daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 3rd, 2018, 10:01 PM   #181
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
Is the Sami language (Southern Sami here) to be displayed enforced by the Norwegian legislation, or is it discretionary?
It's by law and regulation
Quote:
Har eit objekt samisk eller kvensk namn i tillegg til eit norskspråkleg namn, og namneformene er i bruk blant folk som bur fast på eller har næringsmessig tilknyting til staden, skal begge eller alle namna brukast.
Hence, since there is also a tiny native Sami minority in former "Sør-Trøndelag" (as well as in Hedmark even further south), also the old sign should strictly have been in both languages. There are by the way five official minority languages in Norway, four Sami languages as well as "Kvensk" , the latter is not Sami but very close to Finnish. The regulation specifies that only one Sami form is to be used in a given area. There are also two written forms of Norwegian, but the official geographical names are the same. Hence, at most three languages are used for geographical names in Norwegian signage, like here in Storfjord (I believe the order is Norwegian - Northern Sami- "Kvensk" ) :

There will be many new border signs in Norway the coming years, as more counties and municipalities will be reorganized. In fact, the new county signs shown in the picture shown in my previous post will be moved in just a few years because one more municipality will be added to Trø¸ndelag...

Last edited by 54°26′S 3°24′E; January 4th, 2018 at 01:02 AM.
54°26′S 3°24′E no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2018, 08:27 AM   #182
MattiG

Likes (Received): 615

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54°26′S 3°24′E View Post
It's by law and regulation
Do these regulations apply to the names of counties, too? I am asking, because most (all?) such signs at the county borders of Finnmark and Troms are in Norwergian only, even if there are municipalities where the Sami has a status of an official language.

https://www.google.fi/maps/@69.39940...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.fi/maps/@70.03668...7i13312!8i6656
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2018, 09:45 AM   #183
54°26′S 3°24′E

According to the first paragraph of the law, it applies to administrative areas. Counties are not explicitly mentioned among the examples but are nevertheless included. As discussed, although the law is 20 years old, there has been a change in practice by the road authorities, most likely due to pressure from the Sami organizations. Before it seems to me like they only used bi- or multilingual signs when the local authorities demanded it. Now they seem to follow what the legislation actually prescribes, using the minority language geographical names where there is any native and historic presence. This is a big difference, as the Sami communities in many places are extremely small. This is not always popular, especially in parts of Northern Norway, where the particular rights of the Sami people are highly controversial.

https://www.nrk.no/sapmi/vegvesenet-...ndt-1.13418788

Last edited by 54°26′S 3°24′E; January 4th, 2018 at 10:22 AM.
Old January 4th, 2018, 10:31 AM   #184
54°26′S 3°24′E

Map showing the (historic) distribution of the Sami languages in the Nordics and Russia. Ume-Sami and Pite-Sami (no. 2 - 3 in the map) are extinct in Norway and hence are not used in signage. The difference between Southern - Sami (1) and Northern - Sami (5) is said to similar to the difference between Norwegian and Dutch, meaning that, although quite a few words appear similar when written down, the two languages are not mutually intelligible.

Last edited by 54°26′S 3°24′E; January 4th, 2018 at 11:24 AM.
Old January 6th, 2018, 11:19 PM   #185
nick.english.dept

Likes (Received): 1627

Entering Athens City Limits

Entering the City Limits of Athens from the West
https://www.google.gr/maps/@37.99276...=en&authuser=0

Entering the City Limits of Athens from the North
https://www.google.gr/maps/@37.99886...7i13312!8i6656
nick.english.dept no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2018, 12:25 AM   #186
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Video of a bar and a church that are cut by the border between Emilia Romagna and Tuscany (two Italian regions). The bodies of two saints have been buried right across the border line because both communities claimed them.
A part of the village of San Pellegrino in Alpe is an enclave of Emilia Romagna within Tuscany. This situation exists since 1221.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/44.18987/10.48057
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Highway89 liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote