daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 3rd, 2011, 05:08 PM   #241
Xander

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0rg View Post
In the end, the city that shocked us with countless supertall proposals has become a second tier boomtown skyscraperwise. There are a lot of unclear monster proposals for a mid-long term for Chongqing, but I don't believe any of them now.
It really doesn't matter to people except to us skyscraper geeks. 300m is just a number, 271m is still really a very tall tower. It seems to me that Chongqing is a city that is developing steadily and intelligently. You see all these unheard of cities in China that are building supertalls for the sake of it, and to me that is a very Dubai attitude. Those supertalls won't be filled, and there is no demand for them. It's just a my tower is bigger than yours attitude.

Chongqing is building loads of skyscrapers, the fact they don't hit the magic 300m is pretty irrelevant to anyone but us on this website. Chongqing is having its skyline changed rapidly, a few extra metres doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, building towers that will actually be used is far more important. Chongqing will develop steadily into an internationally renowned city, it takes time, there isn't an instant fix.

What is great about Chongqing is that all the towers being built seem to fit effortlessly into an already existing urban fabric. I think a lot of these chinese new towns are bleak and soulless. Little by little Chongqing is adding to an already decent skyline, and adding to it with attractive towers that serve to beautify the citys appearance. I think that as the city continues to clean up and modernise, it will become a world-class city, way above other Chinese cities that may have built supertalls. What Chongqing lacks in supertalls it makes up for in quantity and quality.

ニョキニョキと広くて青い空に延ばしている摩天楼...........

My threads:
Taiwan: 1 2 3; Malaysia; Singapore; Indonesia- 1 2 3; Toronto: 1 2
Xander no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 3rd, 2011, 10:25 PM   #242
Hot Rod
Big City Enthusiast

Location: Vancouver, Osaka, Chicago, Chongqing, Seattle, and OKC
Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander View Post
It really doesn't matter to people except to us skyscraper geeks. 300m is just a number, 271m is still really a very tall tower. It seems to me that Chongqing is a city that is developing steadily and intelligently. You see all these unheard of cities in China that are building supertalls for the sake of it, and to me that is a very Dubai attitude. Those supertalls won't be filled, and there is no demand for them. It's just a my tower is bigger than yours attitude.

Chongqing is building loads of skyscrapers, the fact they don't hit the magic 300m is pretty irrelevant to anyone but us on this website. Chongqing is having its skyline changed rapidly, a few extra metres doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, building towers that will actually be used is far more important. Chongqing will develop steadily into an internationally renowned city, it takes time, there isn't an instant fix.

What is great about Chongqing is that all the towers being built seem to fit effortlessly into an already existing urban fabric. I think a lot of these chinese new towns are bleak and soulless. Little by little Chongqing is adding to an already decent skyline, and adding to it with attractive towers that serve to beautify the citys appearance. I think that as the city continues to clean up and modernise, it will become a world-class city, way above other Chinese cities that may have built supertalls. What Chongqing lacks in supertalls it makes up for in quantity and quality.
I T-O-T-A-L-L-Y agree with this and could not have said it better myself: Chongqing already has amazing skylineS and they are adding amazing towers that look like supertalls already. The fact that so far they have been somewhat shortened - only means something to US, the skyscraper enthusiast community. But to joe blow from wherever, when he goes to Chongqing, he SHOULD be impressed with the opinion that CQ is an already established premier city of the West of China and that it is growing into a world city. He'd also probably assume that those towers are supertalls, rivaling those in other cities.

I do have faith that as Jeifangbei runs out of land, that new proposals will be supertalls and that a few supertall proposals in JFB will actually be built. But 271 is not that far away from 300m, and the darn United International LOOKS like a supertall nonetheless, not to mention CQ Poly, YingLi, and even WTCC.

I also LOVE the way CQ seems to be organically developing and retaining as much green space as possible. This is unique, especially in China and given how big CQ already is. I think this will pay off in the long run, and I can attest that this city's development is on par with the best world class cities - the same can NOT be said for other Chinese cities that build for the sake of it.
Hot Rod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2011, 04:20 PM   #243
kazpmk

Likes (Received): 38

sad about the height correction, but not surprising
Comcast Center, Philadelphia 1,121 ft UC Wilshire Grand, Los Angeles 1,100 ft UC
Three WTC, NY 1,079 ft UC Salesforce Tower, San Francisco 1,070 ft
53W53, New York 1,050 ft UC 35 Hudson Yards, New York 1,009 ft UC
One Manhattan West, New York 995 ft UC
kazpmk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2011, 06:03 PM   #244
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8244

also look at singapore. that city has no supertall, but still one of the top skylines on this world, so i'm pretty great with towers like these.
KillerZavatar está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2011, 06:40 PM   #245
lianli

Likes (Received): 93

Of course those troll developers are a pain in the ass, but 270m is already pretty high. For a city that is just at the beginning of it's development Chongqing already has a remarkable skyline.
When the time is right those supertalls will rise.

FM 2258 liked this post
lianli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2011, 04:54 PM   #246
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Likes (Received): 15933

By easyfriend

More than 300 supertall projects on going in China.
z0rg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2011, 09:48 AM   #247
travelworld123

Likes (Received): 48

i agree with the above posts about not needing too many supertalls. I believe density (with of course some good skyscrapers) beats a skyline that is 'fake' with one or two supertalls popping out where it otherwise seems empty and cold.

Whats the final design? I'm confused and can't be bothered reading back all the pages

Also, has Chongqing's skyline always been like this before all the attention has been here? Or was it empty sort of like Pudong was marshland before development?
travelworld123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2011, 10:24 AM   #248
Hot Rod
Big City Enthusiast

it has always been dense, just not as tall.
Old September 21st, 2011, 10:48 PM   #249
Bassik
chief horror

Likes (Received): 2487

Wow! seems higher than it is
Bassik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2011, 08:17 AM   #250
Hot Rod
Big City Enthusiast

Bassik, I think so too. Particularly since that area of land is on a decline yet it is not only significantly taller than anything in its vacinity, but it is taller than anything else in the skyline too. ...

I think they will have an updated height once it is finished or officially topped off - and it will be 300 m or higher, since it definitely looks to be.
Old October 15th, 2011, 03:26 AM   #251
CoCoMilk

Likes (Received): 1131

posted by feipeng8865 on Gaoloumi

CoCoMilk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 01:50 AM   #252
macpolo

Likes (Received): 154

from classic023
Old November 16th, 2011, 01:52 AM   #253
macpolo

Likes (Received): 154

Old November 17th, 2011, 12:26 AM   #254
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoCoMilk View Post
posted by feipeng8865 on Gaoloumi

This is a nice skyline, it's pretty obvious the hill makes many skyscrapers appear taller than their actual height compare to developments closer to the bank. Similarly Seattle's downtown skyline has the same effect.
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2011, 12:37 AM   #255
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5172

Man I wish they'd clad this building already. What an eyesore.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2011, 01:21 AM   #256
Hot Rod
Big City Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
This is a nice skyline, it's pretty obvious the hill makes many skyscrapers appear taller than their actual height compare to developments closer to the bank. Similarly Seattle's downtown skyline has the same effect.
honestly, in Jiefangbei CBD (where most of these pictures look at) - not really, because after the initial rise from the river the land is flat there unlike in Seattle where buildings are up and up as you move away from Puget Sound. United International (WTCC, NYNY, Poly or any other tower in JFB. ...) does not sit on a hill unlike how Columbia Center in Seattle does. There aren't any hills or cliffs in Jeifangbei itself, all of the streets are flat - in this regard Chongqing is more similar to NY or Vancouver.

Outside of Jeifangbei, smaller residentials often sit on a hill or cliff - so there would be some enhanced impact. Whereas the residentials in Jeifangbei really are generally the tallest in china (the 3 in the front of the pic below ARE the three tallest residentials in china).

Old November 19th, 2011, 02:23 PM   #257
Hoogfriesland

Likes (Received): 1205

Manhattan in China
Hoogfriesland no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2011, 02:09 AM   #258
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 611

Yes....I loved staying in Jiefangbei last year. Very lively, easily walkable. Chongqing is a beautiful city.

I'm surprised that some the bridges and buildings I saw last October are still not finished yet.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2011, 06:29 PM   #259
Kiboko
hubba hubba

Likes (Received): 327

Terrible design, what a way to crown a skyline. The design with the spire was much better. Fore Chongqing's sake i hope there will be more supertalls in this area in the near future, so this thing won't dominate the skyline as much as it does now.
Kiboko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2012, 10:04 AM   #260
albertobusy
MEGALOPOLIS

Likes (Received): 62

albertobusy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chongqing