daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 20th, 2014, 03:50 PM   #241
NickABQ

Likes (Received): 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
I'm no expert, but I believe it is because of the elite status that the Gautrain has compared to the relatively poorer Metrorail system. Metrorail in Jo'berg has been seen as "unsafe" compared to the Gautrain, which is nauseatingly well protected with a plethora of security everywhere.
Not only is it safer, but the carriages are also modern and comfortable, and the trains are efficient and timely.

I don't think the two systems are really competing that much. In the extension plan, Priority 1 will be servicing new destinations (ex. Randburg) and most of Priority 3 from Honeydew to Irene. In particular I'm happy to see a station at Cosmo, which was developed as a low-income housing project but has little transit service.

Also there are plans to upgrade Metrorail with new trains, upgraded stations and more security, new light systems that increase efficiency etc. Upgraded Metrorail combined with an extensive BRT network (Rea Vaya) covers alot of western, eastern and southern metro areas. Gautrain mostly covers the northern metro and fast growing areas that previously had little transit service, in addition to connecting the airport and the county's largest city (Johannesburg) to the capital (Pretoria).

The thing that frustrates me in Joburg are all the different systems (Metrorail, Gautrain, Gaubus, MetroBus, Rea Vaya). With the current political context this is unrealistic, but ideally Johannesburg would eventually create one transit agency to manage them all.

I Love South Africa

Last edited by NickABQ; November 20th, 2014 at 03:56 PM.
NickABQ no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 22nd, 2014, 05:48 PM   #242
Tcmetro

Likes (Received): 17

It seems that rationalizing the bus network would prove most effective in launching a stable public transit alternative in the city. The Metrobus network (which has the most confusing timetables and maps I've ever seen) is extremely barebones, with 60-90 minute midday frequencies if lucky, absolutely no evening service, and even more skeletal on weekends.

It seems that the Rea Vaya network is primarily focused on connecting the CBD with Soweto, but at least provides frequent services and dedicated lanes. Hopefully the Rea Vaya network can be extended to all major corridors in the city.

The Gautrain network seems pretty good. A lot of feeder buses with decent frequencies.

I suppose all my thoughts are from an outsider's perspective. I've never actually visited SA, I've just become a little interested in the Joburg transit network recently.
Old November 22nd, 2014, 09:34 PM   #243
NickABQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcmetro View Post
It seems that rationalizing the bus network would prove most effective in launching a stable public transit alternative in the city. The Metrobus network (which has the most confusing timetables and maps I've ever seen) is extremely barebones, with 60-90 minute midday frequencies if lucky, absolutely no evening service, and even more skeletal on weekends.

It seems that the Rea Vaya network is primarily focused on connecting the CBD with Soweto, but at least provides frequent services and dedicated lanes. Hopefully the Rea Vaya network can be extended to all major corridors in the city.

The Gautrain network seems pretty good. A lot of feeder buses with decent frequencies.

I suppose all my thoughts are from an outsider's perspective. I've never actually visited SA, I've just become a little interested in the Joburg transit network recently.
I've used Metrobus, Rea Vaya, Gautrain and Metrorail, and I agree. Rationalizing Metrobus would be a big help. I have to admit when I used it, I actually had a friend look up the time table and point me in the right direction of the bus stop. That being said, the bus was comfortable and modern, very efficient, made many stops (most of them at designated signs) was well used by a diverse group and timely.

Using the Gautrain feeder buses was very easy. Timetables and route maps were readily available and quite clear.

I Love South Africa
Old January 12th, 2015, 02:18 PM   #244
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26160

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/p...ter-plans.html

Arup to draw-up PRASA station master plans
12 Jan 2015

SOUTH AFRICA: Passenger Rail Agency of South Africa has appointed Arup SA to develop master plans for the potential redevelopment of land around its major stations in Johannesburg, Pretoria and Cape Town. The ambition is to support regeneration by creating transport hubs with retail, office, social, health and leisure facilities.

‘The idea is to integrate the station’s activities with those of the city – to draw in pedestrians, taxi commuters, long-distance bus passengers and commuters – and create a transport hub, not just a railway station’, according to Nico Venter, leader of Integrated Urbanism at Arup SA. ‘From this, urban regeneration can flow outwards into the city and unlock development.’

In contrast to previous redevelopment proposals, Venter said the plans would not be for ‘a general bulk massing approach, which adds density to a station without any understanding of the dynamics of the area.’ Instead the project will review the needs of rail and other transport users, as well as retail and commerce, to develop the land ‘as a long-term investment, while regenerating the city.’

NickABQ liked this post
dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2015, 07:33 PM   #245
NickABQ

Fabulous idea. Glad to see TOD coming to South Africa. ITDP should really return to working down there, they are a great resource for this kinda thing!

I Love South Africa
Old September 29th, 2015, 04:53 PM   #246
dimlys1994

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/p...ticketing.html

Thales to update Gautrain ticketing
29 Sep 2015

SOUTH AFRICA: Gautrain concessionaire Bombela has awarded Thales a contract to upgrade the Johannesburg – Pretoria line’s fare collection system to offer a wider range of ticketing options.

The current system was installed by Thales in 2010 for the FIFA World Cup. As well as the current Gold Card smart cards, following the upgrade passengers will be able to use contactless cards issued by local or foreign banks

Old November 22nd, 2015, 03:53 PM   #247
dimlys1994

Little remark on Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/s...mber-2015.html

South Africa: Turner & Townsend is to manage a platform extension project at Gautrain’s OR Tambo International Airport station
Old December 22nd, 2015, 06:26 PM   #248
dimlys1994

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...tml?channel=00

Gautrain to order additional trains
Tuesday, December 22, 2015

BOMBELA Concession Company, which operates and maintains South Africa's Gautrain commuter network, has issued a request for qualification for the design, manufacture, supply and maintenance of 12 four-car EMUs

The project will also include the expansion of the depot to accommodate the new EMUs which will be deployed to increase capacity on the 82km network, 15.3km of which is underground, and is electrified at 25kV ac. The successful bidder will also be expected to maintain the EMUs for 15 years. The network currently operates 24 four-car trains supplied by Bombardier, which are based on Britain's class 357 EMUs and are built to the British loading gauge

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages

Zaz965 liked this post
Old January 29th, 2016, 06:56 PM   #249
dimlys1994

Taken from South African railways thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicSA View Post
GAUTRAIN CONFIRMS IT'S PLANNING A MASSIVE EXTENSION

There’s good news for Gauteng commuters as the Gautrain management agency is planning to extend rail routes by 200 kilometres.

The first link may be ready in about six years.

Forty-eight new train coaches are needed to keep up with growing passenger numbers and seven companies have already expressed interest in designing and manufacturing them.

While transport officials have always vowed to extend routes across the province, it was estimated that this could take about 30 years.

The Gautrain has transported more than 50 million passengers, and now there are plans to expand the service with 48 new coaches and more routes.

“We are looking at going from the east of Pretoria, from Mamelodi, to the west of Johannesburg, to Soweto and then linking Lanseria and Cosmo, then Randburg into Sandton and then going from the airport down to Boksburg.”

http://ewn.co.za/2016/01/27/Gautrain...ady-in-6-years

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages
Old October 21st, 2016, 12:45 PM   #250
dimlys1994

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=538

Three prequalify for Gautrain EMU contract
Friday, October 21, 2016

GAUTENG minister for roads and transport Dr Ismail Vadi announced on October 20 that three bidders have prequalified for a contract to supply 12 EMUs for the Gautrain standard-gauge commuter rail network, which links Johannesburg with OR Tambo International Airport and Pretoria

The bidders include:
  • Bombardier Transportation South Africa (with Strategic Partners Group and Bombardier’s British subsidiary to provide maintenance services)
  • CRRC E-Loco Supply (CRRC Zhuzhou South Africa and Matsete Basadi), and
  • Egoli Rail Consortium (Alstom South Africa, EOH Intelligent Infrastructure and Ubumbano)

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages
Old October 27th, 2016, 05:47 PM   #251
dimlys1994

Quote:
Gautrain could soon go via Soweto

Mamelodi and the west of Johannesburg are some of the places identified as part of the expansion of the Gautrain’s network in a completed feasibility study.

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages
Old February 21st, 2017, 07:39 PM   #252
dimlys1994

Quote:
Gautrain expansion project could see local spend of up to R79bn ($5.9 billion)

The proposed expansion of the Gautrain rail system – or Gautrain 2 as it is widely known – has the capacity to create around 211 000 direct jobs, says Gauteng Human Settlements MEC Paul Mashatile.

The feasibility study showed that Gautrain 2 could potentially create an estimated R1.6-billion spend on skills, and enterprise and supplier development, noted Mashatile. Local spend on the project could reach up to R79-billion, of which 40%, or roughly R31-billion, would be to the benefit of black-owned enterprises, he added.

The rail system currently operates 96 coaches, with train configurations of either four or eight coaches, depending on time-of-day demand.

The three pre-qualified bidders for the new rolling stock project are Bombardier Transportation, CRRC E-Loco Supply and Egoli Rail Consortium.

In addition to the acquisition of more trains, the project includes the development of new depot facilities and the upgrading of the existing Gautrain signalling system.

http://www.engineeringnews.co.za/art...9bn-2017-02-14

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages

EduardSA liked this post
Old March 2nd, 2017, 08:45 AM   #253
dimlys1994

Quote:
Gautrain to expand by 12 new trains

Roads and Transport MEC Ismael Vadi says the Gautrain management agency will expand its operations with an additional 12 new trains and extended routes.

Vadi addressed members of the media at the legislature regarding his department’s plans following the premier’s State of the Province Address.
He says the Gautrain has been operating for six years and has had transported close to 80 million passengers. For this reason Vadi says the Gautrain has successfully improved public transport.

MEC Vadi says the Gautrain has generated quite a strong demand.
“Due to the growing ridership and peak hour demand 12 new train sets are required for the system and there is a process underway to acquire these trains.”

He says new stations will be built.

“Little Falls, Fourways, Sunninghill, Olivenhoutbosch, Irene, Tshwane East and Hazeldean.”

Vadi says the new trains will be operational in 2019 but the whole project is split into five phases over a 10 to 15 year period.

http://ewn.co.za/2017/03/01/gautrain...-12-new-trains
Quote:
19 new Gautrain stations planned, to include Lanseria Airport, Cradle of Humankind and Soweto

New details of the much anticipated Gautrain expansion have been revealed as three preferred bidders have been announced.

The new routes are expected to include Mamelodi, Soweto, Boksburg and Randburg, as 19 new stations are being linked -with an extension of the airport line to include links to Lanseria Airport.

Dr Ismail Vadi, Gauteng Roads and Transport MEC, says the one of the three new lines, linking from Mamelodi, will branch off to link Sandton, Randburg, Cosmo City and the Cradle of Human Kind.

According to Vadi the bidding process has been completed with three prospective bidders shortlisted for Gautrain expansion. Once the successful bidder has been announced, expected to happen in November 2018, the expansion will enter its construction phase and early operations expected in 2019.

The current Gautrain rail is 80km and is expected to be extended by 150 in the next twenty years. On the link between Jabulani via Cosmo City and Samrand to Mamelodi, stations include Roodepoort, Little Falls, Fourways, Sunninghill, Olievenhoutsbosch, Irene, Tshwane East and Hazeldean.

http://traveller24.news24.com/News/g...-kind-20170301

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages

BlackArt-ist liked this post