daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 3rd, 2009, 06:50 AM   #201
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19049

The South End of Brickell Village

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3631/...177e750a_b.jpg
image hosted on flickr
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 19th, 2009, 11:38 PM   #202
dpw1983

Likes (Received): 105

From last weekend

dpw1983 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 05:55 AM   #203
Parisian Girl
MONACO _ Côte d'Azur

Likes (Received): 2829

Awesome thread! A job very well done, and thank you for all the wonderful photos here, QuantumX. If this thread doesn't sell Miami to a lot more people then I don't know what will!?

I've always liked Miami, it's such a vibrant and exciting city. Love the multicultural aspect of this city also, and that's what makes Miami what it is today IMO. Great skyline too! The towers/buildings are colourful and exciting and they actually look good! Just a real good vibe city I think, and it's nice to see Miami getting bigger and better every year.

Parisian Girl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2009, 12:25 AM   #204
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Thank you, Parisian Girl! My purpose has been served, but it is an ongoing effort. I see great potential in the city that has yet to be realized. I hope to better help the city realize its potential.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

Old March 21st, 2009, 03:40 AM   #205
Parisian Girl
MONACO _ Côte d'Azur

You're welcome, QuantumX! Well, I'll wish you best of luck! Wonderful city indeed, and I totally agree, there is still yet so much more potential for Miami in the future, and without doubt, Miami is definitely a city that's on the way up!

Miami Rocks!!!

Old March 21st, 2009, 04:20 PM   #206
palermodude

Likes (Received): 0

Yes, the photos are very nice. Miami has tons of potential. That's why I moved here.

About those clamouring for people shots - well I've read your explanations, but they don't really add up. It sounds more like a justification. Maybe you have had bad experiences with a few strangers, so now you're scared to do people shots, because you are afraid to offend, and you are afraid to ask and get rejected. Secondly, people shots do not always mean beautiful girls in super tight jeans and slinky tops, it means regular people too (and lord knows we have regular people living in Miami too). Thirdly, maybe you just don't really care about people shots, you are nothing but the skyline - that's it basta, so admit that you are not going to do people shots instead of posting some accidental non-qualifying people shots that you could get away with (Sorry, but the jet ski shots don't qualify as people, nor does the dude in a suit on Brickell Av.).

I've traveled and lived around the world. I know full well the difficulty in some cultures of taking street life shots, and in other cultures you can take all the street life shots you want with minimal problems - but frankly, it's all in your mind. In Miami you can do whatever you want, but this excuse of "this is Miami, we don't do it like that" ain't gonna fly bro. In Paris, it's easy - in Miami the couple you accidentally included just delivered a kilo of coke to a club owner. So what? This is a globalized society, people are in a public place, as long as u r self-assured, I doubt you'll have any problems. But when you're clandestine, well... you'll get treated as such.

May I make a humble suggestion? Go to MDC-Wolfson downtown during the week, take street life pics there, and then walk down 2nd to Flagler and take there.

But that's right - maybe I got it all wrong - you "dislike" people shots. So, be clear and straight about your reasonsand intentions, and change the title of your thread, so people know you ain't giving them people!

Respectfully (cause you do great work - props),
Palermodude
palermodude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2009, 04:50 PM   #207
backupcoolm4n
BANNED

Likes (Received): 14

Miami is like the south's chicago

backupcoolm4n no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 08:48 AM   #208
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by palermodude View Post
Yes, the photos are very nice. Miami has tons of potential. That's why I moved here.

About those clamouring for people shots - well I've read your explanations, but they don't really add up. It sounds more like a justification. Maybe you have had bad experiences with a few strangers, so now you're scared to do people shots, because you are afraid to offend, and you are afraid to ask and get rejected. Secondly, people shots do not always mean beautiful girls in super tight jeans and slinky tops, it means regular people too (and lord knows we have regular people living in Miami too). Thirdly, maybe you just don't really care about people shots, you are nothing but the skyline - that's it basta, so admit that you are not going to do people shots instead of posting some accidental non-qualifying people shots that you could get away with (Sorry, but the jet ski shots don't qualify as people, nor does the dude in a suit on Brickell Av.).

I've traveled and lived around the world. I know full well the difficulty in some cultures of taking street life shots, and in other cultures you can take all the street life shots you want with minimal problems - but frankly, it's all in your mind. In Miami you can do whatever you want, but this excuse of "this is Miami, we don't do it like that" ain't gonna fly bro. In Paris, it's easy - in Miami the couple you accidentally included just delivered a kilo of coke to a club owner. So what? This is a globalized society, people are in a public place, as long as u r self-assured, I doubt you'll have any problems. But when you're clandestine, well... you'll get treated as such.

May I make a humble suggestion? Go to MDC-Wolfson downtown during the week, take street life pics there, and then walk down 2nd to Flagler and take there.

But that's right - maybe I got it all wrong - you "dislike" people shots. So, be clear and straight about your reasonsand intentions, and change the title of your thread, so people know you ain't giving them people!

Respectfully (cause you do great work - props),
Palermodude
Everything I've said about taking people shots is valid, whether it doesn't add up to you or it just sounds like a justification to you or it doesn't fly with you. I've already said people shots are not my thing. I've said it time and time again. I guess you missed it. I'm not into taking pictures of people just for the sake of taking pictures of people, but my jet skiiers are people as well as the dude in a suit on Brickell Avenue and there are several other pictures with people in them throughout the thread. I even caught a baptism going on while I was waiting my turn to take the ultralight for my aerials and then there is the Saturday afternoon soccer game going on at Booker T. Washington Senior High, but in my photos, the skyscrapers are the stars, not the people. If there aren't enough people in my shots for you, I'm sorry, but that's me and I've already said that. I certainly never said "this is Miami, we don't do it like that." The title of my thread is Miami - Its Architecture and Its People, not Miami - Its People and Its Architecture.

My photo threads:

Last edited by QuantumX; April 3rd, 2009 at 11:43 AM.
Old March 22nd, 2009, 09:48 AM   #209
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by backupcoolm4n View Post
Miami is like the south's chicago
Many people have made such comparisons while others seem to consider it blasphemy, but we now have a long, linear skyline with a river running through it just as Chicago has as well as an Edgewater district.

My photo threads:

Old March 23rd, 2009, 07:37 AM   #210
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3615/...9c3071c6_b.jpg
image hosted on flickr

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3432/...3a8cdeb6_b.jpg
image hosted on flickr

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3144/...449a552d_b.jpg
image hosted on flickr

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3457/...c0797458_b.jpg
image hosted on flickr

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3131/...75b6f242_b.jpg
image hosted on flickr

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3624/...435d5956_b.jpg
image hosted on flickr

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3571/...ecd853e8_b.jpg
image hosted on flickr

My photo threads:

Old March 23rd, 2009, 08:08 AM   #211
Parisian Girl
MONACO _ Côte d'Azur

Love those shots along the waterfront.. so nice. Looks like a great place to live! I'll say one thing for Miami, they sure build colourful and exciting looking towers/skyscrapers - which I may add, are aesthetically perfect for what Miami is really all about! Not saying everything is perfect in this city, of course not, but IMO, Miami's skyline looks just right. Really like what I see here!

Old March 23rd, 2009, 09:41 AM   #212
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parisian Girl View Post
Love those shots along the waterfront.. so nice. Looks like a great place to live! I'll say one thing for Miami, they sure build colourful and exciting looking towers/skyscrapers - which I may add, are aesthetically perfect for what Miami is really all about! Not saying everything is perfect in this city, of course not, but IMO, Miami's skyline looks just right. Really like what I see here!
Thanks, Parisian Girl! To bring more attention and interest to the city is my reason for being here. This shot from Sunday afternoon is my favorite of the day because it is a nice slice of Miami life. I love the girl taking an afternoon stroll, the man sitting reading the newspaper, and the guy walking his dog. That is a modeling shoot going on in the far ground. With the skyscrapers in the distance, this is precisely the kind of people shot I like to capture.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3131/...75b6f242_b.jpg
image hosted on flickr

Here is the very same walkway from the air. I took this from the ultralight last October.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3437/...34e9d50d_b.jpg
image hosted on flickr

My photo threads:

Last edited by QuantumX; March 23rd, 2009 at 10:07 AM.
Old March 24th, 2009, 07:53 AM   #213
Parisian Girl
MONACO _ Côte d'Azur

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
Thanks, Parisian Girl! To bring more attention and interest to the city is my reason for being here. This shot from Sunday afternoon is my favorite of the day because it is a nice slice of Miami life. I love the girl taking an afternoon stroll, the man sitting reading the newspaper, and the guy walking his dog. That is a modeling shoot going on in the far ground. With the skyscrapers in the distance, this is precisely the kind of people shot I like to capture.
That's cool, QuantumX! Totally agree with you on that one. Coincidentally, that one particular shot took my eye also. An excellent image indeed! It's a very interesting photo because here you have what is basically a group of complete strangers going about their daily business, simply enjoying their leisure time and yes, it really is a terrific slice of everyday Miami life. Job well done IMO! Keep posting!

Old April 3rd, 2009, 01:35 AM   #214
Mr_kiwi_fruit

Likes (Received): 1661

Fantastic updates, thanks. I love Miami and it is probably my favourite US city

Mr_kiwi_fruit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2009, 01:58 AM   #215
salaverryo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 18

Since when does Miami have beaches? The beaches are all in Miami Beach, which is an altogether separate city. Miamians always do the same thing, when showcasing their city they sneak in a few pictures of MB as if saying: "See? We also have this!" Well, no way, Hosay. MB ain't yours!

salaverryo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2009, 03:24 AM   #216
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter

Likes (Received): 309

Quote:
Originally Posted by salaverryo View Post
Since when does Miami have beaches? The beaches are all in Miami Beach, which is an altogether separate city. Miamians always do the same thing, when showcasing their city they sneak in a few pictures of MB as if saying: "See? We also have this!" Well, no way, Hosay. MB ain't yours!
Exactly! They're 2 different cities, connected via causeways.

There's plenty to show off here in Miami itself without posting pics of Miami Beach (Miami Beach is different and deserves its own thread).
Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying

My Panoramio

Comfortably Numb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2009, 11:49 AM   #217
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by salaverryo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
Exactly! They're 2 different cities, connected via causeways.

There's plenty to show off here in Miami itself without posting pics of Miami Beach (Miami Beach is different and deserves its own thread).
Just wanted to make sure you were paying attention.

My photo threads:

Old April 20th, 2009, 05:59 AM   #218
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3579/...323148a6_b.jpg
image hosted on flickr

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3206/...3f1f57fa_b.jpg
image hosted on flickr

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3551/...86188d5c_b.jpg
image hosted on flickr

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3592/...f125090b_b.jpg
image hosted on flickr

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3549/...e69d11be_b.jpg
image hosted on flickr

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3537/...39642a43_b.jpg
image hosted on flickr

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3510/...e08e0db0_b.jpg
image hosted on flickr

My photo threads:

Old April 20th, 2009, 06:24 AM   #219
Brett

Likes (Received): 45

Awesome looking city! But, I can't help noticing the entire city seems to sit right at sea level. Is there any plans in the works to combat the rise in sea level we will see in the next 50 years? Id hate to see so many nice buildings flooded out!

Brett no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2009, 06:32 AM   #220
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3544/...e3f226de_b.jpg
image hosted on flickr

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3592/...0d8b0368_b.jpg
image hosted on flickr

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3626/...baf50a60_b.jpg
image hosted on flickr

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3508/...d4a38e8d_b.jpg
image hosted on flickr

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3620/...848c1cc9_b.jpg
image hosted on flickr

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3532/...169a6916_b.jpg
image hosted on flickr

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3601/...74259dd8_b.jpg
image hosted on flickr

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3615/...542f1b47_b.jpg
image hosted on flickr

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3574/...b6ec2cfb_b.jpg
image hosted on flickr

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3627/...34257400_b.jpg
image hosted on flickr

My photo threads: