daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 26th, 2009, 02:30 AM   #221
rheintram
yeah, whatever

Likes (Received): 926

The stations do look nice and simple. However, I see some problems with them: They cannot be air conditioned or warmed and I suppose it does get hot in J. during the summer. I couldn't spot any electronic displays with time table/delay information. Will they be installed? And lastely they look rather small to me. How will these stations cope with masses especially during events and peak hours?
rheintram no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 30th, 2009, 07:16 AM   #222
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18217

Johannesburg to roll out new bus system in World Cup build-up
28 August 2009
Agence France Presse

South Africa's economic hub rolls out a new bus system Sunday, changing the face of the nation's public transport ahead of the World Cup, after overcoming fierce opposition from private mini-bus taxis.

Gleaming red and blue stations finished in steel and glass already peer between Johannesburg's grey skyscrapers, boasting air-conditioned waiting rooms and facilities for the disabled.

It's a far cry from the dilapidated mini-buses that are known for deadly accidents and the ageing trains that are rarely on schedule, which collectively carry 13 million people a day in South Africa.

Public transport was neglected by the apartheid system which violently sought to keep people apart, resulting in poor regulation, shoddy safety and weak efficiency standards. The poor transport system has been one of the main concerns about South Africa's hosting of the football World Cup.

The new tram-like Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) coaches will run on dedicated lanes in the middle of motorways, saving commuters time by not getting stuck in traffic.

The buses should also be cheaper, as commuters will pay a single fare even if they transfer among different lines to reach their destination.

"BRT is an urban road-based public transport system for the 21st century," Transport Minister Sbu Ndebele said. "It aims to provide better public transport and benefits for everyone."

Johannesburg is the first city to get the system running, but Cape Town, Port Elizabeth and other cities are looking at adopting it.

Government had delayed the BRT launch for months to ease concerns of mini-bus taxi operators, who are known for bloody turf wars and who had threatened to stage protests to bring Johannesburg to a grinding halt.

The South African National Taxi Council only dropped its opposition to the project late Wednesday, after winning new assurances from government that the mini-buses would still be needed to feed into the modern bus routes.

"We have come a long way," said Rehana Moosajee, member of the Johannesburg Council transport committee. "The process of getting it this far has been long and very technical."

The ruling African National Congress also had taken a tougher tone against the taxi bosses, warning that the violence and roadblocks associated with their strikes would not be tolerated.

"If they block roads, the state must deal with that decisively. If it's not decisive, anarchy will grow and grow and grow, and society is going to be hurt," ANC secretary general Gwede Mantashe told the Foreign Correspondents Association.

The first 25-kilometre (15-mile) link runs from the historic Soweto township to the city centre, passing the Ellis Park Stadium precinct, a World Cup venue.

The BRT coaches -- also known as Rea Vaya, meaning "we are going" in seSotho -- will carry up to 90 people, stopping at stations half a kilometre apart.

Smaller feeder buses will bring people from the outer areas to the stations on the trunk routes.

"The buses would be useful in ferrying fans to the stadiums, but it must be remembered that the project was not specifically designed for the World Cup," said Moosajee.

According to the city, routes connecting southwestern parts of Johannesburg around Soccer City stadium, outside Soweto, are expected to be finished before the World Cup.

Earlier this year, government bowed to the taxi bosses' pressure and temporarily suspended the project which had been due start operating before the FIFA Confederations Cup in June.

The two billion rand (254 million dollar, 178 million euro) BRT project was approved by the city in 2006, modelled around systems used in cities like Bogota and Mexico City.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2009, 12:47 AM   #223
Paulo2004
Luso from Aveiro

Likes (Received): 57

Nice

For the best photos or information on Portugal, visit the PORTUGUESE FORUM.
Paulo2004 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2009, 08:24 AM   #224
adrimm

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheintram View Post
The stations do look nice and simple. However, I see some problems with them: They cannot be air conditioned or warmed and I suppose it does get hot in J. during the summer. I couldn't spot any electronic displays with time table/delay information. Will they be installed? And lastely they look rather small to me. How will these stations cope with masses especially during events and peak hours?

I have read that service will eventually increase to every three minutes in peak hours - sufficient to keep people flowing (imho shorter waits = even more incentive to ride).

I went on a little online expedition and have found a number of articles, photos and videos about the Rea Vaya - some very informative.

You can see more photos of the interior of the stations here: http://www.facebook.com/search/?q=Re...id=97180389844

Some articles:
1) http://www.southafrica.info/business...rt1-310809.htm
2) Highly recommended: http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_i...4840597C882034 (has a great video embedded)
3) http://www.thetimes.co.za/News/Article.aspx?id=1058511

Some youtube:

Last edited by adrimm; September 1st, 2009 at 09:18 AM.
adrimm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 08:38 AM   #225
Delta9

Likes (Received): 0

Top Watcht: De donde eres ? Yo soy de Bogotá
Saludos Delta 9
Delta9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 11:13 PM   #226
gurudeva
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

nice BRT
gurudeva no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2010, 11:55 PM   #227
Di-brazil
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Curitiba, Brazil's RIT was the first BRT system implemented in the world:

New project:

Nice photos of Johannesburg
Di-brazil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2010, 01:39 AM   #228
adrimm

Well folks the Rea Vaya is busy moving fans around to the World Cup - not only this but Google Street View has hit Johhanesburg...

Google StreetView of a downtown Rea Vaya station:http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=UTF-8...,0.000591&z=21

And some good press and reports from a number of areas:
http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/ne...d=rssfeed&att=
Old June 30th, 2010, 05:44 AM   #229
FDW

Likes (Received): 34

Is there a system map that we can see of this BRT line?
FDW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2010, 10:15 AM   #230
adrimm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDW View Post
Is there a system map that we can see of this BRT line?
http://www.reavaya.co.za/images/stor...map_latest.pdf

System website: http://www.reavaya.org.za/
adrimm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2010, 04:29 AM   #231
corredor06
BANNED

Likes (Received): 31

Nice project
corredor06 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2010, 08:19 PM   #232
The E.N.D
There's cake, right?

Likes (Received): 2912

image hosted on flickr
Old May 20th, 2011, 12:54 PM   #233
Econ77

Likes (Received): 24

edit

Last edited by Econ77; May 20th, 2011 at 12:57 PM. Reason: wrong thread
Econ77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2014, 02:16 PM   #234
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26177

Little remark from Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/s...mber-2014.html

South Africa: Gautrain Management Agency has commissioned SMEC, DLA Cliffe Dekker Hofmeyr and Deloitte to undertake studies for possible extensions
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2014, 12:25 AM   #235
NickABQ

Likes (Received): 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimlys1994 View Post
Little remark from Railway Gazette:
Extensions to what? My assumption would be Gautrain and not Metrorail.

I Love South Africa
NickABQ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2014, 02:58 PM   #236
dimlys1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickABQ View Post
Extensions to what? My assumption would be Gautrain and not Metrorail.
Of course Gautrain
Old November 18th, 2014, 04:22 PM   #237
dimlys1994

Here:

Old November 18th, 2014, 11:49 PM   #238
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

I don't mind admitting... I did not see that coming.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2014, 03:46 PM   #239
jonasry

Likes (Received): 148

So, why on earth are the two systems "competing" with each other? If I remember correctly several of the locations proposed by Gautrain are already served be existing services?
jonasry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2014, 04:18 PM   #240
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8829

I'm no expert, but I believe it is because of the elite status that the Gautrain has compared to the relatively poorer Metrorail system. Metrorail in Jo'berg has been seen as "unsafe" compared to the Gautrain, which is nauseatingly well protected with a plethora of security everywhere.
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote