daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 20th, 2008, 10:15 PM   #21
philadweller

Likes (Received): 16

South Beach is awesome and very walkable. The rest of Miami is a disaster at street level. The brightest urban planners in the US are not in Miami unfortunately.
philadweller no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 21st, 2008, 12:39 AM   #22
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19049

Quote:
Originally Posted by philadweller View Post
South Beach is awesome and very walkable. The rest of Miami is a disaster at street level. The brightest urban planners in the US are not in Miami unfortunately.
We are working on it. Give us more time. This city is nowhere near being all it can be, and many people know this.

#73-4 beats
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3044/...c2ee6fde_b.jpg
image hosted on flickr

#74-4 beats
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3083/...a211b24d_b.jpg
image hosted on flickr

#75-8 beats
image hosted on flickr

#76-4 beats
image hosted on flickr

#77-4 beats
image hosted on flickr

#78-8 beats
image hosted on flickr

#79-8 beats
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3231/...d22e2f9b_b.jpg
image hosted on flickr

#80-8 beats
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3158/...4c365c43_b.jpg
image hosted on flickr

#81-8 beats
image hosted on flickr
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by QuantumX; April 8th, 2010 at 12:41 PM.
QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 12:47 AM   #23
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpact View Post
3rd biggest skyline (amount wise not tall wise) in America!
Yes! Many American cities have buildings taller than what we currently have under construction here in Miami, but the sheer number of condos that made it to construction in the 400 feet tall and up range is what gives Miami this 3rd place ranking, and more are projects are in the planning stages for when the market rebounds.

#82-Fade out
image hosted on flickr
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

Last edited by QuantumX; April 8th, 2010 at 12:40 AM.
Old November 21st, 2008, 12:47 AM   #24
cityscapes

Likes (Received): 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
We are working on it. Give us more time. This city is nowhere near being all it can be, and many people know this.
Downtown Miami is such a disaster. I will be long dead by the time they fix the mistakes from the past. South Beach is great though and the miracle mile is too but the downtown area of miami really needs work it doesn't even feel like a vibrant urban environment it just looks like one when you see the skyline.
cityscapes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 12:58 AM   #25
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityscapes View Post
Downtown Miami is such a disaster. I will be long dead by the time they fix the mistakes from the past. South Beach is great though and the miracle mile is too but the downtown area of miami really needs work it doesn't even feel like a vibrant urban environment it just looks like one when you see the skyline.
Being one of the more senior members of the Miami forum, I hope some things get fixed a little sooner. With the completion date they've given One Bayfront Plaza, I'll be in my 60s. I probably will be dead myself by the time some of the things happen that I would like to see happen for this city. Metrorail opened when I moved here in 1984, and look how little has happened with that. It's really an embarrassment, but I'm pretty excited by the change the city is going through right now regardless of what all else I live to see.

I think Brickell Village has a pretty vibrant urban environment right now. That is why I have as many pictures of it as I do on the preceding page. I love spending time in Brickell Village.

My photo threads:

Last edited by QuantumX; November 21st, 2008 at 01:43 AM.
Old November 21st, 2008, 04:26 AM   #26
HudsonSa
Landed

Miami is so... unique! so sunny! so Miami!!

HudsonSa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2008, 12:18 PM   #27
DML2
Aucklander

Likes (Received): 0

very nice, very nice.

:D
DML2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2008, 05:34 PM   #28
f.e.s.b.r.
... life still goes on ..

Likes (Received): 7

wow man.. love the buildings in miami!!!
great shoots keep taking more and more uahahuuah
congrats
f.e.s.b.r. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2008, 07:54 PM   #29
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244820

Miami has a very nice skyline

christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2008, 08:55 PM   #30
palermodude

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
I've lived here for almost 25 years, and I'm not rich. I like it here, and there is no place I would rather be right now to witness the kind of change the city is going through. The idea behind creating as many beautiful images as I can and spreading them around is to entice more rich people to come here and spread their money around.
I'm in a good mood 99% of the time, and I am very happy living in Miami. But honestly, the comment above is distasteful to me. We are all free to express our personal opinions, so I'll express mine: Who friggin cares? I am living in the city (my apartment building, and even my unit is featured on some beautiful shots), and I am here building the city. I am actively building the city and I am not waiting for people to come in and build it. I could care less that the city has its faults, I am living it and am part of it. Why would anyone create subjective false images that don't reflect reality only to disappoint those expecting something else. That is so typically USA. Overselling and defending perceived weaknesses.

Why even defend Miami? It needs no defending. Here are the pics, and BASTA! None of this "OK, guys maybe it ain't walkable, but we are working on it, I promise". "Give us time, we're trying, but planning here is a disaster".

Whatever...

It's all subjective. Planning in Miami cannot be explained away in three sentences, nor can the feel of Miami be communicated in this thread. You want Miami? Post pictures of the homeless, the Price Choice Market on 2nd and NE 19th, the empty condos everywhere, post pictures of my colleagues at work, where I speak 4 languages regularly daily, write my emails to my supervisor in Spanish, and where 15-20 countries are represented in a team of 30. How about the Metrorail platforms, Flagler Downtown, SW 1st, 4th Court, Calle Ocho, Aventura, North Beach, The Grove, South of Fifth, 41st, Vizcaya, the Gables. What about Little Haiti? Hialeah? Why don't you take 20 photos of the neighborhood around Biscayne and 80th? Wynewood? Design District? Hello? Anybody home?

What about the 163rd street mall, at the bus stop where I hang out? What about Chinatown (Ha, there is one now)

Don't try to make Miami into something it's not - but do make Miami by your daily actions in the community. Join a board, a commission, a committee, an organization. As you dream of enticing rich people to come here and spread their wealth, those of us on the streets are making it happen, bad economy or good economy. The future is ours. Yes, and where are your collection of street shots? Oh... you are afraid people will see that foot traffic is predominately low ... God forbid. It is what it is. Take 15 of the Grove, and people will think Miami is wonderfully walkable. Take some around MDC-Wolfson and everybody will think it's so vibrant. Take some around Omni, and people will run away, LOL.

Miami is an acquired taste for many North Americans. Only those that can blend in here will survive the long term. Pictures are pretty, but they are also superficial. The real power of Miami is the people and culture - not empty condos, although they are beautiful and I also love the architecture.

I am sorry if my response seems harsh or brutal. Miami... no excuses needed.
palermodude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2008, 10:18 PM   #31
Mares de Morros_XXI
SubTropical lands

Likes (Received): 347

i agree with you...
but miami has a kind of own style and the white , clean, superficial buildings are indeed beautiful too...

"...Igual que el trébol campero crezco sin hacer barullo,
me apreto contra los yuyos y así lo aguanto al pampero."

Mares de Morros_XXI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2008, 11:50 PM   #32
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by palermodude View Post
I'm in a good mood 99% of the time, and I am very happy living in Miami. But honestly, the comment above is distasteful to me. We are all free to express our personal opinions, so I'll express mine: Who friggin cares? I am living in the city (my apartment building, and even my unit is featured on some beautiful shots), and I am here building the city. I am actively building the city and I am not waiting for people to come in and build it. I could care less that the city has its faults, I am living it and am part of it. Why would anyone create subjective false images that don't reflect reality only to disappoint those expecting something else. That is so typically USA. Overselling and defending perceived weaknesses.

Why even defend Miami? It needs no defending. Here are the pics, and BASTA! None of this "OK, guys maybe it ain't walkable, but we are working on it, I promise". "Give us time, we're trying, but planning here is a disaster".

Whatever...

It's all subjective. Planning in Miami cannot be explained away in three sentences, nor can the feel of Miami be communicated in this thread. You want Miami? Post pictures of the homeless, the Price Choice Market on 2nd and NE 19th, the empty condos everywhere, post pictures of my colleagues at work, where I speak 4 languages regularly daily, write my emails to my supervisor in Spanish, and where 15-20 countries are represented in a team of 30. How about the Metrorail platforms, Flagler Downtown, SW 1st, 4th Court, Calle Ocho, Aventura, North Beach, The Grove, South of Fifth, 41st, Vizcaya, the Gables. What about Little Haiti? Hialeah? Why don't you take 20 photos of the neighborhood around Biscayne and 80th? Wynewood? Design District? Hello? Anybody home?

What about the 163rd street mall, at the bus stop where I hang out? What about Chinatown (Ha, there is one now)

Don't try to make Miami into something it's not - but do make Miami by your daily actions in the community. Join a board, a commission, a committee, an organization. As you dream of enticing rich people to come here and spread their wealth, those of us on the streets are making it happen, bad economy or good economy. The future is ours. Yes, and where are your collection of street shots? Oh... you are afraid people will see that foot traffic is predominately low ... God forbid. It is what it is. Take 15 of the Grove, and people will think Miami is wonderfully walkable. Take some around MDC-Wolfson and everybody will think it's so vibrant. Take some around Omni, and people will run away, LOL.

Miami is an acquired taste for many North Americans. Only those that can blend in here will survive the long term. Pictures are pretty, but they are also superficial. The real power of Miami is the people and culture - not empty condos, although they are beautiful and I also love the architecture.

There are many different ways to bring about change for the better, I'm simply presenting one of them. This is one way of improving the local economy. At least I'm doing something in that regard, and the images aren't false. The images are real!

My photo threads:

Old November 23rd, 2008, 12:14 AM   #33
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Who friggin cares? I am living in the city (my apartment building, and even my unit is featured on some beautiful shots), and I am here building the city. I am actively building the city and I am not waiting for people to come in and build it. I could care less that the city has its faults, I am living it and am part of it. Why would anyone create subjective false images that don't reflect reality only to disappoint those expecting something else. That is so typically USA. Overselling and defending perceived weaknesses.

Why don't you take 20 photos of the neighborhood around Biscayne and 80th? Wynewood? Design District? Hello? Anybody home?

Don't try to make Miami into something it's not - but do make Miami by your daily actions in the community. Join a board, a commission, a committee, an organization. As you dream of enticing rich people to come here and spread their wealth, those of us on the streets are making it happen, bad economy or good

How is this for starters? The pictures above are not false, but are among the many sides of Miami. Here are a few more. What I'm doing is not a dream. It is what happened on South Beach over 20 years ago. I know because I was there and I saw it. It's about bringing more money into the city and getting more people to invest in this city whereby more improvements might be made.

79th Street and the railroad tracks
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3270/...d863dbb0_b.jpg
image hosted on flickr

N.E. 71st Street and the railroad tracks: This is the view I see every time I drive from the upper eastside over to my aunt's house in Liberty City
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3257/...fec8d29f_b.jpg
image hosted on flickr

79th Street and NE 2nd Avenue
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3107/...68be5a98_b.jpg
image hosted on flickr

Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
I love the way you catch the beauty of Miami and yet at the same time the grittiness of Miami,the slight imperfections that one doesn't see with the skyline shots from a distance.
You mean like this?http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3263/...cee5e574_b.jpg
image hosted on flickr

And this?
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3169/...14ac6eb7_b.jpg
image hosted on flickr

My photo threads:

Old November 23rd, 2008, 04:24 AM   #34
FIDEL CASTRO
BANNED

Likes (Received): 174

Mate, don't pay attention to Palermodude. It is obvious he is Argentinian, they think they are the elite of the world.

FIDEL CASTRO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2008, 06:29 AM   #35
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
I'm in a good mood 99% of the time, and I am very happy living in Miami. But honestly, the comment above is distasteful to me. We are all free to express our personal opinions, so I'll express mine: Who friggin cares? Whatever...

The real power of Miami is the people and culture - not empty condos, although they are beautiful and I also love the architecture.

No need to apologize.

1.) Tourism is South Florida's #1 industry.

2.) The more empty condos that get sold, the broader the property tax base to draw upon whereby improvements can be made to make Miami a better place for all to live.

I have done more to increase tourism and revitalize the real estate market here in South Florida than you could ever know, and I'm still working on doing that in an even bigger way. I created this thread to work on an even bigger project that I have planned for doing just that. You improve the quality of life here in South Florida your way, and I'll do it my way.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3049/...bd348ed8_b.jpg
image hosted on flickr

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3255/...4b0ec0b0_b.jpg
image hosted on flickr

My photo threads:

Old November 23rd, 2008, 06:55 AM   #36
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by philadweller View Post
Philly has a small urban core surrounded by large swaths of NO GO zones ...read city-data's forum for info. Fix your own issues before critising Miami's...
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2008, 06:59 AM   #37
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:

Whatever...

I think Miami will not compete with the emerging cities such as Panama, Dubai for tourist dollars unless it infuses energy into its core -- sorry, but there is no life for a doughnut.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2008, 11:58 PM   #38
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

This is one of my favorite photographs. I zoomed in on the skyline from the Cape Florida lighthouse at the southern tip of Key Biscayne.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3267/...ddd4b65b_b.jpg
image hosted on flickr

My photo threads:

Old November 24th, 2008, 01:08 AM   #39
philadweller

"Originally Posted by philadweller
South Beach is awesome and very walkable. The rest of Miami is a disaster at street level. The brightest urban planners in the US are not in Miami unfortunately."

"Philly has a small urban core surrounded by large swaths of NO GO zones ...read city-data's forum for info. Fix your own issues before critising Miami's..."

Hey I live down here and what you said is an absolute lie. First of all Philadelphia's downtown core is big and outside of the core there is a lot more than you say. South Philly and West Philly, Fairmount the Art Museum, Northern Liberties and Manayunk to name a few.

Philadephia is much more urban than Miami will ever be because it was built hundreds of years before the automobile. You can live in Philly without a car. In Miami this is attainable only in certain pockets.

Miami screwed up by the Miami River most notably. All of those condos have private access along the waterfront. This area should have allowed a fifteen foot wide path park open to the public along the entire length of the waterfront. Philadelphia has lots of public spaces for its residents. Miami has too many towers in the park and gated communities because it is afraid of crime. Miami should look to Chicago for inspiration as the Chicago River cuts into the city the same way that the Miami River cuts into Miami.

I like Miami but think it needs to be way more pedestrian friendly. South Beach gets it. That beach belongs to everyone and that is how cities should be.

There is no excuse why there is no rail connecting South Beach to downtown.
philadweller no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2008, 02:01 AM   #40
FIDEL CASTRO
BANNED

Likes (Received): 174

Why are people always attacking Miami? I've never in my life read such comments about Tampa, Jax, Orlando, Atlanta, Raleigh, etc..

"Oh, such a beautiful city", " I like Montgomery, Alabama", etc.. and guess what, Miami is the most pedestrian-friendly metro (NOTICE THAT I'M SAYING METRO) south of Philly. There are only few METROPOLITAN AREAS in America that can beat Miami and those are:

NY, Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston, San Francisco, Seattle, WASH-Balt, and maybe L.A(WHICH I DOUBT IT).

The rest of the country is sunk in terms of urbanity, but somehow no one brings that up.

FIDEL CASTRO no está en línea   Reply With Quote