daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 14th, 2008, 09:33 PM   #1
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 906

Turku:medieval castle, 18th century housing estate etc

Turku was founded in the 13th century, making it one of Finlandīs oldest cities. With an urban population of 236 000 itīs the fifth largest city in the country. As a Helsinkian I find Turku to be very different from my hometown.

Not only size-wise but also architecturally. Helsinkiīs city centre contains mostly 19th and early 20th century architecture (apart from the fortress island of Suomelinna). In Turku, on the other hand, you can still find medieval buildings and narrow streets and alleys. On the whole the city is much more scarred by post-war development than Helsinki though. Old stone buildings, both stone and wooden (quite a lot of wooden buildings in Turku) and 70s apartment buildings stand side by side in the city centre.

I will now present to you Turku Castle, Cloister Hill and a few streets from the city centre and around the Cathedral of Turku.

Turku Castle (dating back to the 1280s).

Cloister Hill is a wooden housing estate dating back to the late 18th and early 19th cenuty. Itīs the last remaining piece of the old wooden city. Today itīs a museum. Narrow streets and court yards dominate this area.

Think your flat is cramped? Take a look at the ladder leading up to the small box under the roof. Thatīs how a 200-year-old student flat looks like.

Thanks
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 15th, 2008, 11:29 AM   #2
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244447

WoW! Turku is very nice town
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2008, 12:47 PM   #3
urbane

Likes (Received): 82

Nice town, but I don't see too many narrow streets and alleys to be honest: just some in old quarter with the wooden houses.
urbane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2008, 03:59 PM   #4
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 906

Thanks for you comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbane View Post
Nice town, but I don't see too many narrow streets and alleys to be honest: just some in old quarter with the wooden houses.
Exactly.
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2008, 03:42 AM   #5
MNiemann

Likes (Received): 79

wow that is really cool i've always seen Turku on the map but I think you are the first to show pictures of it. thank you!