAIN SEPARATION BETWEEN TALL BUILDINGS TO PERMIT AIR AND LIGHT TO REACH THE STREET, AS WELL AS TO HELP REDUCE ‘URBAN CANYON’ EFFECTS.

Last edited by Cal_Escapee; May 27th, 2012 at 01:46 AM.
Cal_Escapee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2012, 02:22 AM   #29
hhhhh
BANNED

Likes (Received): 110

Very nice tower.
hhhhh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2012, 05:35 AM   #30
techniques1200s

New renders and info have been released. The total height is actually 802'/244m including the spire. The 700'/213m number is the height to the roof:

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2..._and.html#more

Quote:
Having been waylaid by the market, the project is now making its way back through planning, but the proposed steel framed tower has been downsized to 52 stories reaching 700 feet with a decorative screen reaching to 745 feet and a spire to the 802-foot mark

As proposed, the tower would contain a subterranean garage for 200 cars; 2,000 square feet of retail; 404,000 square feet of office space on floors 3 to 35; 74 condos on floors 38 to 52; and 7,000 square feet of residential amenities and a two story open air terrace around the building for residents on level 36.

A bridge to the elevated City Park atop the future Transit Center extends from floor 5.

I like the design and location a lot, I hope it gets built. It will compliment the new Transbay tower nicely (which will go up across the street). Assuming it gets built, and is finished after the Transbay tower (which starts construction in 2013), It would also be a new 3rd tallest for SF, replacing the 779' Bank of America tower (which is currently the 2nd tallest).
Old December 1st, 2012, 06:23 AM   #31
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Likes (Received): 10283

This building has its own thread here. Please post this information there. Of, if for some reason you prefer not to, let me know and I will, but it would be great to have you help us keep this whole SF section more up to date.
Cal_Escapee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2012, 06:54 AM   #32
techniques1200s

Done. I was actually creating a post for that thread as you typed your post out for this thread...and I apparently posted it one minute after you posted here. Good timing.
Old December 10th, 2012, 05:16 PM   #33
Kiboko
hubba hubba

Likes (Received): 328

I'm lovin' it Nice addition to the SF skyline.
Kiboko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2012, 04:50 AM   #34
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Looks very early 90s
ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2013, 12:30 PM   #35
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53485

More renders:

all: http://sf.curbed.com/archives/2012/1...81_fremont.php
Old February 16th, 2013, 02:41 PM   #36
Cujas
European

Likes (Received): 1091

Very beautyful, she will be absolutly perfect for the SF skyline!
Old February 16th, 2013, 11:21 PM   #37
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5338

I like it, it wil be very notable in San Francisco's boxy skyline but that is cool because it's close to the Transbay Tower.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2013, 01:28 AM   #38
Mplsuptown

Likes (Received): 725

Nice to see more glass screened buildings in SF. I just noticed how few there are.

*And Major D., just leave the angry man's post up. - spectre000
Mplsuptown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2013, 09:36 AM   #39
theskythelimit

Likes (Received): 117

Not sure how this will affect the project but he owner of the property is putting it on the market.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci....html?page=all
theskythelimit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2013, 08:24 AM   #40
techniques1200s

Good news:

Quote:
181 Fremont Tower Fully Rendered, Animated, And Ready To Rise

Having acquired the Transbay parcel and approved plans to build a 52-story tower with 14 floors of condos over 400,000 square feet of office space and a spire reaching 800 feet, Silicon Valley builder Jay Paul plans to break ground on 181 Fremont as soon as possible.
http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...n_the_way.html

They also released an animation of the tower:

And can we get the height updated to 244m / 802' in the thread title?

swéré liked this post

Tags
181 fremont street, park 181, san francisco, transbay transit center